PDA

View Full Version : Wdw vs dl

cfoshe
06-28-2010, 12:29 PM
My family has gone to WDW 8 times and my DW is asking to go to DL (CA). I have spoken to a couple people that have gone to both and they say DL would be a let down after going to WDW. I want to know what real Disney lovers have to say.

1. Given the choice, WDW or DL
2. Is DL a let down compared to only knowing WDW.
3. Or why should one try DL.
4. anything that would help in this topic.

Joannelet
06-28-2010, 01:38 PM
I have been to WDW over 100x's and have been a cast member there. I went 2 years ago for the first time to DL. I am not sure where you are from (I am from NJ) but I have always, always wanted to go to DL to see MK because I am a huge Walt Disney fan and I know this was his original baby
With that being said....here are the pros and cons of DL for WDW lovers.
1. It is much smaller. You don't need as many days here.
2. The restaurants are NOT hard to get into to. (not like WDW and the 180 days out nonsense etc. It is sooo much easier to make ressies for the restaurants here.
3. The characters still hang out at the hotels :) I LOVED THIS!!!
4. All the cars and transportation on Main Street is still working and in full affect. Watch out for the trolleys :)
5. They have MR. Toad's Wild Ride.
6. DL POTC blows WDW's away. It's about 16 minutes long compared to WDW's 6 minute ride.
7. They still have 20,000 leagues under the sea...although it is Nemo now but still!!! Those subs are there!!
8. DL fireworks show: OMG this BLOWS WDW out of the park!! YOU will be BEYOND thrilled to see this. I'm not even going to tell you about it but wait till you see Tinkerbell!!!
9. Their fantasmic is also really good...although you have to stand for it. I think ours is better but they have a cool ship and Tic Toc etc. It's on the water by Tom Sawyers Island in MK.
10. Cali Adventure is basically Epcot and DHS rolled all into one. I am assuming now that the renovations have started it will be MUCH better. They also have Monsters INc ride there which I LOVED and their bug world was pretty cool. It was for little ones but I loved it :) (kind of like honey I shrunk the kids playground but with bug rides. Much better then Honey I shrunk the kids playground. It has rides adults and kids can go on. I think they maybe changing this area to CARS land so I'm not sure if it's open right now or not.
11. Their New Orleans square is really neat :)
12. The light in Walt's apt is lit at night time. A reminder that he is still HOME :)
13. Take a Walk in Walts footsteps tour. You will love it.

If I think of more I will let you know...but I loved DL. I want to go back one day when they finish all the new updates.

Disneypixie513
06-28-2010, 03:08 PM
I've been to WDW 8 times and once to DL. I utterly adored DL. There is a whole other vibe to it.
Yes. it's definately smaller.
DL's POTC is so much better then WDW. There is also a Indiana Jones ride at DL that may just be my favorite ride ever.
A true Disney fan needs to visit DL at least once in their life.
It was a really neat feeling being there, knowing that it was Walt's original. :mickey:

Disney4us2
06-28-2010, 03:44 PM
I have been to WDW twice... love it!!!
I have been to Disneyland countless times. I actually lost track of how many. I live an hour from the park and have been a passholder since 1990. DD and I go almost every Saturday. I love walking down Main Street at park opening knowing that Walt did that before park opening.

If you go to the Carnation Cafe on a weekday, you might just meet Oscar who is a "retired" chef there. He can tell you stories of him and Walt.

The parks are much smaller and easier to get around. You can walk from one park to the other.... no busses needed for that. Downtown Disney is in walking distance. No busses for that either. There are only three Disney hotels, but plenty of goodneighbor ones. Some of those are actually closer than the Disneyland Hotel. Nothing though can beat the Grand Californian Hotel.

To me WDW is more of a vacation destination, many resorts/water parks/golf/hotels, etc I love to go to see the things that Disneyland doesn't have.

For us, Disneyland is home. My DD, now 10 has literally grown up there. I had her there at the age of 3 months and just kept going.

As for attractions, Disneyland has as some have mentioned. Finding Nemo Subs, Matterhorn Bobsleds, Alice in Wonderland, Mr. Toads Wild Ride, Pinocchio's Daring Adventure, Storybook Land Canals, Casey Jr. Train, Rodger Rabbit cartoon spin, Gadgets go coaster, Indiana Jones Adventure, and not to forget the original Tiki room...not the Under New Management.

DCA: Monsters Inc, Bugs land, Grizzley River Run (like Kali Rapids), Redwood Creek Challenge Trail, World Of Color...totally incredible... a real wow factor, Silly Symphony Swings, TSMM is there and the average wait is about 40 minutes, Screamin' (roller coaster). Soon to have the Little Mermaid, Cars Land, and a trolly ride in the Hollywood Backlot.

Do I feel it would be a let down.... not at all. Just go with the mindset that this is not WDW. Mainstreet has a whole different feel to me. I perfer Disneyland's to WDW. As other's have said the dining is sooo much easier to make ressies for. Just don't get the dining plan, it is nothing like WDW and not worth it, IMO. The two (WDW/DL) are so different. That makes each destination so very special.

There are a lot of southern CA attractions close in miles, but long in traffic. Knott's Berry Farm and Knott's Soak City are just 10 min away from DL. Universal Studios is just under an hour with no traffic. Six Flags (near me) is about an hour with no traffic. San Diego is about 90min with no traffic.

NewDVCowner
06-28-2010, 04:31 PM
It always irritates me when people say that people will be disappointed in Disneyland. To be fair, I consider DL to by my 'home resort.' I live up near San Francisco and it's a fairly easy 6 hour drive to get to Anaheim so I've gone to DL more times than I can count. I've gone to WDW once (but am going back this December). Yes, Disneyland is smaller, however I like that. It doesn't feel as hectic. It's easy to get between the parks, litterally across a courtyard (granted, a rather large courtyard) and you're there. It's not a huge production to get from one park to the next. Being able to get offsite for food is a huge plus. You're not trapped with Disney choices (and prices). People have already talked about all the rides that are at DL and not at WDW so I won't go there, but I will say this; I think a lot of people that say that you'll be disappointed in DL went there themselves already expecting not to enjoy it - at least as much as WDW - so it became self-fulfilling.

Go visit Disneyland. Enjoy it for what it is and don't compare it to WDW. Take it for what it is and you won't be disappointed.

RedSoxandPatsfan
06-28-2010, 04:44 PM
I would disagree with your friends. While it isn't as big as WDW there is a ton of charm and magic in Disneyland. There are many differences that, IMO, are worth seeing just for themselves. As others have mentioned POTC is much better. Indy ride is way cool. The Matterhorn is a must.

It is smaller, but that also leaves more time to explore other parts of Cali. You really only need a few days to do both DL and DCA together. So, on a seven day Vacation, that would allow time to explore Hollywood, Long Beach, Universal Studios in CA. Or even further points if you stay longer, and are willing to travel. Redwood forest, King's Canyon or south to San Diego. San Francisco to the North.

Just writting this is making me want to go back. We'll see......

beksy
06-28-2010, 05:27 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for all the info! We are going sometime next year (hopefully) for the first time as a law school graduation celebration. I've already started studying it so I appreciate the first-hand responses!

faline
06-28-2010, 05:29 PM
We've been to Disney World numerous times and Disneyland twice. I would not hesitate to visit Disneyland again but this is a much longer trip for me since I'm on the east coast. Prior posters have noted much of what Disneyland has to offer. If you go, don't go to compare Disney World to Disneyland. Experience Disneyland on its own merits.

On our last trip, we were there for a week. We went into the parks most days for at least part of the day. We did some things more than once but we do the same at Disney World. We did take two side trips - one to Universal and one to Sea World (though, in retrospect, I wish we had gone to the San Diego Zoo instead).

We stayed in a Disney hotel and generally walked to the parks from there. It was great to be able to walk to the parks without having to rely on busses. The only thing I miss is that I have yet to ride the Disneyland monorail!

AllDisney
06-28-2010, 06:31 PM
Every Disney fan should visit DL. It's where it all began:thumbsup:

1. First saw Fantasmic in DL. It holds a special place in our hearts.
2. Indiana Jones rides is AWESOME.
3. POTC MUCH better in DL.
4. Restaurants are great & you can pretty much walk in for dinner...like the old days at WDW.
5. Breakfast at Carnation Cafe. Ask for Bob if he has not retired yet. Great guy and wonderful waiter. We went in one morning and placed our order (myself, DH & DD). Next day we went back, had Bob again and he remembered us from the day before. Do you believe that? We had 3 mornings to eat there and he remembered our order each day:number1::number1:

snowflakegirl
06-28-2010, 07:38 PM
If you go to Disneyland after having experienced Walt Disney World and you're comparing the two, you might find ways in which Disneyland doesn't compare. If you take Disneyland in it's own right and enjoy it's wonder and charm, I think you will enjoy it a lot.

I was there for a brief time a few years ago (I was in Anaheim for a convention and couldn't resist adding a few days to play since I was finally near Disneyland). I LOVED it. Yes, it is smaller, but it is charming and full of character. And you can't go wrong with the fact that it's where it all began. Walking in Walt's footsteps. It is fun to see the things that feel familiar and the things that are totally a new experience. California Adventure is a lot of fun, too. A mix of DHS and a Cali version of the world showcase. I also really loved that you could walk from park to park and to Downtown Disney.

IloveDisney71
06-28-2010, 08:07 PM
I'm so glad the original poster asked this question. I've always heard the same thing about DL being a disappointment after going to WDW mulitiple times. I was just telling my DH last night that I really want to go to DL one day because that's where "it" all started. He just laughed but I'm sure I can talk him into it one day. :thumbsup:

I'm glad to hear that DL is worth the trip!

cfoshe
06-29-2010, 03:40 PM
Thanks for all the good input. I live in Missouri and it would be about a 24 hour drive to DL compaired to the 18 Hour drive to WDW. I guess I will just have to go to DL in 2012. We will be staying at one of the resorts there on properity. I see that they only have 3? How does the Monorail work there, does it connect the hotels and the parks? Do they run buses like WDW?

Done with the ? for now.

BrerGnat
06-29-2010, 04:03 PM
Thanks for all the good input. I live in Missouri and it would be about a 24 hour drive to DL compaired to the 18 Hour drive to WDW. I guess I will just have to go to DL in 2012. We will be staying at one of the resorts there on properity. I see that they only have 3? How does the Monorail work there, does it connect the hotels and the parks? Do they run buses like WDW?

Done with the ? for now.

Honestly, fly if you can. That drive takes you through some tough terrain (mountains, desert) and is rather difficult. I'd save up until you can fly. But, that's just my personal opinion. I've driven from Oklahoma to California, and found the trip brutal! (it was about 20 hours) In contrast, we used to drive as a family from NJ to WDW all the time, and that drive is fairly easy.

If you plan to come in 2012, aim for summer or later, as the ENTIRE refurb of DCA is set to be completed in mid 2012. You don't want to come all that way and then miss out.

The monorail at DL has two stations. One is at the far end of Downtown Disney (closer to Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier hotel). If you enter the train at this station, there is actually a park ticket turnstile and bag check here. That is because the other station is INSIDE Disneyland park, in Tomorrowland. The monorail is considered a "ride" if you board at the Tomorrowland station, and you can stay on for a round trip ride. However, if you get on at Downtown Disney, it's considered "park transport" and everyone must debark at the Tomorrowland station. The monorail circuit travels through DCA and the Grand Californian Hotel courtyard, but it does not stop at either.

There are NO buses at DL. The entire property is self contained. If you stay on property, you use foot power to get everywhere. A very good way to "see" how this done is to use a satellite view program such as Google Earth or Google maps. Just type in "Disneyland, CA". The longest walk would be from Disneyland or DCA front gate to the Paradise Pier hotel. It's about a 15 min walk at a leisurely pace. GCH is a quick 5 min trip from the front gates, and DLH is approx. a 10 min walk. The "walk" goes through Downtown Disney.

If at all possible, plan to stay at either DLH or GCH (my personal favorite). DLH is undergoing a complete renovation, including new pool/slide area and new restaurant options. It looks really amazing what they are planning to do. GCH, however, is the "crown jewel" of the DLR. It's magnificent, all the way around.

c&d
06-29-2010, 04:33 PM
We went to DL about 6 years ago and I loved it. I had wanted to go since I was little and finally being able to go was a dream come true.

It is a very different experience than WDW but every bit as magical. The rides are all just a little bit different making them seem like new rides. I love small world in DL, it's what I remember from the NY World's Fair.

We stayed at the GC and loved it, we looked out over CA and saw both the bear and as we called it "the Mickey Head roller coaster." Staying there was really nice since we went on the rapids ride and got soaked. It was a quick jaunt back to the hotel to change into dry clothes.

When we were there the monorail was not like at WDW, you had to be seated and we had to show our room key to board the monorail.