PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom Early Opening: Good idea/bad idea?

BrerSchultzy
06-08-2010, 10:46 AM
So, my family is making yet another trip to the World in July. It will be trip number 20 something for most of us (but trip number 2 for my son!).

Since times are a little tough, we're not going to add the park hopper option to our tickets, saving us in the neighborhood of $200.

We were wondering if Animal Kingdom is significantly less crowded on the mornings that are NOT early opening, and should we go to AK the day before or after early opening? Any suggestions?

SBETigg
06-08-2010, 10:50 AM
My suggestion is to hit the AK on the day after an evening EMH. If you're not hopping, I would not go on an EMH day.

DizneyRox
06-08-2010, 11:13 AM
If you don't have park hopping, why not do AK on a day with an evening extra magic hours... I don't think the extra monrning hours are all that great. Well they are, but I wouldn't lock myself into the day there for only one hour.

AK really is a different park at night, worth seeing it at least once, and without hopping, you won't have the option to otherwise.

forever a child
06-08-2010, 12:00 PM
If you don't have park hopping, why not do AK on a day with an evening extra magic hours... I don't think the extra monrning hours are all that great. Well they are, but I wouldn't lock myself into the day there for only one hour.

AK really is a different park at night, worth seeing it at least once, and without hopping, you won't have the option to otherwise.

I agree with DizneyRox. Our recent trip we decided to not get the park hopping option too to save on $. We chose parks that only had even EMH. Actually, we only ever park hopped so we could see evening shows like Fantasmic more than once (and that was when they were doing them nightly). We otherwise really didn't "hop" so it was a good savings for something that we never really used much. Now we just make sure to choose nights with our show preferences in mind. It is really not so bad being "stuck" in one park. We used our FP really well and had a great time! We are planning to skip the PH option for our up and coming Dec trip, so planning parks in advance is important and matching our ADR's conveniently too.

Have fun!:mickey:

Fastpasssteve
06-08-2010, 02:01 PM
I made plans for my coming trip based on what show (fireworks) we wanted to see over the course of the week, and the EMH (evening only - we like to sleep in). That way we could avoid Park Hopping. Things worked out very well...but glad I made all my ADR's on my 180th day out.

ThanxForNoticin
06-08-2010, 06:35 PM
One thing I will say about the morning EMH at the AK - it's a bit unique with the ability to do the morning safari. The animals always seem to be most active when they first come out on safari. So we've found it to be a real treat to do the safari during the morning EMH.

acts
06-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Agreed with the comment above. Since its SOOO hot here in FL, the early morning is when the animals tend to be up and roaming about. EMH days are the only times that I go to AK, to go on the safari ride. Enjoy!

CaptSmee
06-09-2010, 08:13 PM
I don't know if it was a fluke or not, but in Jan we tried AK early entry for the 1st time & the buses from AKL where we were staying were ridiculously packed. When we got to the park however, we rode Dinosaur with noone else on the ride with us, Everrest twice with literally no wait, getting off, getting right back on and hit the safari with about a 5 min wait & saw TONS of animals. We were finishing up the safari right at regular opening time. We then went to the 1st Lion King show, had lunch and left. It was AWESOME!

sbwillie
06-09-2010, 08:59 PM
We get there at rope drop. Go straight to everest. Wife gets FP while we ride 2-3 times with virtually no wait. Do the FP. Then over to safari, not much wait (unless not all the busses running). Then to dino land for Dinosaur. take in Lion King, Finish with ribs at Flame and done by noon or alittle after. on to another park or rest at resort .

DizneyRox
06-10-2010, 07:09 AM
Just to point out, the OP doesn't have park hopping, so they won't be able to go to another park...

If you're looking to get AK over with, yes, going in the morning will get you out an hour sooner. While I do't understand the desire to fly through this beautiful park, many people do.

I suggest picking the evening EMH day to visit so that you can extend your day in the park. It usually closes earlier than the others, often before sunset and seeing AK with the lights on and the insects chirping, etc, is just fantastic. It's a totally different park at night, and without park hopping, you wo't be ale to just stop by and see what the hub bub is all about.

For many, park hopping is for AK and MGM, both 1/2 day parks by many standards, but at least with AK, you really can get a full day plus out of the park. On our upcoming trip I expect to spend about 4-5 days at AK.

PharmD
06-13-2010, 10:36 AM
I would definately say go on the day with EMH. The animals on Kilamanjaro Safaris are more active in the early morning and later in the evening. You would be surprised at how many more animals you would see. And since your not park hopping you could enjoy the park at a more leisurely pace. :thumbsup:

crltkcagle
06-13-2010, 10:39 AM
We never get park hoppers so I know exactly what you mean about saving money. We found that the EMH early hours were not really crowded. Of course I have never been in July so I am not sure how they are then. However in May we found that alot of people didn't take advantage of the EMH morning hours.

HoosierDisneyFan
06-13-2010, 01:25 PM
We get there at rope drop. Go straight to everest. Wife gets FP while we ride 2-3 times with virtually no wait. Do the FP. Then over to safari, not much wait (unless not all the busses running). Then to dino land for Dinosaur. take in Lion King, Finish with ribs at Flame and done by noon or alittle after. on to another park or rest at resort .

Wow... you have missed so much...