PDA

View Full Version : Best shoes to wear

xo0ally
06-27-2010, 09:13 PM
When i go to Disney i usually go in July so it is extremely hot and humid. I like to wear flip-flops in the parks, but can no longer wear them :(. I hate wearing socks and sneakers in the parks because i feel like my feet are suffocating. Any other options where i don't have to wear socks that would be suitable for a lot of walking?

finaldynasty
06-27-2010, 10:11 PM
Just got back from a week at WDW this evening and my entire family wore crocs that had been broken in the entire week. my DS and I ankle socks with ours but my wife and DDs did not. In past years, I wore sneaker and socks in late June, but need a change. Have a great trip!

DisneyLuver91
06-27-2010, 10:15 PM
I know they are technically flip flops, but Fit-Flops are my shoe of choice. They are so comfortable, have arch support, AND keep my feet cool and dry.

CaptSmee
06-27-2010, 11:21 PM
Just got home yesterday and I mixed it up. Wore sneaks & ankle socks some days, flip flops/sandals others. Was totally comfortable all week.

distrips
06-28-2010, 12:37 AM
Another vote for Crocs and while you say no flip flops, I highly recommend you try the Croc flip flops. They are the best thing for my problem feet.

JoF
06-28-2010, 05:25 AM
Definitely another vote for crocs - there are so many styles that you are bound to find one for you - flip flops, clogs, wedges, slip ons - all in fab colours - and they weigh next to nothing.
:thumbsup:

Marymouse2003
06-28-2010, 05:27 AM
Try a good broken in pair of walking sandals, like BearTraps of Birkenstocks. Good luck!!

p.s. whatever you decide, don't wear a "New" pair of anything!

DizneyRox
06-28-2010, 06:17 AM
All I bring to Disney in the summer is Tevas. They are GREAT! I find them very comfortable, they are supportive, they breathe, and they dry out like nobody's business.

Sneakers in the summer are asking for trouble. You sweat, they stink, and once wet, you can usually plan on them being wet the rest of the day (or longer) and stink the rest of the week.

Disney Doll
06-28-2010, 06:50 AM
I was the last person to join the Crocs bandwagon because they're so odd looking, but they are seriously comfortable and now they have other styles besides the clog.

pixiesmimi
06-28-2010, 10:18 AM
Crocs and Fit Flops are my shoes of choice. Wore them the whole trip last summer and never had a problem with my feet, which I have had in the past, even with sneakers.

snowflakegirl
06-28-2010, 07:08 PM
I was never a fan of crocs, but I wore the Mickey Crocs the last time I was in the world and I was totally sold. They might not be pretty to look at, but they breath, allow your feet air, you can get them wet (on purpose even if you need to cool down) and they dry out, you don't need socks...

I've always had sore feet by day three or so of my trips. You know, where you're standing in line alternating between standing on one foot or the other...I did not have any soreness the entire trip wearing my crocs every day!

Tinksmom
06-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Another vote for Fit Flops. They even come in styles that wrap over your foot, instead of between your toes like most flip flops. I have to say I LOVE my Skechers Shape Up flip flops, too. They are the more traditional thong style shoe though.
Have Fun!

Disney Day Dreamer
06-28-2010, 10:59 PM
When I go... I either wear sneakers, Crocs or Tevas (which are water-proof hiking sandals). It really depends on the weather and the park though...

DVC2004
06-29-2010, 12:02 AM
Although I hate the look of Crocs I broke down and got a pair. They are pretty comfortable. Break them in first. I can't stand sneakers and socks either. Esp. on a water ride- forget it! Walking around in soggy wet socks and sneakers is the pits. I usually go the flip flop way but since that is not an option check out crocs. They have alot of different kinds now, too, if you don't care for the traditional looking sort.

TheVBs
06-29-2010, 08:40 AM
I always wear Birkenstocks to the parks. They aren't the prettiest either but my feet never hurt when I wear them. They don't feel the greatest when wet however, so that's where Crocs or Teva's might be a better choice, although I've never tried either.

indytraveler
06-29-2010, 09:03 AM
I've always been a sneaker person with ankle socks. The sneakers I wear are my running shoe so these are a lightweight mesh fabric shoe. Very breathable. might try those.

I may have to get some crocs though, still think they would be uncomfortable

nicjohn3
06-29-2010, 09:36 AM
What ever you choose--plan on something that is fairly "old and broken in". If you walk as much as we do...plan on getting rid of them when you get home because you will wear holes in at the heels.

Last two trips, kids had to throw shoes away because they wore them out...so no more brand new shoes on this end and no complaining about feet hurting.

Have fun!

Loweschevy
06-29-2010, 09:54 AM
I too am a sneaker and sock person. I like my Birkenstocks, but could not go all day wearing them. It really depends on what you are comforatable in for several hours and miles per day.

I usually buy new sneakers a few weeks before vacation, but only break them in slightly because they are going to get a workout at WDW.

KAT1811
06-29-2010, 10:35 AM
I love my Easy Spirit slip on sneakers. They give me the support that I need to be comfortable all day long. The nice part is that they have no back similar to a flip flop. (I live in flip flops all summer long). When it is really hot and steamy I can slip my feet out and air them out.

PopPhan
06-29-2010, 11:33 AM
I have to have orthotic inserts due to scoliosis, so flip flops, sandals, crocs, etc. are out of the question for me in the parks. (I can wear them for short periods at home, but would pay dearly with back pain if I did too much in them.)

What I DO wear is ASCIS mesh top cross trainers with ankle socks (haven't tried the shoe top style socks, but they should work as well.) These shoes breathe very nicely and I can have my inserts for back and arch support.

Whatever you DO wear, make sure they are well broken in and comfortable! Good luck!

Daisy'sMom
06-29-2010, 11:41 AM
Crocs and croc flip flops. I had back surgery back in March and wore birkenstocks for my first Disney outing, was miserable, crocs for the second and was in heaven.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-01-2010, 08:31 PM
I usually wear a couple of different pair of crocs, tevas, sneakers and now I have fit flops which I've worn around the city the past few days. I've done a lot of walking in them and they are so comfortable. But I always try to mix up what I wear each day.

Disney Yankee
07-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Just bought tevas-breaking them in, and hoping for a comfortable trip. Still bringing my fit flops, but don't find them totally comfy, especially on really long walking days!

TracyL
07-03-2010, 01:08 AM
If you can find them, Skechers is now making Shape-Ups sandals in styles that are actually kind of cute. But they only have them at a few stores (Florida Mall is one of them). If you're lucky enough to live near one of those stores or willing to make a trip over to the Florida Mall from WDW, check them out. I bought a pair and wore them out of the store and into the parks for a long afternoon, and brand new out of the box they felt like I'd had them forever. Incredibly comfortable and supportive, and they even help with muscle tone. And being sandals, they breathe.

Between my new sandals and my older pair of mary jane-style Shape-Ups, I pretty much don't wear anything else for a day at the parks anymore.

GottaluvTiggr
07-07-2010, 10:50 AM
When I'm at Disney, I wear tennis shoes. I really don't like crocs at Disney because when my feet sweat, they slide in the crocs. Also I trip over my own feet all the time, and I found that when I wear crocs I tend to trip even more.

Disney Yankee
07-08-2010, 06:11 PM
Thanks to anyone who recommended Teva sandals. I just got some and they are so comfy! We're off to Disney in 7 days, so I'll report back to let everyone know how much I like them in WDW!!!:mickey:

TikiLounger
07-09-2010, 12:00 PM
M daughter and I both wore our FitFlops during our trip in June. Heavenly! Also, I have a pair of Sanuks that are SO comfortable. I felt like I was walking barefoot. Really.

Disneyglamour
07-12-2010, 01:29 PM
CROCS!! Absolutely LOVE them! I always wore the flip flops but I bought some of the mary janes and they are super comfortable too! I even got cute mickey mouse head jibbets with rhinestones to put in them :)

mattandmandy
07-12-2010, 03:09 PM
CROCS! Definitely!! Also, if you plan any water rides socks and sneakers can be a problem.

EJS-Houston
07-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Several years ago I went to a podiatrist for the first time in my life regarding foot pain. I was just weeks away from a WDW vacation, and my podiatrist told me that there are 2 vacation destinations in the Continental U.S. that raise an immediate red flag for podiatrists: New York City and WDW. Both require more extensive walking on hard, paved surfaces than just about anywhere else. Consequently, it's advisable to wear the most comfortable walking shoes you can get with the best arch support.

LynBug
07-12-2010, 04:14 PM
I've just worn tennis shoes for the past 2 years to WDW, and I enjoy the comfort. However, it does make your feet hot, and last year it rained so much that my shoes got soaked. It takes forever for tennis shoes to dry! This year I'm going to try out these sandal-type tennis shoes (like Merrell or Teva) which are good for walking/hiking. they have the straps like sandals so your feet can breathe, but have the support and comfort of a tennis shoe. Plus, they dry a lot faster if you do get caught in the rain :thumbsup:

Jodi
07-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Land's End sandals, I will NEVER go without them again. I spent too many years with painful blisters from just not good walking shoes. Finally found these Lands End sandals and had NO problems wearing them for over a week in Disney. I bring my most comfortable tennis shoes too, but, like you, my feet need to breath. I also bring a pair of my most comfortable flip flops to wear to and from pools and food courts. We leave in 4 weeks!

Katzateer
07-19-2010, 07:52 AM
Crocs are what I wear. No one else in the family does but after being caught in some afternoon storms in tennis shoes I will not walk around in wet shoes and socks again.

If you get them in black you can even wear them if you need to dress a little nicer. No one notices the black shoes.....we got stuck in a really bad storm on our way to Cirque and were able to get new shirts so we didn't freeze during the show, but I was the only one that had dry feet

madhatterrules
07-19-2010, 08:28 AM
I love my Keen Sandals, open for air flow but they have a covered toe so you don't get injured. Plus they can get wet and dry out quickly. I've seen a lot of people mention crocs but I can't get a pair to fit me right. I'm in between 2 sizes. The Keen's ahve great arch support too.:thumbsup:

Dznygrl79
07-19-2010, 12:14 PM
Its really a personal thing, I have a pair of Crocs that are able to have an my supports put in them and I wear them to the water parks, but I wear my New Balance trainers at the parks because I have been stepped on and had my feet ran over too many times.
Whatever you do make sure you are comfortable it is very easily possible to pack on many miles in one day!

scalice
07-19-2010, 08:54 PM
Another vote for Keen Newport H2. Waterproof, comfortable and very sturdy. My whole family wears them. They are a little pricey, but last forever. You can usually get good deals online.

biodtl
07-19-2010, 11:11 PM
I was going to say Croc patras, which is what I wear and they are great, but thinking about them made me realize I need a new couple of pairs and i discovered they aren't made anymore! There's only a few sizes left!

However - the crocs sandals in general are really comfortable for long periods and they have pretty good support. Plus, they now have a huge selection, so you can choose heel, support, etc that suits you.

WDW Forever
07-23-2010, 12:45 AM
I at first thought Crocs were horrible looking, but once I put them on, I refuse to wear anything else unless I have to. :mickey:

Mitzie
07-23-2010, 08:33 AM
We are headed down to Disney in Oct. I am in the market for some new shoes for the trip. Our first year I wore my Mary Jane style Crocs...loved them. DH even broke down and bought a pair for the second trip. On that second trip I wore the same two pair of Crocs and got terrible blisters. My DH thinks it was because it was warmer with more humidity than our other trip. I bought some hikers from Lands End for this past spring break and yep blisters again. Help. I have been looking at a pair of Teva sandles. I also read here about some lotions or things that can be rubbed on the foot to prevent blisters, definitely want to try that stuff. Can Crocs stretch out too much or something the reason my foot slid around so much to give me blisters...:scratch:

diz_girl
07-26-2010, 04:45 PM
Another vote for Keen Newport H2. Waterproof, comfortable and very sturdy. My whole family wears them. They are a little pricey, but last forever. You can usually get good deals online.

Based on your and madhatter's recommendations, I just got a pair of Keen Newport H2 sandals for my DS3. He has wide feet and these shoes run wide, so they were a good fit. He got them in green and loves the color. They are really rugged (especially over the toes) and have great arch support.

Both of the two children's shoe stores where I 've bought my son's shoes don't recommend crocs for anything other than short beach trips because they offer no support. Since they don't offer support, when people wear them all the time their feet begin to spread and they have trouble fitting into normal shoes when the weather changes. My DS's feet are wide enough, so I don't need them getting any wider.

I need to wear customized orthotics, so I wear my running shoes to the parks with my orthotics inside and I'm pretty comfortable.

brownie
07-26-2010, 05:15 PM
I like to wear low-cut lightweight hikers. I like to wear waterproof but breathable ones, typically with Gore-Tex. I break them in ahead of the trip, and have never had a problem with my feet getting too hot or sweaty. I can't wear sandals because of my flat feet. I'll put my shoes over the air conditioner at night to help dry them out for the next day. Stuffing your shoes with newspaper will work, too.

wdwvacationeer
07-26-2010, 06:07 PM
I wear croc flip flops almost all the time; however, I have to be careful on painted surfaces that are wet, such as: by Epcot fountains, painted on lines, or after it rains because they tend to slide. I have firsthand experiences in all of these places mentioned because I have done some ungainly splits on wet pavement while wearing my croc flip flops in each of these places. I wear them anyway because they are sooooo comfortable.

Disney Yankee
07-26-2010, 08:52 PM
Just got back! Tevas were great!

Michelle15
07-27-2010, 11:43 AM
I just ordered my very first pair of Crocs flip flops for our upcoming trip in 53days :mickey:

Wolf
07-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Tevas are pretty high but you can find offbrands, its the style really that ya want I think, but they are enclosed sandals that have toe protection. I got some that I think are "Coldwater Creek" at a thrift store and I wear em all the time. They are super comfy and give more support than flip flops without being enclosed and your toes still get air.
That would be my suggestion, i love me some crocs but my feet get achey after a few days in them at the parks.

DisneyaHolic
07-27-2010, 04:42 PM
I have several styles now, and absolutely love them. For Disney World, however, the h2 is the best because they really can get wet (which, between water rides and flash showers, happens quite often!) and they seem to have good support. I just wish they were easier to get on and off!

captigger
07-27-2010, 09:27 PM
I alternate teva's and sneakers. it always seems to work out fine.

exvagirl
07-28-2010, 08:54 PM
Though I'm only 14, I've gone to WDW many times during the summer and I wear VERY thin socks (only to prevent rubbing or blisters) and a walking/running type sneaker like Reeboks or Nikes...my family does get the park at opening and they sometimes have to kick us out when it closes (just kidding) so comfy shoes are a MUST...whatever works for you is best though...only other advice is try to take a walk around your neighborhood or house in the shoes that you are planning to wear to test them out and break them in...hope this helps and have fun!!! :D