PDA

View Full Version : Disney and Marvel

Going2HeavenRU
06-05-2010, 10:53 AM
With all the hype around the WWoHP, I am wondering when Disney is getting the Marvel characters from Universal. This should have a big affect on Universal considering they will lose Hulk, Spiderman, etc.

Any one know if Disney is planning a new park for the Marvel characters?

Scar
06-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Disney is not planning a new park in Orlando for any theme, nor should they.

My understanding is Universal owns the Theme Park rights to Marvel charaters for many more years. Until (if) that changes, Disney cannot theme any ride to them.

Strmchsr
06-05-2010, 11:49 AM
My understanding is Universal owns the Theme Park rights to Marvel charaters for many more years. Until (if) that changes, Disney cannot theme any ride to them.

Yep. Disney has merchandise and movie rights but not theme park rights (or at least not exclusive. I think Marvel characters can appear at WDW, but at Universal, too). You'd think that would have been part of the deal, but apparently not.

cetacean01
06-05-2010, 01:35 PM
start a new park planning.....just not based on the Marvel chracters. As of late, Disney has resorted to simply refurbing and rethemeing their attractions, Universal is catching up. It is time for Disney to create some NEW magic before they get too stale. Fantasyland is specifically princess based.......that is demographic specific....an american version of DisneySEA would be amazing!!!!:mickey:

HackLaSalle
06-05-2010, 05:07 PM
From my understanding the Marvel based theming at Universal only applies to the Comic Book Form of the character. I'm under the impression that the movie forms of the characters are going to be free for Disney to do what the wish. One of the rumors I heard is that Iron Man will be taking the place of the Power Rangers meet and greet now that the Power Rangers are back to Saban. What I'm wondering is what is to designate the difference between the comic book form and the movie form of these characters.

Victor Kelly
06-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Before speculation starts running rampant, can someone confirm who owns which rights to whatever.

I could see Disney having rights possibly to DC or Dark Horse titles and characters as they are direct competition to Marvel.

Just asking for clarification before people start napalming me.:yoda:

HackLaSalle
06-05-2010, 10:11 PM
If you're talking theme parks I do believe Six Flags works with DC.

Victor Kelly
06-06-2010, 09:48 AM
Yup they do, I overlooked that.

JPL
06-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Universal has an exclusive agreement for certain Characters in Theme Parks East of the Mississippi. I am not sure exactly what characters they are outside of the ones Universal already has in IOA already. I do know there are also conditions of quality control and other things linked to the deal but not sure of the specifics. Basically Disney will start using the characters Universal doesn't have rights to first and then try to regain control of those they do. I would also guess that Unviersal will evntually get tired of paying Disney for the use of the Marvel Characters and eventually start to phase them out as new intellectual properties become available ie Harry Potter.
I don't think we see an significant addition of Marvel to the parks for at least a decade.

Tekneek
06-14-2010, 08:15 PM
A blog entry at the LA Times from June 11 quotes Bob Iger as saying this:

"We're just now considering all of our different options, so it would be premature to say when or where in the parks you would see Marvel characters," Disney President and CEO Bob Iger told The Los Angeles Times. "But I think it's safe to say that you're going to see some of those great Marvel characters walking around in the future."

BrerGnat
06-14-2010, 10:37 PM
As of last Wednesday, the Toy Store (Engine Ears Toys) at DCA was carrying Marvel superhero TOYS.

I know for sure, because my 4 year old went ballistic for a Spiderman riding an ATV, so I had to buy it. ;)

They had LOTS of Spiderman toys (made by Hasbro), and an entire section for Iron Man 2. They had it all...masks, gloves, toys, t-shirts, etc.

I didn't really pay attention to the other Marvel characters they had merchandise for, but you can be assured that at LEAST in California, the toys have made an appearance in Disney parks. Although, this could mean nothing, as the toy stores tend to carry lots of different "brands".

i'm grumpy
06-15-2010, 04:14 PM
I think there was some Marvel merchandise of some sort at DW last month. I didn't pay much attention. Can't recall what we heard was replacing the Power Rangers. :blush:

TheVBs
06-15-2010, 04:28 PM
An Iron Man meet and greet would be awesome!! :mickey: