PDA

View Full Version : Going to Acadia National Park, Maine

Davyjones
06-26-2010, 10:30 PM
Hey gang,

My wife and I will be going to Acadia National Park in Maine in August and I was wondering what should we make sure to see while we are over there? Sights, landmarks, restaurants ( :D ) , those types of things. We'll be there for 4 days so we probably have time to see lots of stuff. I heard there is a boat that takes you out to see the puffins on an island, which sounds like fun. Any suggestions are appreciated! :) Thanks everyone!

DJ

GAN
06-27-2010, 07:30 AM
Have you checked on trip advisor? They have a forum that would be a huge help. Just search Acadia National Park once you're in the site. Never travel without T/A.

Davyjones
06-27-2010, 10:38 AM
Have you checked on trip advisor? They have a forum that would be a huge help. Just search Acadia National Park once you're in the site. Never travel without T/A.

Thanks for the help, GAN! I'll check out Trip Advisor then. Appreciate your advice!! :thumbsup:

CPT Trips
06-27-2010, 01:53 PM
Sunrise on Cadillac Mountain.

Bike ride down from the top of Cadillac.

Visit the "other sides" of the park.

madhatterrules
06-29-2010, 10:24 AM
We were there last August. My daughter loved it! As did my husband & I. The Bus Tour through the NP Service was great! Parking in the park is a nightmare and the bus got us to all the great spots and we learned a lot. There is a small park in the center of town (Bar Harbor) that is on a hillside and has magnificent views of the water & ships; pack a picnic and have lunch there one afternoon. There is also an ice cream shop that has Lobster Ice Cream-you have to at least sample it. We ate at a wonderful restaurant called
McKAY'S PUBLIC HOUSE
231 Main Street
Bar Harbor, Maine 04609
288-2002

The Lobster Mac & Cheese was awesome! As was the Lobster dinner and other food our group had ordered. My husband loved the Fish & Chips.

You will have a great time! :thumbsup:

Davyjones
06-30-2010, 01:06 PM
Thanks guys! :thumbsup: I've heard about watching the sunrise on Cadillac Mountain; my wife and I are talking about going to see it! I guess it just depends on how difficult it is to get there (and how early we'll need to wake up ;) ). Lobster ice cream, eh? Not sure about that one, but I'm always willing to try anything once. The lobster mac and cheese sounds great! Lots of good food up there I hear!

Thanks again for the suggestions, guys! :mickey:

Katzateer
07-01-2010, 08:22 AM
Sunrise on Cadillac Mountain.

ONe of my favorite memories. And eating lobster on the beach

Janmac
07-05-2010, 11:45 PM
This was a few years ago, but we enjoyed the sunset horse carriage ride we went on in the national park. You can go to nps.gov/acad and maybe find info about the carriage rides, if they're still doing them.

We also did several (free) ranger led walks/talks. One interesting one was mostly about tidal pools.

Jan

Davyjones
07-07-2010, 06:53 PM
Thanks Katzateer and Janmac!! :D We are talking about going on some ranger led activities. We'll have to see what is going on, but the carriage ride sounds nice!!

And so does eating lobster!!!! :chef:

darthmacho
07-08-2010, 02:49 PM
Great idea for a non-WDW trip. Our summer vacations have all been in New England the past four years, and we've penciled in Bar Harbor for 2011!
Since we've never been, these suggestions are based on my own ideas and research on things to do for our stay. One thing I plan to do on our first full day is to take a comprehensive bus/trolly tour of Acadia on our first full day, if only to get the lay of the land.
Other ideas I've had are the aforementioned Puffin cruise, the lighthouse cruise, and the whale watch. I imagine you could spend your entire stay there on the water if you chose. but I LOVE the Cadillac Mountain sunrise idea. Of course, there's lots of nature to take in too. Maybe a hike, or some kayaking? Not sure who you're going with, or what you like to do on vacations, but there will be a LOT to choose from in your four days.
Have fun! :mickey:

diz_girl
07-08-2010, 04:10 PM
If you go to the top of Cadillac Mountain, bring a sweater or sweatshirt. Even in August, it gets chilly and windy at the top, so you need some extra clothes to enjoy it more. Oh, and if you want to watch the sunrise, you might want to bring a flashlight.

Simba's Mom
07-17-2010, 06:59 PM
Hey gang,

I heard there is a boat that takes you out to see the puffins on an island, which sounds like fun. Any suggestions are appreciated! :) Thanks everyone!

DJ

I'd love to know if you get to see the puffins. DH and I are birders-Atlantic Puffins would be awesome to see. Please post here after August as to whether that boat trip was worthwhile, and you saw lots of puffins.

Mad About Mickey
07-18-2010, 08:21 AM
Our family loves Acadia, one of our favorite National Parks. The top of Cadillac is accessable by car and watching the sunrise must be impressive, we'll have to try it next time we're up. Aslo along the loop road are numerous turn offs with great views. Thunder Hole is really neat, a series of holes in the rocks that the incoming surf blows up through. If it is a high surf day the display is awesome. No trip to the park for us would be complete without a trip to Jordan Pond House, they have tables out on the lawn and you can have tea and popovers, or a complete menu if you want. My wife and DD's get the biggest kick out of eating on the lawn here. Make sure you check the National Park Service web site, they have a wealth of usefull information to help you plan your trip.

We have done a whale watch from Bar harbor and it was a lot of fun. While we were going out to the whale 's location a pod of dolphins were playing in the wake coming of the bow of the ship, it was pretty neat and there were about 6 whales we saw as well.

If you feel like straying a little from Bar Harbor, one hour east is a wonderfully preserved 17th century military fort, Fort Knox and since our last trip they have rebuilt the Penobscot Narrows bridege which is adjacent to Fort Knox. The bridge has a 420' observation tower that has an elevator and is open to the public.

Have a wonderful trip and enjoy Acadia.

Davyjones
07-18-2010, 02:07 PM
I'd love to know if you get to see the puffins. DH and I are birders-Atlantic Puffins would be awesome to see. Please post here after August as to whether that boat trip was worthwhile, and you saw lots of puffins.

I definitely will! My wife is big on birds, although I wouldn't call her a birder. I'll let you know if we do and what company we used to go out!

Thanks for the info and suggestions, everyone!! :D Our trip is coming up quickly, so we're starting to narrow down our choices of what we're going to do out there. There's just so much to do! It's going to be tough picking out stuff from such a great list!!