PDA

View Full Version : Working in parks ruun magic?

xo0ally
06-21-2010, 02:46 PM
In one of my four years of college i plan to attend the Disney college program. I am extremely excited to do this but i was wondering if it ruins the Disney magic for you? And i was also wondering instead of working there during the school year can you go there and work there during the summer only?

Rosanne
06-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Ally,
Do you love Disney? If so, that won't change after doing the college program. In fact, if you are anything like me, you will be 100 times more crazy afterwards! :mickey:

Yes, you do see things backstage that you would never see as a guest. But that was part of the fun for me. I saw firsthand how Disney tries to please their guests, and it made me appreciate the place so much more. I also fell in love with the corporate culture and the empire that exsists in Orlando.

The college program is offered during the school year. However, after you complete the college program one semester, you may be able to go down "seasonally" and work there during peak times.

I hope this helps.

Rosanne

xo0ally
06-23-2010, 02:20 PM
This definitly helps. I will most likely fall more in love with Disney like you said! The only problem for me with the program is i am planning on attending college for biochemistry and Disney does not have to program so i may not be able to work there. Any way around this?

joanna71985
06-25-2010, 09:22 AM
The major does not matter for doing the CP. You can have any major. I did 6 programs (and there was no role for my major).

sherriepaul
06-25-2010, 10:33 AM
A friend of a friend in college, did this worked at disney during the summer came back to Iowa to finish college.

Joannelet
06-25-2010, 03:50 PM
If you love Disney it definitely does not ruin the magic...it only makes it stronger for you :)
It's so exciting to see things from a cast member's perspective. Believe me you will LOVE it....to infinity and beyond :) LOL

I don't know if this has changed. I did it in 1998 but back then you had to choose 2 seasons that you were available to work and/or depending on when you were applying......I remember choosing summer and fall. I ended up getting the fall season. They choose for us. Not sure if that is how it is done now but that is how it was done back then. So as far as I know you can still get summer......

PopPhan
06-25-2010, 05:47 PM
This definitly helps. I will most likely fall more in love with Disney like you said! The only problem for me with the program is i am planning on attending college for biochemistry and Disney does not have to program so i may not be able to work there. Any way around this?

I would think that biochem would be a good field for a CM in AK - say as a lab tech assistant in the animal clinic......Seems like they would do a lot that would fit your major.

But, I don't know if those kinds of positions fall into the CP program.

joanna71985
06-25-2010, 07:48 PM
I don't know if this has changed. I did it in 1998 but back then you had to choose 2 seasons that you were available to work and/or depending on when you were applying......I remember choosing summer and fall. I ended up getting the fall season. They choose for us. Not sure if that is how it is done now but that is how it was done back then. So as far as I know you can still get summer......

Unfortunately, summer is only available for alumni of the CP. For first timers (or anyone who wants to do the regular CP), the only choices are regular or advantage.

I would think that biochem would be a good field for a CM in AK - say as a lab tech assistant in the animal clinic......Seems like they would do a lot that would fit your major.

But, I don't know if those kinds of positions fall into the CP program.

Unfortunately it doesn't. If anything, that would be a PI (professional internship) role.

Camping Mom
06-25-2010, 11:09 PM
We had a sweet friend who did the College Program and loved every minute of it. When her time was up, she missed it so much she went back full time. She was close and personal with Mickey, Minnie, Stitch, and Dopey. Unfortunately, a serious health condition forced her home and now her condition is such that she can not go back for some time to come, but she is a Disney lover for life!

Georgesgirl1
06-30-2010, 01:50 PM
I have a few friends who have worked for Disney over the years (some CP and some regular CM) and it only made their love for all things Disney stronger!!

I wish I had taken the time in college to do the college program, but at the college I was at and with my Education major I would have had to take a full year off (classes were only offered once a year and had to be taken in order). Looking back, I really regret the decision to skip on this great opportunity.

Skippy
06-30-2010, 11:34 PM
I too wish I had looked into the college program. So much, that I went back and did seasonal.

For me, it didn't ruin the magic. I love knowing how things work and for Disney, it just made it better seeing how much goes into making a scene or location believable to the guest. Disney goes way beyond what is necessary that most guests will never know or see. It's what sets them apart, and I've enjoyed learning a little about how they do it.

IloveDisney71
06-30-2010, 11:45 PM
I have two DD's and both of them had a friend who each did the college program and they both loved every minute of it. One worked in a resort and one worked in the MK in Fantasyland. They LOVE Disney more than ever now!