PDA

View Full Version : Anyone take their "last trip"?

SandmanGStefani24
06-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Well, two trips ago I took my last trip...lol.

The idea was, I was gonna go solo, enjoy it, and get it "out of my system" and move on to the next phase of my life. As you can see, it didnt take...:mickey: I've taken two since and am planning my next one as we speak.

If anything it revved up my WDW spirits and made me appreciate the World even more if that's possible...So, anyone else take their "last trip" to WDW?

forever a child
06-06-2010, 03:02 PM
I really thought that our May trip this year would be last for a while. DD is now going to be a junior in HS and we really should be focusing on visiting colleges to help her make decisions before she graduates.

But then after we went is May we had such a blast! It is way more fun to take DD as a teenager (for me) than when she was 10, 11 & 12 yrs old. So we HAD to go again!:mickey:

LauraByTheSea
06-06-2010, 03:21 PM
In 1997 when I still lived in NY I thought it was my last trip, but now I've lived in FL for 10 years, so I think my last trip is a great many years away! LOL

brownie
06-06-2010, 04:08 PM
There will always be one more trip for me!

MushuGrl
06-06-2010, 04:11 PM
We keep saying we're going to stop going to WDW and go elsewhere for vacation. However...it makes us happy, we know without a shadow of a doubt we love it there, and no matter how much we plan to go "elsewhere", we always end up right back at WDW.

Belster
06-06-2010, 04:12 PM
I can't imagine ever uttering those words.:mickey:

faline
06-06-2010, 04:14 PM
In my book, there are only "next" trips; not "last" ones!

Madame Leona
06-06-2010, 04:41 PM
This may be our "last trip" for a while. My kids are closing in on school age and I don't want to take them out of school for the value seasons. My dad once told me he wouldn't go to Disney again unless he had grandchildren. He went 5 years without going until I had one child and was pregnant with the second. Sadly, that was his last trip. He died less than a year later.

BluewaterBrad
06-06-2010, 05:22 PM
There might come a time when I feel like that, but not anytime soon!!:mickey:

Georgesgirl1
06-06-2010, 06:36 PM
My mom one time said, "This is going to be our 'last trip' for 5 years." Haha, we were back in less than three years! That is the longest I have ever been without a trip to WDW.

Ropachs
06-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Oh yes, I took my last trip in 1997 and then another last trip in 1998 and 2000. On our 2005 and 2008 trips I knew we'd be coming back many, many times. Can't wait for December 2010!

ANG
06-06-2010, 07:31 PM
In my book, there are only "next" trips; not "last" ones!

Ditto!

cinderellagrl
06-06-2010, 08:57 PM
My family decided that our december of '09 trip would be our "last" trip. We visited Hawaii in july of '09, but then had the opportunity to visit WDW later that year. Once in Disney we felt kind of disappointed (something we hadn't felt on previous trips). There wasn't that adventure of a new place, something unseen around every corner kind of feel. We have decided to try and visit other places- you know "keep exploring"? - and wait to visit disney once there are some new things to see and do!

Fastpasssteve
06-06-2010, 09:08 PM
For many years when I was growing up, I was drug on endless, cross-country family vacations from Iowa to California where relatives resided. The only bright side to these borefests was visiting Disneyland. Finally, my brother and sister left for college and these cross-country trips came to an end as I entered Jr. High. Even though I would no longer be relegated to the back seat sans A/C, the trips to Disneyland were over.

At the time, it never occurred to me that years later, I would move to the East Coast to pursue a career in music. Out here, I met many great people...including a Disneyphile. We soon organized a trip with friends to Disneyworld. Boy, was that a larger experience! We've been on several trips since, including one this last March and another this October. I can't wait.

GBBT
06-06-2010, 10:48 PM
Our "last" trip was 2007 and we'll be there in December.:cloud9::thumbsup::D

GBBT
06-06-2010, 10:50 PM
My family decided that our december of '09 trip would be our "last" trip. We visited Hawaii in july of '09, but then had the opportunity to visit WDW later that year. Once in Disney we felt kind of disappointed (something we hadn't felt on previous trips). There wasn't that adventure of a new place, something unseen around every corner kind of feel. We have decided to try and visit other places- you know "keep exploring"? - and wait to visit disney once there are some new things to see and do!

It's always an adventure every time we go because we always see things or do things we missed before!:D

SleepinB
06-07-2010, 12:27 AM
We keep saying we're going to stop going to WDW and go elsewhere for vacation. However...it makes us happy, we know without a shadow of a doubt we love it there, and no matter how much we plan to go "elsewhere", we always end up right back at WDW.

That is us. We keep saying we are going to go elsewhere for vacation. Friends and co-workers make fun of me because we go to Walt Disney World every three years. In fact my meddling boss went as far as to have a discussion with others to psychoanalyze why i love WDW and Disneyland concluding that i must not be a happy person and need outside stimulus to find happiness. :huh:

Recently, we took a trip a year ago to celebrate my wife's first year anniversary of breast cancer survival. We figured that would be our "last trip" for awhile. We had one child beginning college and felt pressured by others to take vacation elsewhere.

Well, that lasted all of one year. Through travel miles, we had an opportunity to take a vacation with "free" airfare and "free" lodging for two. We decided to use it before it expired. We discussed many places, but always came back to WDW. We had a wonderful trip and had no regrets for taking another trip to WDW. When my wife and I psychoanalyzed why we love coming to WDW she succinctly concluded that it is because there are no problems or worries.

There is always something new we have not discovered. The popularity of podcasts and discussion boards like this bring to light things we need to try or have missed before. they keep my interest peaked and my desire to return constant

We no longer kid ourselves, we know that our last trip will definely not be our "last trip". :mickey:

Posterchild
06-07-2010, 07:43 AM
Our family left the US for my job in July of 2009, and took "one last trip" before heading out. Stayed at the Poly concierge. We said it was our last trip for "quite a while". Well, now I am back to lurking on here planing our Fall 2011 trip. :D

Now trying to decide to stay top shelf again at concierge, or extend the trip really long and stay somewhere more reasonable, probably WL or a moderate, which would be POFQ of course.

Our kids are 12 & 15 now, and we know its also going to be some of our last trips with them while they are still kids.

/Cheers, JP

indytraveler
06-07-2010, 08:47 AM
We are in a different "season" of life. We had a 10 year run of getting all three kids to Disney every year. Our last trip was June '08. We have planned to try to get there this summer but it is very difficult. With DD's 16,14 and DS 10 our next trip may end up being our last as a 5 member group. We all want to go but summer sports are getting in the way. Now the kids know how lucky they had it when they were growing up so they understand what this next trip will mean to them WHEN we go.

dnickels
06-07-2010, 09:01 AM
Somewhat related -every once in awhile I'll see a complaint thread on here where someone has the usual 'service is going downhill' complaint and others chime in with their similar stories and people talk about how they're thinking of taking their money and vacation time elsewhere next year.....
....and then you look at their sig line(s) and see they've got another trip planned in 6 months.
:funny:

If they can't take a 'last trip' I don't know who can. :mickey:

MarkC
06-07-2010, 09:19 AM
I hope to never take a last trip. Our first few were going to be the last ones but as you can see by my signature line, that's a laugh. Since we've since bought into DVC, even my wife who is a homebody admits we will be going for years.

On a related note, my wife also points out that I've attended four "once in a lifetime" Paul McCartney concerts.

Snickerdoodle
06-07-2010, 09:26 AM
The thought never entered my mind :mickey:

lioness8978
06-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Last Trip... Disney...

Those words. Is it possible to use them in a sentence together like that?

:eek2:

Daddy Mouse
06-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Our 25th Anniversary trip for DW and I was last Aug. We didn't expect to get back there until late 2012. (DS and DD were planning weddings 1 year apart.) DS wedding was canceled. (blessing in disguise) With the $ that we didn't have to spend on DS wedding we decided to take another trip.

SorcererJim
06-07-2010, 10:14 PM
There was a time where I thought outloud... man, we need to take a break from Disney for a while after going for 5 years straight... another 5 years later I finally gave into the idea that there will always be trips every year, so we bought into DVC :)

AHOTE
06-08-2010, 12:13 AM
My "last trip" is always followed by my "next trip"...no exceptions, ever! Only 116 days to go :)

IloveDisney71
06-08-2010, 12:17 AM
I went in Feb and knew I wouldn't be taking another trip until 2011 for my 40th b-day. UNTIL they announced they were bringing back the Main Street Electrical Parade just for the summer. Since it holds a very special place in my heart I'm headed back in 12 days! LOL
So no, I guess I'll never say that was my last trip. :blush:

antngoof89
06-08-2010, 03:07 AM
Seeing as I am only 21 years old, I don't think I can even envision a point in my life that I would be able to think about my last trip.

There can't be such a thing... no way... I'm keeping these for life..:mickey:

Jenemmy
06-08-2010, 08:32 AM
My wonderful husband has only one quirk: he doesn't like vacations that much. He is one of those go to Disney for 2 nights, hit one park and leave happy before you get overwhelmed. :bang: I love him more than my next breath, truly -- but that was KILLIN' me!!! LOL

So, last month, he sent me, the kids and my mom to WDW for a week. I got to soak it all up, take my good sweet time and revel in all things Disney. I realized that as much as he is a homebody, I have sort of, kind of, totally dominated the vacation destination the last 17 years of marriage, and maybe there are other places in the world he would like to see.

So, I told him if I took this good long trip, i would not whine about going to WDW for a while (no exact time limit -- LOL) and would actually let him pick somewhere else he would like to go for the next year or two.

That being said, I hope to be back to see the new Fantasyland in 2013, but it BREAKS my heart to imagine waiting that long!!!!

Darbylew
06-08-2010, 08:41 AM
Whoever said there would be a last trip to
WDW......not me!!!! I will be going as long as
my legs will take me. I was just there in May
and I am going back in October. Twice a year
at least for me! :mickey:

deedeenmickey
06-08-2010, 09:58 AM
If I ever have a "last trip" it will be because it was totally out of my control! LOL Last Trip? - NEVER

slegrant
06-08-2010, 10:16 AM
WDW opened the year I was born and as a kid my parents took me every year, then they bought a motorhome and annual passes and then it was sometimes once a month with a 2 week trip in July for the 4th and a 10 day trip over New Year's. Now that I have a family of my own the thought of missing our two annual trips a year will not be heard in our house. My wife and I were engaged at WDW and my three boys love it as much as I do! No last trips for us:mickey:

johnO
06-08-2010, 10:59 AM
There have been times when we return from WDW and say
"Ok, time to try something else. No WDW next year." Yet, we always seem to end up back in WDW :thumbsup:. We've been saying this for a while now and to some extend we have tried other things. We've taken Disney Cruises the last couple of years, but that still included nearly a week in WDW both times. We just can't seem to shake the WDW bug....

We have a 7 nt Disney Cruise in October and only ONE day at WDW. We highly recommend a Disney Cruise as an alternative to WDW. Its new and exciting but still has plenty of "Disney Magic".

Poohluv85
06-08-2010, 12:25 PM
My last trip was last year, unfortunantly my family has decided they dont really care for disney as much as they use to so theyre not interested in going anymore.I really miss the disney magic and all the warm fuzzy feelings i get and its worse being that i live only an hour away. Im hoping to get some of my friends hooked and revisit my favorite place in the world

Thumper03
06-08-2010, 01:04 PM
Our kids are 12 & 15 now, and we know its also going to be some of our last trips with them while they are still kids.

These are the type of things we find ourselves saying. With the kids growing up, it's always the last something. In 2007, we had our last trip of 5, oldest DD is now serving in the Army in Afghanistan. March '08 was our last trip paying for youngest DD as a child. This past October was the last chance for DS to see MNSSHP before high school. We knew he would never get away during football season. Knowing things like this before the trip make us appreciate the time even more.

Belle_0717
06-08-2010, 01:14 PM
My dad often reminds my sister and I how we could COMPLAIN that we were going to Disney AGAIN; that we were bored and hated going. Then in 1996 we went twice in one year and in '98 & '99 took sister trips.

Now my parents bought into the DVC and we are taking our own families. DH and I tried to plan a trip OTHER THAN DISNEY and as DVC members, this is the CHEAPEST vacation we can take. Even road trips to Rhode Island or Massachusetts cost more than a plane ticket to WDW.

People ask me WHY DISNEY? I say it is my HOME away from home. Now I will be venturing to WDW with my twins and the rest of the family - 9 total. Since the girls are so young, it doesn't count as a Magical Gathering but it will be MAGICAL for me.

Don't think I could ever say LAST trip b/c there is always another around the corner whether it is 6 months or 6 years away.

KAJUNKING
06-08-2010, 01:35 PM
right when we get home from a trip i sometimes feel i could go for while without a trip but after 6 or 7 months i am always so ready to go back :mickey:

renecat
06-08-2010, 02:16 PM
In Dec. 2006 I told my husband I thought I was in WDW burn out. Well by March 2008 I was planning a trip with my sister to take my two youngest grand daughter. Since then I was back Sept. 2009 and heading back in Oct.2010. We also did a Disney cruise in Feb 2010. Didn't stay burned out long. My Husband tells people the wheels weren't even touching the ground from our flight back after our cruise that my sister and I were planning our trip for Oct.

momof3+twins
06-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Well, not the last trip but I did say last year that we were going every other year...free dining sucked us in again this year!LOL!

Gator
06-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Don't know if anyone will be reading this being this far down on the list. When we came home this January from WDW, I said that was probably the last trip to FL. With kids growing up (and out of the free admission stage), it too expensive to go cross country when I can drive 6 1/2 hours to Disneyland. With the economy tight and squeezing, plus an addition soon to be here (most of WDW is built for a family of 4), it'll be hard make it work. Plus my wife wants to go to Hawaii for 10th which is in 2012 (thanks Jon and Kate plus Hate). That will dig into any WDW fund. I hope I go back and that's why I keep coming back to Intercot.

debandbub
06-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Not us, but my brother and his family took not just a "last trip"- but a "once in a lifetime" trip. We (who will never take a Last trip) went with my brother, his wife and my two nieces on their "once in a lifetime" trip in October 2008. Needless to say, when we all got back home, they asked us if we could help them plan their next trip. It is infectious!!:mickey:

PopPhan
06-09-2010, 08:16 PM
We take our "last trip" every 9 - 12 months....It is the last trip before the next trip! :mickey:

c&d
06-10-2010, 09:55 AM
We are taking 2011 off. We usually go during April school vacation but next year it falls during Easter Week. As much as I love Disney, I just can think of going when it's super crowded. :sad:

Gregandmel
06-10-2010, 10:09 AM
We spent a fortune Oct. 2008 for our "Once in a Lifetime" trip with our 2 boys - ages 8 & 17. Thought this would be our "Disney Trip" for them to experience and that would be that. HA! I wasn't back 3 weeks before I was itching to go again and 18 months later we were BACK! I was on the plane ride home wondering how I could afford to take my family again and how soon! LOL. Sometimes - that Disney magic just hits you out of the blue when you least expect it. We won't ever have a "last" trip - just a "next" trip waiting. :cloud9:

wolfhog
06-10-2010, 04:16 PM
In the past all of our trips were of the 3-4 day variety and I was thinking that a "vacation" from Disney would be a good idea. So about 5 years ago what was going to be our "last" trip was an 8 day one. I figured more time there would get it out of our systems.
Ha! It actually refreshed us - we found ourselves enjoying Disney even more. Needless to say since then the trips are longer ones.

