PDA

View Full Version : "Why don't you go someplace else?"

Going2HeavenRU
06-27-2010, 05:34 PM
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this but has anyone else been constantly asked why you go to Disney so often? I wish I had a dollar for every time I was asked if I ever considered going some place else for a change.

My standard answer is, I have traveled extensively and found that Disney is the place I have the most fun and I like to go there. I would like to tell them to "mind their own business" but I restrain myself.

I am curious what others say when faced with this question.

debandbub
06-27-2010, 05:39 PM
I usually explain that it is no different than people who visit Vegas year after year, or people who go to the same campsite, or beach house, etc. Chances are, the person asking IS one of those people who visit the same vacation spot year after year. And I also throw in the fact that it's constantly changing, and after 10 trips we still haven't seen everything. AND, I explain that the place is just so darn MAGICAL- it's inexplicable. :)
What I'd like to say, is that if they'd like to pay for my next vacation, then they are more than welcome to give input as to where we should go. :thedolls: Is that bad??

faline
06-27-2010, 05:43 PM
We just don't bring it up any more. We only discuss our Disney trips with fellow Disney addicts and close family members who are used to our "eccentricities".

Going2HeavenRU
06-27-2010, 05:44 PM
I hope you don't mind but I am going to quote you next time I get asked! :thumbsup:

Ksmith75
06-27-2010, 06:04 PM
We always get that...even today, someone brought it up. We go every year and have for the past 4 years and are going next year. I am always polite when we answer, but to a few I say "Because we can."

GAN
06-27-2010, 06:11 PM
We do go someplace else.... let's see just back from Italy, then there was DC, San Diego, Napa, NYC, Zion National Park, Vegas. Somehow we manage to fit Disney in, although we're on a brief hiatus right now(2 years)-but we'll be back next year!

Madame Leona
06-27-2010, 06:26 PM
The people who know us ask when we are going back...I have no problem talking to them about our trips. Otherwise, I really don't say anything to anyone else since it is just none of their beeswax.

LudwigVonDrake
06-27-2010, 06:27 PM
My answer? Because I don't want to! Most people don't understand and I gave up a long time ago trying to explain :mickey:

chefmickey3
06-27-2010, 06:44 PM
We run into this all the time too! Most people near us go to the Jersey shore every weekend. I have given up explaining - I just change the subject with people like that.

Although I am winning converts all the time. And people know who to go to when their kids are "old enough" to go to Disney.

PopPhan
06-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Heck, we've gotten past that point...the question now is "When is your next trip to WDW?" Most people who ask are looking for information for themselves!

I told DW that the only thing I demand is that we take at least one solid week of vacation somewhere away from home. We still take short trips elsewhere (I get 23 days vacation time due to being with the company almost 20 years, and she is considered 'part-time' on her weekend position nursing job.) It just happens that WDW is the place we have both decided fits our lifestyle for a relaxing, fun, enjoyable vacation.

caryrae
06-27-2010, 07:27 PM
I do get tired of people who ask why don't you go somewhere else. Some even get kinda mad about it it seems. I usually just say until you start paying for my vacation don't worry but where we want to go.

EeyoresBestFriend
06-27-2010, 07:48 PM
Gawd I hate that question ~ :thedolls:

I'm a big person now and I will holiday wherever I want, as many times as I want. I don't need anyones permission or approval. :razz:

And if you ever went to WDW you probably would never go back to Mexico. . . .:D

Can you tell I've heard it a few(too many) times!!! :rolleyes:

Tekneek
06-27-2010, 08:06 PM
This is funny to me, because it sounds like this applies to most people who would be at Intercot. People used to be that way with us, but now they know it is just something that is important to us. For a long time my wife tried to pretend that the Disney thing was just my thing and not hers, but now she admits sharing that.

forever a child
06-27-2010, 09:11 PM
I don't mention it much to my parents. They think it is a waste of $. I try not to discuss it with people much because I know they don't "get it."

But I am fortunate to have a friend next door who also is a Disney Addict! She also love HP and was planning a trip to US this Oct along with their Disney trip and was going to give us a report. She just emailed me to tell me that they decided to cancel their US and just stay at WDW since DD is not wanting to see anything but HP park and they didn't think it was worth the cost just for that. So she was apologizing that she wouldnt be able to give us the trip report. I thought it was funny, cause well...it's their vacation and I understand! But it is great to have someone to chat about Disney with and discuss planning with. She has also giving me some great tips and lent me books.

