PDA

View Full Version : About to Join...Maybe

antnyh
06-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Hello everyone. We took the BLT DVC tour last week during our visit. I have to say that it was a pleasant experience. We signed up down there in order to get 2009 points. We were given a UY of June. I don't know if a June UY is good or not, but it was very hard not to sign up and get a total of 420 points immediately! We are not rich, but we are not hurting either. We take annual trips and always stay in deluxe resorts. I guess financially it could be justifiable if you pay the entire amount up front. If you finance I just don't see the benefit. So we plan on paying the entire amount up front, I digress. Some questions to help put our mind at ease.
1. No daily maid service is a real bummer for us. I feel that if I am on vacay I shouldn't be requested to do my own laundry. I think that is silly. Question is, do you get charged if you ask for clean towels? I don't have a problem with using the same sheets for three days, but I will need more towels.
2. The June UY. Is that good for a family that would typically travel in either May or October? We have kids and that will be the travel months for the next 15 years.
3. The feeling of being "in Disney." Is that still there? That feeling is why we stay at the deluxes. We love being right in the middle of the monorail system and MK. Hence the desire for BLT.
4. We told the rep that we were recommended to join by some friends that are members. He told us we would get a little extra benefit as would our friends. I didn't notice that in the package. What is a typical friend referral benefit? I haven't had a chance to call MS yet, so please excuse my ignorance.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

DizneyRox
06-04-2010, 10:39 AM
1. Yes, there is a charge for fresh/more towels... It's just the way it is. Not a big deal, towels are just wet, we throw them in the dryer and leave. We've never had a problem with the number of towels provided, if you need more, it's a few bucks. If you want them daily then that's going to add up over a longer trip.
2. UY really only matters when you need to bank and when you need to bank by. I don't think UY is a deal breaker or any type of a barrier to when you travel. EXCEPT, if you end up cancelling a May trip, you won't have much opportunity to use those points before they expire. I think that's the biggest isue you may have. All they have is May? If it's May or October, then it's really 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of another.
3. I have noticed no difference in the lack of the Disney feeling staying DVC vs a normal guest. The newer resorts are not of the same quality (materials and build quality) as the older resorts, but that's not what you asked. We prefer AKLV ourselves...
4. Depends on the state. Sometimes there's a referral bonus (I didn't think there was one for the people joining though), but I haven't kept up on it. Might be like $150 or something. Used to depend on how many people they referred, etc. Again, some states DO NOT allow refereal bonuses on things like timeshares, so it may amount to nothing.

KAT1811
06-04-2010, 02:04 PM
DisneyRox,

Why do you prefer AKLV? We too are thinking about buying in but I'm uncertain of a home resort since our first choice is OKW and they aren't selling. Lol!

DizneyRox
06-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Fell in love with the lodge shortly after it opened. To me, I'd rather stay there than any other resort (including the Grand)...

The resort is beautiful (but beauty is in the eye of the beholder). I'm an animal freak, so I'm sure that helps. Jambo house used to be a pretty tranquil resort, so it was relaxing, the music is very comforting, and I love the decor.

Helps to have two of the best restaurants right there, Boma and Jiko. I have yet to try Saana...

Transportation has never been an issue for me, in fact I think it's some of the best on property. Yes, you need to bus everywhere, but really, not a big deal.

They also have one of the best gift shops on property at Jambo House.

The resort now is a little more busy, Kidani was pretty quiet though (much like many of the DVC resorts). The pool area is great as well, and far enough away from Jambo that I think it keeps them away.

Finally, the staff at AKL and AK always seem to be a step above the other resorts. I don't think I've ever had a problem with the CMs there. They seem to enjoy their jobs and making guests feel welcome and also helping resolve problems should they arise.

Sorry, I can't really put a finger on something that says, THIS MAKES IT BETTER!

But maybe that will help... I used to own at Boardwalk Villas and sold that contract to upsize at AKLV. No regrets, we'll be back at BW and BC, but not for a bit, until we run out of things to do at AKLV.

TheDuckRocks
06-06-2010, 12:06 PM
DisneyRox,

Why do you prefer AKLV? We too are thinking about buying in but I'm uncertain of a home resort since our first choice is OKW and they aren't selling. Lol!

:confused: Did you ask if you could buy at OKW and told no? We were told that almost everything was available just a few months ago direct from our Disney salesperson. We have purchased OKW then a little while ago Hilton Head Island.

KAT1811
06-06-2010, 01:23 PM
:confused: Did you ask if you could buy at OKW and told no? We were told that almost everything was available just a few months ago direct from our Disney salesperson. We have purchased OKW then a little while ago Hilton Head Island.

I assumed that they were no longer selling the older resorts. Now that I know this is an option we are going to make an appointment (while we will be in WDW in October) and see what we can do.