Someday I see myself in front of a group of people saying Hi, I'm Phil and a Disneyholic
and it'll feel great!

EeyoresBestFriend
06-10-2010, 05:33 PM
I hope I never know when I've taken my last trip . . . :D

CU Tiger
06-10-2010, 07:58 PM
We have said that three years straight and gone back to DW each time. I really think this year is "that" year. We are going to try New York City with my DDs. We will be back, i know. Once it gets in your blood, you cannot stay away.:mickey:

Brooklynos
06-13-2010, 07:10 PM
The past couple of years we have said we are going to take a "break" for a couple years and do something different. That was Sept '07, we took a cruise in '08 and by July of '08 were planning a trip for March 2009. We took our little brother and sister (12 and 15) March of this year and are going back in November. We don't have kids yet and really enjoy our trips just the two of us.... plus I have some surprises in store for my DH this trip (ADR's and hotel). I think the only thing that will keep us away for 2-3 years is when we get pregnant and the first couple years with our children... Other than that, I don't think anything can give us the same feeling..... I love it and get so excited at the thought of going soon!!!!

CaptainSad
06-13-2010, 09:08 PM
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER.. Ain't going to happen.. Just get i out of your heads.....lol

javamama
06-14-2010, 10:44 AM
What's that? We had a "break" between trips dh and I would go a few years in a row and then stop for awhile. My parents would take us for a few years in a row and then we'd go other places on vacation. Now I have kids, and we've been home for about a month they keep asking to go back and telling me how much they miss DW. My 3 yo soon to 4 yo, was watching an old DVD and saw CA in the previews and had to find me to tell me she wants to go to California to see MM now because he has a ferris wheel there:D So dh told me we're done for a few years, and I just say OK.............:blush::secret: I know we'll be back in a year especially since it will be my brand new nieces 1st bday next May and that's when our annual trip is!!

mjm12000
06-15-2010, 04:43 PM
I was always afraid I would have to say that one day would be my last trip to WDW so to prevent that most unwanted of days from coming anytime soon we bought a DVC membership at BLT then last month we were on our Cruise and we decided that not only was it not enough to stave off that last trip one day but to ensure it would not come any time soon we bought a second membership at The Grand Californian... So now there will not be a last at WDW or DL anytime soon... thank Goodness for DVC

Rosemickey68
06-27-2010, 04:07 PM
what language is that? I'm not sure I can translate those words! LOL!

In my dreams
06-27-2010, 04:54 PM
there will never be a "last trip" for me.
NEVER:mickey:

#1disneyfan
06-27-2010, 05:43 PM

I couldn't have said it better myself! We actually took a year off last year and went to DC and then up to the Canadian side of Niagra Falls. It was a nice vacation, but I love WDW. And here we come again this year!! Maybe we will just start WDW on alternating years ;).

frozman
06-28-2010, 01:31 AM
I have a similar DL story for you.

It was always my dream to see the original Disneyland Park since I was about 4. 3 years ago I had 2 free airline tickets to anywhere I wanted. I chose to take my little sister to DL. At the time I didn't make much money, and was trying to move out of my parents house. So I knew that I would never be able to afford a cross country flight+Hotel+theme park tickets+food ever again. I started an experimental web based business as a side job and watched that explode into an unprecidented success... 3 years later, the trip that I thought I'd never get to take again is happening twice this year.

pixiesmimi
06-28-2010, 11:01 AM
If it wasn't for grandchildren, we probably would never have come back but have manage to get back, if not every year, at least every two years lately. The first time with grandchildren, I figured it would be the last with DH. He was ready to change venues. :) But we came back alone one year (miracle) and he was hooked. :) We had to skip one year in 2008 after I was able to go twice the year before but we went back last year for our 40th Anniversary and had a ball! It was even DH's idea that we go back this year with ALL the kids with a bounce back offer. I was in shock! :blush: It didn't quite work out but we are going back in 30 days with half of them. I can't wait! I don't think there will be a last time anytime soon like there possibly could have been back in 2006. It helps when we get the 40% off military discount too! :D Keep up the discounts, Disney! :thumbsup:

BritCody
06-29-2010, 08:38 AM
My parents took me to WDW every year as a child and they joined my children and me on every trip that my kids have been to WDW also. Our last trip was the 10 days of October in 2008. In spring of 2008 my mother was diagnosed with cancer and given 6 months to live. She died shortly after our return from WDW. Since then it has been hard to think about returning to WDW as at times it will be emotional thinking of all the memories we shared there with my mother. Well as they say time heals and my children, Dad and myself are heading back down in a 17 days. Also per my Dad's request we are going again the week prior to Christmas. I am sure we will have some emotional moments during our trip but we will also have new Magical Memories to share

darthmacho
06-30-2010, 04:59 PM
Since no one actually said it, here it goes...I'LL TAKE MY LAST TRIP WHEN I'M DEAD! :cloud9: LOL

disneymom2000
06-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Actually my last trip will be the one I take in December. I wanted to make sure I saw the Christmas decorations at all the resorts and wanted to research the traditions of the countries. I booked my trip through MJ and made all my ADR's but I can't seem to get excited about going. I thought if I didn't do too much research before going I would get more excited the closer it came. Didn't happen. So I decided I would get on the boards more and read some of the more uplifting posts but that isn't working either. I am now hoping just time passing will help. Otherwise - I am lost.

Bluesky481
07-01-2010, 01:40 PM
The trip we took this past February may be the last trip we take until 2013. We're expecting our first little one in August, and will need to take a break due to expenses. DH and I are both going through MAJOR withdrawals! Especially since my little sister is working in entertainment through the College Program right now and is performing in DEP!! AGH!

Hopefully my little sister is able to get a regular job with Disney upon graduation (less than a year away), and we can have a REALLY good excuse to go back sooner!

Lizzie
07-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Our last visit to DW was in September of 2007. And we knew we wouldn't be back in a while. On that trip our twins were a year and a half and we were planning on having more kids and didn't think we could handle the busses with strollers and young kids. Our plan was to come back for two weeks in 2011. But we have been on 3 trips to Disnelyand since than.

But 2011 is next year so now I need to ask the husband if that is still the plan. Though we are headed to Disneyland this September.

kemps@wdw
07-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Only like a dozen times! :D

E-OR
07-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Living in the Pacific NW we had always gone to Disneyland, usually every couple years. My husband really wanted to try WDW, just once. We went, thinking that we would go the one time and continue our bi-yearly trips to Disneyland. That was 14 years ago and since we have been to WDW every year and more than once a couple times. We have said a few times that it would probably be our last trip with our whole family. Our two boys are grown now. We have been with only one of the kids a few times but still have managed to go as an entire family (plus their friends) a couple times. We are planning what I think may be our last family vacation this September. Just the four of us. Now we look forward and talk about taking grandkids someday.

iluvdumbo
07-05-2010, 08:28 PM
I never think of any of my trips being my last, because after the previous one, I usually plan a time where there is a school break and beg to my mom until she finally has to say that it is cheap airfare that we can go! That is my technique for November (Vetrans Day).

I know that I will probably have to give up WDW while I'm in college for nursing :nurse: in two years...or I will just go on my breaks. :dumbo:

I will never say the words *my last trip*...I can't allow those words to come from my vocal cords to my mouth, it's just so hurtful.

GottaluvTiggr
07-07-2010, 10:37 AM
I'm going into my senior year of high school, meaning college is not that far away.:D I've been telling my mom this will be my "Last Trip" till after college, but we will have to see if that happens.