PDA

View Full Version : Input on Saratoga Springs

PS1211
06-10-2010, 09:37 PM
I've never stayed there, adn we're considering buying into DVC with SSR as our home resort. What are your opinions on SSR? We have a little girl who is 3 and one on the way in November. We're going this summer to the Polynesian and will probably not return until 2012 (WDW with an 8 month old is not my idea of fun! :) )
Thanks!

DizneyRox
06-10-2010, 10:02 PM
No sir, I don't like it...

Layout is much like a moderate... Multiple bus stops to me extends my bus trips to the parks and/or any other destinations.

I don't care for the themeing... I much prefer some of the other deluxe resorts for DVC, like Beach Club, Animal Kingdom, etc.

The food court is pretty good however, but there are good locations eerywhere.

We've stayed there a couple of times, we won't be back.

Hammer
06-10-2010, 11:26 PM
No sir, I don't like it...

Layout is much like a moderate... Multiple bus stops to me extends my bus trips to the parks and/or any other destinations.

OKW is set up the exact same way, so I can't imagine you like OKW either.

I own at SSR and I do like it. It is in the process of getting an additional feature pool, to add to the feature pool and semi-feature pool (both with pool bars). I happen to like the room decor. The only thing I think it needs is a flat screen TV. My room has always been in very good condition, unlike when I stayed at OKW. OKW is getting renovated and in my opinion, the rooms really needed it.

I know people keep saying "buy where you want to stay", but if you are looking to to book larger accommodations such as 1 or 2 bdrm, I've had many choices from which to pick at the 7 month mark, traveling at popular times like Food and Wine and the week before Christmas. I will say, we don't usually stay longer than 6 nights.

Toodle
06-10-2010, 11:28 PM
We don't own there but we have stayed there and we really liked it. For one thing, it is quiet and calm - much more like a resort and less like a hotel. We usually stay in a one bedroom which would be perfect for someone with little children for napping and sleeping.

MinnieMommie
06-11-2010, 07:48 AM
We own at SSR and BLT and we love both. There are trips when our kids request to stay at SSR. They love the pool areas and being so close to DD. BLT is a favorite for our family because we have so many fond memories from staying at CR and when we have a park based stay it is so convenient. However we love SSR for other reasons.

When I am SSR I feel as if I have a park vacation and a sort of country club/resort experience. SSR is peaceful and quiet and offers so much to do right there. The golf course is magnificent and their spa is considered the best on property by many. They have a very active community room and the main pool has many activities as well.

There is no food court but a CS and TS venue both of which offer good tasting food and are relaxed and informal. The Turf Club which is the T S venue is great with kids and accommodating with special requests.

Depending on where we stay at SSR we either walk or take the boat to DD. It is so convenient. If you want to pm me with questions I can give you more details. We have stayed at SSR many times (and have stayed at most of the DVC properties). :mickey:

Terk24
06-11-2010, 02:33 PM
We love the convenience of Saratoga as far as things to do. A zero entry pool the kids love, a short walk to Downtown Disney for a mal or a stroll. It is very spread out, but it feels mre like a cond environment then a hotel. They do have a small quick service counter. We are staying there in July!

btown
06-11-2010, 02:41 PM
I stayed at SSR once in 2007 for our first DVC member visit. I remembered I liked it, was big, very resorty and we stayed in 1bdr. (It was our last family trip as I knew my husband was moving out when we got home, LOL now I cna, not then anyway) So I don't remember much! Anyway, after that I have taken my boys to Beach Club (Studio) in 2008 and this June going to AK Kidanni (1 bdr). Both visits I had to wait list to get exactly what I wanted but it came thru. I travel peak times (summer) so I have to say I am lucky. I know after staying in AK w/ 1 bdr and 2 baths will spoil me and I may never want to go lower than that again.

I think Saratoga is a good choice. However AK was always my favorite and if available when we bought it, I might have chosen that as my home. (Just to be easier to get my fav place as my first choice at 11 months)

Best wishes to you!

Snickerdoodle
06-11-2010, 03:02 PM
We own at Saratoga Springs and it's a great place to stay. It's nice, quiet and downtown disney is within walking distance. The food is good and our rooms have always been great.:thumbsup:

PS1211
06-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the input, both positive and negative! I'm sure it's a great place (where on property isn't?) and the prices are great for a DVC purchase...I just wanted to get a few opinions before I made any decisions. :)

Donald A
06-11-2010, 07:50 PM
SSR has the cheapest dues per point I believe as well.

phlo8810
06-11-2010, 10:36 PM
We stayed there once and will not be going back. We found that it was too big and too much of a hassell to get around. Based on my experience with our kids (5 & 3) we love staying at the boardwalk, beach club etc. We bought at Bay Lake for one reason conveinence. While we have not stayed there yet there is nothing better than knowing you are a walk or monorail away from "home". That is why we love the epcot resorts sooo much. We can walk back from Epcot and The studios and take the monorail back from MK. When the kids are cranky and tired it is so nice not to have to take a bus home. If one of us or the kids needs a break we just run on back to the hotel and chill out. I would reccomend BLT for your home resort if it's not sold out. Plus the kids will love the view and proximity to MK and if you buy now you'll get the full 50 years unlike at SSR. Plus you can stay anywhere you want anyway so go for the more years.

Plex
06-12-2010, 11:31 AM
I haven't stayed there, but considering that your home resort only determines your annual dues and lets you book an additional 4 months in advance, I'm not sure it really matters.

I'm about to submit my closing documents and payment for 160pts at SSR, so I'd say go for it if you can find a good deal! :thumbsup:

It seems like SSR is the best value right now. From what I've seen in resales it looks like you have the lowest price per point per year with SSR right now. (total cost divided by years owned, plus annual dues) That's only for ownerships 160 points and less, however. I think it varies depending on how many points you buy.

Hope that helps!

Tinkermom
06-14-2010, 08:47 AM
We own at SSR (and Vero Beach). Don't forget that SSR also has the 3 bedroom Treehouse villas! These are the same number of points as a 2 bedroom!

We just stayed in a Treehouse in March and LOVED it! Many of them are right on the canal and they all have a huge deck. Such a beautiful setting. If anyone would like to see photos of the Treehouse just PM me.

We enjoy SSR as well and my kids have also requested to stay there. They love the pool and the Counter Service is one of the best around!

DVCDisneyMom
06-14-2010, 12:09 PM
We own at SSR and really love it!! It is a quiet escape from the hustle and bustle of other resorts. I've stayed there both with my kids and without and have enjoyed both! My kids love the pools (quiet and feature), the arcade, drawing in the QS restaurant, and watching the golfers. At the current price, this DVC ownership is a no-brainer!!!

dixielandings
06-23-2010, 06:15 PM
Having stayed at a number of location on property, the only truly negative thing I can say about SSR is the location. I absolutle LOVE the Epcot area and I wish SSR were located there.

Everything else about our experiences at SSR have been very positive, much like the PP's positive comments. True, it's not as exotic as AKL (which DH and I also LOVE) or as flashy (and next door to MK) as BLT but it's lovely, sprawling, and quiet. I think the grounds are beautiful and make for nice strolling (you will do a lot of walking at SSR).

You do have to be prepared to make use of the WDW bus system, which sometimes involves waiting, unless you plan to rent a car every time you visit. Proximity is just the same in DVC world as it is in regular Disney resort world - the closer to the Parks you are, the more you pay.

GAN
06-27-2010, 07:52 AM
Regarding transportation -I've stayed at SSR twice and never waited more than 15/20 mins. Plus, you have the advantage of using the stop at Downtown Disney(5min walk) to access ANY place on property. We've also stayed at BWV twice and AKV once -transportation was decent at best and poor a few days(+30min waits). Used the cabs at both resorts -never needed a cab at SSR.