PDA

View Full Version : I am posting here b/c I figure agents are scoping this board. Got ?????

batesfamily
06-28-2010, 09:08 PM
I have been looking for a long time something that I can do from home. I am a stay at home mom of 3. I haven't been able to find anything suitable, until now I think. Upon booking my trip, the thought occurred to me I should look into becoming an agent. I am trying to research on the internet but am unable to determine which of these sites are host sites and which are strickly for booking. Also, I want to find a reputable host that displays honesty and integrity. If any of you can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you! :blush:

magicalmom
06-28-2010, 09:35 PM
If you go to the Magical Journeys website (link is at the left of each intercot page) there is a category for if you want to work for them. Our experiences with MJ have been outstanding, their commitment to each traveler is stunning. I'm confident that this organization displays honesty and integrity.

What I don't know is if they're actually hiring.:confused:

Good luck!!

dizne4me
06-29-2010, 06:40 AM
I also, am looking for something "work from home". Thanks for posting - I'll check out Magical Journeys as well.

batesfamily
06-29-2010, 10:41 AM
If you go to the Magical Journeys website (link is at the left of each intercot page) there is a category for if you want to work for them. Our experiences with MJ have been outstanding, their commitment to each traveler is stunning. I'm confident that this organization displays honesty and integrity.

What I don't know is if they're actually hiring.:confused:

Good luck!!

Thank you. I checked the site and they do not appear to be hiring. Since last night I have been able to do a little more research. I am going to do some more digging and learning. I want to make a level headed decision about the way I enter into this business.
However can you answer another question for me? I spoke with an agent yesterday that I called from a site my friend recommended. The girl was outsourced from that particular site. She seemed helpful, and I am considering letting her transfer my resv. from disney direct. However, before I do that, I have been looking for feedback on her. I have tried contacting the original site, her site, her facebook, and destinations in Florida (that is the agency that she says she works through). How do I trust her with my money and know that she is handling my reservation like I would?

DVC2004
06-29-2010, 11:13 AM
Having worked in the travel industry (although not as an agent) I can tell you it's sort of tough to break into right now. Economy is one reason. Another is most agents want prior sales experience plus experience in using the travel software (Sabre? I think it's called). Many also want a "book of business" so to speak of clients to call on. Good luck, I am not trying to discourage you, only to let you know my experience with this industry. I do hope you are able to find something though and best wishes!

batesfamily
06-29-2010, 11:21 AM
Having worked in the travel industry (although not as an agent) I can tell you it's sort of tough to break into right now. Economy is one reason. Another is most agents want prior sales experience plus experience in using the travel software (Sabre? I think it's called). Many also want a "book of business" so to speak of clients to call on. Good luck, I am not trying to discourage you, only to let you know my experience with this industry. I do hope you are able to find something though and best wishes!

Thank you. I do not want to jump into this blindly. I want to know the hard/bad stuff too.;)

DVC2004
06-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Thank you. I do not want to jump into this blindly. I want to know the hard/bad stuff too.;)

It's good to be prepared- and know what is looked it in resumes and asked in interviews. :thumbsup: If you have any past sales experience make sure you brag about that. Also if you have any networks (moms groups, PTA's, kids involved in sports) it's good to mention your affiliations so you can show who you can talk to or potentially build your business with. In essence alot of agency work is going to be finding your own business. I like to refer to it as your own lemonade stand. Again, good luck and let us know what happens. I believe you can do most things if you work hard and want it bad enough!:mickey:

Dznygrl79
06-29-2010, 01:55 PM
I am also thinking about this, and AAA offers a course ($2000) and they will train you to become a certified travel agent ( the cost includes a national certification) and you get to learn how to use Sabre, the site is unclear if you get a copy of the software or just a learning moduel. Just google AAA travel agent course and it will come up. To get Disney Certified, after you have completed your exams and have your number you can become a Disney Certified Travel Planner and use that logo. The thing I am finding is with internet bookings being offered by most companies it is going to be difficult, but not impossible, Good Luck!!

Georgesgirl1
06-29-2010, 08:25 PM
When I was laid off, I contacted several Disney travel agencies and was basically turned down by all because I did not have enough experience visiting Disney parks (I am currently planning my 30th trip). I was told that they are looking for people who have made at least 5 different trips, staying at 5 different Disney hotels within the past 5 years. I have been more than 5 times in the past 5 years, but not at 5 different hotels. I was also told that in order to book vacations for Disneyland or Disney cruises I would need to experience those things. Also, most said they were not actually hiring until next year.

Basically what that said to me was that you have to be rich to be a Disney travel agent! Their loss though. Helping people plan Disney vacations is my passion and I will do it whether it is my job or not. I am currently helping 4 families plan their Disney vacations, so the agencies that I contacted are losing out on some pretty good money from that!

Tink1
06-30-2010, 10:20 AM
Different agencies look for different things, and handle things in many different ways.

There are agencies that act as a "host" that allow you to access their system for a cost and require you to get your own clients.

There are agencies that look for independent contractors to book their clients. In other words they supply the clients for you to work on.

Depending on the client base you have or think you can get determines what type of agency position you are looking for.

In hiring agents, some agencies want travel agent experience, others want sales experience, some want combo's, some train their own and want the right "personality" to match their company.

There is no one set thing that every agency looks for other than honesty.

My advice to most wanting to start out in the business is to contact a local junior college or trade school. One you know is legit. Then do an internship at a local agency to learn the ropes. You may want to do Disney only, but trust me, learning how to handle all situations is very beneficial. There is a lot to learn from local mom and pop agencies that you will use later on.

It is not a field you get rich on. For over 15 years I worked 5-midnight at a "real" job and did the agency during the day. It was the only way to pay the bills.

Also, it is a job that goes with you everywhere, even vacation. I am currently sitting at a very pretty beach in Delaware working. Yes, I am on vacation. I am also applying PIN codes to reservations, making new reservations and checking the boards.

This is my job 24/7.

Nanc

crazypoohbear
06-30-2010, 09:17 PM
Wow, Nanc
As you were posting this, it is almost exactly what I was telling Wendy on the phone.
I know she works 24/7 because no matter when I call or email her I usually have a response within hours!
I know she has returned phone calls while out with her family even while cheering on my beloved Red Sox in Colorado!
This is a job you must love, you must love working with all kinds of personalities and you must have a family that is willing to put up with you being on the computer or blackberry at all functions and at all times of the night and day.
I know I really appreciate all the time that Wendy puts in for me!
Thank you Wendy!