PDA

View Full Version : Papillon Puppies

LittleSpirit02
06-15-2010, 01:10 PM
Are there any papillon owners/breeders here? I'm looking into getting one and was wondering what advice, knowledge you may have to share. So far the breeders I've contacted all ask about 1700 or 1800. Any advice would be great!

Ms. Mode
06-15-2010, 02:26 PM
I went to church with a lady that bred these dogs (she passed away last year or I'd get you in touch with her), she told me she sold her pups for $1500 each.

Hope that helps a little.

MM :)

NotaGeek
06-15-2010, 02:29 PM
My advice would be do not buy dogs from a breeder. There are millions of dogs in shelters across America -- including papillons. Check your area for rescues and several have specific breeds. So many breeders are puppy mills, regardless of the happy story they tell the people that buy their dogs.

McLiberal8
06-15-2010, 02:39 PM
Please check out Petfinder.com!

They list all rescues and shelters in your area, and you can search by breed, even age!

retiredfigment
06-15-2010, 03:16 PM
I got my chihuhua/mini pins because of an 'accidental' mating. Best dogs ever. Agee with previous posters, check out petfinders or humane society. If you really want to get a pup from a breeder, do your research!!!!!!!!

Mickey'sGirl
06-15-2010, 03:23 PM
I concur! We live in Canada, and our Brittany Tate was rescued in Missouri, then taken to Ottawa for foster care before moving in with us at age 7 mos. He is a lovely lovely boy. I am sure there are Papillon rescue organizations that will work with you to find a fabulous dog! :thumbsup:

DisneyDog
06-28-2010, 03:46 PM
If you go to the website for the American Kennel Club, you can find not only breeders but breed organizations that are local to you. Many times, the breed organizations have rescue groups associated with them. If not, many times the group members foster rescues and may know of dogs/puppies that need forever homes. That's how we got our Corgis. I now have a mixed-breed and I got her from pefinder.com.

TheDuckRocks
06-29-2010, 12:15 PM
Let me start this by saying I don't know you and your family but, please do your research on Papillons as I know from 2 different families with small children, who are very close to us, that the little guys were not a good mix. Both doggies found wonderful homes with older emtpy-nesters. And both families have gone on to adopting other dogs that are working out much better for them. I'm wishing you all the best with your new addition to your family.

Georgesgirl1
06-30-2010, 05:25 PM
My aunt and uncle have had 4 papillons over the years and 3 of them have been rescue dogs. The one they got from a breeder was quite expensive (I am thinking $1500 and that was 13 years ago).

I would definitely look into a small dog rescue. The only issue with small dog rescues is that they will not usually adopt dogs under 20 lbs to people with children because it is usually not a good mix. DH and I contacted 3 small dog rescues and were told the same thing by all of them. We ended up adopting a dog that was 21 lbs.