PDA

View Full Version : Disney Magic Quickly Disappears Off-Property

SingingLights
06-08-2010, 10:55 AM
We are headed to WDW THIS FRIDAY :yay: and this past weekend we had dinner with the friends we are going with. We were going over our plans with them and were talking about our return flight, it reminded us of our last trip. We went to WDW this past Christmas with my wife's whole family (21 of us) and had a great time. When we arrived at the Orlando airport for our return flight we got in the longest security line I have ever seen. The travelers in line were tense about making their flights, the children were tired and crying, and the TSA employees were short and bad-tempered. I turned to my DW and said, "We're not in Disney any more."

It is such a pleasant atmoshere at WDW, we get spoiled while we are there. I try to take some of that Disney attitude home with me each time. It lasts until I can get my next fix :blush: which is THIS FRIDAY. (Did I mention that?):secret:

johnO
06-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Disney Magic Quickly Disappears Off-Property

You can say that again.........

retiredfigment
06-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Agreed, agreed. Some people post about occasional 'un-disney' moments at DW, but it is not like the outside world where rudeness and ill temper encroaches every minute. (PS my daughter thinks I should change my screen name to Pollyana.)

wildernesslady
06-08-2010, 11:22 AM
There is no place like Disney. Have a great vacation with your friends.

SingingLights
06-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Agreed, agreed. Some people post about occasional 'un-disney' moments at DW, but it is not like the outside world where rudeness and ill temper encroaches every minute. (PS my daughter thinks I should change my screen name to Pollyana.)

I think "the outside world" could use some more Pollyana's.

Disney Day Dreamer
06-08-2010, 12:45 PM
Agreed, agreed. Some people post about occasional 'un-disney' moments at DW, but it is not like the outside world where rudeness and ill temper encroaches every minute.

No kidding. People ask why I'd rather go to WDW than any other place on earth, and I find it hard to describe becuase non-Disney terms just can't cover how perfect Disney is. The CMs are so nice and you really don't have any worries or cares to deal with.

PETE FROM NYC
06-08-2010, 12:45 PM
After 12 trips flying, last September we chose to try a driving vacation. Especially now that we are both retired. Just getting through the airports is getting to be a super big chore, and it seems to be getting worse each year.
As long as my health allows, I will be doing the driving.

Belle_0717
06-08-2010, 01:26 PM
I am with everyone on this topic.

It seems when my plane lands in Orlando, I leave my NY attitude on the plane and head for a Pollyana-type attitude. :woohoo::But once I get on the Magical Express and :sob:cry from the resort to the airport, Ms. NY Attitude is back like it was never gone. :blowup:

Why can't we all just live in WDW and be happy every day? I know - get back to reality. I tell my nephew:prince: and I will tell my kids:baby::baby:, we have to go home to come back again. If we lived at WDW, it wouldn't be MAGIC.:pixie:

disneyfamily05
06-08-2010, 01:34 PM
I agree - especially that the real world comes back at MCO. I remember a great trip I had with my mom (her first time there) and my kids - once we hit MCO - forget it. Line to check-in and security were insane, and must admit I was in a grumpy mood too worried about my flight (which ended up being delayed for 4 hours, so it didn't matter anyway!).

KAJUNKING
06-08-2010, 01:39 PM
No kidding. People ask why I'd rather go to WDW than any other place on earth, and I find it hard to describe becuase non-Disney terms just can't cover how perfect Disney is. The CMs are so nice and you really don't have any worries or cares to deal with.

agreed, i find it hard to explain it to my friends that dont "get it"

Fastpasssteve
06-08-2010, 01:57 PM
I'm usually a little grumpy and unsocial upon returning to the Orlando Airport...the end of another trip to WDW. But this last time the Grilled Chicken Quesadilla from Qdoba really cheered me up. I wasn't expecting such good service or food in MCO!

Returning to the Northern Atlantic Seaboard (not the home of hospitality or good manners) is always a little rough after the magic.

renecat
06-08-2010, 02:01 PM
agreed, i find it hard to explain it to my friends that dont "get it"
There are people that don't get it I know a few.
I always say you either get it or you don't. We are taking a cousin with us in Oct. that has never been and I think she will be one that will get it.

SingingLights
06-08-2010, 06:43 PM
I was just reading everyone's posts to my DW and she said we should try really hard this year to bring home that magic and give it to the people around us. I thought that was great idea.:thumbsup:

Wadeace
06-08-2010, 11:25 PM
as a theater technician i always try to incorporate some form of he disney magic in every show i do.

I'm not going around and putting up Mickey ears everywhere or playing disney song, or any thing that doesn't fit into the sow that I'm working on at the moment. i do however bring the eye for detail and creativity to the table. when i work on a show i make sure every aspect of tech that doesn't absolutely need to be seen isn't, i also try to extend the theme of the show from the stage out into the audience areas.

however i think the most important thing i try to do and work to get the rest of the team to do is make it so once the audience steps foot into the theater lobby they are transported away from to reality, so that at the door all the worry and cares are left behind which helps the audience to come in and enjoy the show that much more.

this is what disney is good at and what most people forget to think about. such as the people who design and manage airports for example, the structure is obviously designed to be functional spaces where we are loaded into the plane. as such the human enjoyment factor is often lost. the exterior and parts of the interior are often meticulously looked over to be ascetically pleasing yet no one looks at how can we make it more enjoyable for the person experiencing it, the question that is often asked is ho can we get more people through the space in a shorter amount of time.

just my two cents

TikiLounger
06-09-2010, 10:22 AM
Returning to the Northern Atlantic Seaboard (not the home of hospitality or good manners) is always a little rough after the magic.

Crack me up!!! I SO agree with you. As someone who has lived in NE my entire life, I can honestly say that I know exactly what you mean. Too funny...

Dragongirlx
06-09-2010, 11:28 AM
whenever I get grumpy or angry over something silly about the real world I always try to remind myself that I would never behave like that in Disney.
Now if only we could get the whole world to adopt that Disney attitude

MushuGrl
06-10-2010, 09:39 AM
During our last trip, after watching for the millionth time Maleficent losing to the duck in front of the castle (we root for you every time, Greenie) when Mickey says "Take the dream with you wherever you may go", I thought to myself "I wish I could. I wish I could feel this magic while sitting at work being crabbed at all day."

So when I came back, I wrote that on a post-it note, and it's stuck on my computer monitor. I do get a boost of magic from it, just knowing one day I'll be in that exact same spot hearing Mickey say those words again!

c&d
06-10-2010, 10:14 AM
As DH and I like to say, "We're not in Disney any more." That first utterance is usually somewhere in the airport which makes us realize that our vacation is really over.

Figment52
06-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Crack me up!!! I SO agree with you. As someone who has lived in NE my entire life, I can honestly say that I know exactly what you mean. Too funny...

It's not just Disney either. DD was in Charleston, SC a few years ago and couldn't believe the number of people who greeted her "hello" every morning just passing in the street. Complete strangers don't chat in passing in the street here! lol. She said as soon as she landed in Philly for her layover it was like night and day difference. People don't look at you, they don't smile, and they certainly don't chat with you.

BluewaterBrad
06-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Have fun!:mickey:

SingingLights
06-11-2010, 06:47 AM
Have fun!:mickey:

Thanks. We are ready to go. I noticed your picture of Brer Rabbit, my DD11 had never seen Song of the South before this week. We watched on the internet. She loved it. She said, "Now the song on the CD (The Laughin' Place) and Splash Mountain make sense." It is a shame that the movie is not available in the USA.