PDA

View Full Version : DD Has Stress Fracture in Lower Back

RedSoxFan
06-24-2010, 08:45 AM
Kourtney (13) was diagnosed a month ago with an L5 stress fracture (Spondylolysis). She started to have back pain that would not go away. After a CT Scan, it was realized that the fracture has been there for quite some time; but she is now feeling the pain from it. She has been in Physical Therapy for 3 weeks and the pain was getting lower. However, my MIL died last week of cancer and she was in the car for over 14 hours round trip to Massachusetts for the funeral. Doctor said yesterday long car rides are the worst; but we had no choice. She will be in the 8th grade this fall and has been called up to Varsity soccer. She is devastated that she can't do any sports for the time being. She has 8 weeks until pre-season starts at which time she'll have to pass a physical test to play varsity as she is in middle school. Any pixie dust you can swing her way would be great.

tinklover
06-24-2010, 08:55 AM
Sending Lots of :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie: your way for your daughter.

VWL Mom
06-24-2010, 09:06 AM
:pixie: :pixie:

As the mom of hs athletes, my heart goes out to you and your daughter. I know what this means to her. Most important is that she feels better soon!

I know in my area varsity soccer is considered a contact sport. Have you spoken to the doctor about whether they will even release her to play after 8 weeks? I would suggest going over it with them. You don't want any last minute surprises.

As far as the school I would suggest for the time being that you treat them on a need to know basis. Because of today's litigious society, getting released by the hs trainers could be tough!

Good luck!

RedSoxFan
06-24-2010, 09:57 AM
:pixie: :pixie:

I know in my area varsity soccer is considered a contact sport. Have you spoken to the doctor about whether they will even release her to play after 8 weeks? I would suggest going over it with them. You don't want any last minute surprises.

The doctor will let Kourtney know when she can play sports or if she is able to do the physical test in 8 weeks. She has to do a 50 yd dash, standing long jump and sit-ups. If she can do that, then she can be on the team. At this point, this is her goal. She just wants to move up to Varsity with her friends. Because of lack of girls, JV soccer was cut this year. She played on JV this past fall as a 7th grader.

jrkcr
06-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Lots and lots of :pixie: to your DD.

Dznygrl79
06-24-2010, 11:19 AM
I suffered a fall last year and found out that I have Spondylolysis. It all depends on if there is any spondylothesis. Discs that have moved into the spinal colemn ( for me L4/L5 and L5/S1). I am waiting on surgery to stabilize my spine, I cannot sit or stand more than 15 mins at a time. That being said if you catch it early she may be able to be braced and not have surgery. I don't know about sports. Also not sure for teens but I have a tens machine that deals with the pain between pain meds and can use that if I am in a car. Make sure you have a good Ortho and you should be okay. Plenty of pixie dust headed her way.

gauvin4
06-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Tons of :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: coming your way!! I hope your daughter is feeling better soon.

cather74
06-24-2010, 02:03 PM
:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:

Disney4us2
06-24-2010, 03:43 PM
Hope Kourtney feels better soon.:pixie::pixie::pixie:

RedSoxFan
07-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Kourtney is finally starting to feel better. The pain has lessened some. A lot of the pain is in the muscles surrounding the fracture as she's learning to use her core muscles and to have better posture. She has physical therapy twice a week and this week it has included massages on the muscles to loosen them up. Thanks for all the pixie dust --- keep it coming. It seems to be working.

DisneyorBust
07-02-2010, 07:12 PM
Prayers and Pixie Dust enroute to your daughter. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

RedSoxFan
07-02-2010, 09:38 PM
And I forgot to mention that Kourtney has been in a back brace (corset like) since she was diagnosed. She can take if off while sleeping and showering. This is helping with her posture too.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Sounds like what my sister just found out she has. She too uses a tens unit and a brace. And we are driving to WDW next month!
I hope Kourtney is back in great shape real soon. Here's some Pixie dust for her. :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:

SBETigg
07-11-2010, 10:07 PM
What a thing for Kourtney to have to go through! It must be discouraging sometimes. Sounds like she is strong and responding well, though. Good for her. More :pixie::pixie::pixie: and best wishes on the way!

RedSoxFan
07-11-2010, 10:08 PM
Sounds like what my sister just found out she has. She too uses a tens unit and a brace. And we are driving to WDW next month!
I hope Kourtney is back in great shape real soon. Here's some Pixie dust for her. :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:

Thanks!! She goes to the doctor on Tuesday. She is hoping for good news. The pain is lessening and they have upped her weights with the exercises at PT.

Be careful with the car ride; our car ride to Massachusetts and back (7 hrs each way) made her back worse.

RedSoxFan
07-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Good news to report on Kourtney's back. She is cleared to go to camp with the girls the first week of August and cleared to play soccer. But she has to gradually get back into the game. Kick the ball and run by her self; then play with a friend and then play with the team. Very good day. And she needs to wean herself off the brace. Things are looking up for the rest of the summer. Thanks for all the pixie dust -- it works!!

Dznygrl79
07-13-2010, 12:56 PM
I am so glad to hear that! I have been thinking of her a lot, its not an easy thing to cope with and the fact that symptoms start and stop so suddenly does not help. I hope she has a great year in soccer!

RedSoxFan
07-31-2010, 07:52 AM
Update: Kourtney is progressing nicely. She goes to soccer practice and can do some of the drills. She wears the brace about 25% of the time now. She passed 2 of the tests to be on varsity soccer yesterday. She is going into the 8th grade and needs to pass the classification tests to play varsity. She will do the sit-ups testing in two weeks. She needs more time for these. She leaves tomorrow for a week away at camp with a bunch of her girlfriends and the swimming will be good therapy for her.