PDA

View Full Version : Is my son too young for AK?

southerngirl
06-22-2010, 01:11 PM
I'm a little ashamed to admit this, but I've been to WDW over 30 times and have never been to AK. Until our son was born, we typically vacationed at the World in the summer, and I just thought it was too hot to venture to AK. And, although we've been twice in December since he was born, I've always told myself that my son was too young to really enjoy AK.

My son will be two next week, and I'm wondering if it's finally time to take the plunge and visit AK. We have two trips scheduled this year: one in July and our annual pre-Christmas trip in December. Which time of year is better for the first trip? Would we roast in July? Our son does enjoy zoos (at least where the animals are where he can see them and aren't behind a high fence), but aside from the walking trail, the safari ride and maybe some of the stuff in Dinoland, what is there for him to do in the AK? Is it better to wait until he is a little older?

Thanks for your input!

SBETigg
06-22-2010, 01:39 PM
I love the AK! I wouldn't be able to pass it up. But then, my kids are older. There's Festival of the Lion King show, Finding Nemo, the Musical, character meets, an afternoon parade, the train ride to conservation station and petting area (I've never done those, so not sure about age appropriateness). Tough to be a Bug is fun, if he's not scared (which is a possibility- my son is almost 20 and he still hates it there, LOL).

We love AK more each time we go and I can't imagine not going. It's got places to escape the heat, just like other parks, and it's not that much hotter than other parks for me, though I've heard people complain of that. Lots of shady lanes and cool spots at the AK, and so much to entertain little ones visually and otherwise.

Granny Jill A
06-22-2010, 02:57 PM
I would wait until your son is a little older before spending time in AK. It's a great place for school-age children to explore, but kind of a waste of time for a 2-year-old.

If you are choosing between July and December, I would recommend December. Unless you and your son really like hot weather and crowds. ;)

forever a child
06-22-2010, 03:08 PM
Seems to me if you DS is old enough to enjoy the other 3 parks then he should be old enough to enjoy AK. :mickey:

Fastpasssteve
06-22-2010, 03:15 PM
If he were a year or two older, I think he would be able to enjoy Rafiki's Planet Watch (especially the close-up animal handling) and other shows that really require a longer span of attention.

He would enjoy the rides, but there are better rides over in Magic Kingdom.

AmandaChan
06-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Seems to me if you DS is old enough to enjoy the other 3 parks then he should be old enough to enjoy AK. :mickey:

What I was thinking. Just make sure to keep him hydrated and take frequent, frequent breaks. We're planning a big trip with the family next May when my son will be 13 months and I most definitely planned on taking him to see everything that I can possibly show him.

KylesMom
06-22-2010, 03:42 PM
DS was 27 months when we first ventured to AK - and there was plenty for him to do and see. I certainly wouldn't consider it a wasted day at all. As far as the time of year, however - I'd definitely save this visit for your December trip. Roasting at AK in July is pretty much an absolute.

E:E, Dinosaur, Kali & Primevil Whirl will be off your list . . . but there is the Affection Section, Oasis Exhibits, Kilamanjaro Safaris, The Boneyard, TriceraTop Spin, Camp Mickey-Minnie characters & Festival of the Lion King, which was a favorite of my DS from the start. And of course, don't forget about the Jammin' Jungle (or Jingle Jungle in December) parade! :mickey:

diz_girl
06-22-2010, 04:31 PM
I'd agree that AK is a great place to take a two-year-old. We went when my DS was 17 months and he loved it. He would yell at the animals on the safari to 'come here'. He loved watching the hippo swim on the Pangani trail. If you are on the Maharajah Jungle Trek around 4 p.m. or so, the tigers are really visible and close because they are waiting for the doors to open so they can get their dinner. The fruit bats are a really neat exhibit, you get really close there. Kids also love the naked mole rats - I think that they are also on the Maharajah Jungle Trek, like the tigers and fruit bats. Although I've never seen Flights of Wonder, I've heard that the little ones really like it.

There seems to be fewer air conditioned areas inside the AK than with the MK or EPCOT, so maybe wait until your December trip. But no matter when you go, the Baby Care Center just to the left of Discovery Island is really nice and a great place to take a break.

Georgesgirl1
06-22-2010, 05:07 PM
We went when DS was 6 months old and he loved it. He is all about animals and now at 17 months old, we go to the zoo about 3 times a month!

DS like Rafiki's Planet Watch because they have a petting zoo, the safari, the walking trails, and the drummers outside of Tusker House. At two years old, I think the boneyard would also be a big hit.

AK also has a really good Baby Care Center which is nice to pop into on a hot day for a break.

KAJUNKING
06-22-2010, 07:00 PM
fotlk and nemo the musical are imo the best two shows on property, with all the music and colors and stuff going on i would think a 2 yo would love it, my kids are older but if one of them were 2 i would give it a shot, have fun!

TinkerbellsMom
06-23-2010, 10:32 AM
AK is our families favorite! I agree with the others, your child is old enough for Ak and I actually think there is more for a young child to do at AK, then there is at EPCOT and HS.

The Lion King & Finding NEMO show are outstanding and close to Broadway quality. He will love them. Also, if you hit Camp Mickey & Minnie when it first opens (rigth before the 1st Lion King Show), your son will have the characters all to himself - it's a great experience.

The Boneyard play area was my DD's favorite play area of all the parks! She's 9 now and still talks about how much fun she had in it.

Also, don't discount the Birds of Flight Show - it's great for kids and adults. DD was amazed at all the different birds and how they flew over her head.

I agree that It's Tough to be a Bug can be tricky for younger kids. My recommendation is that if you go to it, have your son sit on your lap and not in the seat. This way he won't feel the special effects which could scare him.

Finally, I think AK is a really a special park as it is so unique. Give it a try!

DizneyRox
06-23-2010, 11:09 AM
We spend most of our time at AK, and with a little one, it's no different. At 14 months, we spent hours at the Boneyard and Conservation Station. Two areas of the park we hardly went to before.

July is hot, but we've always been able to manage. There is lots of shade at AK, but it is blisteringly hot in between.

Joannelet
06-23-2010, 11:24 AM
My son was a year old when we took him there.
He did love it. There are the shows as well. If you are getting a park hopper pass I'd just hop over there for a little while and do the things that you know he'd like. If you are getting a one day pass then I would consider maybe not going and waiting till he is older and can enjoy it a little more.
But my son loved the characters in this park, Triceratop spin, etc. He also wasn't walking yet so I'm sure now he would enjoy dinoland and the dig and all that good stuff ;)
He fell asleep on KS. I have no idea how but he did..bouncing around. I actually thought maybe he was too young for the safari ride. He is short and had to sit in the middle of course which was where he couldn't see anything. The ride was way too bumpy in my opinion. He somehow fell asleep but I don't think I will take a one year old on there again. BUt that was just my experience. I didn't like his head bobbing all over the place. It made me nervous.
But it is up to you. It is always a couple of degrees hotter in AK too because of the plants. So just take everything into consideration. If you can I would do this first in your trip. It's low key and not overwhelming. I think it's a good park to break your little ones into the trip.

Disneyfirsttimer
06-23-2010, 11:46 AM
Animal Kingdom is our favorite park :mickey:. You must go.

DizneyRox
06-23-2010, 11:52 AM
I'm a little ashamed to admit this, but I've been to WDW over 30 times and have never been to AK.
WOAH! Is anyone else disturbed by this? :D

You gotta get over there as soon as you arrive. You're missing the one of the best parks at WDW IMHO.

I vote July, sooner is better! Do everything, twice... Baby swap on Dinosaur, Kali River Rapids and Everest.

southerngirl
06-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks, everyone. If we have time in July, we'll go over there, but I'm definitely going to plan on taking him in December. I've booked an early dinner at Sanaa at the AKL afterward, so now we have no excuse not to go!

dixielandings
06-23-2010, 06:40 PM
OH MY GOSH - GO!

Sorry for yelling:blush: but remember your trip is for the whole family, including you and dad! If the LO doesn't care for it, you can shorten your visit. AK is a beautiful Park and actually, I bet your DS LOVES it, if for nothing else, all the animals!

Be sure to visit Planet Watch and Camp Minnie Mickey, as well as Kiliminjaro Safari and Dinoland.

Gator
06-23-2010, 07:43 PM
WOAH! Is anyone else disturbed by this? :D

Yes. Very disturbed! Don't delay to go this park. Ever since DHS moved Fantasmic to just two nights a week, I've considered AK a better park. The atmosphere is incredible everywhere inside of AK. The shows are great, the rides are really cool, and it has the best counter service at WDW - Flame Tree BBQ.

Your son will love all the animals - love them- and there's even a spot where he can get his picture taken with about 8 characters at Camp Minnie/Mickey.