PDA

View Full Version : The "Fairly well planned with me learning to adjust a little" trip – Day 4

MizMissy
06-03-2010, 11:22 PM
Who:
Me - Planner - 40
DH - 43
DD -9
DS - 7
Staying at The Contemporary – check-in Sunday, May 23rd, check-out Friday, May 28th.

Wednesday, May 26th

Plans today: Waterpark, maybe DTD and 7:30 reservations at Narcoossee’s.

I LOVE DISNEY. I, however, am not the greatest fans of waterparks, in general. Why? Not sure. But, DD LOVES waterparks. And, DS is a great big fan also. DD’s one request this trip was that we have a waterpark day. Sigh … maybe I really should have extended our trip an extra day, but too late … I guess I was in denial about how much park time I would miss on this trip.

We are quickly running out of days and with the crowds and our less park time touring schedule, then adding a waterpark day, I felt we were missing out on MK (okay, I admit it, it was “I” who was missing out on MK). Only one ride on Splash Mountain? Please, say it’s not so. So, I hatched a plan. MK opened at 9, Blizzard Beach did not open until 10. And, yes, I’m sure it is as equally important to hit the waterparks at opening as the Fab 4 parks, but well….priorities? So, before bed, I asked the kids if they would like to wake up early to be at MK for park opening … we had missed the show on Sunday … and we could go straight to Splash Mountain, then Thunder Mountain, ride the train around to Toon Town, hit Space Mountain on our way out and still be at Blizzard Beach shortly after park opening (well….maybe I stretched the “shortly” prediction). DH looked at me like I had lost my mind. So…maybe we leave daddy to “rest in” a bit in the morning and just mommy and kids go to MK? My kids actually thought this was a wonderful idea. As much as we love pure thrill rides, Splash Mountain really is our favorite … the quintessential Disney ride in my very humble opinion.

So, Wednesday morning, I’m up, dressed, and marshalling the kids out the door while DH lounges in bed watching the morning news (ick, why let the real world and the horrible tragedy destroying our beautiful and fragile Louisiana marshes and livelihood at home intrude on my time at the Happiest Place on Earth?? I’m trying to escape real life stress for a week.). Anyway, we make it to the park with the masses of people at park opening. Wow. Great opening show (although we were a little to the side and not the best view) and straight to Splash. Lots of people heading towards Splash with us. The ride is a quick walk through the queue, a great ride. The kids were happy to be in the front row again to get as soaked as possible. As we approach to unload, we see people in line, but a big group was slow in lining up because they were putting on ponchos … Could it be? Could we possibly ask???? No one was in line … “Can we ride again?????” SURE!!! YAY!!! Once more around!! Soaked kids, onward to Thunder Mountain, walk on and we were able to ride in the last car! This is our day! What a great start to the day. We leave Thunder Mountain and I see the train is loading up and I knew we wouldn’t make it. We were approaching 10:00 and I knew we wouldn’t have time to wait for another train. Oh well, we missed our beloved ride on Walt’s Train. Quick walk across the park to Space Mountain. It listed a 20 minute wait. There was a wait, but not quite 20 minutes. One last blast into space and I knew it was time to leave. We really did not have time to ride again if we wanted to get to Blizzard Beach early. However, as we were leaving, DS asked if we could ride Buzz since we had not had a chance this trip. Buzz was listed as a 5 minute wait, but it was almost walk-on. That done, we left the park and walked back to the Contemporary….arrived 10:30 on the dot. Not a bad morning at all!!! Everyone was happy … me, kids and DH (for enjoying a little slower, quieter morning).

After a quick change and packing of the beach bag, we were off to BB. We went in our swimsuits and coverups, but I packed a change of clothes for everyone because we wanted to hit DTD (more specifically, The Lego Store) after BB. DD’s one request for the week was a waterpark; DS’s one request for the week was The Lego Store. BB wasn’t bad. The kids had fun. When we arrived, we had to rent a locker and towels (clearly, I had not put much planning into our waterpark day). People, everywhere. Chairs taken, everywhere. The kids stood in line for the toboggan type slides, DH stood in line for the Double Dipper slide next to the toboggans and I went to the bottom of the Double Dipper to wait. I found a small chair to sit in and wait. Even though, I’m not a great fan of waterparks (maybe it’s the whole idea of walking around in your bathing suit, with everyone else in their bathing suits, and standing in line burning your feet on the concrete), I do love sitting outside soaking up the sun. Most days, I spend sitting in an office in front of a computer, so anytime outside is really a great thing. This also gave me the opportunity to enjoy another favorite Disney pastime … people watching. And, at a waterpark? Wow. Interesting. The kids’ lines were short and they were able to ride three times while DH still had not rode once. Afterwards, we realized the slide he picked was the slowest loading slide in the park (maybe in the whole of Disney).

Next we moved onto the “red” slides (?? Not sure … they are the tube slides with a choice of double or single tubes). DS and I rode together on a double tube, DH and DD on their tube. Good ride, decent in length. We decide to ride again. DS and I together again, DD and DH decide to ride single. After being shot out of the tube, DS hopped out and as I was trying every so ungracefully to extricate myself from the tube, the tube popped up and slapped me very hard on the side of the head …. UH OH …. Immediately, I realized what had happened. I lost an earring. I am so upset, but have to quickly exit because that’s what you have to do at the end of those rides. You see, I was wearing my pearl earrings that were a wedding present from DH. Now, why would I be wearing something so precious to a waterpark? Stupid, I know. However, everyday, as part of my routine in getting dressed, I put on my watch and my pearl earrings. That’s it. I do not wear much jewelry. I rarely wear my wedding rings – I love them but they bother me during the day when I am typing at the computer. Maybe if we went straight to the waterparks, my routine would have been differently, but probably not. I have worn these earrings, on average 350 days a year for the past almost 16 years. Big, big, heavy-hearted sigh. :( When DH and DD exited, I broke the news to DH that “this trip just became a little bit more expensive.” He wasn’t upset that I lost them other than he knows they were clearly very precious to me. Okay, let’s move on, let’s not let this ruin my day/trip/year. (And I’m trying not to let my carelessness further cloud my view of waterparks…;-)) Guess I know what I might receive as an anniversary present in September? (Hopefully?)

Next, we ride the lazy river for a while. All of us were starving, so we find our towels to dry off a bit and collect a room key from the locker. We ate at the main CS at BB. DH, DD, and I had cheese pizza, DS had a hot dog. Not the greatest, but filled our tummies. We ride the lazy river again. Then take the gondola to Team Boat Springs ride. A little wait for the gondola, but basically walk on the ride. Fun, fun ride. The big individual slides at the top had 40 minute posted waits. Again, we spent some time in the wave pool and the lazy river and rode Team Boat Springs again. A little more hanging out and we were ready to call it a day. After dressing, we all enjoyed smoothies from the concession stand next to the lockers. I think it was almost 4:00 when we left the park. We were all very tired, but knew this was the best time to go to DTD. We were lucky to find a parking space right behind the Lego Store. I took lots of pictures of the kids with big lego sculptures outside and inside the store. DS and DH spent some time filling up the large lego container with individual pieces while DD and I looked around. DS picked out a box set and DD picked one out also. She loves to build legos as much as DS. We walked through WOD. Wow, this store is really too big and just too overwhelming for me. I know that I have a few things I want to pick up for me and for my mom and the kids’ afternoon/summer sitter (we love her, she’s a college student who has been with us for several years, she’s part of our family), but we were all wiped out by this point. Since we were there, I chose coffee mugs for my mom, DH and myself. DD found a pen she wanted. That was it. To the Contemporary!

continued below...

MizMissy
06-03-2010, 11:22 PM
The remainder of the day:

