PDA

View Full Version : Two Birthdays, a new job, and two steps forward at long last! Pt 1

Mickey'sGirl
06-14-2010, 09:22 PM
DH (Brian, aka CanadianWDWFan) – Celebrating his new job
Me (Jennifer, aka Mickey’sGIrl) – Celebrating my 41st birthday
DS12 (Harry) – Celebrating his 12th birthday
DS6 (Euan) – Celebrating life, cuz it’s pretty good when you’re 6 and at Disneyworld!

Day 1 – Friday May 21

So the boys had no idea we were going to Disneyworld until Thursday night at 5, when my niece told them, we were at our hotel at the airport an hour later. They were both very excited after it sunk in that we were actually going NOW ... not in some unforeseen time.

Friday started at a very early 2:30am. Our flight was at 7am, and we were told to arrive 3 hours early to clear security and customs. We had set the alarm for 3 am, but Euan’s internal clock seems to be permanently set at “1/2 an hour before my parents need to get up”. Thankfully we were staying out beside the airport, so we didn’t need to get up even earlier! The whole getting to the airport and down to Orlando process was very smooth and easy (except that we forgot to wish Harry a happy birthday until the Airline lady checking us in wished him well, and also except for the most miserable man alive, who happened to be the US Customs agent who reviewed us). We landed on time at 9:45, and we quickly retrieved our luggage and our rental car, and we were on our way to Old Key West.

We were quickly checked in at Old Key West, and Harry and I were given our Happy Birthday buttons, and we went to our room out near the Turtle Pond. We quickly unpacked and decided to head over to MK for a quick tour of tomorrowland. We took the bus (we don’t drive to MK, as the whole Ticket and Transportation Centre process is a bit much for the boys, especially Harry who was traumatized back when Euan was a baby, and we were caught in a 2 hour exodus on the Ferry after Wishes in the smothering humidity the weekend after July 4. ... but that’s another story). We moved quickly through security and onto Main Street, where our first stop was for :bar: :bar: for the boys, of course, then to Casey’s to grab some hot dogs, because our bagels at 5:30am were little more than a distant memory.

We decided to run across the Hub to see about riding Space Mountain and its updates. The wait time was only 40 minutes, but we opted for fastpasses, so that we could ride Buzz (there was only a 15 minute wait there). Brian and I narrowly missed our Galactic Hero targets; he by just over 100,000, and me by just over 10,000. Made me mad! Then we went over to TTA to take a spin with the updated soundtrack. I miss Mr. Tom Morrow! (but we all still LOVE the TTA!)... then to the Laugh Floor, where Brian was the Churro Guy, and then over to Space Mountain! We moved through the fastpass queue pretty quickly, and then were boarded. I think I’m getting old or something, cuz I didn’t enjoy it, nor did Euan, but Brian and Harry did. We decided that enough was enough on our limited sleep, and headed back to the bus for OKW, where we enjoyed some terrific pool time at Turtle Pond.

We had dinner reservations for Kouzzina, which is Harry’s favourite WDW restaurant... and since it was his birthday, all was good. We were seated quickly, and everyone enjoyed their meals. Harry and Euan split the fried Calamari and Brian had Sakanaki to start, then Harry had the whole Snapper, Brian had Pastitsio, Euan had the kid’s pizza with apples and carrots, and I had the Kouzzina trio (a small lamb burger, a small portion of the cinnamon chicken and orzo and a small portion of the Pstitsio). It was all fabulous! The server brought Harry a cupcake, and the restaurant wished him an “Opa!). After dinner, we walked around to Beaches and Cream to meet some friends who live locally, to celebrate Harry’s birthday AGAIN with some ice-cream.... and yes, he ordered the Kitchen Sink (which has A WHOLE CAN OF WHIPPED CREAM!). But we were all turning into pumpkins, as my friend said, and we parted ways for the night. What a huge day!

slegrant
06-14-2010, 09:33 PM
What a fun start, thanks for sharing:mickey:

lettripp
06-14-2010, 09:45 PM
I love that your trip report style is so optomistic! I can't wait to read more!!!

KylesMom
06-14-2010, 10:01 PM
Welcome home, Jenn, Brian & the Gang! Thank goodness all was well with your flight down - a bit quicker than driving, eh? :D

Love your first plans - Mickey bars! You hit the exact things my family is waiting for in July. Space Mountain, TTA (of course both were closed last summer) and BUZZ! I need to redeem myself after last trip . . . :blush:

What a great dinner - and a great birthday dessert for Harry. I can only imagine how exhausted you all were after your travel day. But it was a good start to your trip! I'm excited to read about day two. Onward! :mickey:

BrerGnat
06-14-2010, 10:43 PM
Wow! What a day! I'm impressed with your boy's stamina. And all that ice cream...they must have been on :cloud9:

Great first day. Off to read more.

T-Belle
06-15-2010, 08:01 AM
My goodness..what a full day!! Can't wait to read more!

Mickey'sGirl
06-15-2010, 08:07 AM
Welcome home, Jenn, Brian & the Gang! Thank goodness all was well with your flight down - a bit quicker than driving, eh? :D
You know what? I still prefer driving .... I hate the airport. :mad:

yjgirl32
06-15-2010, 08:22 AM
Great report!

faline
06-15-2010, 08:38 AM
Yay! Reports by Jennifer! I always love reading about your family Disney trips!

What an early morning start you had! Still, Harry had a great birthday!

gauvin4
06-15-2010, 08:41 AM
First of all....Happy belated Birthday to you and Harry!!! :cake: :party:
Sounds like a great start to your trip. I can't wait to read more!!

Dsnygirl
06-16-2010, 03:26 AM
:mickey: Hi Jenn!

What a great start... I am going to so enjoy reading your reports!!

Glad you guys got off to such a good start, mickey bars & all... but what's up with SpMtn?? I hope you guys found you liked it later on in the trip, and maybe it was just how tired you were! ;)

Your dinner sounded wonderful... we'll definitely have to try that place out, you guys have cheered it so well!

DizNee143
06-16-2010, 10:06 AM
what a wonderful travel day and some time in the parks!
sounds like a really great start to your trip! and
Happy Birthday Harry!!!!!!!:mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-16-2010, 11:00 AM
What a great start to the trip.

I agree with you, we still don't fly down just way too much hassle :)

offwego
06-16-2010, 01:06 PM
Jenn the trio sounds great! what a day though you guys are troopers.

Joannelet
06-16-2010, 04:32 PM
love this report!! What a great and busy first day!

DisneyorBust
06-19-2010, 08:33 AM
What a great start to your trip! Thanks for sharing your vacation with us.

dtootsie42
06-19-2010, 01:15 PM
Love your report! Thanks so very much for sharing, it sounds like it ws a terrific first day!

Dec. 1997---Contemporary
Dec. 1999--Poly
June 2000--Disneyland
Dec. 2001---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2003---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2005---Poly Concierge
Nov. 2007---Poly Concierge
Oct. 2008--DisneyLand
Dec. 2009--Poly Concierge
Next Trip Nov. 2010 Disneyland

#1disneyfan
06-19-2010, 09:47 PM
Thanks for sharing your first day!

pdrlkr
06-21-2010, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

Jennib
06-30-2010, 10:32 PM
great first day :)

princessgirls
07-01-2010, 10:50 AM
You are off to a great start!!

Thanks for the report, and CONGRATULATIONS :thumbsup: on all the good things you are celebrating!!

Julie:mickey:

BluewaterBrad
07-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Sounds like a good start! I am headed to day 2!!:mickey: