PDA

View Full Version : Sanaa or Jiko

southerngirl
06-14-2010, 10:54 AM
We're about to make our ADRs for our December trip. We're staying at the Poly, but I think my son will finally be old enough (and the weather cool enough) for us to enjoy a day at the AK. I was thinking that it might be fun for us to have an early dinner at the AK Lodge afterward, since we've never been there. We don't like buffets, so Boma is not an option. Which of the two table service restaurants would you recommend? The travel party is my DH, DS (who will be 2 and a half) and me. We're pretty adventerous eaters, if that matters.

megustamex
06-14-2010, 11:26 AM
They are both great. I do have to say that we also hate buffets, but we just love Boma. As you say you are an adventurous eater, I find it to be more fun than Sanaa or Jiko because you get to try so many different African-style items that really are unique. I'd encourage you to at least walk through when you get to the lodge just to see if it's something you might want to try someday! Service is always excellent there.

As far as the other 2 restaurants - both are upscale experiences so you'll want to be prepared with your 2 year old to keep him entertained. We've found in the past that Jiko can be a particularly long meal, probably due to the fantastic wine list and appetizer section of the menu. Jiko is in the main lodge, so you don't have to drive or walk 15 mins over to Kidani Village. It has more of an African-themed menu, where Sanaa is more Indian-focused. Sanaa has a small intimate feel to the tables, and if you get there early as you say you will be able to see the animals walk by you as you eat. Jiko doesn't have a Savannah view. I find the food to be excellent in both, but Sanaa seems a bit faster and easier for the kids. It's worth seeing both lodges and Savannahs if you have time.

PopPhan
06-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Remember that Jiko is a "Signature" restaurant and therefore, if you are on the Dining Plan, will cost two TS credits. Sanaa is only a one TS credit restaurant.

Sanaa has a windowed wall to look out at the savannah and see the animals wandering about, Jiko does not.

Food quality is excellent in both restaurants.

Personal pick with younger kids: Sanaa! Ask for a table with a view.

SBETigg
06-14-2010, 11:35 AM
I love Jiko and Boma (and I also hate buffets- but Boma is worth a try, superior to the usual buffet). Haven't tried Sanaa. With Jiko, you're in for a longer, superlative dining experience. You could certainly bring a two year old, and some will do well there, but it is a fine dining experience. Sanaa is designed as more of a family dining experience, from what I understand. There is a view of animals, and you shouldn't be seated quite as long. I've been eager to try Sanaa, and that's the one I would choose with a little one in tow.

southerngirl
06-14-2010, 02:30 PM
Thanks for all the input! I'd welcome more from anyone who has been to both.

I know that people LOVE Boma, but even if we didn't have any issues with buffets (I just have a "heebee jeebee" factor with eating food that is sitting out where other people can touch it), we probably wouldn't pick it until our son gets a little older. It's tough to manage him at a buffet right now, since he inevitably wants to walk with us if one of us leaves the table, etc. Maybe someday we'll get brave and try it, though!

cinderellagrl
06-14-2010, 05:16 PM
We visited both on our December trip (actually we dined at all three restaurants at the Animal Kingdom Lodge as we stayed at the villas). We visited Sanaa the first night. Our castmember/ server was excellent. He took the time to explain everything on the menu, and repeated anything we weren't clear on. None of us are "super" adventurous eaters, but we all found something we loved. The next night my dad visited Sanaa again, while everyone else was at the parks. He had become quite nauseous during the day, and the chef prepared something that would be "easy on his stomach". He reported back that they were very accommodating and made him feel very special. We enjoyed the atmosphere too! From many tables you look over one of the savannas! Great views!

Jiko was visited on our last night. We also enjoyed our meal here! While we liked the food here better, we enjoyed the atmosphere less. Our waiter we much more into "presentation" and had less time to chat and explain the menu.

I would vote to visit Sanaa, especially if coming to enjoy the resort. You get a great view, and a more laid back atmosphere.
Another thing to remember about Jiko is that the dress is business casual, so more than likely you would need to return back to your room to change prior to dining!