PDA

View Full Version : Mission Space

beckylovestink
06-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Hi everyone! I am heading to WDW in Sept. with my family. I always wanted to try Mission Space but I have been hearing mixed review.
My kids and I love rides...roller coasters, tea cups, tilt a whirl...but I have been told by sooo many people that mission space made them so sick it ruined their day.
I think we would like it...but I am scared to try. I am asking if you have ridden it, which version, and what it compares to. I am hoping it is something that we should try!
THANKS!:confused::ack:

HackLaSalle
06-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Try doing the Green Team vs the Orange team first.

While I enjoyed the ride it definitely knocked me down a few pegs for ten or so minutes.

If your kids dont get enough thrills from the Green team let em try the Orange.

From my understanding even the Orange team is much tamer than it used to be.

PETE FROM NYC
06-09-2010, 04:31 PM
I will not do coasters, hate the drop.
That said, I do enjoy Mission space.
Its very hare to describe. But I say first try the cowards side, then the full strength side.

Plex
06-09-2010, 04:46 PM
I really don't think it's that bad. If you're claustrophobic or have trouble with spinning rides it might be one to skip. I think the scariness is a bit over-hyped for this ride. If claustrophobia isn't an issue and you're really concerned, go with the tame version first, and if you're comfortable with it go again on the side that spins. It's a pretty brief ride, so even if you have a problem on it the ride will be over soon after. Worst case scenario you won't feel well for a few minutes afterward unless you're really bad with rides that spin.

Just remember - keep your eyes on the screen. It will mess up just about anyone if you look away!

MuchLovedMama
06-09-2010, 05:14 PM
We rode this 2 years ago. Me, DH, DD & DS. Kids were 5 & 7 at the time and we were all fine. We like the intense rides though. None of us felt sick at all but if I'm to be honest I can't remember anything about the ride becuase I was paranoid that my son would have a seizure. I had my eyes glued to him the whole time because he'd had 2 seizures in the past and a child did have a seizure and died on that ride in the past so I was scared to death. Luckily we were all fine. I can't wait to try it again this September and truly enjoy it this time.

I agree with another poster though that you should try the less intense one first and see how it goes.

TikiLounger
06-09-2010, 05:52 PM
My husband can NOT do Mission Space, but my kids and I love it. We ride it over and over again. Actually, my son and I feel better after we ride. Strange, but true. Oh yeah...we do the Orange Team (the more intense team).

PrinceCharming13
06-09-2010, 06:06 PM
If you truly like all types of rides..
....JUST DO IT!!!

PrinceCharming13
06-09-2010, 06:10 PM
And I meant that in a motivational Nike or Gatorade way.....

Love of Disney
06-09-2010, 06:18 PM
I LOVE thrill rides, but honestly the Orange side did make me feel rather sick. After the ride was over, things were okay though. I think it's a personal thing. I didn't in a million years think it would bother me, but it did. Whereas, my husband who doesn't really like rides, loved the Orange side.
Good luck!
:cool:

IamBelle
06-09-2010, 06:34 PM
I tried mission space for the first time in april and LOVED it!! I was always afraid to go, an was going to pass on it again when all of my friends decided they wanted to try it...so I went for it. We went on the full strength. At first...we were very intimidated, but we decided to try it...and loved it. After the ride, I was a little dizzy, but not too bad.
Have fun! :mickey:

eeyorepoohfan
06-09-2010, 06:58 PM
:mickey:You'll never know until you try it! My DH and I rode it for the first time in December. We did the more intense side. My DH felt fine after the ride. I, on the other hand, just felt off. I felt fine on the ride itself though. I normally don't have any trouble with rides either! But we think that it may have been due to the fact that it was our first day at the parks, lack of sleep, and I wasn't feeling 100% to start with that day. We are hoping to go again this December. I will give it another try. Though this time I think we will ride the mild side first to see how I feel. And if all goes well, we'll tackle the more intense side again! I think everyone responds differently to all rides. Give it a shot! It is a fun ride to experience at least once! :thumbsup:

EeyoresBestFriend
06-09-2010, 07:09 PM
My recommendation would be green side first and if you are willing to try the orange, do it towards the end of the day ~ that way if you have any adverse effects, it doesn't ruin your whole day.

I rode it before they had the two 'teams' and I have never had any problems on any ride ever, but this one threw me out of commission for about 4 days and I don't even want to think of that first couple of hours after the ride. Everything was spinning :sick:

I have since rode the green and had no problems ~ but I still don't like it.

forever a child
06-09-2010, 07:30 PM
I get motion sick on Space Mountain (it's too jerky for me). I thought I would have a hard time on Mission Space so we only did the Green and I had NO problems. I took Bonine pills and ginger capsules throughout our week. I was fine all week and want to try Orange on our next trip, we would have this trip but ran out of time. If you have issues with close spaces then I would not recommend MS.

