PDA

View Full Version : 5 days in WDW: the good, the bad, and the wish I could forget

Kennywife
06-14-2010, 11:08 PM
I got up super early, like at 2-ish. Hubby was sound asleep and I got changed and finished packing. Popped online to wave bye to everybody till June 7.

Hubby got up around 3 and got ready. My flight was due at 6:10 a.m. I was nervous because there were storms coming.
Anyhoo, hubby gets me to the airport and I go through all the rigamaroll (this is the boring part). I finally make it to my gate. My flight is on-time!!!!!! It's always delayed!!!! I board with the others and the first half of the flight is uneventful. It was the flight into Orlando that was no so much fun. We hit BIG turbulance! I nearly had to use the sick bag. I can laugh about it now.

We land and I'm still queasy. This time, I went directly to the Magical Express counter and got right in....I didn't get lost!!!! I rode on the bus while watching the movie and start to see the signs of the resorts popping up like Universal, Sea World, etc. So, then, up ahead...the big arch with Minnie and Mickey comes up!!!!!!! I'm here!!!!!!! My hotel, Pop Century was the first stop.

I get to my hotel and get my packet. (Already did check-in). My room was very easy to find. It was right around the corner from the lobby. I dropped my stuff off in my room and decided to go exploring.

After calling the rents and hubby to let them know I had safely arrived, I headed to Downtown Disney. This is my ritual. I go to DD after I arrive and shop.

I shopped (mostly window) and had a snack. I stopped for a creme brulee at Wolfgang Puck Express. (I had the DXDP plan....seriously a lot of food. I never even finished all the credits.)

Went back to my room to rest. It was warm out and I was tired. That nite, I decided to go out to Boardwalk. There, I found great photography shots and one of THE BEST steaks in the whole resort! It was at ESPN Club. I had a steak cooked medium well with fries and mac n cheese. Soooooo good!!!!!! Afterward, I wandered the boardwalk and watched a guy juggle pins. That was fun too. I ended up calling it an early night and heading back to Pop. I was tired and it had been a long day. I needed some rest.

Next up........2 parks, 3 restaurants, and a girls nite out!!!!!!!

mouseketeer mom
06-15-2010, 06:27 AM
Very nice start. Glad you didn't get sick on the plane! Looking forward to more.

gauvin4
06-15-2010, 08:34 AM
Sounds like a very nice start to your trip!! Thanks for sharing.

yjgirl32
06-15-2010, 08:43 AM
Great start!

Mackflava99
06-15-2010, 09:15 AM
The start to your vacation sounds great

princessgirls
06-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Nice first day!!

Julie:mickey:

KylesMom
06-15-2010, 12:32 PM
Boy, the flight down sure doesn't sound like fun. I'm happy to hear you were able to quickly board ME when your flight landed, check in to your room and do a little window shopping at DTD. Your dinner sounds wonderful.

Looking forward to reading more. Thanks for sharing! :mickey:

faline
06-15-2010, 06:35 PM
Sorry for the rough ride but it sounds like you recovered from that fairly well and went on to have a lovely first Disney day!

Kennywife
06-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Day 2, June 3--

I wake up to hear stitch screaming "No Sleeping!" in my ear. It was my wake-up call. Had hoped to get Mickey. Oh well.

I got ready and dressed in a purple pooh shirt and dark pants since I was going to Crystal Palace for breaky and it's a character breakfast with pooh and the gang. I was most excited to go to Epcot later that afternoon and try Le Cellier at 1:20 p.m. I had tried to get in for 3 years, finally did.

So, I get on the bus and it's crowded and hot already! I get to MK and it's Extra Magic Hours meaning the park is open from 8-9 a.m. instead of opening at 9 a.m. My breaky is at 8:30. I make my way through the sea of people and wander the streets of Main Street. Now, I feel like i'm at Disney!!!!!

A photopass person took some pics of me in front of the castle. I'm making a surprised face like I just found Tinkerbell in my hands. I get to CP and get right in. The staff already knows of my allergy to onions (they bring on seizures for me) and was super attentive. The chef came out and walked me around what I could and could not have. He even made special eggs for me and pancakes!!!!!! I tried the waffles. They have chocolate waffles....they were wonderful!!!!!!
Everything was scrumptious and the characters all came to my table! I saw Pooh, Tigger, Piglet, and............Eeyore!!!!!! Eyeore's my fave! I got kisses form all of them too. The whole breakfast was outstanding and I highly recommend espiecially if you have someone who has food allergies or special needs.

Afterwards, I wandered around and looked for some rides. I rode POTC, It's a Small World, Big Thunder Mountain (first for me!). I never could get on Splash Mountain. It was always too crowded.

By now, it was getting really hot and I decided to go on to Epcot for my lunch. What I didn't count on was that the bus system was slower than Molasses in January as my mom says. By the time I got to Epcot, it was getting close to one! I pretty much half-ran (stupid idea in Florida heat) all the way to Le Cellier. That is in the Canada pavillion......at the end of the park. I was so tired by the time I got there and it was past my ressie. I thought for sure it was gone. It wasn't....barely.

I had to wait in the lobby of Le Cellier (thankfully it was air-conditioned) for about near a half hour. Finally, my table was ready. I ordered the Filet dry with fries.

I got the pretzel bread and only ate one stick of it. It was good, but filling. My steak came and the meal was very good. Not as good as ESPN CLub. But it does live up to the hype. My dessert was the Chocolate Whiskey Cake. I could taste the whiskey on it too! Here it is:

I come out of the restauant to pouring rain. Now, I have been fighting a sinus cold and still kind of had it. I should have listened to my mother and grandmother about not walking in the rain, but I didn't. I walked a bit, it got too much and I went into the Rose & Crown store where I waited it out. Bought my dad a Beatles cd and a new coaster for my house.

Finally, it was getting close to four. I was to meet my sister and her gf at 6 at House of Blues for dinner for their anniversary and her b-day. I was thankful for the wait cause I was not very hungry yet. (I have IBS and food doesn't stay in my body as long as it should)

So, I make it back to the hotel and rest a while........I wake to the sounds of my phone going off. Yup, I went to sleep!!!! It was my sis. Thankfully, they were having their room changed and it would be a while. I checked the clock. It was: 5:20 p.m. OMG!!!!! I literally jumped into different clothes, fixed my make-up and hurried for the Downtown Disney bus.

Now, when you're in a hurry, doesn't time just take longer? We got stuck in traffic!!!! LOL! I kept getting texts form Leesa (that's her name) "Where are you?" The bus drops me off at Pleasure Island........I needed to be at West Side. I hurried to the restaurant to find my sis and her gf were gone. They had gone to look for me. I wanted to scream some really un-Disney things by now. LOL. I finally caught up with them and we went to House of Blues as walk-ins. (Our ressie was gone by now) They got a salad and I got a small pepperoni pizza. Here's me and Leesa clowning around:

After dinner, we split up and I headed to Goofy's Candy Company where I cashed in a couple of snack credits. I stopped off at POP for an alchoholic beverage to take to my room and spent the rest of the evening lounging on my bed and snacking. I needed it.

Next up.........

Why you should always listen to your mother, Animal Kingdom, and steak so good it made me cry.

Kennywife
06-17-2010, 03:41 PM
I wake to my morning wake-up call (Stitch again) and feel awful. Runny nose, achy chest, coughing. You guessed it, I made my cold worse by walking in the rain! I planned to go to the Extra Magic Hours at Disney Hollywood Studios, but felt so bad, I rolled over and went back to sleep.

A while later, I wake up and head down to Everything Pop to get some cold meds and breaky. I got Mickey Waffles off the kids menu with juice and bacon. I went back to my room and changed into a Mickey and Minnie shirt. By now, the meds were working and I decided not to go to DHS, but instead Animal Kingdom. I hadn't been there in years!

So, I boarded the bus to AK and headed off to Animal Kingdom. I went to take a pic of myself in front of the entrance sign. One thing that's fun about traveling solo is that everyone wants to take your picture! LOL.

So, then I head on to Camp Minnie Mickey. I recommed going after 10 a.m. since a lot of people are on the rides or heading to lunch. The line was relatively short. I got some great pics (on photopass). I got the thrill of my life as I got to pose with both Minnie and Mickey. I got to kiss Mickey's nose! That alone was worth the trip to WDW!

Afterwards, I was hungry and decided to stop at Pizzafari for lunch. I got the kids cheese pizza which came with juice, carrot sticks, and a cookie. It was pretty good and for the price, around 4.99 I think, it was a good deal.

I then headed to Kilimijaro Safari. It was really fun and I got the majority of it on video. It bumped us all over the place. I saw lots of great animals!!!!!

By now, it was getting late and really hot. I had dinner at Cali Grill at 5:45 p.m. so I needed to get back soon. I tried to get into It's a Bug's Life, but the line was too long, as it was for Kali River Rapids. So, I stopped by a shop that sold some pretty Asian bags and goodies and picked up souveniers for my mil and ma. I then headed back to Pop.

I rested for about an hour or so and then got all prettied up for dinner. (Didn't think to get a pic of myself all dolled up!) I headed to Magic Kingdom to hop on the monorail to the Contemporary Resort.

This place is a maze! It is always hard for me to figure out and I always get lost! Which I couldn't find out how to get to the 15th floor where Cali Grill is. Finally, I figured it out and headed to the second floor to check into the restaurant.

Since I have an onion allergy, the chef came over and helped me plan my meal. I ordered a peach salad, oak-grilled filet of beef with roasted potatoes, and asparagus. I even treated myself to a half glass of Cabernet Sauvignon. (pics uploaded later)

Let me tell you, the meal was amazing!!!!! The salad was perfect and the steak was so good it brought tears to my eyes! The waiter asked me how I liked my meal and I replied, "It's so good, I nearly cried." I don't think I've seen a whole kitchen (It has an open kitchen) smile so big. My dessert was a Valhorna Chocolate souffle with berries.

I won't say the bill for this dinner, I'm just glad i had the deluxe dining plan.

Afterward, I headed back to my room to relax for the evening. I called my hubby and told him how must I missed him. I thought about him the whole day and was really missing my guy.

Next up, it all goes downhill from here. The hardest day ever on the road; heat exhaustion at Magic Kingdom.

Kennywife
06-17-2010, 03:41 PM
I get up at a reasonable time, around 7:30 and get ready for Chef Mickey's at 9:20 a.m. I head out to MK around 8:30 (since WDW buses are famous for never being on time) and wait for my bus. The first bus is fuller than a tick as my dad would say. I wait for the second one which surprisingly comes fairly quickly.

It's already hot. I mean sweltering and I'm tired and feeling under the weather. Not a good combination. I make my way to the monorail at MK and ride to Contemporary Resort for Chef Mickey's.

I arrive on time and check in. They snap a pic of me by the Mickey statue and then I wait in the lobby for my buzzer to ring. It doesn't take long. When I am seated, it is at the last table at a window next to a very funny family who I enjoyed chatting with. The waitress took my drink order, chocolate milk and apple juice and I waited for the chef to come out to go over what I could and couldn't eat.

The chef walked me around the buffet and showed me what I could have: the bacon, sausage, waffles, eggs and fruit. Pretty much what I expected. It was standard buffet food, not like Crystal Palace which was knock your socks off awesome! The main reason I came was to see the "fab 5" and after waiting an hour, they showed up to my table.

Here's me with the mouse:

After breaky, I went on to MK. It was now boiling hot. I think the heat index made it 105! The combination of heat, sickness, and crowds finally got to me. I was walking around and suddenly got dizzy-headed. I felt sick to my stomach and felt like I was going to pass out. I found the POTC ride and it was closed. I stood underneath the awning and when a CM came over, I told her I was feeling light-headed. She took me to the store next door for me to sit down. She offered to call a paramedic, but I knew if I ended up in the hospital, my momma would come flying down to Orlando, "Where's my baby?!!!!" (And I'm 33)

Well, when I got to feeling better, I went back to my room to lie down. It was then that I felt the familliar tingling in my lower back. I had had a seizure brought on by the heat! (I have Epilepsy) I stayed in my room for the rest of the day and called my family to let them know I was ok.

That night, when it had cooled off enough and I was finally feeling better, I got changed and went out for dinner at Raglan Road. I hadn't eaten since breakfast and was starving!

I got to the restaurant early and here's me on the statue outside:

I was seated right away and ordered fish and chips. Yum!!!!

This was my dessert, the Dunbrody Kiss:

Afterwards, I went to see MSEP (Main Street Electrical Parade). It was awesome! The park was super crowded, but the parade was worth it. I got the majority of it on video. It was an amazing experience.

Then, I headed on back to my room to rest for the night.

Next up, take the good with the bad: Epcot, Soarin, Illuminations, a meal I'll pass on next time, and buyers remorse.

Kennywife
06-17-2010, 03:43 PM
So, let's move on to day 5, June 6--

I get up early in the morning and grab a snack at the food court. Today is Epcot/DHS day.

I head to Epcot to take advantage of the extra magic hours. I'm glad I did.....I finally got to ride Soarin! It was as amazing as it was in D-Land! It was kind of cute. There was a little girl there with her family and she was scared to death to ride it. I told her, "I was afraid of this ride the first time I rode it, it's fun!!!!!" By the end, she was laughing. Soarin wins another convert. LOl.

I rode Test Track too. I love this ride. Basically, you get to be a crash test dummy. I love to go fast!!!!!

The Nemo ride was down and World Shwocase wasn't open till 11. I decided to go to Port Orleans Riverside (that's where me and hubby stayed for our honeymoon...we're coming back Oct. 26)

I hopped on the bus and rode to POR. When I got off the bus and walked into the hotel, it hit me. All those memories. I could see me and Kenny walking in the hotel, having fun, riding the horsedrawn carriage.....it may have been since my anniversary was in 2 weeks. I couldn't help it. I broke down and cried. I missed my honey so much and wanted to go home. :(

Once I composed myself, I had breakfast at Riverside Mill, which was as good as I remembered. Everyone was so nice an dI enjoyed looking at the restaurant. I headed to the gift shop afterwards and while looking around, I thought, "I made a big mistake. I should have come here and not Pop this time." Don't get me wrong, I like Pop, but with my schedule getting so busy, a mod will be better for me from now on. (Better transportation).

I bought a doggy dish (Kenny and I are thinking of getting a new dog) and another camera. I the headed to the buses and only waited about 3 minutes for the Downtown Disney bus to take me to French Quarter.

Oh.......so beautiful! I loved this hotel! (Have to upload pics when my computer is back). They have a real mardi gras theme going on. It was gorgeous. I tried my first beignets too....amazing!!!!!!

When I was finished, I headed on the bus to Disney Hollywood Studios. It was really hot now and crowded. The rides were full. I was only there mainly for Star Wars Weekend and my lunch at 50's Prime Time Cafe. SWW was ok, I wouldn't plan my whole vacay around it. I made my way to lunch at 50's.

I sta in a room that looked like a living room watching tv shows like Make Room for Daddy, Father Knows Best, etc. My name was called and I followed "mom" to my table which was right across form an old black and white tv. It was a very cute restaurant....it looked like you were eating in a relative's kitchen.

After letting them know of my onion allergy, I ordered a root beer float, fish sandwich and fries. I then waited and waited. My root beer float came quickly, the rest.....:ack:

I'd like to say this was a good meal. It should have been, but it wasn't. The root beer float was the best part. The fish sandwich was bland, the fries were limp and the dessert I ordered, smores tasted microwaved. I will not be eating here again.

Afterwards, I headed back to my hotel to rest up for Illuminations. After I had rested, I changed clothes and headed out to the buses to go to Epcot. Here comes the wait. Unlike at the mods where I may have waited for 3-5 minutes, here, it was 15-20. Never again.

I finally got on a bus and headed to Epcot. My ressie was for Le Chefs de France at 8:30 p.m. I got there in plenty of time so I explored World Showcase first. I sat outside of the beautiful restaurant and watched people having fun. I was starting to feel lonely. I just wanted to go home to my family. I missed my hubby so much by now and I knew we'd have a blast at WS, espeicially at the Japan pavillion.

I headed into dinner and got to use some of the French I learned in school. I was seated near a window. I ordered Assiette de Fromages (cheese plate), Gratin de Macaroni (mac & cheese), and a creme brulee.

My app was much to be desired. Only one of the cheeses was any good. The rest tasted......bad. One actually tasted like chalk. My waiter asked me how i liked it and I hate complaing about food, but I told him it was off-tasting. I just didn't care for it. That was putting it mildly. They ended up giving me extra bread instead and I was not charged for the app. My main course came just in time to see Illuminations! It was awesome! It tasted like mine!!!! Soooo very good! I love guyere cheese and it was loaded with it.

My dessert, the creme brulee was the best I've had ever. All in all, I enjoyed Chefs and liked watching the kitchen. I would recommend it, just don't get the cheese plate. lol. :sick:

Afterwards, I headed back to the buses. The park was half-emptied now since people had left after the fireworks. I ended up in a super long like (what else was new?) for the buses. I got on the second one back to my room where I collasped into bed. I had a long day awaiting me.

Next up....going home never sounded so good....if I can make it there in one piece.

Kennywife
06-17-2010, 03:44 PM
Stitch woke me up at 5:00 a.m. I got up and spent the next hour packing. Next time, I'm taking a larger bag.

Once I got packed, I got changed and headed to POp food court for breaky. I got Mickey Waffles with bacon and sausage, juice and milk. I also cashed in my snack credits; a Mickey rice krispie bar and pretzels. I thanked te staff for a wonderful stay and headed to my room to wait for luggage assistance.

Around 9:30-ish, he showed up to get my luggage. (My bus would be picking me up at 10. I went into Airline Check-In and waitied through the line to get checked into my flight. I turned around to see where to wait for the bus.....it was raining....cats and dogs. Thank goodness i had the Mickey Umbrella. I waited for the Magical Express bus and when it came, I got on wiht the others and headed off to the airport.

Two kids in front of me enjoyed a game of watching me dig through things and look silly. (to entertain them. I love kids and love to make them smile) :mickey:

When my stop came, I headed inside and went through security. I had a blue bag with Mickey and Minnie on it and everyone liked it. Went through easily and got to my gate. Eeeewwww....it was storming. My flight was delayed a bit, not a surprise. It finally cleared up and I boarded my flight. I pre-board so I don't take up a lot of time. (leg issues) I got settled and we took off. It was a smooth flight. I drank coffee and ate pretzels. We got into Houston early. (my connection)

I got off the plane and got a snack. I walked around a while ad then, went to my gate and waited and waited. Finally, we were boarding! It loooked bad out there and we were on time! he captain announced it might be bumpy. That was an understatement. lol.

A bucking bronco all the way to t-twon was more like it. I was so sick, I nearly barfed the whole way. :sick: Someone kept kicking my seat too, making me sicker! I was never so happy when htey said, "Welcome to Tulsa."

I get off the plane and walk the long corridor to the open gate. I see hubby! He has roses! I ran to him and hugged him tight. I was never so glad to be home. He asked me, "Do you want to go out to eat baby? We;ll pick up your mom with us." I was still so sick, I answered, "All I need is you and an alkaseltzer." LOL.

KylesMom
06-17-2010, 04:13 PM
You sure had some ups and downs this trip! Overall, it sounds like a fun time. Some of your dining experiences sound incredible!

However, I can imagine how different this trip was from traveling to Disney with your DH. I don't know if I would be as successful as you were with navigating it alone!

Glad you made it home safely. Until the next time . . . thanks for sharing all of the details with us!!! :mickey:

mouseketeer mom
06-17-2010, 07:12 PM
I really enjoyed your report alot. I loved all your dining experiences, I am a foodie at heart! I kept thinking I'd see pictures in your report, but they were not there.

faline
06-17-2010, 08:09 PM
Your solo trip was a bit like a roller coaster! One moment it seemed like you were at the top and gliding to a smooth finish; the next, you were being turned upside down and experiencing an unexpected turn!

Seems like you had some wonderful moments and some that were not so great! Thanks for your report!

Kennywife
06-19-2010, 01:12 PM
I really enjoyed your report alot. I loved all your dining experiences, I am a foodie at heart! I kept thinking I'd see pictures in your report, but they were not there.

My computer died and my photos were on it. :( Thankfully, I have most of them on photobucket. I will be uploading them on here soon, but I',m on hubby's computer now and it's sloooowwww. :mad:

Anna

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-19-2010, 03:00 PM
Thanks for sharing, the good and the bad.

Overall though, it sounds like you enjoyed your trip, and I enjoyed reading your reports :thumbsup:

RedSoxFan
06-19-2010, 09:41 PM
I, too, enjoyed your trip reports. All things considered, sounds like you had a great time.:mickey:

pdrlkr
06-21-2010, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

Joannelet
06-22-2010, 08:03 PM
You are a braver girl than me. I hate flying and your flying experiences:ack: made me thank god that my hubby drives me down there now LOL
(we are the same age too by the way!)
Although your trip had some downs it sounded like you had a good solo trip :)
I enjoyed reading all of your days there. I'm sure you will be sooo happy when you go back in October with your hubby :)
Thanks for the report!

princessgirls
06-28-2010, 10:58 AM
Thanks for sharing the good, bad and ugly. All in all, it does sound like you had a good time!

Until your next trip...

Julie:mickey: