PDA

View Full Version : Explanation about Fantasmic!

finaldynasty
06-13-2010, 10:47 PM
Can anyone give me a reason why Fantasmic is only running a few times a week. Other discussion boards out there are speculating that World of Color will come to WDW...I see it as unfound speculation. It does seem odd that a very popular show is only run a few times a week and others fun everyday or every evening...:mickey: Thanks for any thoughts, insight or further speculation about one of my favorite shows!:mickey:

LVT
06-13-2010, 10:59 PM
My speculation is that it is expensive to have that many staff in a show 1-2 nights a week. There really are a lot of people in that show as compared to Illuminations or Wishes.

DizneyRox
06-14-2010, 12:53 AM
Admin costs probably play a huge part in the decision. I believe that are considered entertainment which is a higher pay scale than your front line CMs. With attendence down, the theater was probably not packed solid, so it's only shown a few times. This helps staffing in so many ways. With not everyone having park hopping, I bet MGM is busier on those days, and other parks not so much, so they may even be able to save on staffing that way as well.

The bean counters really did their homework on that one. Even during peak summer days, I expected them to extend it to daily at least, maybe even the multiple show times, but it didn't happen for the most part. There must be some significant savings being realized.

ANG
06-14-2010, 09:07 AM
My speculation is that it is expensive to have that many staff in a show 1-2 nights a week. There really are a lot of people in that show as compared to Illuminations or Wishes.

Ditto

crltkcagle
06-14-2010, 10:08 AM
While the World of color looks amazing I really hope they don't replace Fantasmic. Its my favorite show! I do wish they showed it more often hopefully once park attendance is back up they can offer it on more nights.

Gibbs
06-14-2010, 06:03 PM

Ditto

Double Ditto :). As with any business, staffing is the biggest expense. When buiness is down, you cut hours to cut cost. I'm betting that is the case here

Jared
06-14-2010, 07:17 PM
Somebody once told me it cost Disney upward of $35,000 for each production of Fantasmic!. I can't verify that information, but I suspect it is at least based on truth. It's evident from watching it that Fantasmic! is expensive, and it probably became a poor investment to show it each night.

Tekneek
06-14-2010, 09:00 PM
The answer on this one is, as others have also explained, all about the money.

Fantasmic is not a lock in our trip plans because of the time investment involved. We had been on trips before where they would do two showings on one night, and only then would we catch it (the late showing).

finaldynasty
06-14-2010, 09:14 PM
We are not going this trip either, but does it not cost a good bit to put on the Nemo show, Beauty and the beast or to have flipping monkeys in the Lion King?

Nascfan
06-14-2010, 09:18 PM
We are not going this trip either, but does it not cost a good bit to put on the Nemo show, Beauty and the beast or to have flipping monkeys in the Lion King?

Not as much as fireworks, explosions, and lighting a lagoon on fire does.

finaldynasty
06-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Just got to WDW this afternoon and this weeks time guide has Fantasmic showing twice each night they have a show. I can't find that anywhere online but I know this is the most current information and a pleasant surprise!