PDA

View Full Version : Worth $300 more?

biggun35
06-13-2010, 07:24 PM
POP Century vs Port Orleans: save $300 and stay at POP or spend the $300 and stay at Orleans? We have stayed at Orleans the last 3 times down, how much of a difference would we see if we stayed at POP?

forever a child
06-13-2010, 07:33 PM
I prefer moderates over the values. I love all the greenery. We just stayed at POP in May and I had a great time, but if $ were not an issue I would have preferred a moderate. If it is the only way for you to budget at trip to WDW, then by all means I wouldn't hesitate to stay at POP. So I am not sure if that helps or not...but I think as long as you can visit WDW you will be happy!:mickey:

gerald72
06-13-2010, 07:37 PM
It would depend greatly on the length of the stay. For one night I'd say no, for a few weeks I'd say yes.

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-13-2010, 07:42 PM
If you can afford the $300 then stay at Port Orleans again. If you're going to worry about the extra money, then stay at POP.

We just love POFQ, we were going to stay at POP on our first trip, but upgraded when free dining ws first offered, and haven't looked back. POP is nice, and more than fine, but when we've visisted, it just seems so much busier and crazier than Port Orleans.

Also, we have a DD who loves to swim, and she would really miss her slides if we stayed at a value.

disneymom2000
06-13-2010, 07:53 PM
I think it depends on how much you are planning on staying at your resort. Also, I think there may be a lot more kiddos at the POP rather than POR. I loved the POR for it's ambiance but if I had to pick $300 for souvenirs vs staying at a moderate, I would rather have the $300 for buying stuff I will have a lot longer than my vacation.

SBETigg
06-13-2010, 08:03 PM
It really depends on your finances. For me, I spend so much on a Disney vacation that $300 doesn't seem like a big step up to make it that much more amazing. But for some, it would. I wouldn't sacrifice any dining or extras to upgrade resort, but if I could swing both easily, I would definitely say it was worth it.

Brooklynos
06-13-2010, 09:04 PM
It depends on your financial situation. For us, moderates are worth it due to numerous reasons. The main ones for us are that they have a hot tub (our acheing bones need them), Larger rooms and atmosphere. But POP was great too!!! Just depends on what you have to have. We have to have good busses and a hot tub....

crltkcagle
06-13-2010, 09:27 PM
Guess I am on the opposite end of the spectrum. I say save the money and spend it shopping! LOL I don't see that much of a difference between the value and moderate resorts. THere is a little more space but not $300 worth. Other than that I guess buses could be an issue?

Fastpasssteve
06-13-2010, 09:52 PM
To some families, $300 is a large amount. I don't want to push you into a financial situation that leaves you unable to eat during your trip! BUT, if that's not the case, go for it! The differences are legion. I encourage you to try out POFQ! This is my favorite Moderate resort of them all.

Briansmom
06-13-2010, 11:00 PM
I really think it depends on your personal situation. We absolutely love POFQ but we also have a special needs child that needs the calm down time POFQ provides for us as well as the small size of the resort. I've never been to a value but trust me have looked and looked at them because of the price difference but they seem very loud (translate alot of stimulation). Also, POFQ has a ceiling fan and POP doesn't...this is also a deal breaker for my husband.....you know the kind....sleeps with a ceiling fan on even in the dead of winter... :freeze:
Reasons we pay the difference:
1. calm atmosphere and size of resort
2. ceiling fan in room
3. Refrigerator comes in room (no extra $)
4. Hot tub

But if none of these makes a difference for you, then you will probably be just as satisfied at POP....after all, as PP said, YOU'LL BE AT DISNEY WORLD! :cloud9:

Minniemo
06-14-2010, 06:10 AM
I think it also depends on how much time you will spend at your resort. We spend most of our time at the parks and return to the resort to shower and sleep and maybe spend part of the day at the pool. I've stayed at the deluxe, mods (POR three times) and off site. Next month we'll be staying at music to save $. I'll do a comparison then. :secret:

betteratmk
06-14-2010, 09:06 AM
We've stayed at Pop many times and love it, we've also staayed at POFQ a few times and loved that as well. I guess to us it really didn't make that much difference. POFQ is quieter but we don't spend much time at the resort usually. If we stay at Pop, we request a room facing the lake. We find it's much quieter than pool side. If the $300. means that you can splurge a little more on extras then I would stay at Pop, if the $$ doesn't make a difference than POFQ. I would rather not have to count pennies and stay at a value though.

disneymom15
06-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Guess I am on the opposite end of the spectrum. I say save the money and spend it shopping! LOL I don't see that much of a difference between the value and moderate resorts. THere is a little more space but not $300 worth. Other than that I guess buses could be an issue?

I feel the same way.

PopPhan
06-14-2010, 09:41 AM
I voted to save the money and stay at Pop, BUT you haven't said when you were going, so I don't know what 'offers' may be available.

