PDA

View Full Version : Entering DCA via the GCH

Disney4us2
06-14-2010, 10:16 AM
I encountered something I never have in all my visits. They are now requiring a room key to enter the DCA park from the hotel. (Yes I know that is how it is supposed to be, but never enforced prior to this) We always eat at the hotel. I know all of this is because of the WOC and the very crowded parks.

I went back to get a recipt from my lunch at Whitewater snacks and was able to re-enter the park via the hotel entrance. If not staying at the hotel.... save your recipts from your dining experience.

Hopefully it will return back to the way is was, if not... I will remember to always have my recipt:mickey:

Also... hand stamps were required for EVERYONE. Usually AP's don't need one.

NotaGeek
06-14-2010, 10:35 AM
The entrance at DCA is actually FOR guests of the DLR or people that are eating at one of the restaurants ... I have had CMs ask me for a key to enter DCA -- but it was before noon. Maybe it depends on crowd size -- but its good advice for people that are trying to enter from the GSH entrance.

I have been the DLR several times where due to crowd size CMs required everyone to have a hand stamp.

BrerGnat
06-14-2010, 08:06 PM
There has always been conflicting information about that entrance to DCA from GCH. I've had a NUMBER of CM's over the years assure me that in addition to hotel guests, that entrance is also for AP holders (although, not "officially" listed as an AP perk). We've even stayed there three times and never had to show our room key, even first thing in the morning. Times change, though, and with the WOC hysteria, it makes sense to keep that entrance for hotel guests only, considering there are over a million AP holders. I don't mind. But, as mentioned, if you do eat there, keep your receipt and that will work too.

As for the hand stamp thing, that happens a LOT during crowded days. Today and tomorrow are some of the last days before So. Cal Select and So Cal AP holders are blocked out for the rest of the summer. Next Monday and Tuesday (as well as today and tomorrow) are the last 4 days for ALL these AP holders to get into the parks. So, crowds are definitely going to be HUGE, since there are also WOC shows those four days.

We were at DL today and it was MOBBED. Such madness, we only rode three Fantasyland rides and were there for almost 4 hours! I was glad to be able to go back home and know that when I return on Wed., the crowds will be WAY less.

There were also a lot of school groups there today.

robnadina
06-15-2010, 12:57 PM
There has always been conflicting information about that entrance to DCA from GCH. I've had a NUMBER of CM's over the years assure me that in addition to hotel guests, that entrance is also for AP holders (although, not "officially" listed as an AP perk). We've even stayed there three times and never had to show our room key, even first thing in the morning. Times change, though, and with the WOC hysteria, it makes sense to keep that entrance for hotel guests only, considering there are over a million AP holders. I don't mind. But, as mentioned, if you do eat there, keep your receipt and that will work too.

As for the hand stamp thing, that happens a LOT during crowded days. Today and tomorrow are some of the last days before So. Cal Select and So Cal AP holders are blocked out for the rest of the summer. Next Monday and Tuesday (as well as today and tomorrow) are the last 4 days for ALL these AP holders to get into the parks. So, crowds are definitely going to be HUGE, since there are also WOC shows those four days.

We were at DL today and it was MOBBED. Such madness, we only rode three Fantasyland rides and were there for almost 4 hours! I was glad to be able to go back home and know that when I return on Wed., the crowds will be WAY less.

There were also a lot of school groups there today.

We have also found this to be true about the entrance to GCH. Whether we have stayed or not, we were never asked for a room key. It makes sense since the FP Dist for WOC is just down the way to start asking for one.
We are waiting until all Deluxe AP's are blocked out before we go. We know there are going to be tourism crowds, but the hotels still have AP rooms availble for the 4th weekend. So maybe wont be as crowded as we think come next week.

BrerGnat
06-15-2010, 04:18 PM
Just FYI, Deluxe APs are not really blacked out during summer. Only blacked out on Saturdays, and July 2-4.

What makes a BIG difference is the So Cal and So Cal Select blockout.