PDA

View Full Version : How often do they...

crltkcagle
06-13-2010, 10:31 AM
We just got back last week and I have a question. Does anyone know how often (or if ever :sick:) they clean and sanitize the attractions? I was thinking about how many germs can harbor on something like the laser gun in Buzz Lightyear Ranger Spin. :eek: We always use hand sanitizer while we are there but my kids manage to touch everything. And of course since we got back I have had some sort of strange bug that the doctor hasn't quite figured out what it is. There was also an extremly large foreign tourist group while we were there and it seemed like everyone one of them were coughing up their lungs. And you know how tightly Disney can crowd you into a room like Haunted Mansion! :crowd: LOL So there is no telling what I picked up. Anyway anyone have any idea if they ever do clean the rides?

cajundisneyfreak
06-13-2010, 11:16 AM
That's a good question.In 2009 3 out of our group of 15 got sick.We were experiencing bad headaches,nausea,vomitting,diarhea.My case was the worst.As soon as I got home I went to the doctor.He said I picked up a bug but didn't say what it was.I got a shot and antibiotics.I looked so bad my sister was afraid they wouldn't let me on the plane to go home.lol Even if they do sanitize the rides alot of those bugs & viruses are airborne.If was not a pleasant trip since I was sick 5 out of 10 days that we were there.:ill:

Daisy'sMom
06-13-2010, 11:50 AM
Do you keep your hands away from your face, cough and sneeze into your inner elbow and carry an antibacterial gel?
If you fly, dont forget the airports, the planes. Let alone monies. Each time you touch money, think of the germs on it. Always try to keep your hands away from your face. And use your gel frequently.
Also, bring along a small container of clorox wipes and as soon as you get into your room, wipe down the phone, the light switches, the faucets, the toilet, the knob for the flush, the tv remote, the lock on the door and if you use the safe, the key. Anything you are going to touch, consider wiping it down first.

SBETigg
06-13-2010, 01:24 PM
I have no idea. I think they're fairly good about cleaning (especially compared to other places) but it's a high volume crowd situation and they can only do so much. The fact is that yes, you're going to be exposed to other people with other germs- anywhere you travel. And actually, frequent use of hand sanitizers reduces your own immunity to strange new germs. So while it feels necessary to sanitize frequently, we (as a society) could be sanitizing ourselves right into becoming prime carriers and spreaders of new hard-to-kill superbugs and viruses.

I picked up a terrible new flu-bug thing right here at home that is hanging on like crazy- I finally had to see the doctor for help to get rid of it. I think it's important to protect ourselves as we see fit, but to try not to go overboard or obsess about it.

BrerGnat
06-13-2010, 02:07 PM
I agree with Sherri. There's only so much WDW (and you) can do, but you really shouldn't do too much.

My kids are constantly sick (they are in preschool and kindergarten). They bring home EVERYTHING. I think it's a good thing they are getting sick young. Maybe they won't get as sick later in life. Neither of them got sick at WDW last trip, but they did BOTH get sick the day we got home. But, DH was sick the first day of our trip, so I think he got it before we left, and passed it along to the boys during the week. I never got whatever the rest of them had. I think I just got lucky.

The only way to avoid germs is to NEVER leave your house.

I think WDW cleans the attractions maybe once at the end of the day, maybe. The good news is that most germs can only live on a surface for so long...for the flu, it's 2-8 hours. But, since so many bugs are airborne, that doesn't help much.

Scar
06-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Germs are necessary. Humans could not survive without them.

LudwigVonDrake
06-13-2010, 05:37 PM
What I usually bring with me for the germs is my immune system :mickey:

Polynesian Dweller
06-13-2010, 05:57 PM
There was also an extremly large foreign tourist group while we were there and it seemed like everyone one of them were coughing up their lungs.

I don't think foreign had any thing to do with it and didn't need to be added. Anyone can have a cough with germs in it. Just saying there was a group coughing would have gotten the point across. And, by the way, up here, Americans are foreigners.

Off the soap box now. On Disney's overnight shift there is all kinds of manitenance that goes on and I have no doubt they do all sorts of cleaning at night. I have also seen cleaning going on in attractions and throughout the parks throughout the day.

But, WDW is a big place and lots of people come with various afflictions and its impossible to keep everything out. As others say, that's why we have immune systems.

dnickels
06-13-2010, 06:46 PM
How often do they sanitize the benches around Old Faithful? Or the railings around Niagra Falls? Or how often do we sanitize our own doorknob after visitors come over?

Probably never.

It's (almost) always better to catch a virus when we're young than when we're old. Colds at 7 or 8 might be inconvenient to Mom or Dad during vacation but the same strain of cold at 70 or 80 can lead to complications that end in death.

I caught lots of colds as a kid and I never get sick now. When I visit Disney I drink out of the water fountains, I touch the hand railings, I grab the handles on the rides and I've never bought a box of Clorox wipes in my life. I'd wager money that the kids whose parents try to sanitize everything won't have nearly as strong of an immune system when they reach my age that I do now.

crltkcagle
06-13-2010, 09:23 PM
The reason I brought up foreign is I know the particular group I am referring to don't require the same types of vaccinations that we require in the US and it always makes me a little leery when the entire group is hacking. I didn't mean disrespect to anyone. And I feel like this post is getting off hand. It wasn't supposed to be about how to avoid germs just wondering if the rides are ever cleaned.

I don't think foreign had any thing to do with it and didn't need to be added. Anyone can have a cough with germs in it. Just saying there was a group coughing would have gotten the point across. And, by the way, up here, Americans are foreigners.

Off the soap box now. On Disney's overnight shift there is all kinds of manitenance that goes on and I have no doubt they do all sorts of cleaning at night. I have also seen cleaning going on in attractions and throughout the parks throughout the day.

But, WDW is a big place and lots of people come with various afflictions and its impossible to keep everything out. As others say, that's why we have immune systems.

magicalmom
06-13-2010, 09:28 PM

I wonder if, rather than being xenophobic, the original poster wasn't just thinking that many strains of bacteria or virus tend to be geographical, at least at first? Travel to a new place, or contact with people from distant places will inevitably expose us to new and different bugs from the ones at home. (I think this is why teachers tend to get sick at the beginning of the year, and after winter and spring breaks - affectionate students share their travel "souvenirs".)

With crowds from all over the planet, a trip to Disney is bound to offer exciting new microbes.

While hand sanitizer is admittedly a mixed blessing, don't forget plain old soap and water; it's worked wonders for a long time now. Not to mention all the other common sense advice - cough into your elbow, don't touch your eyes, nose, or mouth unnecessarily, eat well, get enough sleep, bring your vitamins, etc., etc.

Consider also, you're going to be breathed on and coughed on wherever you are: in schools, at work, at shopping malls, and so forth. However, I hear that happy people tend to have stronger immune systems, and where's the Happiest Place on Earth? (Just askin' . . .) :mickey:

Plex
06-14-2010, 05:54 PM
I know the streets and such are power washed daily. The rides generally seem to be quite clean so I'd think they must at least be sanitizing them daily as well.

Even if there was constant cleaning of rides I'm not sure it would do much good. You're elbow-to-elbow with people constantly at WDW, so if you're going to get sick hand sanitizer isn't going to do you a whole lot of good! :ill:

crltkcagle
06-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Wow I didn't know they power washed the streets every night. It always amazes me at how much goes on behind the scenes.
[QUOTE=Plex;2066470]I know the streets and such are power washed daily. The rides generally seem to be quite clean so I'd think they must at least be sanitizing them daily as well.

1DisneyNut
06-15-2010, 11:00 AM
As has been mentioned, if you are constantly sanitizing and cleaning and using antibacterial soaps you are reducing your casual contact with the germs. Your body's immune system attacks the germs during casual contact, learns them and builds up a resistance or immunity to them. This may be the reason you got sick. Do yourself a favor and let your immune system do it's job. I never use any of them and very rarely ever get sick. I have had a head cold maybe four times in my life and had strep throat once and the flu once while I was a child. It may seem odd but studies have proven that those who constantly try to shield themselves from germs actually get sick more often.

SandmanGStefani24
06-15-2010, 11:45 AM
With crowds from all over the planet, a trip to Disney is bound to offer exciting new microbes.
:

:D:D

LOL!

If any former CMs know the answer Id like to hear it btw...Still for as much use as some of the attractions get, they are remarkably clean!

TheRustyScupper
06-15-2010, 11:57 AM
1) Equipment is not "sanitized for your protection".
2) Sometimes they get wiped down, but not sanitized.
3) The ONLY exception is if there is a "protein spill" on a ride.

NOTE: Protein Spill is a WDW code word for those emanations coming from either end of the body - most commonly from babies or small children.

CU Tiger
06-15-2010, 12:15 PM
It probably would not matter if DW sanitized daily. Once the first 100 or so people rode a ride, it would be covered with germs. Your habits of hand sanitizer, washing your hands, etc. is your best defense. :mickey:

HackLaSalle
06-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Or the habits of hand sanitizer are making resistant strains of super bugs like MRSA that come around... wash your hands with soap and water try not to stick your hands in your mouth and don't go licking things. You should be fine. I've had 4 years and 4 different proctors of OSHA training and all of them despise hand sanitizer. Soap and Water is the way to go. Not too hot not too cold. The one tip I would give you is use paper towels to ya know turn off the faucet and open bathroom doors so you don't get rid of all your hard work in one fell swoop.

LauraByTheSea
06-16-2010, 06:33 PM
Soap and Water is the way to go.
Words I live by. I pride myself on the fact that I've only gotten sick 3 times in the last 10 years. No antibacterial in my house and I have a good immune system to show for it. Now, I do occasionally think "how many runny noses sat here before me?", but I get over it... LOL

eandrsmom
06-16-2010, 07:24 PM
My two boys got stomach viruses on our last trip. Thankfully, they only lasted 24 hours. I think hand washing is the key. No one else in our family got sick because we were very careful about washing our hands. I think Disney is cleaner than any other theme park I've been to, so I can't blame them. It's just the exposure to crowds. Plus, I think that sometimes we don't get enough rest while on vacation (especially Disney) which can lower the immune system.

Rosemickey68
06-21-2010, 03:36 PM
It is not possible to "sanitize" any of the rides.
However, the rides are always clean, so I'm sure they have some sort of system in place. Probably a behind the scenes clean!
I have never seen trash or anything in any of the Disney rides.
Luckily...knock on wood, we haven't caught any bugs at WDW, I always make the family go to the bathroom and wash their hands before eating anything or putting anything in their mouth. I also make sure the family gets their daily dose of good ole' vitamin C, either by drinking orange juice or eating an orange,etc.
I'm not a big believer in using the hand sanitizer stuff too much...I believe in being clean and careful, but not over zealous....our bodies need germs to build up a tolerance against the bugs. The airborne stuff, well, that hand sanitizer isn't gonna do any good with that.... That's when I just pray, please don't let anyone catch that!

joonyer
06-21-2010, 05:12 PM
If you are a true germophobe, really afraid of other peoples viruses and bacteria, you would never dream of visiting a theme park in the first place. Just don't touch your mouth, nose or eyes unless you have just washed your hands, and you'll be in good shape. That's hard for little ones to remember, I know.

SoaringEpcot
06-22-2010, 10:20 AM
In college I worked at a theme park, unfortunately not Disney :(:sad:. But we did wipe the rides down every morning with Clorox wipes.

But as a previous poster said, "Once a hundred or so guest go on the ride it is covered with germs again."