PDA

View Full Version : Our May Trip Dining Review

forever a child
06-08-2010, 03:22 PM
We arrived around 7:30pm on the 19th. We were both starving by the time we checked in to the resort and DTD was our plan for the evening.

QS: Wolfgang Puck Cafe Express

DD and I split a Rotisserie Chicken, Greek Salad and Drink. We really had to wait a long while to receive this. Apparently the salad chef had taken a break and not completed our order while our chicken sat there waiting to be served. So the chicken was warm but not hot. Our server was a young girl and not really concerned and I asked her at least once how much longer it would be. Once we received our food she did apologize and said we could have a free dessert (but we had to hunt her down just to get that). Our food was great, however. I loved the mashed potatoes. Had we not been so hungry maybe it would have been "average" but we were just so happy to finally have a meal that I remember enjoying it very much:D

QS: Cosmic Rays Starlight Cafe - Dinner
I had the half Chicken with Mashed potatoes (again) and DD had the Caesar Chicken Salad. I don't think either was as good as at Wolfgang the night before but the fixings bar was nice. What I didn't care for here was that because we wanted different things...we had to go to different check out areas, which would it hard for people with young kids all wanting different things. But since DD is old enough I just gave her some cash and she went and ordered her own food.

QS - Pecos Bills - Lunch

We both really loved this place and both had BBQ sandwiches with French Fries. The BBQ was excellent and I recently had one from our local restaurant here in KY and it was not as good as Pecos Bills. We are not big on FF's but you could not get them without (or I believe you could get sliced apples as a replacement) so we got them and they were excellent as well. So I will place it on my list of one of the few places where I like FF's.

Snack- Mrs. Pott's Cupboard
DD and I got Chocolate Milkshakes. It was hot and we wanted something cold. But I was rather disappointed with the flavor of the chocolate. I will be trying a different place next time. I can't remember the name right off hand, but I remember we have gotten Ice Cream on Main street somewhere and it seemed very good.

QS - Sunshine Season Food Fair - Lunch
I loved this place and it is on my must visit again list for our next trip! I got the Beef Mongolian meal (I love Chinese) with vegetables and rice and DD had the Turkey Focaccia Wrap. Both were great and for desert we shared a Chocolate Mousse Cake. This cake was excellent and I kept looking for it for the rest of the week in other places but never found anything similar.

QS - Germany Sommerfest
Later that day it was hot and so we really just wanted a snack. I suggested trying trying a Frankfurter and Kraut. (we both really love Kraut). The "hot dog" was not really my favorite but the Kraut was good. I just don't think they give you much. I guess it is mainly to put on your dog...but I just love eating it plain. So that was not really a great choice for us. We just split one order between the two of us.

I should mention that DD and I often shared meal and do at home too. Although at home it is more like DD steals my food from my plate when I am not looking. If you know me at all from my postings...you know DD is a competitive swimmer and loves to EAT, a lot! So anyways, we split when were not really hungry. The crowds and heat often effect that for us too.

Snack - Japan Cart
Kaki Gori Cherry (Shaved Ice) This was our favorite hot day snack. We loved it and I wish it was in all four parks! Great during the heat and makes me never want to have a traditional snow cone again because it is so much better. We had another one later on in the week that was Strawberry but we both agreed that we liked the Cherry flavored better! We shared this as well, but mostly DD at it all.:D

This was the day were we decided we really needed to rest a bid and decided to go back early to the resort and skip Illuminations.

QS - Everything Pop - Dinner
We went back to Pop and got Dinner and we were both so tired that I really don't remember selections well. However, I nothing really looked that appealing to me. We decided on pasta and I got the Vegetable Lasagna with a Salad and DD had the Chicken Penne with Marinara Sauce. They both came with a bread stick. We took our food back to our room with us. At first it wasn't bad but as I started to get full the Lasagna really started getting gross. So I didn't eat but perhaps half of it. The salad was fine but you actually have to pay for dressing (which is to me was sort of funny because the salad was just a side dish that came with the meal). DD's chicken was greasy and when I asked her how it as she responded "OK" which is our little joke for when we really aren't enjoying our food and just want to be nice (cause I probably over-cooked it:blush:
Anyway, we decided we wouldn't eat anymore at POP.

TS - Garden Grill - Our first Table service for the week.
We have eaten here before and really love this place! The character interaction is wonderful and each of the characters probably came around about 5 times! I was a bit disappointed that we could not get pictures of Chip and Dale together with us, one of them shook his head "No" when I asked if we could...so it must be a policy for them.:( The food was good. The beef strips were a bit fatty but good. However, there was blood on our plates (which I love....so if you don't like your meat undercooked I would mention that to your server) The mashed potatoes were so good! I had seconds on these dished. Meanwhile DD seems to really enjoy the Turkey and she loves stuffing...she had seconds on these. Not sure of the fish type...DD hates seafood and I had a little but didn't eat much of it. I was disappointed that there weren't a lot of vegatables...just a few hidden under the fish and they looked mostly like squash which isnt either of our favorites and DD wouldnt eat it because it was under the fish.:unsure: But we loved the fresh baked bread and the butter...well, DD saw me cleaning the container on that one! :secret: We were pretty full by desert time. I really only care for chocolate...so the strawberry/rhubarb crisp was just ok to me. DD like it but neither could eat much. I would have rather had the childrens desert of cookies and cream Icecream but forgot to ask if that was an option. Our server was very nice and kept our glasses full. I am not sure if I should have felt rushed as she kept asking...do you want me to take that away for you...like our half full bowl of salad or this or that. I just kept saying...no, we are still working on it! We were only going to have a few TS meals this trip and I wasn't going to be rushed with my meal:thumbsup: She stopped asking after a bit...so that was fine.

QS - Studio Caatering Co.
DD had Chicken Caesar Wrap w/French Fries and I had the Greek Salad with Chocolate Cake for desert. DHS really doesn't have any great places that stand out to me for meals. So this was ok but not anything special. It was very hot this day and it was during SWW so it was busy so I will say they got meals served quickly despite the crowds.

Cont'd below

forever a child
06-08-2010, 03:23 PM
TS - Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater - Dinner (Walk -In)
DD had really been wanting to try this place. I really didn't care if we ever tried here or not. But we were getting hungry and happened to be by it. So I asked DD if she wanted me to see if they could take us as a walk in. So when I checked they said yes it would be a 20 minute wait but I really think it was only about 10-15 minutes. Since we had never eaten there it was weird to go into this dark serving area with all of the "cars" and the theater screen. We were seating in the 3rd seat behind a family and four and I felt it was a bit weird how we were referred to as hitch hikers and speeding and tickets and such. But our server was really good. DD got the Chicken Brushetta Sandwich with (of course..more Fries) and a Chocolate shake. I got an order of Onion Rings and a Vanilla Coke. When I saw how big the serving of OR's was I was so glad I didn't order anything else. And our server, assumed we were sharing so he had cut DD's Sandwich in half and gave us two Dinner plates with what was assumably half the order of fries on each and half of the sandwich on each. Well, it looked like a FULL order of fries each to me and I only tried one. I LOVED that I was stealing DD's sandwich since it is usually the other way around! :fresh: So I ate about half of my half and then gave the rest to her! LOL But we shared the Onion rings:cloud9: They were some of the BEST! DD's shake was so much better than the one's we had had earlier in the week at Mrs. Potts Cupboard. But it was so thick it took a bit of time to drink. I had ordered a Vanilla coke, which I love but server had brought me a regular. So when I asked him he brought be another one that was Vanilla and I gave DD my regular coke. Later on when he noticed we were half way through our drinks he brought us each another new glass...so we had 5 glasses of drinks on those tiny little table, LOL. I checked the bill later and he only charge me for 1 coke. So really, I have to admit that though I really could care less about the Drive-In Theming, I thought it was a great place to go to share large portioned meals. I loved the shake and Onion rings and that alone would be enough of a reason for me to return. The other thing that was GREAT about this place is that ALL the kids were quiet because they were all watching the movie screen!!! I never saw anything there worth watching..but hey, no loud kid in an air-conditioned building is a bonus in my book!:thumbsup:

QS - Flame Tree BBQ - Lunch
We have eaten here I believe every trip and love it. We always get the same meal of the BBQ half Chicken each (no meal sharing here for me!) I want to try the ribs but never seem to. It is great and I love all the little cubby hiding places you can find to sit down and eat. My suggest and keep moving back behind the building by the lake. So many people just sit by the visible front seating but the there is a great view of the lake and it is always shaded and there are condiment stations all the way down there too!

TS - Rainforest Cafe @ AK - Dinner Walk In
We had a big lunch of BBQ and we would be having "Snacks" later that evening at the Contemporary Resort with the Pirates and Pal's Voyage...so we decided to try our luck with another Walk in at RFC. We agreed to get appetizers to share. We only had about an hour before we needed to head to the Contemporary so we told our serve our plans and she was great. We got the Pita Quesadilla which was filled with cheese and chicken and they were great! Our server was very nice and we got out and headed over to P&P's!

Snacks - Pirates and Pals at the Contemporary Resort. They provided prepackaged snacks of small bags of Cotton Candy, Brownies, Cookies, Granola Bars, Apples, Bananas, Pretzels and Chips, "Gold" Coin chocolate candy which we discovered with mint chocolate and very good! The also provided Coffee and Tea, Canned Sodas, and Bottled water. There is plenty and you can take extra with you for the boat ride or later. I loved the brownies!

Our last Day:(

We had reservations later that evening for Boma's.

QS - Pinocchios
We split (another) Caesar Salad with Chicken for lunch because we didn't want to get too full later for our dinner at Boma's. It was fine, nothing special but we went up to the second floor and out to the little balcony overlooking Fantasy land and enjoyed people watching from above:secret:

It rained a bit at MK that Day and DD and I were having a blast! We didn't want to leave the park so we went to guest relations to see about reservations. Of course CP was booked and they even said Tony's was...but suggested we walk over to Tony's anyways. The gentleman kept saying "Are you sure you want to cancel your reservation at Bomas?" We said go ahead and cancel, we would just do QS if we had too because we were having a blast!

TS - Tony's (Walk In)
So we went to Tony's (it was 3:30) and the woman out front said they could take us but they didn't start seating for Dinner until for so to return. We did a little after 4 and got seated right way even though there was beginning to be a group of people building up to wait to be seated. (Being a party of two has it's advantages!)
The hostess was going to seat us in the dark dining area, when I asked to be seated in the sun room she went back to check and then moved us out there..but by the doorway. There was only one other party at a table out there and I asked, can't we be seated by the window? She seemed a bit frustrated with me at this point but when again back to check and then finally moved us in the corner by the window!:D I love light and this is a beautiful area to eat and people watch!
DD ordered the NY Strip Steak and a Rootbeer, I got the Spaghetti with meatballs. Our actually server, a guy named Paul should have worked at the Haunted Mansion. He smiled about like they do and his attention to as was as cordial. I was not really impressed with him. He would barely get to the table asking if we needed anything and step away like practically before I could respond. I HAD to ask for drink refills (unlike at Sci Fi where our glasses were still half full and we had another brought to us). My Pasta was ok, not great-just ok. But DD's steak was very good. I wished I had ordered it too! The vegetables were too few. She had potato skins with her stake and she loved both!

Snack - Main Street Bakery
Chocolate Chip Brownie for DD and of course, Chocolate Cake for me! Both were great and we took those back to our room on our way out of the park!

My Tips - We brought 2 bottled water bottles with us every day and two/3 bottles of Dr. Pepper with us. We ALWAY's asked for a cup of Ice at every QS and they never refused us.

We ate Breakfast in our room every morning before we left for the parks.

Thanks for Reading!:mickey:

Jared
06-08-2010, 03:32 PM
Thanks so much for taking the time to write such detailed reviews. Sounds like you had a wonderful Disney dining experience, and you hit a bunch of nice places.

I enjoyed reading your posts!

Ropachs
06-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Great review and tips, thanks!

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the reviews

jillluvsdisney
06-08-2010, 06:51 PM
I love Sunshine Seasons at Epcot.