PDA

View Full Version : They just don't get it

ANG
06-02-2010, 07:40 PM
The in laws are coming with us on our upcoming DW trip. They've never been.

When we made our ADR at the 180 mark they thought DH and I were insane. We talk about it all the time and love planning our trip.

My in laws don't understand why we are are so obsessed. :blush: We want the most from out of our trips. They have no idea the possibilities that DW presents to them.

Anyone else think your Disney wacky?:mickey:

faline
06-02-2010, 08:10 PM
This is often true. Many folks look at me like I have two heads when we say our next vacation destination is Disney. The next response is often "Again?" Of course, this often comes from folks who vacation year in, and year out at the same beach house or mountain cabin and who never get tired of heading back one more time!

SallyMcQueen
06-02-2010, 08:13 PM
DH thinks I'm totally nuts. I told him once that I'd give up a trip to Vegas if we could go to Disney World. His big thing is the cost, which I agree is a bit much, but we really don't do anything else as far as vacations go.

Plus you get so much with WDW, amusement parks, shows, food, shopping, free transporation from the airport etc. Frankly I truly believe its one of the few places where you can immerse yourself in a whole other frame of mind. As far as I'm concerned its the happiest place on earth.

Dsnygirl
06-02-2010, 08:25 PM
My MiL thought I was nuts when I was planning the trip she joined us on... the ADR's, EMH, what parks when, the shows and times of fireworks & parades... she would laugh and roll her eyes and call me her Mouseketeer.

But let me tell you... when we had the best seats in the house for Illuminations, the best view of Wishes and great seating for all our meals... when we didn't have to race to get to everything because my "plan" allowed us to relax and go with the flow (however well researched that plan was beforehand, from all the tips I'd gained on here... :blush:) she no longer teased and honestly was so thankful for all the "behind the scenes" work we'd done before we got there.

So -- I bet your in-laws won't think it so odd once they get there and see everything there is to be experienced, and how smoothly you all get to do it -- I bet they'll be thrilled instead!! :thumbsup:

IrishMickey
06-02-2010, 08:46 PM
My In-laws had such a great time on their first trip to WDW with us that we are going again in DEC, I just hope I can create that much magic the second time around. The greatest thing is that I get to make the ADR's ( with input from my DH) and they enjoy having an "unofficial" tour guide, so relax and enjoy Disney your way and more than likely they will have the time of their lives. :mickey:

SingingLights
06-02-2010, 08:58 PM
My parents had never been to WDW before until they went with us about 8 years ago. They had been to Six Flags Over Texas many times with me and my siblings growing up but never been to a Disney Park. It wasn't what they said, it was the way they said it, like, "It's a theme park, right? or Are you sure we need to make plans this far out? or We need to be there how early?" But after arriving and see the parks, they loved it. My mother committed on WDW having a small atmosphere. They waited in every line, road "It's A Small World" at least 10 times, ate with gusto at Le Cellier and keep photos of the trip all over their house to this day. They get it now.

Ms. Mode
06-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Luckily my family love it too, but my friends and co-workers all think I'm crazy.

For me, WDW is the only place that my family can go where we are far enough away from work, friends and family so we can truelly relax. There's always something to do, and every trip is different...even though they are the same. :thumbsup:

Planning is my job, but I make sure they all take part so they have "ownership". What they think of as my "out of control" behavior now makes for a great trip later. :mickey:

BBrinkman
06-03-2010, 10:00 AM
My wife thought for the longest time she was marrying into a crazy family because of our love for all things Disney...esepcially WDW. But we she went with us for the first time 2 years ago (and we took our son for his first trip) she finally "got it" and hasn't been the same since. In fact, she's the one now asking "so when are we going again?"

I agree on the cost...that does make it hard to go too often (about once every 3 or 4 years for us). We're heading to Cali and Disneyland this summer just for something different and to get our Disney fix!

"And to think it all started with a mouse!"

Michelle15
06-03-2010, 02:21 PM
My DH and I are both Crazy about Disney:mickey: My parents joke all the time (but I think they are serious) that they will have to take our children on Vacation to visit other places than WDW.

Rekenna
06-03-2010, 05:51 PM
This is often true. Many folks look at me like I have two heads when we say our next vacation destination is Disney. The next response is often "Again?" Of course, this often comes from folks who vacation year in, and year out at the same beach house or mountain cabin and who never get tired of heading back one more time!

Amen!!!

DH thinks I'm totally nuts. I told him once that I'd give up a trip to Vegas if we could go to Disney World. His big thing is the cost, which I agree is a bit much, but we really don't do anything else as far as vacations go.

Plus you get so much with WDW, amusement parks, shows, food, shopping, free transporation from the airport etc. Frankly I truly believe its one of the few places where you can immerse yourself in a whole other frame of mind. As far as I'm concerned its the happiest place on earth.

DH also gives me the eye roll-we went to Vegas once, and while it was awesome even he said, and I quote, "I miss Disney!" Yet, I still get the blah, blah, blah from him. It is pricey, but I look for all the discounts I can. I have priced other resort type places and cannot find anything that has the quality of WDW for the price hands down.