Married-2-WDW-nut
06-28-2010, 08:07 AM
I hate that question too. answers vary from:
1. The truth (but they usually still don't understand)
2. Tell them that I'm OCD & have to go to Disney
3. Tell them that the Doctor prescribes it

Most of my real friends know that I'm just plain crackers and think that's the reason. However, I couldn't care less. I KNOW WHY I GO

PetefromRI
06-28-2010, 09:13 AM
I really have to agree with every poster on this subject.My wife and I get soooooo tired of people who are constantly on us because"there's plenty of other places to see in the world".It's our trip,it's what makes us happy and we find it to be the safest and most enjoyable place in the world.We love the restaurants and find that it's quite affordable in comparison to other vacation places and we can opt to just lay around and do nothing or we can go to the parks or DTD and stay busy.We even take time to catch a movie every now and then.
Why does it bother some people so much that my wife and I have found the perfect vacation spot for us?Maybe it's because they are workaholics and they don't ever take time to stop and smell the roses or maybe they went once when their kids were little and it turned out to be stressful.I know that as adults going alone we have found that we have so much fun and we actually have more fun now than when we took our kids.Now were starting to take our adult kids with their kids and I couldn't think of anywhere better to go.
We also don't go on vacation so that we can sit at the bar all day although it can be done at Disney,and that's fine if it's your thing,but we opt for a little bit more of the innocent stuff.I'm in contruction and am inundated with "real life" on a daily basis and it's so nice to get away to an innocent place with no swearing and where most people are happy all the time.That,my friends,is what a vacation is all about to us!

betteratmk
06-28-2010, 09:31 AM
We always get the same tirade, "aren't you sick of Disney yet?"I honestly don't understand why it bothers people, heck I don't care where they vacation. We have a Large family!! 7 kids and only one at home now! So the 6 that were mushed together didn't get to go as often as the one who's left at home now!!! We;ve been taking him at least once a year for the past 10 years, why ? because he loves it.( and we do too!) :D

Jeniflower
06-28-2010, 11:30 AM
We are so past that point. We only get two questions now
1) so have you booked yet?
2) how many days to go

and for the record 69 days and counting :mickey:

marlyn
06-28-2010, 01:39 PM
I get this all the time too and I don't really go that often. Every 2-3 years has been our norm and I still get that question!! Go figure. :confused:

I was there in March and decided a few weeks ago to go back in August! My boys are so excited. We have never been twice in one year before (not because we didn't want to, but because we live so far). I was asked...

"Weren't you just there?"
"Won't the rides all be the same"
"How many times does a kid have to see Mickey Mouse?"
"Are you crazy?"

I responded with. "Yes, we were just there. Aren't we lucky? It isn't just about the rides. You can never get enough Mickey Mouse and yes, I am crazy. Crazy about Disney!!" :mickey:

TheVBs
06-28-2010, 07:16 PM
2. Tell them that I'm OCD & have to go to Disney

:funny: May I borrow that one?

Disney Yankee
06-28-2010, 09:11 PM
I get that all of the time, too. It used to bother me :mad:, but it is really no one's business. We love Disney, and we choose to save up for it every year, and that's our choice!!!:mickey: I actually feel bad for people who don't like Disney enough to understand why we go every year!!! I just don't get it!!!:confused:

Disney Day Dreamer
06-28-2010, 11:08 PM
All the time! At this point... its a bit of a joke among those who know me best. But I still can't understand their disbelief... Disney is just... Disney. Its "practically perfect in every way", to quote Mary Poppins.
I've been to Europe and honestly, I prefer Disney World to Europe. That's just me, but...

Rosemickey68
06-29-2010, 12:16 AM
I get asked that all the time. I think some of my co-workers think I'm nuts! I don't care though. I have grown up on Disney in one form or another and I just love it! Although we have thought or talked about going to other places....we usually change our minds and end up planning another Disney trip. We just love it!
I have a co-worker that constantly says "I wish I could take my family to WDW, but I just can't afford it". I'm not judging, but this is someone for example who buys the new and improved $300 and up purses everytime you turn around (to each their own). I always tell her, well the money you spend on your purses, I would put towards a trip to WDW, you like your expensive purses, I like Disney trips! This is just one example.
My co-workers always say "so your going to Disney again, don't you get tired of that place?" "isn't it for kids". My philosophy, Some people just don't get it if they have never been, or they don't have that kid inside of them still to be able to experience the magic.
I like going to Disney as it makes me feel like a kid again and I love seeing all the kids faces when they see the characters for the first time, to me that is priceless!

kemps@wdw
07-04-2010, 11:56 PM
WHY ? :shrug:

#1disneyfan
07-05-2010, 08:50 PM
I get that all the time also. It bothers me a bit. And it is generally our only family vacation every year. We do weekend trips to LBI, but that is only thanks to my grandmother who has a house there.

This year, I was actually apprehensive to tell my mom. She always makes comments about the money we spend at WDW and that it is a waste of money, etc.. But I told her that I got a great deal and that my DD14 wanted to go there for her 8th grade graduation, and then I changed the subject quickly. I hate being made to feel guilty for something that brings my family joy!

And lastly we tried another vacation last year. We did a road trip to DC and then to the Canadian side of Niagara. It was very nice, but disappointing compared to our usual ;).

:mickey:

AdventurerKim
07-05-2010, 09:16 PM
We get that as well but either shrug it off or just give a bland answer, like "because we want to." It's like people who go to the beach all the time; why keep going back to a beach? Some colleagues assume we got to WDW every time we're off from work which is not true, and sometimes that assumption bothers me. Others ask when we're going back, which is fine. We do travel elsewhere, but WDW is where we go regularly and will go at any opportunity. I went to Hawaii last summer and WDW, to Carmel, CA, Los Angeles (and DL), and Las Vegas. Next summer is an Alaska cruise for our 10th anniversary. Can't wait for that!

No place compares to WDW bc it is like a second home and is an escape from the grind of daily life. :mickey:

aquarisis
07-13-2010, 12:47 PM
We get that question as well.

I find that people who think we'll get sick of Disney, don't know all that Disney has to offer. This is a great time to education them that Disney is more than just rides and characters; it's great dining, amazing shows, water parks, parasailing, fishing, spas, shoppings and all in the clean detail-oriented perfection of the Disney environment. In fact, I think I could spend an entire Disney vacation and never go on one ride because of everything else Disney has to offer.

When I tell that to people, they have to admit, that Disney does make magic happen.

BluewaterBrad
07-13-2010, 07:31 PM
We just don't bring it up any more. We only discuss our Disney trips with fellow Disney addicts and close family members who are used to our "eccentricities".

Yes.:mickey:

jrkcr
07-14-2010, 06:39 AM
We've got this same thing, from someone who recently said "i thought since your kids are older now, you wouldn't have to keep going back, spending all that money...grumble, grumble"

I was in shock, wasn't even sure what to say to that. Our kids are 18, 16, and 10! I am so grateful that our "older" kids still want to go, and ride "kiddie" rides, and sing along to the silly songs with me, and aren't embarrassed to be playing a fiddle onstage with a bunch of hillbillies!

And we do take trips to other places- but nothing is as relaxing and fun as WDW/DL! You either get it, or you don't! :mickey:

DiannaJ
10-25-2010, 07:32 PM
I always tell them it's my Happy Place..:cloud9: They always say they just don't understand and I tell them it's most likely because they haven't ever been there to know why I enjoy it so much. This will be my 6th trip coming up in 9 days since 2007. :thumbsup:

Disney Hungarian
10-25-2010, 09:18 PM
I always tell them it's my Happy Place..:cloud9:

Good answer!

I have faced this question for many years. I am a world traveler. I haven't "worked" in almost two years. I just enjoy all of the options Disney has to offer. I can do a Disney vacation my way. It is hard to explain, as you are all aware. I usually just ask them, "where do you suggest I go then?" When they answer, I can usually tell them, "been there, done that, and didn't like it." I have had amazing vacations at amazing locations, yet I always compare them to a Disney trip. Somehow, they all have their plus and minuses and so does Disney. But, the truth is; once you know how to plan a Disney vacation, it is the most fun. I don't have any kids and I can honestly go anywhere I want. Truth is: I am.:mickey:

disneyboundagain
10-25-2010, 11:00 PM
I didn't realize there was anywhere else....

But seriously, DW and I were just talking during dinner tonight about going somewhere new....Disneyland

DisneyDudet
10-26-2010, 12:00 AM
I get asked that a lot at work, as well. People think I'm weird or something, but oh well. I do go other places, and like other places. I usually tell them that I have found it much cheaper to go to WDW than it is to go to Vegas. I mean, you can stay at a value that is cheaper than a hotel in Vegas or NYC, food is about the same price, and your entertainment for ALL DAY is the only thing that may be more expensive, but, depending on what you might do and see in NYC or Vegas, it could be cheaper.

I also tell them that it is a pure escape from reality. I, personally, thrive on that. I don't want to worry about driving, making schedules, dealing with the negativity of society, bad news, etc. The only responsibility I have is to have fun.

Plus, where else can you experience customer service like Disney has?

buzznwoodysmom
10-26-2010, 10:24 AM
I'm fortunate enough that many of our close family and friends also love WDW. They may not go as often as we do, but they understand our love for it.

But, we still get those questions from others. I've pointed out that its the same as people who go to the same beach and stay in the same beach house every year. Same as people who go snow skiing in Colorado every year for Mardi Gras. I don't understand why its "OK" for those people to vacation where they want year after year, but Disney should't be a repeat destination???? And what I really don't get is that these people who question us know that we travel all over, not just WDW. My kids have been to WDW around 11 times now, but they've been to over 11 other places besides WDW. Still some people don't think a WDW vacation should be more than a once in a lifetime trip. I've decided to just tell them that we do it because we can and we want to. I got tired of trying to explain a long time ago.