PDA

View Full Version : World of Color Picnic

Tinkerbellaella
06-11-2010, 01:23 AM
I am interested in opinions if the offered Picnic with the reserved seating for the World of Color is a good thing. Is the food good and where is the reserved seating for the picnic? Is it seating with chairs?

NotaGeek
06-11-2010, 03:07 AM
Odds are we won't have anyone with these answers for a while -- the show premiers to the public tomorrow, so no doubt in a couple of weeks maybe out members might have tried it out.

Mufasa
06-11-2010, 04:01 AM
I am interested in opinions if the offered Picnic with the reserved seating for the World of Color is a good thing. Is the food good and where is the reserved seating for the picnic? Is it seating with chairs?

AP holders can actually get the picnic meals (adult) at a discount- $12.99 versus the regular price of $14.99. Also if you reserve online ahead of time, then those picnic meals include a souvenir tote.

Reserved viewing does not offer a seat. There is no reserved seating anywhere within the reserved viewing area.

The reserved viewing area includes Paradise Park and the bridge to Paradise Pier. Preferred viewing (offered with the sit down dining options at the Trattoria or Ariel's Grotto) is in the center of Paradise Park.

BrerGnat
06-11-2010, 11:00 AM
To add to the above, you have to pick up your picnix boxes between 2pm and 8pm. Where you eat it is up to you, but you cannot eat it DURING the show. There are several tables and chairs in the area where you can enjoy your picnic meal. When you pick it up, you will be given a ticket (similar to a Fast Pass) that has your showtime (first show if you purchase the picnic meal online) and viewing location indicated on it. You use that ticket to gain entry into that specific viewing area for the show at 9:15.

Personally, I think the picnic boxes look great. I've always been impressed with the quality of food at DCA, so I hope these are good as well. The only one that is questionable to me is the Asian box, that contains (cold) Salmon filet and sushi. I'd have a hard time trusting the sanitary standards of such a thing, especially in the heat of summer. :ack:

I will be partaking in the picnic meals to see this show. It makes MUCH more sense (to me) to have a reserved viewing area available, vs. having to rely on the Showpass from the machines.

In order to get the $12.99 AP price, you have to log in via the AP site, and proceed from there.

Disney4us2
06-11-2010, 11:27 AM
In order to get the $12.99 AP price, you have to log in via the AP site, and proceed from there.

Thanks for the info. Do you pay at the time of booking or at pick up? The picnic sounds like the way to go. You have to eat anyway.;)

BrerGnat
06-11-2010, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the info. Do you pay at the time of booking or at pick up? The picnic sounds like the way to go. You have to eat anyway.;)

You pay at the time of booking, and be aware that there are NO refunds, exchanges, etc. If for some reason you can't go that day, you are out of luck, so make sure your plans are FIRM before buying a picnic box!

Mufasa
06-11-2010, 01:10 PM
The only one that is questionable to me is the Asian box, that contains (cold) Salmon filet and sushi. I'd have a hard time trusting the sanitary standards of such a thing, especially in the heat of summer. :ack:

The Taste of Asia picnic box doesn't contain any items that would be raw or could be labelled as sushi- the miso-glazed salmon is fully cooked and then chilled (same risks if you went somewhere and they served tuna on top of a salad nicoise).

The "All American" could potentially be more of a food safety risk if there's improper handling between the cold fried chicken and potato salad/coleslaw.

BrerGnat
06-11-2010, 01:38 PM
The Taste of Asia picnic box doesn't contain any items that would be raw or could be labelled as sushi- the miso-glazed salmon is fully cooked and then chilled (same risks if you went somewhere and they served tuna on top of a salad nicoise).

The "All American" could potentially be more of a food safety risk if there's improper handling between the cold fried chicken and potato salad/coleslaw.

Good to know about the salmon.

You are right about the All American too...

I think I'll stick with the veggie option. ;)

Disney4us2
06-27-2010, 12:05 PM
We finally had a chance to see the World of Color with the picnic dinner.

I had the Asian picnic and everything was very tasty. It looks just like the online pictures.
I liked the noodles, DD tried them and didn't like them, but she is 10 and likes spaghetti noodles. The spring rolls were good, had some kind of orange looking sauce. The sesame dressing for the salad was very good. The salmon is a small portion, but very good. Loved the orange mandrin cake. I would get this choice again without hesitation. I was satisfied but not full. We ate a late lunch and I think that is was it was ok.

DD had the kids meal of the Jr. American. That meal had 2 pieces of chicken, string cheese, goldfish crackers, apple slices (bagged), and a white cake confetti (no frosting) cupcake. She ate everything but the cupcake. She didn't like the cupcake. Maybe it was too cold.

The child meals come with a glow bracelet and both meals come with a WoC grocery type recycle bag.

All the foods are in the fridge sorted by the type of meal. I liked that so that way the food is not sitting out. We picked up our picnic around 6pm and there was no line for it. They had plenty of people working to keep the wait down. We ate right in the immediate eating area, next to the Trattoria. They had it roped off though so the picnic dinners could not sit there. We took our time and finished just before 7pm. By then people were waiting for tables. I think we just hit it at the right time.