Fastpasssteve
06-10-2010, 12:22 AM
If you can ride a tilt-a-whirl and teacups, you should have no problem. The G-forces as you "leave earth's gravity" is so cool.

Now, obviously, there are a few basic rules:
Don't ride it if you've just had a huge meal.
I've found riding Mission Space is a lot like martini's: One isn't enough, two is great, and three is too much.

Have a great trip!

ILoveLegos
06-10-2010, 01:20 AM
Mission Space like most airplanes, comes equipped with barf bags. I haven't lost my lunch on either, but I do try to remember that the equipment is there just in case. :ack:

The way that Disney advises you to keep you head back (against the chair) eyes open and fixed on the screen in front of you imitates the same technique that figure-skaters use to keep from getting dizzy in spins and spirals. It works, pretty well. :mickey:

Unfortunately, it is human nature to close our eyes when things don't feel right or look at a ride companion for reassurance. Often that's the moment that your eyes tell your brain that the illusion of space flight "ain't so" and the reality is you are spinning - fast. Which unfortunately can cause some problems if you're prone to motion sickness. :sick:

That said, it's the only ride in Disney where I've seen guests lying on the pavement outside after riding it and have heard cast members asking guests if they need medical assistance. Most recently, with some friends that I was playing tour guide for in WDW (aged 8, 12, 34 and 50). It was a scary 15 minutes for me waiting to see if they'd all be ok. :( Everyone got over the woozies but they were not 100% all day.

As with any ride the posted warnings and advice should be taken seriously - there have been a number of tragic consuquences, of course. But remember that countless hundreds of thousands have ridden without incident. :thumbsup:

That said, I'll alway recommend the tamer green side to newbies first from now on - but ultimately - it's their decision. :blush: BTW - the feeling of pulling those G's on "bast off" on the orange team is really cool. :cool:

P.S. - I'd compare it to the carnival rides where the floor drops and you stick to the wall or the simular one that tilts as you stick to the wall - only its a lot more sophisicated with a plot-line and such.

forever a child
06-10-2010, 06:41 AM
P.S. - I'd compare it to the carnival rides where the floor drops and you stick to the wall or the simular one that tilts as you stick to the wall - only its a lot more sophisicated with a plot-line and such.

I forgot about those! The Graviton! They were cool! I miss that ride now :(

5togetherWDW
06-10-2010, 08:37 AM
I rode Mission Space first in the preview / soft opening time. At that point, it was intense!!! I like spinning rides and had no nausea - even then (though in the intial times it sure made my jaw hurt -- I could just see my face warping like Woody's when he was strapped to the roket.) In any case, the "problem" with the ride for my children - remains on both sides / teams They build a tension / fear while in line -- the lighting and warnings have you on edge. Then you are put in a confined space and are told that it is up to you to do the job right - or else. While the attention to detail and theming are what makes Disney special. If you take things literally and are a worrier, as mine are / do -- this emmotional build up is far harder than any spinning. I've done both sides and have been fine - but if you are already nervous, surely try the easier side first / and (if you don't mind spoilers) watch the clips on youtube or the like.

PopPhan
06-10-2010, 09:27 AM
I have ridden both sides of Mission: Space and can say that if you have problems with spinning (harder and faster than the Tea Cups!! LOL) then you should try the Orange (or non-spinning side)

BUT TRY IT!! You never know, you might just like it!

First time I rode was in soft-opening -- it seems like it had been much faster then. I couldn't really feel the spin, just the G forces generated. Since then, it seems like I can feel the actual spinning more. I actually liked it best the first time!!

MushuGrl
06-10-2010, 09:45 AM
If you have trouble with motion sickness, be sure to take something before you go on EITHER ride. I've never done Orange Team, only Green, but there are still some parts in Green that make me queasy. (But so do parts of Soarin, Philharmagic, and Small World if I get stuck in there... :D )

It's weird because my brother, the Roller Coaster MAN, Mr. Tower of Terror Twice In a ROW, got knocked on his tail after MS Orange. My sister, who considers Journey Into The Imagination with Figment a thrill ride, bopped right off MS Orange with NO problem.

LauraByTheSea
06-10-2010, 10:30 AM
I would love to try the Orange side, but I don't think I trust my body. I have a family history of heart probs and take bp meds, so I don't think I want to test it. I'm not scared in the least and I love coasters, etc, but I still don't want to be the person that the EMT's are waiting for at the end of the ride! Now DH on the other hand, can't WAIT to go on it again...

Figment52
06-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Neither DD or I found it to be scary. I think for first timers all of the signs in the line can be a bit daunting, but they have to post them for legal reasons.

Having said that, though, DD can't handle the full strength side. I was completely fine, but she has problems with spinning rides, and didn't feel quite right the rest of the day afterwards. Not falling down sick or anything, just a bit of a headache and slightly nausous. And this is someone who LOVES roller coasters and other thrill rides. She could happily ride ToT or EE all day long, but put her in a gravitron or those octopus arm spinning rides (midway fair rides), and it's :sick: city.