Our Narcoossee’s reservations were for 7:30. We spent a little time relaxing in the room. DD sat on our patio and read her book, DS spent time exploring the grassy area between our room and the lagoon (or canal). DH also opened a nice bottle of cabernet for us to enjoy a glass (err…plastic cup) before dinner. We dressed and headed to dinner. However, the kids looked so great all dressed up. My little man looked so handsome in his khakis, button down shirt, belt and loafers. DD looked beautiful in her pretty dress and shrug with her Stuart Weitzman sandals (purchased at a super price at Marshall’s! I LOVE a bargain). So, I brought my bigger camera with us to dinner to take a few pictures outside the Contemporary before we headed to the monorail. The Grand Floridian is beautiful. So elegant. I wanted to try a different signature restaurant this trip and I knew I wanted to see GF, so I chose between Citrico’s and Narcoossee’s (sadly, no V&A option since we had the kids). I chose based on reviews on Intercot and the menus. However, I had NO IDEA that Narcoossee’s was located in the building that juts out over the water!! :party: What a gorgeous restaurant and an incredible view. We waited little while for our table … taking pictures outside … Sergio at the bar was also wonderful in pouring the kids their Shirley Temples and me a nice Hendricks martini. The kids chose DH’s drink for him – because they wanted the light cube that went in the drink. We were seated a great table next to a window and really had a wonderful dinner. Even after the long day, everyone was in the best mood and dinner was an enjoyable affair. I think both kids had Caesar salad to begin, DD ordered pasta marinara and DS mac and cheese. Not very imaginative kids meals. DH and I started with crab cakes and tuna appetizers to share. Both were good. I think DH had surf and turf and I chose the crab crusted halibut. Mine was delicious. It may have been the food, but I think when you add the atmosphere, it just puts it over the top. Before dessert, Wishes was about to begin. DH and I had also ordered a glass of wine with dinner. What a perfect part of the evening to gather our wine and our children and enjoy a fabulous showing of Wishes from the porch. No one does fireworks like Disney. I love the story and just when you think it’s over, another part begins. I think I may have enjoyed our view of Wishes from Narcoossee’s more than California Grill … maybe the CG balcony is too crowded?? However, the sunset from CG cannot be beat. Hmmm …. Do I have to choose a favorite? I think I need to experience both a couple dozen times before I choose. I really cannot recall what we chose for dessert, but I’m pretty sure it was wonderful. There was nothing close to disappointment in this meal. Aside from losing my earring, another fantastic day on our Disney vacation.

mouseketeer mom
06-04-2010, 06:34 AM
Oh, I'm so sorry about your earring. I can only imagine the pit in your stomach when it happened. Just awful.
Agreed about Narcoosees. Sounds like a wonderful day with your family. I love the way you write, I certainly relate to the way you think which make your reports a whole lot of fun for me!! Thanks, Missy!

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-04-2010, 08:15 AM
Sounds wonderful

MizMissy
06-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Oh, I'm I love the way you write, I certainly relate to the way you think which make your reports a whole lot of fun for me!! Thanks, Missy!

Thanks, Lisa! I felt the same way when reading your reports (while holding back my jealousy at how often you get to enjoy Disney!) I think we are kindred spirits. :mickey:

KylesMom
06-04-2010, 11:43 AM
Love the way you just changed the morning on a whim to squeeze in a few of your family favorites - nicely done!

Even though you were apprehensive about water park day, it sounds like it was an enjoyable time - untl the earring event. I'm so sorry that you lost something so dear to your heart. :(

Yes, WoD is overwhelming, to say the least. The Lego Store is DS' favorite place to hang out at DTD, & he usually is able to find at least one Star Wars set that he hasn't been able to find at home.

What a magical evening for your family, with everyone all snazzed up. I have to say, it sounds like the kids did really well this evening, especially since they were out in the water for several hours and at MK before that.

Another great day, Missy! :mickey:

faline
06-04-2010, 12:19 PM
I'm so sorry about your earrning! It would have been just a perfect day except for that!

DizNee143
06-04-2010, 12:52 PM
so sorry about your earring..
my hubby loves the lego store! lol..i married a big kid! lol..
dinner seemed really wonderful!! :mickey:

pdrlkr
06-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

BluewaterBrad
06-07-2010, 03:12 PM
Another great report. I dont think I could keep up with you guys!:mickey:

disneykid@hrt
06-07-2010, 09:54 PM
On our last trip I lost a diamond necklace pendant in either Epcot or Magic Kingdom. Sometime during that day my chain broke and I didn't notice. It does stink!! :( I never took mine off either. But ya know what, losing it there made it not quite as bad as losing it like at the grocery store or something. :blush:

yjgirl32
06-08-2010, 08:49 AM
OH that is so sad- losing something. I know how you feel- we just bought a house and was painting, fixing, moving items and I lost my diamond out of my ring. Glad to hear you were able to get past that and have a great day.