Just as a side note: I got my DD the light up cotton candy. Very cool. That was after my sticker shock last week. They cost $6.50. I wouldn't get it for her last week, but promised this week.... got over the sticker shock;) After seeing the wand, it is something that really can be used again by replacing the battery when it runs out. She was very pleased and happy with it. I guess that is what counts in the end.

For us this is the only way to go. Will be back for more picnic's in the future.

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
06-28-2010, 12:07 AM
Thank you for the post Marci.
Have been trying to decide when / how and if I will see this show.

The information is helpful.

:smickey:

mouseketeer mom
06-30-2010, 08:27 AM
This is helpful to know. We will book the picnic for our upcoming August trip. Is the picnic seating/section better or worse than the fastpass section? Also..someone mentioned the picnic seating gets in to the first show. I can't figure out showtimes anywhere. What time would that be? Thanks everyone!

Disney4us2
06-30-2010, 09:25 AM
This is helpful to know. We will book the picnic for our upcoming August trip. Is the picnic seating/section better or worse than the fastpass section? Also..someone mentioned the picnic seating gets in to the first show. I can't figure out showtimes anywhere. What time would that be? Thanks everyone!

After seeing WoC, there are not really any bad spots. Except maybe the section that is on a brige to the left side. The picnic package that I had was in the blue section, sort of mid center. The green section was in the wet zone. My friend was in the red section to the right side of the viewing area. I am not sure where others in the blue section were located. The handicapped section it right next to where the TS package viewing area.

The show times are at 9pm and 10:30pm. When you pre order the picnic online at Disneyland.com you will view the 9pm or first show. The first show has a pre-show which is really cute. You can purchase same day picnic packages as well, but it will be for the second show. The picnic's can be booked from 1 to 30 days in advance. Being that it is summer... I would book asap so that you can see WoC on the day/time you want. Only a certain amount of meals are reserved for the 9pm viewing. Look under the buy tickets section. It will bring up the calender. If it is not available it will be blank. I can't remember what it says when it is available:blush: Something like World of Color picnic.

When I want to see this again, I will be getting the picnic....no worries about lines for fastpasses.:thumbsup:

SebastiansDisneyMama
07-12-2010, 04:25 PM
My son will be 2.5 at the time we are going to Disneyland. Do I need to reserve a picnic dinner for him also? Will they let him into the reserved seating with out it?

NotaGeek
07-12-2010, 04:40 PM
My son will be 2.5 at the time we are going to Disneyland. Do I need to reserve a picnic dinner for him also? Will they let him into the reserved seating with out it?
Yes.

Here is the info from the official site (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/calendar/specialEvents/detail?name=WorldOfColorDining):

World of Color Picnic Meal with Reserved Viewing
Choose from an assortment of picnics — including American, Asian and Mediterranean-inspired meals — and selections just for little ones featuring favorites like string cheese and peanut butter and jelly. Each picnic meal includes a ticket to the World of Color Reserved Viewing section in Paradise Park.

All Picnic meals are $14.99, and include dessert and choice of beverage. Children's meals include a Souvenir World of Color light-up bracelet.

Online Picnic Pre-Ordering
Secure a spot for the first showtime when you pre-order picnics online from one to 30 days in advance. Annual Passholders can pre-order discounted picnic meals.

Sorry, same day and phone orders not accepted. Pick up pre-ordered picnics at your convenience between 11:30 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. at the Sonoma Terrace at the Golden Vine Winery. Avoid long lines due to same-day purchases by picking up your order after 3:00 p.m.

Same Day Picnic Purchase
Picnic meals with tickets to the second showtime are available for walk-up purchase, subject to availability, at the Sonoma Terrace located at the Golden Vine Winery between 11:30 a.m. and 9:00 p.m.

Included tickets must be redeemed for the designated reserved show date and time. No refunds, exchanges or other discounts. Each Guest entering the Reserved Viewing section must have a valid Reserved Viewing section ticket. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Guests may only enter the Reserved Viewing section during designated times and no early or late admission will be allowed. Guests in large parties may not be guaranteed admission within the same Reserved Viewing section. Separate Theme Park admission is required.

SebastiansDisneyMama
07-12-2010, 04:55 PM
I read that all ready. It's not real clear to me. LOL
So yes he needs the ticket. O.k. Not like it's a ton of money.

robnadina
07-12-2010, 06:04 PM
I read that all ready. It's not real clear to me. LOL
So yes he needs the ticket. O.k. Not like it's a ton of money.

I actually was confused by this too. My DD is 2 also and I usually split whatever I am eating with her. I am going on the 24th and bought her a basket anyway. I didnt want to take any chances I did need a ticket for her.
Happy planning

Mufasa
07-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Since children under 3 are admitted into Disneyland without a ticket it is not required that you purchase a picnic meal for them (using the WoC fastpass as an example, a child under 3 would not have or need a ticket to enter the park therefore they would also have no way of grabbing a FP for the show but would be admitted to the seating area with an accompanying adult holding a FP).

Children over the age of 3 however would technically need a picnic meal.

meldan98
07-13-2010, 03:10 PM
Is there also a reserved section available through a table service reservation. I thought I saw something about Ariel's Grotto?

Disney4us2
07-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Is there also a reserved section available through a table service reservation. I thought I saw something about Ariel's Grotto?

Yes!! You have a choice of 2 TS packages. Ariel's Grotto and Wine Country Trattoria.:mickey: