PDA

View Full Version : Not a Happy Girl at Ohana!!

mickeys_princess_mom
06-05-2010, 06:45 PM
LOVE Ohana---Number one ressie I was calling daily to get after we changed our dates. Was able to get time and day we wanted thanks to (surprise upgrade!)concierge....Noticed that the server mentioned "chicken" and pork as he slid the meat off the skewer. I caught that, and as he came back to our table I asked about it and was told there is no more turkey!!! Our favorite!! I was MAD. First the potatoes, then the (cold) shrimp, then the Main Street Bakery ditches the French Toast, then ESPN Club scraps the Roast Beef---then Ohana stops the turkey?! And he had the nerve to mumble something about there being a "turkey shortage". He asked if I might want to speak to a manager or head chef to which I replied yes, intending to very nicely ask them to count my vote asking them to please reconsider! My husband assured them I was just kidding, to which the waiter replied, she didn't sound like she was kidding. I was mad at everybody--even Intercot cause I didn't have any warning.:blush: Server said they discontinued it two days before---and I am not buying the shortage story cause turkey LEGS were everywhere.....:thedolls::( Still had a great meal, but am not happy about the change at all. It was just one too many changes on this trip.

BrerGnat
06-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Hmm...turkey shortage? Maybe their SUPPLIER is having a turkey shortage. I can assure you, the turkey legs and turkey breast meat served at 'Ohana do NOT come from the same turkeys. ;)

I wonder if they are still serving turkey at Liberty Tree Tavern?

It could be possible, and maybe it's a temporary change.

However, I always found the turkey to be overcooked on the skewers. Was the chicken less so? I actually love chicken, and sort of wish they had that at 'Ohana instead of turkey, which I always thought was weird. To my knowledge, Hawaii doesn't have lots of turkey running around wild...

r4kids
06-05-2010, 07:12 PM
FYI I totally agree. We LOVED the potatoes at Ohana and the turkey!! I would also like to throw in my vote for bringing the taco place by Pirates to an all year opening!!! I love that place but it is never open :(

mickeys_princess_mom
06-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Hmm...turkey shortage? Maybe their SUPPLIER is having a turkey shortage. I can assure you, the turkey legs and turkey breast meat served at 'Ohana do NOT come from the same turkeys. ;)

Thankfully not! ;) LOL. I really can't stand the turkey legs, and for some reason we noticed bunches of people eating them this trip---which made me think when the server made this comment!

SBETigg
06-05-2010, 10:04 PM
I'm really sorry it happened to you on your night. I wouldn't mind chicken instead of turkey. The turkey legs are probably a completely different supply order. I'm more a fan of the whole 'Ohana experience than I am of the meats in general, though. A weird explanation, but maybe just temporary.

#1donaldfan
06-06-2010, 08:51 AM
....well, I guess till the "turkey's come home" I'll just write off Ohana's ..... the potatoes and turkey were the only items that I liked anyway.....:cool:

crltkcagle
06-06-2010, 10:00 AM
Guess we ate the last of the turkey, sorry. LOL Seriously though we were there on the 25th and we got turkey. I can't believe they are going to stop serving it!

MizMissy
06-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Guess we ate the last of the turkey, sorry. LOL Seriously though we were there on the 25th and we got turkey. I can't believe they are going to stop serving it!

Kelly - were you following us around? (kidding). We were also there on the 25th and we had the turkey. I liked it much better than the pork (too dry) or steak (way overcooked and fatty).

To the OP: Sorry you missed out on the turkey.

MNNHFLTX
06-07-2010, 05:07 PM
With turkey meat shortages, dry pork and fatty beef, it doesn't sound like Ohana is racking up any points these days....

crltkcagle
06-07-2010, 07:56 PM
[QUOTE=MizMissy;2063863]Kelly - were you following us around? (kidding). We were also there on the 25th and we had the turkey. I liked it much better than the pork (too dry) or steak (way overcooked and fatty).
I guess we must have been following you that day. Did you visit MK too? :thumbsup:

Love TinkTink
06-07-2010, 11:59 PM
what do you mean the Main Street Bakery ditches the French Toast?!?!?!!??? We've been gone from the boards a while, and have popped back in to plan our december trip, and I saw this post.. yikes!:thedolls:

DVC2004
06-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Maybe they were trying out a swap out with chicken to see what the reaction would be from guests- if people liked it or were complaining. My guess is that chicken is cheaper than turkey, more likely a money-saving thing...a while back they took away the shrimp I remember but they brought it back eventually...

Jared
06-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Sorry you had a disappointing experience at 'Ohana. Unfortunately, the reviews have been consistently negative for the last few months.

I am curious to see if the chicken is a permanent fixture of just a temporary replacement. I have not heard of a menu change anywhere else.

SurferStitch
06-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Sorry you weren't happy with 'Ohana. Reviews are truly completely subjective.

Our friends were there last week, and absolutely raved about the meal. We also had a fabulous meal there in December.

As long as they are serving white meat chicken (breast), then I welcome the change. The turkey was good, but I like chicken much better. We've also never had dry pork...I like mine fully cooked with absolutely no pink AT ALL. It's always been pretty juicy for us. The steak is usually too rare for me, but they do give me medium well pieces when I ask for it. Slightly pink in the middle is all I can stand.

Genie1953
06-08-2010, 09:55 PM
We absolutely loved O'Hana's.

TheRustyScupper
06-09-2010, 04:11 AM
Menus change, and you have to roll with the changes.

Belle_0717
06-11-2010, 12:46 PM
Been disappointed since they took the potatoes away. Now the turkey.

Why did you have to bring up the Bakery's French toast? I was just starting to come to grips with that.

Jared
06-11-2010, 07:21 PM
Menus change, and you have to roll with the changes.
Exactly. The posters who most complain about menu changes are often the first to praise the replacement items. Everybody flipped when 'Ohana removed the cheesy potatoes and vowed never to return. Now I consistently read positive reviews of the noodles, especially because they better fit the theme of the meal.

Maybe chicken is considered more authentic than turkey. Maybe they have a wonderful new spice rub that will work better with chicken. Regardless, I am always surprised by the extreme reaction to seemingly minor changes.

MuchLovedMama
06-11-2010, 07:55 PM
I would also like to throw in my vote for bringing the taco place by Pirates to an all year opening!!! I love that place but it is never open :(

I agree with that. Love El Pirata y el Peirco. I haven't got to eat there since 2000. Long time!!! :thedolls:

sassy2000
06-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Exactly. The posters who most complain about menu changes are often the first to praise the replacement items. Everybody flipped when 'Ohana removed the cheesy potatoes and vowed never to return. Now I consistently read positive reviews of the noodles, especially because they better fit the theme of the meal.

Maybe chicken is considered more authentic than turkey. Maybe they have a wonderful new spice rub that will work better with chicken. Regardless, I am always surprised by the extreme reaction to seemingly minor changes.
T

I agree. First off, why would you go to Ohana if it was only for the turkey? We have always liked all of the meats and sides there. We were there on May 31st and had the turkey but I would have preferred chicken. Everything was delicious.

WVParkfan
06-24-2010, 02:15 PM
I would also like to throw in my vote for bringing the taco place by Pirates to an all year opening!!! I love that place but it is never open :(

Here, here! Throw in Tomorrowland Terrace Noodle Station, too. We've been to WDW 9 times, and have only seen the Noodle Station open once! And we usually go during the busy season (Spring Break).

buzznwoodysmom
06-24-2010, 04:48 PM
We ate at Ohana's a little over a week ago and I was actually thrilled with the chicken breast. In the past I've not been a fan of Ohana's turkey. It always seemed to be dried out and have an odd taste to me. The chicken was delicious and my family loved the change. I've been hearing negative reviews of Ohana's a lot lately. We eat at Ohana's on every trip, most recent trips have been June 2009, Nov. 2009, and June 2010, and we've found on those trips the food at Ohana's was better than ever!! No complaints from my family. Sorry you didn't enjoy the changes.

mickeys_princess_mom
12-26-2010, 10:24 PM
T

I agree. First off, why would you go to Ohana if it was only for the turkey? We have always liked all of the meats and sides there. We were there on May 31st and had the turkey but I would have preferred chicken. Everything was delicious.

Catching up here....Never said I only go to Ohana for the turkey. It was just my favorite part, and I miss it. Going back in a week and a half.