PDA

View Full Version : Hilton Head Island - but not the Disney resort

iheartdisney
06-16-2010, 10:17 AM
We decided, last minute, to take a long weekend (Wed.- Sun) at the end of July or beginning of August to Hilton Head Island. Our favorite, the Disney Resort, is of course fully booked. Sifting through all the other options has been daunting. Does anyone out there have any advice? Any places you've stayed before that you loved? Any areas of the island you would stay or NOT stay?

We prefer a house or condo. There are 4 adults and 4 small children. Access to the beach is a must but we don't have to be right on the beach.

Any direction you can point me would be so very appreciated!

Thanks!

~Reenie

MidnTPK
06-17-2010, 03:48 PM
Not doing a weekly rental likely means you'll be in a hotel/motel/inn....and there's not that many of them in Hilton Head. Unless you find something last minute, Saturday-to-Saturday is how all of the home/condo rentals do business on the island.

If you can identify some places willing to rent to you the days you want, I can help advise on areas.

I'm actually driving to Hilton Head on Saturday...spending a few days there before my trip to WDW then a week or so after Disney. I visit Hilton Head for several weeks each year while visiting my in-laws.

iheartdisney
06-17-2010, 04:12 PM
Thank you for replying! We think we may have found something at Shipyard Plantation. Can you give us any pointers about that area? For just 4 days would it be worth it for us to rent bikes? Any restaurants that we simply must try? Thanks for any help you can give!

MidnTPK
06-17-2010, 04:33 PM
Shipyard is nice. Doesn't have any attractions/shopping inside the plantation, which just means you'll be in the car for most meals, instead of biking. The homes I've seen in there are great.

Renting bikes depends on where you are staying, but almost certainly yes, renting bikes is a nice way to get to and from the beach and do a little exploring.

Check out this thread (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=156592) for dining and other recommendations. They all still apply.