PDA

View Full Version : LIVE Wizarding World Tips

PirateLover
06-25-2010, 12:33 AM
Feel free to merge into main thread, I just wanted to give some up to date tips that wouldn't get lost in the other thread for those of you who are planning to visit IOA soon specifically for this land, based solely on our experience today. This may get long so the basic tip is- go in the evening!!!

Our original plan was to get there bright and early on Friday June 25th, but we found ourselves with some time on the 24th to pop over in the evening and see what was happening. We got there a little before 7. Lines for shops were still long, but Dueling Dragons/Dragon Challenge was pretty much a walk on, and Flight of the Hippogriff was 15 minutes. Forbidden Journey was still 90 mins.

We talked to a woman who was there at opening. She got there a few hours before the park opened. It took her an hour waiting in line for a separate wrist band which made sure you were one of the first to get into the land. by the time she got her wristband, and got into WWoHP, Forbidden Journey was already 2 hours and each store was an hour wait. By 11 people without wristbands were pouring in.

As far as Forbidden Journey goes, I would definitely save this long wait for the evening. You spend a good portion of the queue in the greenhouse outside, which is just brutal. The worst part of an otherwise perfectly themed line. We were in there at 8pm and could barely stand it, I can't imagine what it's like in the dead heat of the afternoon.

Wands- I know everyone wants to go in Ollivander's... But that line was the only one that was still ridiculously long at the end of the day. If you or your child has to have a wand, but you can't wait in that line, there is a wand cart outside of Forbidden Journey. They have about 10 different wands that are non-character specific, and then Ron, Harry, and Hermione wands that light up. The light up are 42 and regular are 31, although I think the regular ones are nicer, personally. We had a 10 minute wait from back of the line to check out.

At about 9:30pm, the line for butter beer from the wagon outside was about a 10 minute wait, and I got right into Honeydukes and the Joke Shop.

These circumstances may change overtime, but for the near future I expect a similar pattern. I just wanted to share since our original plan would've blown up in our face.

eam
06-25-2010, 07:00 AM
Great post. If I were going anytime soon, I would find this information extremely valuable. Glad you had a good time, with good timing. Thanks again.

NJGIRL
06-25-2010, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the info! BTW, What did you think of Forbidden Journey?

joanna71985
06-25-2010, 08:48 AM
I agree with you. In the evening, the lines start to die down (especially for the rides). Also, if anyone is able, I HIGHLY recommend the single-rider line for Forbidden Journey. It is a lifesaver for me.

And Forbidden Journey is AMAZING!! It is one of the best rides I have ridden...in any park.

PirateLover
06-25-2010, 07:57 PM
NJGirl- We loved Forbidden Journey. DH doesn't even like HP too much, aside from coming with me to watch the movies; whereas I am a nut. I'm going to type full reports of our whole trip later, but I truly think it may be the best ride I've ever been on.

I have to ditto the single rider. We tried it today and it was great. 15 mins the first time and we actually got to ride together due to odd numbers of riders in the main line. The second time the line didn't move as quickly but we were on in 30 mins. The only downside is you miss a lot of the cool rooms. If you are a big fan, you may want to wait in the normal line at least once to check it all out.

Also Re: Butterbeer- We both agree that the frozen option is much smoother and more delicious.

forever a child
07-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the great post! I have been wondering what wands were going to cost. :thumbsup:

BluewaterBrad
08-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Thank You!!:mickey:

Kim Possible
08-19-2010, 04:03 PM
When I was there a week after it opened they had a thing if you stayed at one of the Universal hotels you got early admission to that world, so I was able to get in around 7:30ish, so if they still do that take advantage of it!

Jennifer_and_Chris
08-19-2010, 04:32 PM
I wonder what the crowds will be like in October. we don't have plans to go here this October but, I still want to one day.

DVC2004
08-28-2010, 11:15 AM
We were just there and line into the area (WIzarding World- the area, not just the ride) was around the park past Jurassic Park in the morning. The employee told us to wait until the afternoon and you could walk right in. We return after 1 and walked into the area. The Forbidden Journey had broken down so we came back again after 3 and waited about and hour and half. I don't see the lines getting shorter any time soon! There was also a long line into the wand shop and a line to have the wand choose you. Again we returned around 6 and this time walked into the wand shop but there was still a line for the wand to choose you, so we just selected a wand and paid. The line for the ride though was longer so we didn't go a second time.

BiloxiMom
08-28-2010, 07:48 PM
Maybe it will calm down a bit by Jan. Hoping... anyway.........