PDA

View Full Version : Not staying at your home resort

PS1211
06-09-2010, 09:22 PM
Hi, all!
We're thinking about buying a DVC time share, and I have a question. Right now, we have a three year old and one on the way. I love the Contemporary (and staying on the monorail line) but I'm thinking that the BCV will be a better fit as the kids get older.

If we were to buy BVC as our home resort, how hard is it to book a different resort for a stay in a given year? Is it realistic to think we'd be able to get BLT one year as opposed to staying at BCV (home resort)? We'd primarily be traveling in late august.
Thanks!

DizneyRox
06-10-2010, 06:54 AM
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to trade out to another DVC resort, and in fact, I've neer had a problem. But, understand that it's getting tougher and tougher and may not happen exactly when you want to. If you're fine with BC being a "fallback" for when you can't get another resort, then you'll be fine. If you absolutely cannot stay at BCV and would rather not go on vacation if you hae to stay there, then I wouldn't buy there.

What you'll want to do is book at your home resort at 11 months out and then at 7 months, see if you can swap in to a different resort. The key is to have your home resort locked in at 11 months, otherwise you stand a chance of not getting either and possibly haing to stay somewhere you don't want to (in my case SSR).

Two extremes, but its always nice to hae expectations. With Disney, I've found that it's better to set the bar lower so as to not be disappointed.

azcavalier
06-10-2010, 09:00 AM
We own membership at OKW, and we've actually never stayed there. The only problem we've ever had is that this last time we actually wanted BLT or VWL, but we booked at OKW first and put in a wait list request for 1. BLT, and 2. VWL. We did get the VWL, but had really wanted BLT. Oh well! VWL was really nice, too.

PS1211
06-10-2010, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the input! We're still doing our research as to whether or not we're going to buy, but this helps!

diz_girl
06-10-2010, 10:11 AM
If you'll mostly be traveling in late August, then you might have a decent shot at getting BLT. You probably wouldn't get a studio, since the studios and the Grand Villas go first, but probably a 1 or 2 br unit. You'll have a good shot at BLT or VWL during times of the year with low crowds (September, January, late August, early May), but don't get your heart set on it during more crowded times of the year.

Also, if you you wind up buying at BCV and want to go in October or early November, then book as early as you can, since the F&WF at EPCOT is very popular, as are the BCVs nearby. If you book when there are fewer than 7 months to your vacation dates, you probably won't get in, even though it is your home resort.

PlutoPlanet
06-10-2010, 12:05 PM
We always go to Disney late in Aug. We've done it for about 8 year. We own at SSR and stay at BWV. We've never had a problem getting a room at BWV or AKL in late Aug. We do book 7 months in advance just to be careful.