If you are going during a 'Free DDP' time, Value resorts only get the Quick Service DDP 'free,' whereas Moderates and up get the Standard DDP 'free.'

If there are % off deals, Values always get the lowest % off, then Moderates, then Deluxes.

There are lots of things to take into account....

KAT1811
06-14-2010, 10:54 AM
I think it depends on how much you are planning on staying at your resort.

This is my thought. We are park commandos most of the time and spend little to no time at the resort so I would say save the money and stay at POP (although we have started to lengthen and upgrade our stays which finds us spending a little more time at the resort than we would usually do). If you plan on spending some time hanging around your resort I say spend the extra $300 and stay at POR.

EeyoresBestFriend
06-14-2010, 04:12 PM
It wouldn't matter what the difference ~ I wouldn't voluntarily stay at POP again.

But I am big on atmosphere and enjoyed the quiet and relaxed pace of the resort after a busy day at the parks. And I REALLY missed the hot tub!! There isn't one at POP and every night we soak our tired feet and legs.

And there seemed to be alot of loud, crabby families at POP ~ oy yoy!!! :shake: Definitely not for this camper . . .

So I vote for Port Orleans!! :D

eeyorepoohfan
06-14-2010, 05:33 PM
:thumbsup:I voted for saving the money and staying at POP. For my DH and I, it's the only way we can afford to go. The money we saved on the room more than covers our food and souveniers for the trip (we only eat at quick service). Plus, we are park commandos and get back to our room really late at night and get up early the next day. So sleep and shower for us! :thumbsup:We also really enjoyed our stay at POP last December and found it to be a great resort. We tended to get up early enough to beat the crowds to breakfast and usually caught a bus pretty quickly to the parks each day. You will really just have to see what's important for you and your family. If a hot tub, slightly bigger rooms and smaller resort are very important to you and your family then stay at the moderate resorts. If those things aren't that important to you, or you really can only afford to go if you save that $300, then stay at a Value. You'll never know it you'll like it, until you try it! :D I say, any trip to Disney World will be a good trip! ;)

Plex
06-14-2010, 05:42 PM
I'd say go for the Moderate over POP. The extra $300 in the grand scheme of vacationing really isn't that much money. The beds are more comfy and the walls are a little thicker so you can't hear the screaming kids in the next room. I've stayed at POP and definitely enjoyed it, however I'd be more than happy to fork over the extra $300 for better accommodations.

Just a thought though - if you've stayed at POR before, why not hit up another of the moderates? Maybe get yourself a pirate room at Carribean Beach? :mickey:

Mickey'sGirl
06-14-2010, 06:25 PM
I would stay at Pop. (Actually I would stay at the All Star Sports) :mickey:

jillluvsdisney
06-14-2010, 06:46 PM
I've stayed at both. I've had 2 good trips at POP but I'd spend the extra money for POFQ. I just like the atmoshpere much better. I like that it's smaller and there a boat to DTD. They have nice live music several nights a week at the Scat Cat Club near the lobby. Elliot Dyson is great:number1:

kathiep
06-14-2010, 08:30 PM
I would spend the extra money. It's not really that much and you were already planning on paying it - so unless there is some reason now to try and cut back, go with the moderate. We spend a lot of time in the parks but when we return to our resort, I prefer the landscaping and atmosphere of the moderates. They also seem so much luch crowded and hectic than the values. When we're back at our resort, I want to relax and we can do that so much better with the mods.

wdwfansince75
06-15-2010, 09:21 AM
We all make such decisions again and again....Dinner out, or pick up fast food....steak or chicken....or the hamburger helper....DVD player in the new van, or buy the Kia...7 nights at WDW, with DDP....or 6 nights, and meals OOP....
Moderates are larger, and have more to offer...Deluxes have even more...Do a budget for your trip...decide if you can spend the extra money, and decide if you really want to....We have never regretted the 7th day, or the larger room, or the extra character meal, or the extra t-shirt, or the extra Woody doll, or pins for the grandsons....and sometimes, it meant hamburger helper meals when we got home...and, no, we didn't get a DVD for the van, and our second car is a Toyota Yaris!

diz_girl
06-15-2010, 04:57 PM
I didn't vote, but I can't help but give my :twocents:. I haven't stayed at either resort, so take that fact into account while reading my response.

Part of me recommends POFQ, because it seems to be a resort that you really like, since you've stayed there multiple times. Another part of me recommends POP because you haven't tried it before and you might like it. Also, if money is a concern, then you might want to be conservative and go with POP.

But in the end, I'd recommend a split stay with POP and POFQ, starting with POP and ending with POFQ. That way, you still save some $ and you'd be able to try POP, but if you don't like POP then you know that you'll be moving to POFQ soon or you could always ask to move there early if you really don't like POP. If you like POP, then maybe you can request to stay there for your whole trip and you won't need to move at all.