PDA

View Full Version : Dark Rides and young children

andrew&ryansmommy
06-10-2010, 08:35 PM
We have recently been talking to my son ( will be 3 at end of July) about going to Disney and he tells us he doesnt want to go on the dark rides (specifically Nemo) bc they are too dark and scary. We went last year when he was only 18 months old, and he was scared of Peter Pan, Snow White, and Nemo- not to the point of screaming, but frightened. He told us he needs a flashlight bc it is dark...sooo, I was wondering, would it be OK if I bought a small flashlight, like for a keychain maybe, and maybe hooked it to a beltloop on his pants that he could "use" on the rides? I dont forsee it being a problem since it would be small, but what do others think?

MuchLovedMama
06-10-2010, 08:47 PM
I dont' know about flashlights but what about glow in the dark necklaces? You know those things that you snap to activate? Maybe he could think it was like a protective shield also.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-10-2010, 09:20 PM
I've brought little tiny flashlights for my nephew. You just make sure they are aimed at the floor so as not to disturb anyone else. I even gave it to a couple with a young child who had just arrived the day we left. They do come in handy!

TinkerbellsMom
06-10-2010, 09:20 PM
You should be fine with the flashlight.

When DD was younger, we used to attach a pocket flashlight to her belt loops and told her she could put it on whenever she was scared with the understanding that she could only flash the light on the ground or in front of her and not flash it on anything that would bother other visitors.

The flashlight really made a huge differerence and made our visits more enjoyable as she went on rides that she would not have considered, if she didn't have her safety light.

Dizneydreamin'
06-10-2010, 09:30 PM
We brought glow sticks from Target (I think 12 sticks for $1). They have connectors so you can make bracelets or necklaces. We used them at night for the parades and as nightlights in the room. We also passed them out to other children we saw. The kids loved them!!!:thumbsup:

Fastpasssteve
06-11-2010, 02:05 AM
If you must, I think the glowsticks would be the best option. I think, now that he's older, the dark rides would be a very different experience for him. This is also a teaching opportunity for you, the parents, to frame this in a positive light. Children often reflect the fear of the parents. They watch the way their parents react to everything. This is an opportunity to help him through something that he USED to be afraid of. In the end, he will come through it, deeply enjoying himself, wondering to himself why he used to be so afraid.

It is the very nature of stories like Peter Pan and Snow White to see bad people, and dark places with shadows and know that, in the end, good will win and light will vanquish the darkness. These stories are an allegory for the trials we all face as adults...only in this setting, he has his parents right beside him, encouraging and comforting him...and that is a very good way to see the world.

RBrooksC
06-11-2010, 07:38 AM
"Children often reflect the fear of the parents. They watch the way their parents react to everything."

I totally agree with this. I always stay an even-keel with my children and I make them do things that scare them.

My son loves having the hall light on when he goes to bed. I hate it. So, I tell him when I go to bed, it goes off even if he is awake. And hems and haws, cry and begs until I tell him he has no choice and then he replies, "ok." He then goes to sleep without issue.

So, if need be, I would suggest nothing more than a glow stick or necklace. Also, maybe have him wear clothes the glow in the blacklights.

This would be enough distraction that the child would forget about being scared and enjoy watching himself glow.

crltkcagle
06-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Thats exactly what we do and its the only way we can get my 7 year old to go on Pirates and Haunted Mansion. We purchased a few packs before our trip. Walmart also sells those light up toys that spin for like 3 bucks. Theres no Disney Character on them but it works for my kids. They only care about the lighting up part anyway.

We brought glow sticks from Target (I think 12 sticks for $1). They have connectors so you can make bracelets or necklaces. We used them at night for the parades and as nightlights in the room. We also passed them out to other children we saw. The kids loved them!!!:thumbsup:

TinkerbellsMom
06-12-2010, 07:45 AM
I'm still a fan of the flashlight as it gave my child the option to put it on when she was scared. In fact, we found that in the beginning of the trip she used it more (again to flash on the ground) and by the end of the trip she used it much less. It ended up being more like a security blanket, she had it with her if she needed it.

andrew&ryansmommy
06-12-2010, 09:50 PM
Thank you for the replies! I do agree that children often reflect the fear of their parents, but we have said nothing but good things, and that we will sit with him and hold his hand if he's scared. I also do not think a 3 year old being scared of the dark is that crazy of an idea. Knowing ahead of time, and having something that will comfort him, I think will make it a better experience. I do not feel comfortable "making him do things that scare him."

minnie-mouse
06-13-2010, 07:49 AM
Yes, use the flashlights. We have DD4 and DD6 and just went to WDW. They too were frightened of Peter Pan and Pooh Bear ride was very dark!! A flashlight will not disturb other riders and will make your son feel secure. Also, before going on our trip, we showed our DDS some videos of the inside of rides on youtube and that helped them understand what to expect on each ride so they were not surprised or scared.

MarknTara
06-14-2010, 05:41 AM
Thank you for the replies! I do agree that children often reflect the fear of their parents, but we have said nothing but good things, and that we will sit with him and hold his hand if he's scared. I also do not think a 3 year old being scared of the dark is that crazy of an idea. Knowing ahead of time, and having something that will comfort him, I think will make it a better experience. I do not feel comfortable "making him do things that scare him."

I agree. Though I understand that it is important to face your fears, I do not think that you should try to make a little boy terrified of disney! I remember when I was younger, this type of thing scared me because I had no control over when it was dark or not, and what things came out of the dark. Giving him the light will help him feel like he has some control and shouldn't disturb anybody else. Go for it!:mickey: