PDA

View Full Version : Lower cost points vs buy where you want to stay

PS1211
06-13-2010, 09:57 PM
Hi, all-
Okay, so we've made the decision to buy into DVC, but we're going back and forth between buying points where we would imagine we'd want to stay (BLT) or buying where the points are least expensive (OKW / SSR) and rolling the dice that we'd still be able to get into BLT / AKL at the 7 month window.

For the forseeable future, we'd be travelling in late August, non-peak season.

I've read tons of threads where people say that they've never stayed where they bought into and have not had trouble booking into other places at the 7 month window. On the other hand... do we want to chance it?
If you have some advice or input, it would be appreciated.

DizneyRox
06-14-2010, 01:13 AM
You'll hear a lot of debate on this one. Since you asked, here's my take.

Not too long ago, there were a large number of people expressing their dissatisfaction with their inability to get other resorts. Waitlists were not happening, and people were venting as they were told they could stay anywhere, they were lied to, etc. It really wasn't pretty.

Currently, the economy isn't in great shape. There are tons of resale on the market. This tells me that people are not vacationing as they were a few years ago. This would mean there is probably better ability for people to get non home resorts.

I am a big proponent of buying where you want to stay. If you can't plan your trip more than 7 months in advance it really doesn't matter. We would like to plan a year in advance, I'm chomping at the bit as soon as 11 months rolls around. Why? Well I don't want to have to stay at SSR, and my fear is that's all that would be open at 7 months. I would move my dates than stay at SSR.

I do think the waitlist problems are going to come back. Why wouldn't they?

vizsla
06-14-2010, 05:10 AM
I would purchase where you know you would like to stay on most of your visits. As mentioned in the previous post, being wait listed is not gauranteed, so don't let the lower cost make the decision for you, because you may end up being unhappy in the future.

Tinkermom
06-14-2010, 08:05 AM
OK, we are NOT folks who buy into the "buy where you want to stay". When we bought in back in 2001. DVC had a great deal if you purchased at Vero Beach. We jumped at the chance because without this deal we would not have been able to afford DVC. We DO love Vero and have stayed there several times but we have also stayed on property at WDW (over20 times now with DVC). Since purchasing at Vero we have also added on at SSR. We have stayed at every DVC resort on property and have enjoyed each of them. Our current favorite is Kidani Village at Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas. :mickey:

I realize that you may not feel the same as we do, that you may want to stay at the same resort each trip. But know that even if you do not get into BLT every DVC resort is wonderful and each has it's own charm.

We have never had a problem getting into the resort that we have chosen for any particular trip even at 7 months. I even booked once at 6WEEKS out for March and got a 2 bedroom villa ( we are a family of 5 and need the space :)). Now it was at Old Key West as that was the only resort that had space but again, OKW is a beautiful resort with HUGE rooms/balconies and we had a fabulous vacation. I have been waitlisted twice and both times the waitlist came through (one of those times was for BLT). You have to be smart though about your planning. If you purchase at a resort that you never plan to stay at you will want to AT LEAST book at that resort at 12 months out so that you KNOW you have a room. Then at 7 months out call and try to switch to where you want to stay. This is especially important to do during high occupancy times (Thanksgiving -Christmas, Easter, etc).

Good Luck with your decision!!:thumbsup:

PS1211
06-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the input. I am flexible, and I'd like to try a few different DVC resorts over the years of ownership, but I just have a soft spot for the Contemporary and the monorail (it's where we stayed every summer when I was a kid, so lots of memories for me) so I'd hate to feel like I could *never* stay there if it was truly impossible to book away from your home resort.

I have no problems booking at the 11 month mark, and again at the 7 month mark (I'm a planner at heart!) and like I said, we'd be travelling off - peak, mostly.

CardsFan81
06-18-2010, 08:08 PM
My husband and I had the same thought battle earlier this year when we bought DVC. We had been eyeballing the DVC for a few years and after staying at the Polynesian, we knew we wanted a monorail resort DVC membership.

I will fully admit, I'm a cheap person. If I can save a buck or two, I will. But I'm also a little picky when it comes to my vacation. Once I get my heart set on a spot, I want to stay at that place. I'm not a fan of wait lists.

