PDA

View Full Version : Wizarding World of Harry Potter Opens!

BrerGnat
06-18-2010, 01:41 PM
It opened today!

My cousin lives in Orlando (she's 17). She and some friends tried to go today. They changed their mind when they got there and found a SIX HOUR line just to get into that part of the park!!! The line goes from the PARKING LOT all the way around City Walk, and through IOA...

Holy cow...

Looks like a *few* people decided to go today...

Goofy Pluto
06-18-2010, 02:02 PM
Yeah, this doesn't surprise me. I just hope hope it's not too crazy when we go in August.

I'm curious to see people's reports from the park, tho. Hopefully people will post something here soon to let us know what it's like.

EmmMOM2
06-18-2010, 02:14 PM
The Orlando Sentinel newspaper has pictures of the lines online.

It looks INSANE!!!!

I bet it wont have died down too much by August, I think it will take at least a year...

I wouldn't think of going until next year...

Then again, I wont wait over 60 minutes for anything.

The line is now 7 hours to get into that park of the park and then if you want to go on the rides in HP part of park you need to wait an additional 2 HOURS!!!!!

tazlikesrobots
06-18-2010, 03:24 PM
WOW! I think I'll wait till next summer to go :mickey:

DVC2004
06-18-2010, 03:58 PM
They were doing a segment on the Today show this morning- park wasn't open yet I think. They had some performers and the cast from the movies. Wow, we plan to go in August and I wonder if it will be compeletly crazy!

joanna71985
06-18-2010, 04:49 PM
I was at the grand opening (arriving around 5:15). It was an absolute ZOO!! But I had fun

WDWfanatic742
06-18-2010, 06:59 PM
Just think of TSM and how crazy it's lines still get. Multiply that by 100 and triple the length, and thats how bad the crowds will be for this :D

forever a child
06-18-2010, 08:11 PM
I bet it wont have died down too much by August, I think it will take at least a year...

I wouldn't think of going until next year...

Same here, waiting until fall of next year...when it's old news!:D

I was at the grand opening (arriving around 5:15). It was an absolute ZOO!! But I had fun

Can you tell us what it was like? Did you actually get into that part of the park? Were you able to ride any of the HP rides?

Tekneek
06-19-2010, 12:42 PM
From what I understand, it is not quite living up to the hype because of some (possibly) poor design choices. The thematic elements to the area are supposed to be fantastic (can see that from photos and videos as well). The main problems are likely to be the size of the area (very small compared to the other lands in Islands of Adventure), and the wait times involved with the rides.

I suspect that for those who want a participatory involvement by going on rides, getting a wand, etc, many will end up frustrated/disappointed. If you don't mind being unable to do more than just enjoy the look/feel of the area, you may be able to expect to have a good time.

joanna71985
06-19-2010, 10:21 PM
Can you tell us what it was like? Did you actually get into that part of the park? Were you able to ride any of the HP rides?

I have to say, WWoHP is amazing. The theming is incredible (so many tiny details everywhere, especially in the shops), and Forbidden Journey is one of the best rides I have ridden...in any park. As for the grand opening, it was a madhouse. Like I mentioned, I got there around 5:15am, and there was still around a couple hundred people in front of me. Luckily, I got into WWoHP around 9am, so I just waited from 5:30-9am to get in. And I rode all 3 rides. I did Forbidden Journey 4 times (all via single rider, which will be a lifesaver for me), and the other 2 once each.

Daisy'sMom
06-20-2010, 12:29 PM
DS and friends ventured over and said it did not live up to the hype. They were disappointed and said it was a waste. Then again, the aren't Potter fans.:mickey:

Bethanymouse
06-20-2010, 09:03 PM
I expected HUGE lines for the first day. We are going in mid July. We have early access to the park because we are staying in Universal Hotel. Just hoping to hit the Forbidden Journey and get some butterbeer. If we get to do the other coasters than great, if not so be it. I think things will start to die down by the end of summer and even out a bit.

John
06-20-2010, 10:45 PM
Here's the scoop straight from the guy who owns the site...

IOA now has 2 of the best amusement park rides in the world. Between Spiderman and the Forbidden Jouney of Harry Potter, no serious theme park junkee can skip it.

The ride is unlike anything Disney has done and really ups the level of competition.

Simply fantastic.

Those who want to nit pick are simply looking thru mouse shaped glasses. If Disney corportate isn't thinking of how to one up universal - they should be. This ride is a game changer and should be on every Orlando vaction visitors MUST DO list - PERIOD.

BTW, 75 minute wait on Saturday nite - and it was worth it.

Oh, and Butterbeer is every bit as good as you imagined it to be.

My hope is that Universal will expand that portion of the park and include another new ride or two.

TheVBs
06-21-2010, 07:27 AM
We're hoping to go in Nov. if we can get there just prior or after the Thanksgiving break (because I'm assuming it will be packed during the break).

Tekneek
06-21-2010, 02:14 PM
If Disney corportate isn't thinking of how to one up universal - they should be. This ride is a game changer and should be on every Orlando vaction visitors MUST DO list - PERIOD.

I don't agree. Disney needs to keep in mind that this is a marathon, not a sprint. Does Disney need to be aware? Yes. Do they need to respond to it directly? No. Keep in mind that Animal Kingdom still drew more visitors in 2009 than any Universal park on the planet (and over 4 million more than Islands of Adventure). Time will tell how much of a "game changer" this is. 2011-2012 will say a lot more for it than this summer will.

Having said all that, Blackstone has really set itself up to be a big player in the theme park business. That is the long play to watch here.

John
06-21-2010, 02:25 PM
I don't agree. Disney needs to keep in mind that this is a marathon, not a sprint. Does Disney need to be aware? Yes. Do they need to respond to it directly? No. Keep in mind that Animal Kingdom still drew more visitors in 2009 than any Universal park on the planet (and over 4 million more than Islands of Adventure). Time will tell how much of a "game changer" this is. 2011-2012 will say a lot more for it than this summer will.

Having said all that, Blackstone has really set itself up to be a big player in the theme park business. That is the long play to watch here.

You can disagree (this is a discussion board after all and one sided opinions make for dull reading) but this is a huge deal and people I keep contact with at Disney know it.

Universal has really geared up the PR machine and they have a solid product that can definately steal vacation days from Disney visitors.

Indeed, we'll see in the months and year ahead.

Just as an example however, my wife has INSISTED we go to Universal this summer specifically because of the Harry Potter attraction - and in fact is leaning towards us staying at a Universal Resort for the first time ever.

Now, I can't imagine she's the only one.....

DixieBelle
06-21-2010, 02:39 PM
I agree with John.
I have never been to Universal but I have read every Harry Potter book many times over, and I can't wait to go to see this attraction. My family will be staying at a Universal Resort and will probably go to WDW during our visit. See how one attraction can change things. This from die hard Disney fans. lol :crazy:

John
06-21-2010, 02:42 PM
I agree with John.
I have never been to Universal but I have read every Harry Potter book many times over, and I can't wait to go to see this attraction. My family will be staying at a Universal Resort and will probably go to WDW during our visit. See how one attraction can change things. This from from die hard Disney fans. lol :crazy:

That's exactly what I am talking about. Cool attraction, makes you want to go, changes where you stay and *IF* you have a good time - will alter future vacations as well. Game changer...

Tekneek
06-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Just as an example however, my wife has INSISTED we go to Universal this summer specifically because of the Harry Potter attraction - and in fact is leaning towards us staying at a Universal Resort for the first time ever.

We may be the atypical family then. It is the revival of two long-time extinct WDW attractions this summer that caused us to make a booking. My children have loved watching a copy of the EO film for years. They have also loved videos of the Main Street Electrical Parade and audio recordings as well. The opportunity to see both, in person, at the price of going to WDW (instead of crossing the country to Disneyland) was too compelling.

The Harry Potter stuff was not even on the radar for this summer. My son, 9 years old, read all but the last book so far (and he is reading that one right now), and seen all the movies that are out, has expressed zero desire to run over to see that (although he has watched web videos of the land and listened to podcasts talking about it). The opportunity to see EO and MSEP excited him far more.

Tekneek
06-21-2010, 02:48 PM
That's exactly what I am talking about. Cool attraction, makes you want to go, changes where you stay and *IF* you have a good time - will alter future vacations as well. Game changer...

It is the kind of thing I don't mind waiting for. I don't feel the need to get down there immediately for it, nor does anyone in my family. Personally, it is no more compelling than Seuss Landing. I may not represent the typical park goer, of course.

I am not anti-Universal either. I have put up quite the pro-Universal argument against those who think you have to be anti-Universal if you are pro-Disney in the past. I really do like Islands of Adventure, but it has never been enough to get me down to Orlando by itself and likely never will be. Being a Jay Ward fan, the way they have minimized those properties over the years (compared to when there was a lot of merchandise and characters on site) has irked me, but overall it is a good park and I am glad it is there.

John
06-21-2010, 02:51 PM
My guess is if you were pumped about it - so would be your son (esp. at age 9). Me with 13 and 15 year olds (who love disney) wanted to ride this new ride after hearing how good it is... and then having a wife who loves the books doesn't hurt either.

BTW, I am sure we will make it over to Disney and I for one would like to see MSEP again (though wife is a bigger Spectro fan) - but in the past, it would have been reversed. This time out, we'll probably spend equal or more time at US. That's a huge shift.

Scar
06-21-2010, 02:55 PM
Here's my :twocents: :

I've been to the Orlando area many times in my life, a few times didn't even go to WDW. I've never, ever had any desire to go to Universal... still don't.

Tekneek
06-21-2010, 03:16 PM
My guess is if you were pumped about it - so would be your son (esp. at age 9).

I was kinda excited when videos from previews were put up on youtube. He also listens to podcasts where it was hyped up. It just doesn't seem to be as big of a deal to him. Last time I was watching some videos, he was already so familiar that he was explaining it all to us (the parents). Still, he never said a peep about wanting to go. Knowing we're going to be in Orlando for 4 days, if he really wanted to go he would've at least asked if we could go.

When he heard about Captain EO and MSEP, he ASKED if we could go to WDW. My little girls ASKED if they could go to WDW to see those things.

John
06-21-2010, 03:25 PM

I've been to the Orlando area many times in my life, a few times didn't even go to WDW. I've never, ever had any desire to go to Universal... still don't.

To each their own.

Join the line of Disney fans have to comment on how they either don't care or who will never visit. Happens all the time in the theme park forum. It's not about direct comparisons. It's about appreciating what they are. Much like I really enjoy SeaWorld as well as a world class theme park.

Missing these parks - you passing up something that in many ways is just as interesting and imaginative as the product Disney sells. The attention to detail, the theming, the attractions are all there.

Anyone who is a huge WDW fan at least owes it to themself to check out IOA and US once.

Tekneek
06-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Anyone who is a huge WDW fan at least owes it to themself to check out IOA and US once.

I very much agree. More important than just visiting it though, is also having an open mind when you're actually there.

People should try it at least once, but keep the height requirements in mind if you have children on the trip. Being at IOA with small children pretty much limits you to Seuss Landing.

Scar
06-21-2010, 03:51 PM
Oh I'm not saying I would never go, just don't have any desire to. And I certainly won't be going anytime soon with those crowds and when I do go it will definately not be because of some popular kids book that I have no interest in whatsoever. Seuss Land sounds more apealling to me (as I loved Dr. Seuss as a kid.)

Tekneek
06-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Seuss Land sounds more apealling to me (as I loved Dr. Seuss as a kid.)

Seuss Landing was very well done. Prior to the opening of the Wizarding World thing, it was hands down the best themed area over there. It is also about twice as large as the Wizarding World, from what I have heard.

Ms. Mode
06-21-2010, 04:09 PM

I'm with Scar on this one. There is a magic about WDW that other parks don't have (and I've been from coast to coast) that's what keeps use going back. :mickey:

However, I'm glad that there is a choice for those who don't think like I do :)

John
06-21-2010, 04:43 PM
I'm with Scar on this one. There is a magic about WDW that other parks don't have (and I've been from coast to coast) that's what keeps use going back. :mickey:

However, I'm glad that there is a choice for those who don't think like I do :)

Have you been to IOA? Just curious.

joanna71985
06-21-2010, 08:49 PM
I was one of the ones who was never interested in going to US/IoA. However, I went with my roomates- and was hooked. I ended up getting an AP, and now I go all the time.

John
06-21-2010, 08:51 PM
I was one of the ones who was never interested in going to US/IoA. However, I went with my roomates- and was hooked. I ended up getting an AP, and now I go all the time.

Actually, I have to admit - I was there too at one point about 5-6 years ago and finally went. Have been going as well since and have held AP's a number of years.

Bethanymouse
06-21-2010, 09:01 PM
You can disagree (this is a discussion board after all and one sided opinions make for dull reading) but this is a huge deal and people I keep contact with at Disney know it.

Universal has really geared up the PR machine and they have a solid product that can definately steal vacation days from Disney visitors.

Indeed, we'll see in the months and year ahead.

Now, I can't imagine she's the only one.....

John,
I agree with you completely....and your wife...she isnt the only one! We are booked there this summer too!

BrerGnat
06-21-2010, 10:15 PM
Next time I go to Orlando, I WILL be visiting IOA. And, I will stay onsite there for at LEAST two nighs for FoL priviledges. US, I cannot stand, but IOA rocks!!! I also like CIty Walk. It's got better dining than DtD.

Disneymom4ever
06-22-2010, 06:43 AM
I have to say, I have two teenage boys, ages 14 and 17, who are die hard Disney fans. They love it as much as I do, and that says A LOT! But... we are planning a trip for Christmas, and they said their #1 reason for going is for Harry Potter land! They just HAVE to go there! Yes they've read the books, and yes they love the movies. And yes, we are staying onsite for the early entry priviledges/front of the line passes (Those are like gold!). Now granted, we do usually add Universal/IOA onto our trip anyway- we just really enjoy those parks as well. They are different from Disney, but very well done, and just so much fun in my opinion. But this brings it to a whole new level for my boys. I'm glad the new ride is getting such good reviews. We just can't wait! :mickey:

eam
06-22-2010, 08:53 AM
And yes, we are staying onsite for the early entry priviledges/front of the line passes (Those are like gold!). :mickey:

I thought I read that the front on line passes weren't valid at HP. Is that true? We were thinking of adding days to our vacation to go to US, but heard that the passes weren't good for this area, so would wait for it to calm down. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Tekneek
06-22-2010, 09:20 AM
I thought I read that the front on line passes weren't valid at HP. Is that true? We were thinking of adding days to our vacation to go to US, but heard that the passes weren't good for this area, so would wait for it to calm down. Can anyone confirm/deny?

A lot of information is contradictory right now, from what I have heard/read. The most common thing I have seen is that FOTL can only be used once per day for The Forbidden Journey. Those of you booking trips specifically to get FOTL for Potter area stuff would do well to confirm this before throwing down a lot of money just for that.

Ms. Mode
06-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Have you been to IOA? Just curious.

Nope, we did turn around in the parking lot in January when we got lost....I think I was navigating...oops!

I have looked them up on the web; and although I love park rides, that's not what keeps us going back to WDW. Seems like when we're there everyone just relaxes and forgets about the outside world.

Now, if you're looking for thrill rides...might I suggest Cedar Point? :mickey:

DisneyFr33k
06-22-2010, 11:47 AM
We are a family that has LOVED Disney and will continue to do so for many, many years. However, a week at Disney is too much for our older kids (11 and 13). And our 13 year old is a die hard HP fan. So this is easy -- we'll spend 5 days at Disney on site and then 3 at Universal (staying on site). Our first trip to US as a family - we can't wait! The main reason we haven't gone before now is our 11 year old is not a thrill ride guy. We took him to Busch Gardens and he wouldn't ride anything, making us feel like we wasted our $$! Now that he is a bit more bold, as well as older, we think the timing is right!

badkitty
06-22-2010, 12:14 PM
As a kid, we went to US in CA many times when we took our annual Disneyland trips. I went to US in Orlando over 20 years ago. IOA wasn't there yet. I have an AP to WDW so the trips to Orlando are always to WDW since I want "to get my money's worth". I say I want to try IOA but never get there. Now that there is Harry Potter, the desire has kicked up a notch. I'm trying to get a trip together and I will definitely be including US. And yes, I'm still a Disney fan.

BrerGnat
06-22-2010, 01:02 PM
I honestly don't care if Front of the Line priviledges extend to HP land or not. The main reason why I want that is so I can spend LESS time in the REST of IOA waiting in lines, so I can have enough time to fully explore HP Land. I still love the Hulk coaster, Spiderman, Dr. Doom's, etc. I couldn't visit IOA without doing up all the thrill rides. I wouldn't go *just* for HP land...

I also assume that any stipulations to the FoL program regarding HP land will be lifted after the initial madness surrounding its opening. I am not planning on getting back to Orlando for at least a year from now.

joonyer
06-22-2010, 01:21 PM
I have looked them up on the web; and although I love park rides, that's not what keeps us going back to WDW. Seems like when we're there everyone just relaxes and forgets about the outside world.

Now, if you're looking for thrill rides...might I suggest Cedar Point? :mickey:

My family loves Cedar point, all the the big coasters there can't be beat; they put Hulk and Dragon Challenge (nee, Dueling Dragons) to shame. (even though you can pretty much do all the big coasters there (some several times) in one day. But Cedar Point's big coasters are not really themed attractions like Spiderman or Revenge of the Mummy, and those are two rides at UO that are as good as anything Disney has. I've heard the Forbidden Journey will even top those two as well, as far as special effects and immersion into the theme.

Don't get me wrong. WDW is still by far our favorite theme park(s) to visit, but we really enjoy Universal too (our kids are teenagers). As soon as we get the chance (scheduling and finances) we'll be visiting IOA to experience the Wizarding World.

Our next stop though, will be Cedar Point, in about two weeks. :woohoo:

GothMickey
06-22-2010, 01:42 PM

A lot of information is contradictory right now, from what I have heard/read. The most common thing I have seen is that FOTL can only be used once per day for The Forbidden Journey. Those of you booking trips specifically to get FOTL for Potter area stuff would do well to confirm this before throwing down a lot of money just for that.

Universal's own website states Express Pass is not available at Forbidden Journey.

From their website:

*On-site hotel privileges good for hotel stay as indicated on the room key card. Paid theme park admission required. Excludes separately ticketed events. Good for the number of guests staying in the room. Express ride access not available at Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey™. Express ride access available during normal theme park operating hours only. Some attractions excluded. Additional restrictions may apply and benefits are subject to change without notice. Access may be restricted during certain times at certain attractions.

Disneymom4ever
06-22-2010, 03:54 PM
That's ok, even to have the FOTL passes for the rest of the rides, etc. in both parks is so well worth it to us! It's a great feeling bypassing the long lines. As far as the Forbidden Journey attraction, we bought the hotel pkg. at Royal Pacific, which includes hotel and park tickets. Included is an early entry into Harry Potter land one hr. before park opens. So that is when we plan to tackle Forbidden Journey.

DizneyFreak2002
06-22-2010, 06:48 PM
John, thanks for your personal review...

Too many fanbois on other sites are convoluting any kind of intelligent discussion about this new land in Islands of Adventure... I am glad for Intercot where intelligent conversations can be had without any kind of name calling and verbal abuse being tossed around..

I have not seen the land in person yet... Any video or picture I have seen makes me think this land is awesome... From some reviews I read, including John's, it seems like Universal hit a grand slam with this.. I still don't think Disney will see any downward slide in attendance, but, if this new Potter land is all it is cracked up to be, Disney better be shaking in their pants.. Maybe this will be the wake up call TDO needs... Something tells me, NOPE...

Anyway, I had no intentions of visiting Orlando until next year... However, plans have suddenly changed... I will now be spending 4 nights on Universal property and 2 nights at my DVC.... Two of those days will be spend in IOA checking out WWoHP..

BrerGnat
06-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Too many fanbois on other sites are convoluting any kind of intelligent discussion about this new land in Islands of Adventure... I am glad for Intercot where intelligent conversations can be had without any kind of name calling and verbal abuse being tossed around..

Ditto that! I gave up after a fruitless attempt to read some reviews. I'll listen to people who can give a fair and honest review without any clouded judgment. It's hard to find.

DizneyFreak2002
06-22-2010, 11:20 PM
Ditto that! I gave up after a fruitless attempt to read some reviews. I'll listen to people who can give a fair and honest review without any clouded judgment. It's hard to find.

Stupid me got into it with someone who was obviously exaggerating things... It is sad that people cannot express their opinions about things without being bashed by the defenders.. The mods here do a great job in stopping things before they get out of hand... In fact, this person has personally attacked me again today, but my reponse back was deleted..

John, did you have a Butterbeer? How was it? How about the Pumpkin Juice or a chocolate frog?

John
06-23-2010, 12:05 AM
Quoting myself:

Oh, and Butterbeer is every bit as good as you imagined it to be.

Didn't try pumpkin juice of chocolate frogs...

NJGIRL
06-23-2010, 09:31 AM
I could never understand the reasoning from people if you love Disney you must dislike Universal. :confused: Even before HP, Universal was a top rate theme park. Spiderman & The Mummy are the best two theme rides I have ever been on and I have been to many theme parks around the country. Many other attractions at Universal mirror what Disney has to offer (ex: MIB to Buzz) and some even go beyond (ex: ET to IASW). This is a good thing because it gives "us" better attractions.

In my experience most people who dislike Universal have never even been there. :confused: Universal and Disney are different theme parks as far as the atmosphere. While I love Disney's atmosphere for what it is, I think Universal has a certain energy that Disney does not. We always spend 3 of our 10 vacation days at Universal and have plenty to do between the 2 theme parks.

If you are not interested in going to Universal that's fine, but IMO you are missing out on a theme park that has some of the best attractions in the country.

BTW John, what exactly is butter beer? Can the kids drink it?

Aurora
06-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Add me to the list of people who at one time had no desire to go to Universal, and didn't feel the need to "waste" a day or two there at the expense of the Disney parks. I am a complete die-hard Disney World fan.

We were finally "forced" to go to Universal because one of my sons LOVED ET and we wanted to take him before the chance of it being closed (Universal Studios in California had replaced its ET ride with Revenge of the Mummy).

We loved almost everything about both parks and CityWalk. Some of the rides and experiences are extraordinary. We also had no problems with cast members -- we found them in general as friendly and helpful as those at WDW.

When we heard HP was being built, it was a no-brainer for us. We are making plans for next year and even as DVC members, we for sure will spend at least two nights onsite at IOA/US.

Scar
06-23-2010, 01:43 PM
In my experience most people who dislike Universal have never even been there. :confused: Well, speaking for myself, I don't dislike Universal. How could I? Never been there.

It's just that I'm usually only on vacation for 6 days or so and can easily find enough to do at WDW and even miss some stuff. Why should I spend the time and money to do something else?

BTW John, what exactly is butter beer? Can the kids drink it?I gotta admit, when John wrote that, I considered going. But then I Binged it and... well yes... kids can drink it.

Now, do they serve Firewhisky? ;)

BrerGnat
06-23-2010, 02:32 PM
BTW John, what exactly is butter beer? Can the kids drink it?

Butterbeer is a carbonated drink, with a taste similar to cream soda, with a hint of butterscotch. It is alcohol free. It is served either cold or warm, I believe.

John
06-23-2010, 02:37 PM
:beer:

Butterbeer at Universal is served cold in two forms.

1) Frozen - think butterbeer slushie

2) Soda - sort of a caramel/butterscotchy fizzy drink.

Both are served with a creamy froth on top (probably the best part of the drink) with heavy butterscotch flavors and sugary enough to put you into a coma - but in a good way :)

I tried both and liked them both. I encourage you to do the same!

Safe for all ages....

DizneyFreak2002
06-23-2010, 07:08 PM
:beer:

Butterbeer at Universal is served cold in two forms.

1) Frozen - think butterbeer slushie

2) Soda - sort of a caramel/butterscotchy fizzy drink.

Both are served with a creamy froth on top (probably the best part of the drink) with heavy butterscotch flavors and sugary enough to put you into a coma - but in a good way :)

I tried both and liked them both. I encourage you to do the same!

Safe for all ages....

I do plan on trying both... Not sure if you know, but, I thought one of the podcasts out there said the butterbeer is sold in bottles as well as in mugs... Is that true? I know the pumpkin juice is sold in bottles.. Someone is selling one on eBay already LOL...

Katzateer
06-24-2010, 08:01 AM
My youngest and her friend are on the way to Florida and going to HP next week. I am so JEALOUS!

It might even be cooler in Florida than it is in PA.

They are also going to Epcot and Typoon Lagoon.

John
06-24-2010, 09:15 AM
Saw pumpkin and other types of juice in bottles but no butterbeer.

Tekneek
06-24-2010, 03:42 PM
We also had no problems with cast members -- we found them in general as friendly and helpful as those at WDW.

I only recall one negative encounter with "team members", as I believe they are referred to as. I recall going into one of their stores and asking if they had any of the Boris & Natasha shirts (Bullwinkle/Jay Ward fans know what I am talking about). They not only said no, but then spent the next 15 minutes that I was in the store loudly going on between them about how nobody in the world likes that kind of stuff and when they had them nobody would ever buy them.

Mufasa
06-29-2010, 01:05 AM
To each their own.

Join the line of Disney fans have to comment on how they either don't care or who will never visit. Happens all the time in the theme park forum. It's not about direct comparisons. It's about appreciating what they are.

I completely agree with John.

There's this idea that a fierce rivalry exists between WDI and Universal Creative and although it is intensely competitive I'd say there is mutual respect for what they do and in fact if it spurs even more competition then that's good for the industry.

When IOA opened- I think Universal looked to create their take on the hub and spoke approach and modeled the park on the Magic Kingdom yet for me with the exception of Seuss Landing there was always something missing in the approach. There's some great design work found in the park and in some individual attractions but it also felt very disjointed. They spent a lot of attention to detail in some areas, but then there are areas that seemed very unfinished.

I also think marketing wise the park suffered early on identifying itself as a second-gate, much like DCA at Disneyland with a lot of confusion over it being a separate park and rather than bring in lots of new visitors it actually ate into attendance at the studios.

With the Wizarding World, IOA now has an immersive environment with Hogswarts and Hogsmeade that can put guests into a destination much like the transition space of Main Street USA that the park was lacking.

Where it is of interest to me is their approach and emphasis on the experience and attempting to translate the experience from the screen perhaps at the expense of guest flow. My concern will be in the upcoming years if they can sustain that attention to the guest experience and continue to grow and expand the area with time.

For example, Ollivanders- crafting an entire show/experience around purchasing a magic wand. It is a very intimate experience but at the sacrifice of guest flow by limiting it to small groups and selecting one guest to have the opportunity to find their magic wand. But they resisted the temptation of building a huge retail space in response to the anticipated crowds that in a few years will feel empty and a blatant money grab in favor of creating an emotional experience so kudos to them.

The other challenge is balancing the expectations of the audience- you have fiercely passionate fans of Harry Potter and their expectations yet how do you handle someone where they have no knowledge or interest in the Harry Potter universe and create something that is appealing for them without having to hash out a lot of backstory?

As for the ride system on Forbidden Journey- I'll reserve final judgment until I can experience it first hand and will have to see how it is executed. By itself, I'm not terribly impressed with the robocoaster on a track ride system as with any ride system I think it comes down to the integration with show scenes that can make or break the attraction and I have doubts with the suspension of disbelief by saying you're going to ride around on a magic bench, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

SpecJoe Magic
07-05-2010, 04:28 AM
I could never understand the reasoning from people if you love Disney you must dislike Universal. :confused:

If you are not interested in going to Universal that's fine, but IMO you are missing out on a theme park that has some of the best attractions in the country.

You sum up very well exactly what I've been thinking. I'm a lifelong Disney fan, and I doubt that anywhere will ever surpass WDW as a whole as my favorite place to visit, but I really like a lot of what Universal has to offer. Both my wife and I have read all of the Harry Potter books and we've watched all of the movies, so we are eager to visit the new area. The entire area, especially the new attraction, looks great from what I've seen and read. I hope that Universal has great success with it because stiff competition within the industry is great for consumers. This will hopefully force Disney to step up their efforts in the near future. I believe that Harry Potter is at least partially responsible for Disney's decision to expand Fantasyland, so maybe Disney has been influenced to make improvements already.

Pagan
07-06-2010, 02:43 PM
I've always been stunned at the "I love Disney and won't go to Universal" crowd.

I love Disney as much as anyone else, but not to the point that I'd deprive myself of experiencing everything I possibly could.

And as for someone calling the HP books "children's books", you couldn't be more wrong. I think the HP fan base includes far more than just chidren, as the books (and movies) get darker and more serious each volume.

That would be akin to calling pretty much ANY Disney movie a "kid's movie".

PirateLover
07-06-2010, 04:25 PM
And as for someone calling the HP books "children's books", you couldn't be more wrong. I think the HP fan base includes far more than just chidren, as the books (and movies) get darker and more serious each volume.

That would be akin to calling pretty much ANY Disney movie a "kid's movie".

Exactamundo! Think about it... the first generation to read the books (mine) were 10-12 when the first book came out in 97. We are now full fledged adults in our mid-20s who have grown up with these books. I was 21 when the last book was released. Many parents read the books to their children. There is so much depth to the story that I typically re-read the series every summer and find some new small connection or detail that I missed. Here on Intercot we had long discussion threads every time a book was released. These characters have touched many generations and the books/movies will be passed on, and I really think Harry Potter is here to stay for a while yet.

Pagan
07-06-2010, 05:06 PM
These characters have touched many generations and the books/movies will be passed on, and I really think Harry Potter is here to stay for a while yet.
In all honesty, I don't think we've seen the last of those characters. I have this gut feeling Rowling will write another book eventually.

princessgirls
07-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Disney is good at being Disney, if that makes any sense...a leader in customer service and running a very well run corporate theme park/resort/entertainment mega structure!

Universal has more thrill rides, and for those of you with teenagers, you are going to want to go!!!

I will say this, my husband tried to book a Universal vacation package and was NOT happy. They don't offer the nice wrapped up package that Disney does with the Magic express, and dining. We didn't end up booking one and decided that on our trip to WDW next year, we would just go over to Universal for a day or two while staying at Disney.
Competition is good, because it almost forces Disney to be innovative and create new attractions to keep the faithful coming back!
Julie:mickey:

Tekneek
07-10-2010, 04:34 PM
After more reflection, I can tell why I am not that excited about it. What I enjoy most at WDW are the attractions that are not tied to movie properties. The things that are unique to the parks, that offer their own experience, are what I like most. That's why things like the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor, or tying Nemo to The Living Seas, don't inspire me too much.

What used to be so great about Epcot was that it had nothing connected to the movie properties (aside from characters that might be around, although rarely front and center). It was a unique vision and experience. I just don't get too excited about the "Come see what you saw in the movie" kinda stuff.

It even applies to Universal. My favorite area at Islands of Adventure was Seuss Landing. Yes, you have that in books, but it isn't just taking something from a movie and rebuilding the set. There is some imagination in there, in my opinion.

Rhetoric2000
08-14-2010, 04:37 PM
I'm heading to Orlando in December and really looking forward to experiencing the new Harry Potter attractions.

I have said on here in the past that my last trip convinved me that a combined US/SW/Busch ticket now supercedes an overall Disney package. And that was before HP has opened.

A family group of 6 is going at Xmas and off their own bat have booked at US and not Disney. This follows two others of my family groups who have followed up an exclusive Disney visit with an exclusive US one. These are groups spending two weeks there. They are also groups who up until recently would have been repeat WDW customers.

I do appreciate that there are still areas that Disney caters for that US doesn't (such as exclusively older groups), but that certainly doesn't include a young family group. Any vague validity that might once have applied to Universal that it is "thrill rides for teens" has now been reduced to a nonsense.

As has been mentioned already rides such as The Mummy, Terminator, Spiderman, Simpsons, ET, MIB, SuessLand in general have as deep a level of theming and "magic" as Disney attractions.

And attractions such as Disaster!, Blues Brothers and the Makeup show have a close level interaction "magic" with employees that Disney once had (most notably in old Future World) and no longer has outside of AK (where it tends to go unappreciated).

That for me is what Disney "magic" was/is - deep theming and close level intaction. And Universal has matched - at in the case of the latter - surpassed it.

And I say all this as a lifelong Disney fan and someone who still considers AK as his favourite theme park anywhere.

merlinmagic4
08-15-2010, 05:05 PM
Interesting thread! I have one question: how much time do we need to fully experience Harry Potter World? We only have 6 park days on our next vacation (April 2011). I was thinking 4 Disney days and 2 Universal days. What do you think? My daughter is a HUGE Harry Potter fan and wants to see/do it all! I should mention that it is the week before Easter (bummer) so it will probably be very busy. Is 2 days enough?

Tekneek
08-15-2010, 05:26 PM
I should mention that it is the week before Easter (bummer) so it will probably be very busy. Is 2 days enough?

If you expect that you are only interested in the Harry Potter section of the park, then 1 day is surely enough. If you are willing to give the rest of IOA and/or Universal Studios a chance, then 2 days should give you a decent chance to sample it.

brownie
10-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Looking forward to our December trip. We'll be headed to Universal Orlando for a couple days for the first time, so we can experience the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. I feel bad about taking a couple days away from Walt Disney World, but we really want to see the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. We delayed this trip to be able to see it.

Silver_Surfer
01-04-2011, 12:47 AM
Can someone give me the fastest route to Harry Potter? As I enter should I go left or right?

Thanks!!!!!!:thumbsup:

John
01-04-2011, 12:52 AM
Can someone give me the fastest route to Harry Potter? As I enter should I go left or right?

Thanks!!!!!!:thumbsup:

If you mean upon entering IOA - you will have only one choice - the way universal employees guide you. Most likely that will be to the left where the queue will start somewhere around the jurrasic park area.

In theory, if there were no one in the park and no one is telling you which way to go, you go to the right to get there quickest thru Seuss Landing, on past Posidens Fury and Sinbad into the Wizarding World.

If you are talking at the attraction itself - simple. Do single rider and cut an hour or more off your wait.

Enjoy.

Silver_Surfer
01-04-2011, 11:06 AM
If you mean upon entering IOA - you will have only one choice - the way universal employees guide you. Most likely that will be to the left where the queue will start somewhere around the jurrasic park area.

In theory, if there were no one in the park and no one is telling you which way to go, you go to the right to get there quickest thru Seuss Landing, on past Posidens Fury and Sinbad into the Wizarding World.

If you are talking at the attraction itself - simple. Do single rider and cut an hour or more off your wait.

Enjoy.

You were reading my mind. I was planing my assault:cool: from the website maps. I had planned to go right as you said but was looking for the best route because I have read that people was b-lining it to the Harry Potter attraction as soon as the park gates open.

Thank You!:beer:

JabberJaws
01-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Personally I'd advise coming to the park about 30 minutes or so after it opens and NOT dealing w/ the crazy people pushing and shoving their way to HP. Yeah, you may have to wait a little longer, but it isn't worth the madness.

That being said, a good way to do it IMO is to use the "touring" line to check out the castle, take pics, etc. This is a line that just goes through the castle up to the sorting hat, but not into the loading area. You can stop and take pics all you want and not have to worry about people getting fussy. Then, when you want to ride the ride, do the single rider line.

But absolutely do not miss out on the full castle queue. I think that it is worth it to do it the first time by waiting in line w/ everyone else, just to experience the queue. Then if you want to ride again, single rider.

Silver_Surfer
01-05-2011, 12:01 AM
Personally I'd advise coming to the park about 30 minutes or so after it opens and NOT dealing w/ the crazy people pushing and shoving their way to HP. Yeah, you may have to wait a little longer, but it isn't worth the madness.

That being said, a good way to do it IMO is to use the "touring" line to check out the castle, take pics, etc. This is a line that just goes through the castle up to the sorting hat, but not into the loading area. You can stop and take pics all you want and not have to worry about people getting fussy. Then, when you want to ride the ride, do the single rider line.

But absolutely do not miss out on the full castle queue. I think that it is worth it to do it the first time by waiting in line w/ everyone else, just to experience the queue. Then if you want to ride again, single rider.

Thanks for the tips:thumbsup: I'll keep both in mind if the fam does not want to go again.

luvdiznee
06-03-2011, 04:22 PM
We will be there in September, will it still be massively overcrowded.:(

pianobabe
06-03-2011, 07:49 PM
We will be there in September, will it still be massively overcrowded.:(

We were there about 3 weeks ago and we waited for Forbidden Journey for less than 5 minutes. It took us longer to walk through the queue than it did to actually get on the ride itself. I was surprised. There was a longer line to get into Olivander's than I saw in any other area at WWOHP.

Silver_Surfer
06-20-2011, 01:11 PM
Tip, if you have to rent a locker the lockers at HP is a mad house!

texas211
07-24-2011, 11:59 AM
After more reflection, I can tell why I am not that excited about it. What I enjoy most at WDW are the attractions that are not tied to movie properties. The things that are unique to the parks, that offer their own experience, are what I like most. That's why things like the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor, or tying Nemo to The Living Seas, don't inspire me too much.

What used to be so great about Epcot was that it had nothing connected to the movie properties (aside from characters that might be around, although rarely front and center). It was a unique vision and experience. I just don't get too excited about the "Come see what you saw in the movie" kinda stuff.

It even applies to Universal. My favorite area at Islands of Adventure was Seuss Landing. Yes, you have that in books, but it isn't just taking something from a movie and rebuilding the set. There is some imagination in there, in my opinion.

I do really enjoy the movie theme. Like the Jaws, Jurassic Park areas, or Star Tours, etc. However, that being said, there is something for the pure environmental factors like EPCOT or Adventureland/Frontierland.

caryrae
02-15-2012, 10:14 AM
Looking forward to seeing WWoHP this June. I was watching some video on youtube of when it newly opened almost 2 years ago and man the people.