PDA

View Full Version : 4th of July

xo0ally
06-18-2010, 05:06 PM
I was wondering if on the 4th of July if the Magic Kingdom does a special fireworks show and if so are they worth going for? And does Disney get decorated for 4th of July? We are thinking of going there but i am not sure if its worth the crowds or not.

faline
06-18-2010, 05:08 PM
They certainly do have spectacular fireworks for the 4th of July. And, yes, the parks are very crowded! In fact, many times, the parks will close to additional guests on this day so do plan to arrive early and stay for the duration.

SallyP
06-18-2010, 05:16 PM
They certainly do have spectacular fireworks for the 4th of July. And, yes, the parks are very crowded! In fact, many times, the parks will close to additional guests on this day so do plan to arrive early and stay for the duration.

faline,

Is the time for the spectacular fireworks for the 4th of July posted anywhere? Or is it the 9 Summer Nightastic fireworks at MK? I guess Epcot does something too?

1DisneyNut
06-18-2010, 06:57 PM
Just so you know, 4th of July is usually extremely busy and as faline mentioned they usually get so busy that they do not allow additional guests to enter. The last time we were there it was so busy they even closed it to resort guests entering. It was so crowded it took us an hour and a half to get through the crowd down main street. It was literally shoulder to shoulder and you could not move without having to slide between people sideways. As a result we never go the week of the 4th anymore. I sent an email to Guest Relations when we returned home after that trip and they apologized saying they had quite a number of complaints about how crowded the park was that day. They sent us complimentary one day tickets to make up for the inconvenience and we used them the next year while there for a convention in January and had a great time so we were very satisfied in the end. The fireworks on the 4th are great but don't plan on riding many rides that day due to the crowds and if you don't like being in a huge crowd I would recommend avoiding MK that day.

DizneyRox
06-18-2010, 07:55 PM
I believe that in 2009, only MK had some sort of closure (not level 4), 2008 was OK. Go back to 2007 and I think MK, Epcot AND MGM all hit at least lvl 3, MK certainly hit lvl 4 and Epcot did too for a while.

7/4 is one of, if not THE busiest day at the parks, usually. Capacity is usually higher during the summer months than during the other holidays so more poeple can fit into the same space. Capacity is a measure of staffing, which rides are open, and also physical space.

We've been going during the beginning of July ever since I can remember. It's always hotter than I remember and always more crowded than I could imagine. On the 4th, I've seen TT and Soarin with 240 minute waits, no restaurants take walk-ups.

If you haven't made plans yet, make sure you can get a room before you start looking at going. Flights are probably really booked as well, but they can always bump lower prices fares for those willing to pay more.

For me, it's the best time to go, there are hardly any refurbs happening (although with Fantasyland construction it will be interesting to see), park hours are longer, and the suitcases lighter as you know what the weather is going to be! Drink lots of water and take breaks...

SallyP
06-18-2010, 08:07 PM
If the park (Epcot) is at capacity at 1 pm and you have dining reservations at a TS restaurant at 7 but don't want to arrive at the park until 6, will they still let you in to dine at the reserved restaurant?

xo0ally
06-18-2010, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely have to talk it over with family. We aren't planning on going until July 2011 so we have plenty time to talk it over.

Fastpasssteve
06-18-2010, 11:43 PM
It would be worth noting that Disney Resort Guests are guaranteed entrance into the parks. Now, obviously, the 4th of July is a special day, and that Disney does have certain safety rules set by the state and/or county about crowd volumes. BUT, if the park is closed to outside guests at 12 noon, a resort guest would still be able to gain entrance at 1 pm, I bet.

Best of luck to you.

DizneyRox
06-19-2010, 07:28 AM
If the park (Epcot) is at capacity at 1 pm and you have dining reservations at a TS restaurant at 7 but don't want to arrive at the park until 6, will they still let you in to dine at the reserved restaurant?

No, capacity trumps all... If you NEED to be in a park at a certain time, it is always best to arrive early in the morning and stay until that time. During most times this is not a problem, but you never know.

It would be worth noting that Disney Resort Guests are guaranteed entrance into the parks. Now, obviously, the 4th of July is a special day, and that Disney does have certain safety rules set by the state and/or county about crowd volumes. BUT, if the park is closed to outside guests at 12 noon, a resort guest would still be able to gain entrance at 1 pm, I bet.

Best of luck to you.
That's a little bit incorrect. Resort guests are guaranteed admission to A park, not necessarily THE park of their choosing. This means any parks and only one park all in the same sentence. The wording is pretty clear that is the intention.

I've been in Epcot when it closed to ALL guest well before noon. It can and will happen. Probably not this year though, the economy is still in the toilet so there won't be all that many people (probably). MK typically hits first, then Epcot, followed by MGM, and then AK. Not sure if AK though has ever reached capacity since the Millennium.

SallyP
06-19-2010, 07:29 AM
Here are the firework specifics from a Disney Press Release:

Three Disney Parks Plan Special Fireworks on July 4
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – Guests celebrating the Fourth of July at Walt Disney World Resort will have a choice of fireworks shows as Magic Kingdom and Disney's Hollywood Studios present special pyrotechnics, and Epcot adds a patriotic "tag" to its famous “IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth” spectacular. Here's what's in store (entertainment and park hours are subject to change without notice):
Magic Kingdom – “Celebrate America Fireworks” will fill the sky at 9 p.m. July 4 (guests who'd like to begin the celebratory weekend a day early can enjoy the special fireworks on July 3 at 9 p.m.). After the fireworks, guests can enjoy Disney's “Main Street Electrical Parade” of lights, music and magic at 10 p.m. and midnight on July 4 (on July 3, the parade will be at 10:30 p.m.). Park hours on July 4 are 8 a.m.-1 a.m.
Disney's Hollywood Studios – Special fireworks set to a rock ‘n’ roll soundtrack will be presented at 9:50 p.m. on July 4, providing guests with a bonus nighttime entertainment extravaganza to complement “Fantasmic!” (which will be at 9 and 10:30 p.m.). Park hours on July 4 are 9 a.m.-10 p.m.
Epcot – “IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth,” which features dazzling special effects, colorful lasers, brilliant fireworks, and fiery torches all choreographed to a musical score, becomes even more dynamic on July 4 as the normal show is supplemented with a patriotic finale. The performance begins at 10 p.m. Earlier in the day, guests will be treated to the Voices of Liberty 4th of July Concert – featuring an expanded cast of singers plus the Spirit of America Fife and Drum Corps and Disney characters – at 12:30, 1:45 and 3 p.m. on the America Gardens Theatre stage. Park hours on July 4 are 9 a.m.-10 p.m.
Disney's Animal Kingdom – Guests can enjoy all the regular attractions and shows on July 4 from 8 a.m.-8 p.m.

Rosemickey68
06-21-2010, 02:48 PM
We went last July. Whatever park you choose to go to on July 4th it will be crowded. Magic Kingdom is the most crowded on the 4th. We went to MK for the special fireworks show on July 3rd. I can tell you that the park was tolerable until around 6pm, it became VERY crowded and people were already picking their spots for the fireworks, it became shoulder to shoulder and it literally took us an hour to even move from the spot we were at once the fireworks were over.They had CM's guiding the traffic, and I have to say the firework show was awesome and we would do it again!
They said MK was worse on the 4th.
We chose to do EPCOT on the 4th, I loved it, even though it was crowded, there is so much space in EPCOT that it doesn't feel cramped or suffocating. EPCOT's illumination/firework show is AWESOME!
Which ever park you choose just expect it to be crowded, plan to stay in that park for the entire day, as you may not get back in if you leave (whether you are staying on property or not), the parks usually fill up to capacity on the 4th.
It's alot of fun to at least experience the craziness of an extremely crowded park at least once, it really makes you appreciate the parks when they are slow!
Hope you have a great time!

pixiesmimi
06-21-2010, 03:01 PM
I was very disappointed to see that the special Armed Forces tickets for $99 are blocked for the 4th for MK. Why, of all people, would you block the military on this day of all days from the MK? I understand about the crowding but why this group of people being blocked on that day at MK only? Of course, it is only the special ticket that is blacked out.