PDA

View Full Version : Paid off first contract and added more points before July price increase

jard68
06-22-2010, 11:06 AM
We are so excited, we paid off our first DVC contract last month. Today I called DVC to find out info about adding points when we are in Disney next month. I was interested in the benefits of adding on now or while in Disney. Surprisingly, I found out that there would be an $8 per point price increase on July 1. So waiting would have actually cost us more even with the $15 per point savings. We added on at $97/point for AKL.

I do have one question, though. I was not told about the free cruise with add ons that I received an email about. Do I have to do something specific to get that?

Lisa
31 Days to first visit home as DVC member!

DVC Mike
06-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Surprisingly, I found out that there would be an $8 per point price increase on July 1. So waiting would have actually cost us more even with the $15 per point savings. We added on at $97/point for AKL.

I do have one question, though. I was not told about the free cruise with add ons that I received an email about. Do I have to do something specific to get that?

In order to get the free cruise, you must add-on at least 100 points (it sounds like you added on 125 or more) -- but you also have to pay the full retail price of AKV ($112). I'd rather get the cash discount than the cruise.

Pooh Fan
06-22-2010, 01:07 PM
Wow! I didn't realize the price difference was so significant between Disney and the Timeshare Store. They have AKV listed as low as $76/pt and an average price of $82/$83/pt. I was sure when we purchased a few years ago that the prices were much closer. We just chose to go through the TimeshareStore as our initial purchase was for less than the 150 point minimum required through Disney.
Anyway, congrats on your additional points! Can't wait until we are able to add on as well.

MinnieMommie
06-27-2010, 11:20 AM
My guide told me that you will need to add on at least 100 pts to get the free cruise (on the new Disney ship for a 3 night cruise) but you will not get discounted pts. For anyone who might be interested just want to add that if you are unsure you about buying/adding on before July 1st you can lock in with half down payment by June 30 and will have the few weeks that it takes to complete the paperwork to decide. You will be reimbursed if you decide against it or if you think the July price might work better for you.

Resale is a highly contested topic. You can get pts for less at AKL (and other DVCs) through resale at this time however there are some advantages to purchasing through Disney. One is that you will have your contacts all in the same use year. Another is that sometimes you will be able to get double the pts for one year only. These perks may or may not be meaningful to you so it is up to each individual to decide which way to go. :mickey:

Horizon93
06-27-2010, 10:13 PM
Congrats on paying off your initial contract. And at $97 you only paid $1 more per point than we did in 2007.

Both of our add ons are through DVC. It was easy, quick, and all are sub contracts of our original. But the resale prices are pretty low. We own all of our points at AKV, but are considering a small BWV add on and will likely go resale if we can find a contract in our use year.

Congrats again on paying it off and getting the deal on the add on just in time!