We knew that we'd want to visit some of the other resorts, but we also know that we wanted the ability to continue to book BLT time and time again with as much ease as possible. With that being said, we decided to go ahead and pay the extra for BLT. Since it's a 50 year commitment, we know in the long run we'll be happy.

With that being said, there's no right and no wrong.

Good luck with your decision.

dixielandings
06-23-2010, 06:00 PM
We bought into SSR b/c of the lower rate, instead of AKL, which we would've LOVED. First of all, we love SSR. It's a beautiful resort and I'm not sure why it seems to be unfavored by so many.

Second, this October, we are staying at BWV for the first time since becoming members. It has not been possible up to now to get a full week at any other resort than SSR or OKW. This time, however, when I called on the first day of the 7-month window, not only was BWV available, BLT was as well. I was TORN! But as we are going mainly to attend F&W Festival, and b/c we have wanted to stay there for such a long time, we chose BW.

I think the PP has a good point about the economy. We almost always travel in the fall and winter during off-peak times and still have not seen great availability outside SSR or OKW. This upcoming trip was definitely an exception for us as far as getting what we really wanted. Only you can gauge just how disappointed you will be if it turns out to be difficult to get into BLT with any kind of regularity.

For us, it was strictly a financial decision. We wanted to be DVC members more than we cared where we stay when we visit (my DH might say differently :secret: - he REALLY loves AKL). And I never regret saving money, especially when it comes to vacationing.

Best of luck to you! In any case, enjoy your membership!

Plex
06-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Keep in mind as well that there's 7 DVC resorts on WDW property - that's a pretty big selection. Even if your #1 choice isn't available, there's plenty of other awesome places to stay. Let's face it, it's DISNEY - everything is fantastic, even the supposedly "less desirable" places! :number1: I think with the construction of BLT your odds of getting in at other resorts just got better.

Also, you never know what the future will hold. Who would have thought that BLT would have been built when DVC first started? Who knows what new resorts will be built in the future? Regardless of where you buy now, you won't own at the new resorts when they're built (unless you buy more :secret: ) so I think the issue is somewhat moot unless you want to stay at the same resort every time you go.

Personally, I'd like to try them all, so it doesn't matter too much were I own! :mickey:

MinnieMommie
06-24-2010, 06:24 PM
BLT may be one of the places you may have trouble getting into at the 7 month window even in non peak times. I own there and tried to get in at around 9 months for my upcoming vacation and am on the waitlist. We did however get January 2011 at the 8 month window so the time of year does have some bearing.

I am always able to get AKL even though it is not my home resort. The only thing is that if you want concierge level or a value room there are so few that you are unlikely to get that at the 7 month window. Other than that the property is so large that you are likely able to stay there even if it is not your home resort.

Our other home resort is SSR. We love it there and actually want to stay there many times. If you are going for lower cost when selecting a property realize you may have to stay at your home resort so be prepared and make sure you will enjoy your stay. I hear the treehouses are really cool so that is another perk when buying into SSR.

On the other hand...the cost of points at BLT is higher now but the dues are lower than the other properties.

Lots to think about but in the end you will know what is the best decision for you and your family. :mickey:

DVC Mike
06-24-2010, 07:24 PM
I firmly believe that - for me - the best approach is to buy where I want to stay.

I'm a planner, and I wouldn't like calling at 7 months and be given a list of possible reservations I could make. I don't want to hope, I want to know.

I like caling at 11 months and getting exactly what I had planned to get - without any disappointment.

That's just my personality.

Hammer
06-25-2010, 12:02 AM
I am a big proponent of buying where you want to stay. If you can't plan your trip more than 7 months in advance it really doesn't matter.

Exactly, which is why it did not matter to me where I purchased. The only time I book at 7 months is for my Food and Wine festival trip as it is a 5 night trip and our 1 night in a 2 bedroom the week before Christmas. The rest of my trips are for 3 nights booked a few months out and Member Services has had choices for me. I just came back from a short trip to VWL in a studio I booked at 60 days out (had holding points to use up). Except for OKW, I've liked every DVC resort, and OKW will get a second chance since they are refurbishing the rooms which was my biggest complaint.

You don't mention the size of accommodations you will want to book. That makes a difference.