PDA

View Full Version : Coffee

maleficant mommy
06-25-2010, 11:56 PM
DH is VERY!!!!! picky about coffee and must have at least one cup before he can be around other people. He hates the Nescafe and is wondering where the good coffee is. We will be staying at the Beach club on our next trip and only going to the water parks. Any suggestions??????:coffee:

Fastpasssteve
06-26-2010, 12:29 AM
OK, here's the deal.

The Swan and The Dolphin (both walking distance to your resort) have Starbucks. It would be healed on a daily basis.

There is also good coffee to be had at the Animal Kingdom Lodge at Jiko and Boma (french press - good beans) and at the Kona Cafe in the Polynesian (don't get the Kona BLEND, get the pure Kona Coffee in the press pot). You won't be sorry.

Best of luck. I know the success of your trip depends on this information.

Marymouse2003
06-26-2010, 06:12 AM
Best I ever had was @ Kona Cafe @ Poly. Oh, just thinking about it :cloud9: If you're on Monorail, it's a nice stop @ the resort for relaxing cup of Java. Enjoy!!

SurferStitch
06-26-2010, 09:30 AM
We are Starbucks junkies, but when in WDW, we let go and drink what's there. If it's served in the restaurant, it's what we drink. It really isn't that bad at all. I think coffee around the world has actually gotten better over the years.

We've had the 100% Kona pressed pot, and we hated it. Way, way too weak for our taste. We thought perhaps they didn't use enough ground coffee in our first pot, so asked to have a different one. It was exactly the same, so we learned to stay away from then on. Our server said a lot of people who try it for the first time who are used to strong coffee don't like it. She was so nice and didn't charge us for it.

If your DH needs coffee to get going in the morning, I suggest you bring your favorite coffee from home and brew it in the room. That way he won't be disappointed. Also, the smell of fresh brewed coffee is one of the greatest scents in the world. :thumbsup:

disneykat
06-26-2010, 09:57 AM
I am a self-proclaimed coffee snob and also need a couple of cups before being around others. :) I always pack paper "to-go" cups with lids along with a bag of my favorite freshly ground beans, filters for the small coffee pots in the resorts, and my sugar in the raw. Each morning I brew 2 of the small pots while the kids are sleeping. This fills cups for both my husband and myself. This allows us to take our cups with us when we leave for the day and still enjoy our favorite coffee without going seaching for it.

KAT1811
06-26-2010, 04:45 PM
If your DH needs coffee to get going in the morning, I suggest you bring your favorite coffee from home and brew it in the room. That way he won't be disappointed. Also, the smell of fresh brewed coffee is one of the greatest scents in the world. :thumbsup:

:ditto:

MinnieMommie
06-27-2010, 08:12 AM
Because tastes and opinions vary widely about coffee at Disney (with the consensus being that it in general it is not so great) I agree with the other posters about bringing your favorite coffee and filters and making it in your room. The only thing I would add is to bring or buy bottled water to make it. The store at BC has water you can purchase to make your coffee. For some the water is as distasteful as the coffee so this will help make your room made taste more like home. :mickey:

Running_Bell
06-28-2010, 12:31 PM
We camp a lot and don't always have access to a coffee pot or even electricity... and I too have to have coffee. I use the Starbucks instant packs... they have a medium and dark roast. These do not taste anything like instant. I highly recommend them.

Mickey'sGirl
06-28-2010, 12:53 PM
We always bring our own coffee and brew it ourselves. At the Beach Club, you will have a coffee maker in your room, and a fridge to keep cream in.

You can purchase jugs of water at the shop too.

BTW -- I agree that the Starbuck's VIA packs are quite good! :thumbsup:

Disney Yankee
06-28-2010, 08:29 PM
If you are going to DHS, I think Starring Rolls has good coffee. It's right next to the Brown Derby.

Mufasa
06-28-2010, 10:48 PM
While the generic, brewed coffee served resort wide is provided by Nestle (horrible Nescafe stuff they try to pass off as coffee)- there are actually several suppliers of coffee products to the WDW resort.

For espresso based beverages (most of the espresso carts you'll find around the resort with the exception of the Magic Kingdom)- the coffee supplier is actually Joffrey's Coffee and Tea company out of Tampa. I believe they may also supply some of the french press coffee for some of the signature restaurants (with the exception of the Polynesian resort).

The Polynesian/Kona Cafe and coffee bar get their Kona beans and blends supplied by First Roasters of Central Florida.

Still, it comes down to the quality of the water that makes a big part of the brew and perhaps why WDW's coffee doesn't taste that great. At least at the Disneyland Resort you don't have to go far as Peet's Coffee is available at Haagen-Dazs and used to be served at the La Brea Bakery/Cafe though I haven't been there in years.

And if you'd rather just brew your own coffee, I highly recommend an AeroPress- very easy to take it with you and makes a fine cup of coffee on the go.

MOJoe
06-29-2010, 11:21 AM
I too am a coffee snob/junkie. Last year, when i stayed at the BC, i was nervous enough to bring my own coffee to brew in the room. But i only did it once, because i found that the BC Marketplace had specialty coffee. Every day i started out with a fresh latte. Nice. I didn't have to disturb my sleeping family with my commotion, or walk all the way over to the Dolphin. I can't remember if it was listed on the menu board, so just ask if it isn't listed. The cast members will be happy to solve your coffee problem.

lilostitch12
07-01-2010, 03:05 PM
We always bring our own coffee and brew it ourselves. At the Beach Club, you will have a coffee maker in your room, and a fridge to keep cream in.

You can purchase jugs of water at the shop too.

BTW -- I agree that the Starbuck's VIA packs are quite good! :thumbsup:

What type of filters did you use? We are planning on bringing our own ground coffee to brew in the room (BCV) but we figured we'd also need to bring extra filters.

tomatoe pie
07-01-2010, 03:15 PM
if you are staying at the beach club, try the coffee at cape may cafe. they bring a full pot to your table and it is pretty good coffee.:mickey:

debandbub
07-02-2010, 07:15 AM
We have a picky coffee drinker too- I would recommend either bringing your own, as we have done in the past, or try the Starbucks VIA pack- they really are suprisingly good, and the passed the coffee snob test!
Good Luck!

Mickey'sGirl
07-02-2010, 08:28 AM
What type of filters did you use? We are planning on bringing our own ground coffee to brew in the room (BCV) but we figured we'd also need to bring extra filters.
The coffee makers in the room require the large flat bottom basket filters (not the cones).

Pigtunia
07-02-2010, 12:08 PM
I'm a coffee snob, and I love Disney coffee.

Starring Rolls at DHS is MUST DO when we arrive at the park.

lilostitch12
07-02-2010, 08:21 PM
The coffee makers in the room require the large flat bottom basket filters (not the cones).

Thank you!

Plex
07-03-2010, 09:08 AM
DH is VERY!!!!! picky about coffee and must have at least one cup before he can be around other people. He hates the Nescafe and is wondering where the good coffee is. We will be staying at the Beach club on our next trip and only going to the water parks. Any suggestions??????:coffee:

I have the exact same issue. I need coffee to be a normal person for the day most of the time. Coffee and WDW is actually pretty good. It's not the highest quality stuff ever, but it's far from garbage. I'm not a big Starbucks fan (I hit Dunkin Donuts almost daily) so the Swan and Dolphin prospect doesn't really excite me. IMHO the standard fare at WDW is actually better than Bux, but then again I'm the sort of guy that only goes there when I'm desperate.

There's also coffee beverages at the Morocco pavilion at Epcot. I think they may all have alcohol in them though, although that's not always a bad thing...

Our last stay we were also at the Beach Club, and I was quite satisfied with what was available at the hotel :thumbsup: