PDA

View Full Version : Wi Fi at BWV???

Disney Yankee
06-28-2010, 09:18 PM
I just got a new i-pad!!!!:joy: I am planning to bring it to Disney:mickey: with me next month, but I'm not sure if I will be able to get on the internet anywhere in the villa or at the Board Walk. Does anyone know?:confused:
(We usually bring a laptop, and get free internet because we are DVC members, but we use a cable to hook up. Not sure what to do with the i-pad, though.)

DizneyRox
06-28-2010, 09:37 PM
WiFi is normally only available in the public areas. I highly doubt you would get a signal in the room. You may be able to setup a wireless router to "convert" the signal, but I'm not sure.

Disney Yankee
06-28-2010, 09:42 PM
Thanks!!!:mickey:

DisneyGiant
07-04-2010, 06:36 PM
I just called the Boardwalk on another question - so I asked this one as well.

Wi-Fi is available per room upon request - but its $9.95 a day.

Cable hookup is still free for DVC members.

DizneyRox
07-04-2010, 08:46 PM
I just called the Boardwalk on another question - so I asked this one as well.

Wi-Fi is available per room upon request - but its $9.95 a day.

Cable hookup is still free for DVC members.
I believe Internet is free for DVC members, via WiFi or hardline.

Per room? I haven't a clue on how the infrastructure for that would work, unless they are providing wireless routers to rooms now. I'd call again and try for a different answer.

DisneyGiant
07-04-2010, 08:49 PM
I believe Internet is free for DVC members, via WiFi or hardline.

Per room? I haven't a clue on how the infrastructure for that would work, unless they are providing wireless routers to rooms now. I'd call again and try for a different answer.

I thought it was odd - but I am calling again to see if our villa is assigned close to the elevator tomorrow (its within the 10 days :mickey: ), so I will ask again!!!!

DisneyGiant
07-06-2010, 02:29 PM
Called the BWV again today, to check on our villa assignment and while they haven't assigned it yet, they took more notes on why we need the villa close to the elevator (medical) - so hopefully they will be able to accommodate us! Last year, I asked for one close to the elevator - and we were placed the furthest away! <== I digress ;)

Any how - its $9.95 per 24 hours for Wi-Fi in the lobby only. The rooms are hard wired - and still free for DVC - but the ipads won't work inside the villa. :(

Oh well - there's plenty to do on those without needing the internet right? ;)

The cast member suggested that we bring this up on our member surveys - as he also agrees WDW should be more Wi-Fi friendly. He thought it had something to do with who Disney has contracted out with and how long that contract has before it expires.........

DizneyRox
07-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Much of the property is "wired" for WiFi, I'm constantly asked about joining WLAN-Internet or something like that (this includes around the resorts, parks, even occasionally on the bus). So, the infrastructure is there. Why not open it up is a whole other question and could be tied to network capacity, existing contracts, or other unknowns.

With everyone and their uncle being able to utilize WiFi, this is an untapped revenue stream if you ask me. We know it won't be free, so why they are turning paying customers away is something that stock holders should be asking!

OogieBoogieMan
07-06-2010, 11:28 PM
You may want to invest in an AirPort from Apple. They are $99 and can be used as a wireless hub, in addition to a number of other things. I have hooked the Disney wired port in to it in the past and simply set up my own little mini wireless network. It is simple to do and the AirPort it totally worth the $99, you will use it at home as well. I stream music to it to play on my deck outside.

antnyh
07-09-2010, 12:53 PM
I would suggest taking whatever you use at home for wireless. You can use the same routers in the hotels. If you do buy something new, be sure to set it up at home. That will make setting up at the hotel easier since your device will automatically find your wi-fi. Hope that helps.:thumbsup:

Pirate Granny
07-09-2010, 01:32 PM
I just got an I-Pad for my BD...and used it while driving to my daughters...yes, in the car...you can purchase 3G coverage for one month...and it's only $15 for the month. A much better deal than paying $9.50 a night. It starts the day you purchase...and you don't need a contract or continuous service after the 30 days...I will get another 30 days the day before I leave for Disney on the 20th, so I can also use over Labor Day weekend driving...

Why won't I-Pads work in the Villa's...??? They should work just about anyplace.
:pirate:

antnyh
07-09-2010, 01:50 PM
I just got an I-Pad for my BD...and used it while driving to my daughters...yes, in the car...you can purchase 3G coverage for one month...and it's only $15 for the month. A much better deal than paying $9.50 a night. It starts the day you purchase...and you don't need a contract or continuous service after the 30 days...I will get another 30 days the day before I leave for Disney on the 20th, so I can also use over Labor Day weekend driving...

Why won't I-Pads work in the Villa's...??? They should work just about anyplace.
:pirate:

If the OP's iPad doesn't have 3G capability it can't be used with data service via AT&T. Just an FYI.

DizneyRox
07-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Correct, there are two versions of iPad, one is WiFi only and the other does 3G and WiFi. The 3G enabled one is like $100 more than the WiFi and many don't see the need for the 3G.