PDA

View Full Version : Poly vs Contemporary

Gibbs
06-23-2010, 04:05 PM
The Dw and I are in the midst of planning our trip for 2011. We have decided to step up to a deluxe resort this time We have narrowed the choices down to two. Now we need the help of our fellow intercotees to help make the final call. So, what say you? If you had your choice would it be the Poly or the Contemporary and why? We are looking foward to your hearing what you have to say.

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-23-2010, 04:55 PM
I'd go for the Poly. The transportation can't be beat, since you can walk to the TTC. The smaller buildings are a plus for me, as is the lush landscaping (and watching Wishes from the beach).

Either way, you can't go wrong - enjoy!

Donald's Girl
06-23-2010, 05:13 PM
No contest at all! Poly!!!

forever a child
06-23-2010, 05:31 PM
I just think that the Poly is a beautiful resort! It would be my first Deluxe Resort choice:mickey:

mrsgaribaldi
06-23-2010, 06:20 PM
We've stayed at both. We even had a Magic Kingdom view at the Contemporary. We both loved the Poly more. I just love the grounds. Both are great but I would go to the Poly every time if I could.:lei::papple:

tmz814
06-23-2010, 06:47 PM
I'd go with the Poly. I've never stayed there myself but it's so beautiful. :mickey:

Goofy4TheWorld
06-23-2010, 06:51 PM
I just returned from my first stay at the Contemporary (and first Deluxe stay) and I would not vote for the Contemporary. The only transportation edge the CR has is the walk back home from MK at night. The Monorail wasn't as convenient as I thought it was going to be.

The CR has way too much of a business atmosphere (given it has the convention center) so the Poly is the only Monorail resort maybe left on my bucket list. I heard people on the bus talking about how they didn't like the people in suits and ties at the CR, and I agree. I felt silly standing in the elevator with a wet bathing suit while someone with their rolling briefcase and Blue-tooth in their ear was standing beside me talking about the 4pm conference on consolidation efficiencies.

Personal, I don't think either are worth the extra money, but between the two, I would pick Poly (even though I have only seen it from the bus stop since both resorts share buses:(, never actually stayed there.)

jmj18
06-23-2010, 09:41 PM
The POLY everytime!

The people are so much nicer.....the atmosphere is so much nicer....

Just a WONDERFUL place!

Did not like the Contemporary at all!

Mickey91
06-23-2010, 11:48 PM
I voted Poly but I honestly had a hard time deciding. The Poly is definitely more relaxing and the ambiance would be more romantic. The Contemporary, on the other hand, puts you right in the magic with Chef Mickey's and the monorail running through. It will be wonderful whichever you choose!

KAT1811
06-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Simply put the decor of the CR does not appeal to me at all.

CU Tiger
06-24-2010, 12:20 PM
The Poly is not as noisy, more lush, better pool area, ... I can go on. Pick Poly :thumbsup:.:mickey:

Ksmith75
06-24-2010, 12:45 PM
i would say the poly. we have never stayed at either, but have done meals and the pirates and pal fireworks voyage from the CR and meals at the poly. We went a little early to the CR to look around, and didnt really like it at all. It seemed cold...and not very attractive. The poly is nicely themed and beautiful....we go early there too, just to look around and sit in the lobby!

DizNee143
06-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Contemporary!!!!!!!!!
LOVE it there! :mickey:

Tigerinvestigator
06-24-2010, 03:27 PM
Stayed at both resorts many times. Spent my honeymoon at the Contemporary.....but only because the Poly was full! LOL Can't really go wrong with either but the Polynesian is without a doubt my favorite resort at WDW!:thumbsup:

diz_girl
06-24-2010, 03:46 PM
While the CR is special to me because I stayed there the most growing up, I really prefer the Poly. I just love the smell of the lobby, as well as the lush, tropical feel of the lobby and the resort as a whole. Watching Wishes and the EWP from the beach is great too. Then there's the Volcano pool, which kids love. And the restaurants are also great. I really like Captain Cook's, which is the counter service restaurant. You can get Tonga Toast for breakfast and stir fry for dinner. Plus, the transportation is key. It's nice to have two monorail lines within a short walk. We never waited long a for a bus to DHS or AK.

SBETigg
06-24-2010, 05:01 PM
I think Poly will be the resort of choice, in general, but they both have a lot going for them and you won't make a wrong choice with either of them. So much depends on your own preferences. I've stayed in both and I prefer the Polynesian for the lush, exotic, relaxed feel. The Contemporary always feels a little sterile, cavernous, and business-like to me. But great rooms, spacious and neat, and the views are amazing on both sides.

4disneynuts
06-24-2010, 08:18 PM
We just booked the Poly for December (our first stay at a deluxe resort). We are very excited. We got a theme park room and are looking forward to switting on our balcony and watching the fireworks over Magic Kingdom. I have wanted to stay at Poly since I was a little girl (dreams really do come true).:magic:

I think it depends on your personality which you choose. We chose Poly for the relaxed tropical feel. We usually stay at CBR and love it there. Have a great trip no matter which you choose!!!:lei:ALOHA.

DisneyorBust
06-25-2010, 11:47 AM
I am a confirmed Poly[B] fan. I choose the Poly due to the overall feel of the resort, it is a 'get away' just in itself. Many positives, landscaping, large rooms, views of the Magic Kingdom, fireworks, and Polynesian music playing in the background.
I have to agree with SBETigg; I found the Contemporary to be sterile and business like also.
The [B]Poly represents relaxation to me, almost a destination in itself.

awaggett
06-25-2010, 01:06 PM
We have stayed in both--and loved both. However, I prefer the Contemporary. I think the rooms are brighter, more updated, and basically, more my taste. I also love the feel/excitement of the 4th floor--shops,restaurant, etc.

Marymouse2003
06-26-2010, 05:43 AM
I know ppl on Intercot LOVE Poly, but my heart belong to CR.....love the feeling of being in 1 bldg....not to mention Chef Mickey going on all the time AND the view of MK just takes my breath away, but this is just me.....either way, you will have awesome time. Enjoy :cloud9:

PixieMagic
06-26-2010, 01:02 PM
The theming at the Poly is far superior. It doesn't feel like your average hotel with a Disney twist, rather it feels like two vacations in one.... Disney by day, South Seas by night. Also, since the rehab in 2006ish... the rooms decor is much improved and classier rather than the kitchy poly feel of years past. This is by far our favorite with GF a close second. :cloud9:

GrmGrninGost
06-27-2010, 10:20 AM
I find it hard to believe I just voted for the Contemporary! DW and I really never liked the looks of the Contemporary, but our DS wanted to try it. Finally we did. Loved it! Not sure exactly why. It was not as beautiful as the Poly, but it was wonderful! There is just something about walking out the room door and seeing the monorail pull in! Also, our room was just above Chef Mickey's, so when you walked out and looked down, you saw Mickey or Donald or one of the other characters. The whole experience was just fantastic! I can hardly wait to try it again! :mickey:

diz_girl
06-28-2010, 01:57 PM
While the CR is special to me because I stayed there the most growing up, I really prefer the Poly.

I just thought that I'd mention one little thing. Although I did vote for the Poly over the CR, I actually own at BLT. So I actually voted against my home resort. Of course, if WDW adds a DVC resort at the Poly, I'm buying there in a heartbeat.

Joannelet
06-28-2010, 03:19 PM
I felt silly standing in the elevator with a wet bathing suit while someone with their rolling briefcase and Blue-tooth in their ear was standing beside me talking about the 4pm conference on consolidation efficiencies.

I cracked up when I read this. But I have to agree! Good point!

IloveDisney71
06-28-2010, 08:21 PM
I voted for Poly. I've stayed at the Poly and LOVED every minute of our stay. When I was little I used to think it'd be neat to stay where the monorail rode through the building but now that building just looks plain to me.
The Poly is a beautiful resort. You can also walk to the TTC to catch the monorail to Epcot. My only complaint was that we had to share buses with the GF. We were the first stop and then we'd go to the GF and pick up people and sometimes our bus would be pretty full so it's not like it was empty or anything. I just figured that at deluxe prices we'd have our own buses and not be sharing like at the all-star values.

pixiesmimi
06-29-2010, 11:46 AM
We have never stayed at the Contemporary but I always wanted to because I thought it was so high tech looking and had the monorail running through it. We stayed at the Poly last year for the first time because DH didn't want to stay at the Contemporary. We loved it. I love the atmosphere and makes you feel more like you are on a luxury vacation. The Contemporary now makes me feel, like others have said, more of a business atmosphere and I'm trying to get away from that. Although the short walk there from MK is nice. But you can ride the monorail from the Poly also and the TTC was just a few minutes from our room.

princessimagineer
06-29-2010, 01:14 PM
theyre both so equal in ammenities(sp?), but i voted poly. though i havent seen CR since the renovation finshed...

Tygger7
06-29-2010, 02:32 PM
I voted for Poly...never stayed there but have visited both. I don't like the feel/vibe of CR...rather reminds me of walking around in an airport terminal. And, me not being exactly fond of flying....well, you get the idea. There are benefits, don't get me wrong. The Poly just feels more "vacation-y" to me. I've always dreamed of going to Hawaii and the Poly really gives you that feel. On the other hand, I've never really dreamed about staying in a concrete block.......

Just kidding, both are very nice, just totally different styles. As you can tell from my signature, if it were up to me, I'd be at the Wilderness Lodge. :cloud9:

Friend of Figment
07-01-2010, 11:16 AM
I'm in the minority, but CR is my favorite place at WDW. I like the compactness. I've stayed at Poly, but it was too spread out for my taste. Also, the service at the Poly left a lot to be desired (including the concierge forgetting to arrange for car service to take me to the airport so I sat waiting and finally ended up in a taxi at the last minute.)

moe513
07-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Did you consider an epcot resort. You really cant beat that location.

We stayed at the Poly and liked it very much.
To me the Cont resort is kind of cold feeling. It has alot of cement and dorsnt feel cozy. Also, it can be loud.

darthmacho
07-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Contemporary is great, but the theming of Poly wins me over. :mickey:

Gibbs
07-09-2010, 05:12 PM
:thanks:Well at a over a two to one margin, it looks like the Polly has won. Thanks to all for your comments It has made our decision alot easier. We know we just being in the "world" will be fantastic, the Polly is just going to be icing on the cake. Thanks again

garthbarth1
07-09-2010, 11:00 PM
DH and I have only stayed at the Contemporary once...and we loved it! We would love to stay again, even though we like the adventure of trying a new resort each time. We are without kids, so for us, heading back to a resort that felt a little more "grown up" was nice at the end of the night. The Contemporary is the one resort we feel is not over the top with its theming, which we find to be a nice break after a stimulating day at the parks. Does this make sense? No crazy bedspreads, or decor in the room. Just a clean, quiet, room. I know, its kind of a strange way to look at it! :mickey:

RBrooksC
07-12-2010, 10:07 AM
This is so funny because my wife and I are discussing this very thing right now. Except it is WL vs CR. As of now, the CR is winning because "A", our daycare provider loves this resort and always raves about it. And "B", the idea of the MK being within walking distance and the monorail being right there, is a big plus when you have a five year old and a two year old. Oh, and there is "C" which is, if we get a MK view room which I think we would splurge for if we went with the CR, one may watch the fireworks display from the room balcony.

I really do like the idea that when my wife and daughter go back to the room so my daughter can go to bed, I can take my son out to the MK and ride some rides later in the evening and we can do so by walking back and forth from the park.

To be honest, this trip, I am more concerned about convenience than theming.

Goofy4TheWorld
07-12-2010, 12:41 PM
I really do like the idea that when my wife and daughter go back to the room so my daughter can go to bed, I can take my son out to the MK and ride some rides later in the evening and we can do so by walking back and forth from the park.

I just returned from the CR, and IMHO there is NO way a two year old will sleep through the fireworks at 10pm. The fireworks were louder from inside my CR room than they were from outside on Main St.

Since my DS2 had no problem staying up WAY past his bedtime, it wasn't an issue for us. But had he needed to go to bed at his usual bedtime of 8:30pm, it would have been a nightmare come 10pm when the fireworks started shaking the room.

Just throwing that out there for your consideration. Like I said, it only matters if your 2 year old will actually be asleep come fireworks time (actual start time depends on when you are going to WDW). I don't think a dead person could sleep through those fireworks, IMHO.

RBrooksC
07-12-2010, 12:46 PM
My daughter sleeps through anything... but the matter wouldn't necessarily be her "sleeping" but more of the downtime in the room.