If someone is clausterphobic, though, I would say STAY AWAY. There is literally no room to move once you're strapped in.

DizneyRox
06-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Mission Space is probably the most intense ride on Disney Property by a long shot. The warnings are there for a reason! I enjoy most thrill rides, so I figured MS would be really cool. After the first ride, I felt OK. The second time through I still felt OK, but things were a little off. After the third, that was enough (thankfully there was nobody else I had to go with).

By a little off I mean, I felt OK, but I was a little light headed. The third ride I was done with rides for the night. Anything else and it could have ended bad for the janitorial staff.

This was before Mission Space Lite. I've since gone on MS Lite and it is very different than the full monty version. It's still a great experience, but it's really nothing like the original. The original is definitely worth checking out if you can hack it, but I would start with the lite version for sure.

I'll check out the original again one of thses days, but it's not a ride that I need to go on each time I visit. . That's the problem with MS. It's too good/real for it's own good. Not that I know what it's like to launch into space, but if it's anything like MS then a lot of people aren't ready for space travel yet.

Scott C
06-10-2010, 01:07 PM
It put me out for 36 hours -- after I redecorated the bathroom at Electric Umbrella

Thanks
Scott C

RBrooksC
06-10-2010, 02:31 PM
I have ridden this ride three times. And each time, I loved it and I do get motion sick.

Not so bad that it ruined my day, but enough that I had to sit down and have a drink. Usually we toured Innoventions after I sat down for a little while.

HoosierDisneyFan
06-10-2010, 04:16 PM
When I went on Mission Space for the first time my DS who was 8 years old. He is naturally tentative about new things and did not want to go on the ride after seeing a commercial. I knew that he would love it based on prior experiences so I "talked him into it" after some encouragement. We did the more intense side (were there 2 versions then, not sure??). Well he loved it and wanted to go get back in line for Round Two. I, on the other hand, was nearly ready to "loose my lunch". Luckily I was able to suggest we ride Test Track first before returning... I have ridden many times but never twice in a row. If you have trouble with spinning rides I would opt for the less intense version.

CU Tiger
06-10-2010, 08:08 PM
For the many times we have been to DW and the variety of people we have gone with ranging from 5 to 75 that have rode mission space, no one in our group has ever gotten sick. If this type of ride make you feel bad, this one will. If not, it is worth the try in my opinion.:mickey:

SAHDad
06-11-2010, 07:48 AM
If you can ride a tilt-a-whirl and teacups, you should have no problem. The G-forces as you "leave earth's gravity" is so cool.

Now, obviously, there are a few basic rules:
Don't ride it if you've just had a huge meal.
I've found riding Mission Space is a lot like martini's: One isn't enough, two is great, and three is too much.

Have a great trip!

Those are more like guidelines, really. :D

It really comes down to how well you handle spinning. If the teacups bother you only because they don't go fast enough, then the Orange version of the ride probably won't be a problem. If looking at the teacups makes you dizzy, then skip the ride.

(FWIW, the last time I got the chance to ride it, it was after cruising around the Food & Wine festival for a while. I was rather full, of both good food and various libations, but three quick rides of the Orange didn't bother me in the slightest. But I had ridden it in rapid succession on previous trips, so I wasn't worried about it.)

RBrooksC
06-11-2010, 12:22 PM
The teacups do make me VERY dizzy. However, if you follow the instructions to the letter the video screen will trick your mind into feeling like you are going in a straight line and not in a circle.

If you look away, you will feel what is really happening and get sick.

I feel dizzy in the same way I feel dizzy when I ride too many roller coasters in a row.

Kaps
06-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Myself and my kids were OK but my FIL was sick for a few hours? :ill: Depends on the person

SorcererJim
06-11-2010, 10:23 PM
When I first went on MS, was back when, before the Green Team was there... it was intense but exhilarating... but afterwards, I just had that "off" feeling people have described... it went away after about an hour... as someone has already said... the trick is to keep your head still and eyes open at all times!!! From then on, I have been doign the green side, everytime I go back I _think_ about doing the orange side but haven't been able to grab that card... maybe this time ... maybe.. :)

kemps@wdw
06-12-2010, 11:23 PM
My 1st time on Mission Space, there was no green side, and I gotta tell you, it was tough for me, (I'm not much for the spinning stuff), and I can see why there was :ack: bags onboard! but DH and DD LOVED it! Although, DH did admit later on, that he felt a little nauseated for awhile afterwards! But, now, I'm all about the green side, and can' wait to get back "in space" in October.

Darbylew
06-12-2010, 11:40 PM
I have been on MS one time on the less intense
side and that was enough intense for me. I did
not like it so I have only been on it one time.
:mickey: