PDA

View Full Version : Osborne Lights

Ms. Mode
06-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Can anyone tell me about what time in the evening they turn the Osborne Lights on? I really know very little about this; does the program only last a few minutes? Any other info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rekenna
06-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Yes! Please share! This will be our first time at Christmas as well.:mickey:

DisneyPrincess21
06-04-2010, 12:05 PM
The lights get turned on around dusk, and stay lit until park closing. They dance to the music around every 10-15 minutes, but even when they aren't dancing to the music, they still stay lit. They are a must see! :santa3:

Any other Christmas questions, feel free to ask. :thumbsup:

eeyorepoohfan
06-04-2010, 12:21 PM
The lights get turned on around dusk, and stay lit until park closing. They dance to the music around every 10-15 minutes, but even when they aren't dancing to the music, they still stay lit. They are a must see! :santa3:

Any other Christmas questions, feel free to ask. :thumbsup:

:ditto:
:mickey:My hubby and I went in December 2009. It was so amazing to see!!! We actually made a point to be there when they flipped the switch on to catch the first song for the night. We stood in the middle of the street and the crossroads. So we were able to turn around in a circle and see all of the lights! :thumbsup:So amazing! We can't go and look and Christmas lights around the neighborhood anymore :blush:, it's just not the same after seeing this amazing display!!

KAT1811
06-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Like the PPs stated it starts at dusk and goes until park closing. We saw it for the first time last year and it was AMAZING!!! A do not miss for sure!!!!!

To be honest I'm a little sad we'll be missing it this year!!!

MaxPower
06-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Some additional information:

The lights are placed on all buildings on New York Street and side streets at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Every inch of each building is covered from top to bottom - there is no "blank space" on any building.

In addition, there are several HUGE light displays placed on top of the buildings themselves and along the streets near the sidewalks. Massive electric light banners are hung across the street overhead from building to building.

It is truly a spectacle: Far superior to any neigborhood light display you will ever see. It is literally a full city block entirely covered in Christmas lights.

The lights stay lit throughout the evening and fake snow ( actually a soap bubble type of substance) is intermittently blown from the rooftops to make it look like it's snowing - a very nice effect.

Christmas music plays consistently and every 15 minutes or so, the lights are choreographed to flash in unison to certain songs.

Also, note that people merely wander the street to see the lights. There is no "formality" to it like other Disney attractions. You simply walk the street or just watch from where you stand. Because of this, the street is MASSIVELY crowded. There are a couple thousand people on the street at any given time- some trying to make their way from one end to the other--others just standing in their own spot--and many moving around trying to take pictures. It gets VERY crowded--so keep this in mind if you have strollers, wheelchairs or little children who walk on their own.

Here's a tip: Every 15 minutes when one of the choreographed songs begins - all of the people freeze to watch the "dancing" lights. This is usually a great time to make your way through the crowd. It's much easier to maneuver through hundreds of people when they are standing still.

Disney vendors are also located around the street with carts selling hot chocolate, cookies and the like.

It is unlike anything you will see anywhere else on the planet - it's a MUST SEE.

Darbylew
06-04-2010, 05:57 PM
The lights come on about dusk and they stay
on a long time. They flash at times and the
music is great. There is snow falling during the
show. It is wonderful and will bring tears to
your eyes at least it does mine. You will love it.
Don't miss it. :number1::mickey:

DisneyPrincess21
06-04-2010, 06:44 PM
Also, note that people merely wander the street to see the lights. There is no "formality" to it like other Disney attractions. You simply walk the street or just watch from where you stand. Because of this, the street is MASSIVELY crowded. There are a couple thousand people on the street at any given time- some trying to make their way from one end to the other--others just standing in their own spot--and many moving around trying to take pictures. It gets VERY crowded--so keep this in mind if you have strollers, wheelchairs or little children who walk on their own.

IMHO, I would use the term "MASSIVELY crowded" very carefully and keep in mind that if all, it would only be true on certain days. I believe this may give people an false idea of the crowds, and might actually keep people from going to see the lights.

I have been the past 3 years in a row, and never has it ever been anything even close to crowded, let alone "massively crowded." The closer you get to Christmas it does fill up more with people.

This will be my 4th year in a row visiting WDW at Christmastime, and in the past 3 years I have gone, it has never been so crowded that I would avoid the Osborne Lights. :santa3:

Zimkeeper
06-04-2010, 06:48 PM
We have seen the Osborne Lights several time in the last 7 years and the lights have always started at 6:00 PM. Don't miss them, they are so awesome:party:

beksy
06-04-2010, 06:56 PM
I can't add anything new but I wanted to say definately don't miss this...it is incredible! Also, allow yourself plenty of time because we found ourselves just standing there in awe at times. We loved looking for the hidden Mickeys and the black cat from Halloween so I would recommend that and also just relax, and take it all in, including the side streets. You won't be disappointed! :eyes: :jaw:

ANG
06-04-2010, 07:59 PM
this post makes me want my trip to come do much faster!!! I'm looking forward to the lights, never seen them!

TheDuckRocks
06-06-2010, 11:59 AM
From our first visit to the Osborne Lights to what we have encountered the last 2 years, I would have to agree with the poster that called it "massively" crowded. I do think part of my problem has been that we have been there the last 2 years to see the lights go on and the fact that I use an ECV also traps me in at a lower level and I can't see to get around as easily. My plan for this year is to go over after we have dinner and I'm hoping it won't be as jam packed. Will we go to see it even if it is a zoo? Oh, yeah.

Renfairwedding
06-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Be sure to look for the hidden Mickey’s mixed in with all the lights. Also the later it gets the crowd seems to thin out some.

Brooklynos
06-06-2010, 02:44 PM
We will be in DHS on November 17th, will they be on by then?