PDA

View Full Version : Song of the South

antngoof89
06-09-2010, 05:06 PM
So I just watched Song of the South on youtube and can't see anything wrong with it. It seemed to me that Disney truly capture the exact time period that this movie was supposed to be based on. I actually smiled throughout the entire movie and thought it was a powerful good movie. The live action was kind of dull, but the animation was beautiful, songs wonderful, and just a good movie all around I thought.

Why is this movie banned?

PrinceCharming13
06-09-2010, 06:00 PM
I agree with you totally and have asked the same question. I've never understood the reason given for it being banned.

T-Belle
06-09-2010, 07:21 PM
From what I understand Disney was a bit hesitant to release it in the USA because of the slavery issue.

DizneyRox
06-09-2010, 08:51 PM
It's not banned... Disney has chosen to not release it. Big difference...

antngoof89
06-10-2010, 01:27 AM
Why then? I mean, I understand it has some themes related to slavery but it's not bad. I've seen a terrible amount of movies that are significantly worse than this was.

In fact, a lot of anti disney sites I've seen are ridiculous. Mixed messages, racial themes, suggestive themes, etc. I don't see any of it. It's stupid that people think like that

DizneyRox
06-10-2010, 07:30 AM
Why?

I presume Disney doens't want to PR nightmare that will follow by folks that are close minded and can't get past the fact that it's a movie made in another time with a whole different set of values and morals, etc. Better safe than sorry...

You can get it on DVD without too much trouble. Not a Disney official release, but it's been available for a while, so I've got to imagine that Disney at the very least knows about it, maybe they are even involed in it's distribution. For what it is, the quality is great, very much watchable, I'd guess that unless you knew, you wouldn't even give it a second thought it wasn't "official". Heck, it's shown of TV in many other countries!

MushuGrl
06-10-2010, 09:35 AM
What has always astounded me is the fact that one of Disney's most loved songs, "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" (and OH MY GAWD that's one of my favorite Disney movie moments EVER) and one of Disney's most loved attractions, Splash Mountain, is based on a movie they won't re-release. I'm betting only children of Disney diehards know who the heck Uncle Remus is. It's just weird.

I personally (one of said Disney diehards) never saw the whole complete movie until about four years ago. As a child, I had a record with the stories on it (remember in the olden days of the 70's when you could get those records that came with books?) so I knew of Uncle Remus, I knew the Briars, I knew the stories, I knew the songs, but had never seen the movie before. A friend of mine had purchased a laserdisc from Japan, and send it to me to watch. Was a way cool moment as it was something my mom used to see in theaters every year when she was a child, so we had us a belated mother-daughter bonding experience over "Song of the South".