My MiL thought I was nuts when I was planning the trip she joined us on... the ADR's, EMH, what parks when, the shows and times of fireworks & parades... she would laugh and roll her eyes and call me her Mouseketeer.

But let me tell you... when we had the best seats in the house for Illuminations, the best view of Wishes and great seating for all our meals... when we didn't have to race to get to everything because my "plan" allowed us to relax and go with the flow (however well researched that plan was beforehand, from all the tips I'd gained on here... :blush:) she no longer teased and honestly was so thankful for all the "behind the scenes" work we'd done before we got there.

So -- I bet your in-laws won't think it so odd once they get there and see everything there is to be experienced, and how smoothly you all get to do it -- I bet they'll be thrilled instead!! :thumbsup:

My sister went with us for the first time last year. She too was a doubter. As we were leaving MK for the last time she told me how awesome her vacation was, how she got to see everything she had wanted and how well planned it all was. Thank you.

eeyorepoohfan
06-03-2010, 06:49 PM
:mickey:I've had many friends tell me that I may be addicted to Disney. I just tell them I am very well educated on things Disney, especially the parks (of course I'm still learning new things)!!! But I really get a kick out of it when they come around and ask for advice on taking a Disney trip! I talk about our Dec 2009 trip all of the time. So now I've put the bug in other people's ears about how awesome WDW is and now they are looking into it! They always thought it would be so expensive. But once I show them some various options (staying on WDW property of course ;) ) they are surprised that the cost isn't higher. I think people assume that Disney is really really expensive. I always thell them it can be, but there are ways to save money and still have a great trip! I have friends who still haven't been to any Disney park, but trust me, I'm working on them so they can experience the magic too! :thumbsup: I grew up in a "Disney family" with many trips to Disneyland and Disney World throughout my life. I have since converted my hubby to loving WDW and that is the only place he is considering taking a vacation too now! :cloud9:

BluewaterBrad
06-06-2010, 05:42 PM
My name is Bluewater............... I am an addict. Rehab is for quitters!!!!!!:mickey:

ANG
06-06-2010, 07:39 PM
Today O mentioned how much I'm looking forward to attended Wishes.

MIL says, "But I thought we were gonna see them from our room? Why go out with the crowds?"

(We're staying at BLT) Well, I'M gonna go see the real show too. The view from the balcony will be cool I'm sure, but nothing beats standing under the castle.

snowblack
07-30-2011, 07:39 PM
My mom thinks my sisters and I are crazy because we are planning our trip for August 2012. My co workers say to me all the time don't you want to go some where else? Don't you get tired of it? Ummm NO I wish I could afford to go every year. We try and go every other year. It takes me a year to plan ahead ad save up for it.:mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
07-30-2011, 08:56 PM
The first time my SIL and her family were going to WDW they asked me for advice. I did get the occasional "look" when talking to them about things. They did, however, want to know "everything" because this would be there one and only trip, you know, before the kids "outgrow the characters". Even when they looked at me funny, or I knew they thought I'd lost my mind, I'd just try to remember that this was their trip and I wasn't going to force anything on them.

Well that was probably 7 years ago and they've been back 5 times since! They, like most people, had no idea what WDW was all about. They truly thought it was just a bunch of rides and some characters. They had no idea how great the shows, parades, and fireworks were. They had no idea they'd fall in love with all the places to eat and the different resorts.

I think most people who don't get it have never been. And for those who have been and still don't get it....I say that's less people trying to get ADRs, or in line for the rides!

sixshot19
07-31-2011, 01:34 AM
My family thinks I'm Disney nuts. People at work call me Mickey.

And my wife who is super Disney nuts even thinks I'm nuts.

I tell everyone, I'm the only sane one, their all nuts.

:mickey:

tinksmom02
08-01-2011, 07:29 PM
I'm pretty sure my brother has no idea what he's in for, and they're planning on coming with us in November. I'm handling all the ADRs and planning and stuff. He's said to me that he thinks it's a waste of money because his kids (4 & almost 3) won't remember the trip. :confused: Um, they might (my daughter still won't go on Snow White because of our first trip when she was 26 months)! And even if they don't, HE will, and those memories will be precious! His kids are the PERFECT age to take to WDW.

So I'm hoping, of course, that they end up making the journey with us, and that they'll "get it." Oh, and that they'll thank me for all the work I've put into this trip. Hey, one can dream, right? ;)

darthmacho
08-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Most people I know don't get it, but a few do.

Get it: :mickey:

Don't get it: :hide:

The most important thing to me, however, was that my kids get it!

AHOTE
08-01-2011, 11:03 PM
I used to get the, "You're going to WDW again" remark all the time from family and friends. A few people at work used to refer to me as Mickey. When I won a 6 night 7 day trip at my work holiday party no one year was surprised but me. Now I get, "When are you going this year? We'd like to get reservations at the same time" I guess it just takes some people longer to catch on than others...After going to WDW since 1971 I still can't get my DB & SIL to go, they are tied to the same beach house in NJ. :shrug:

disneymomma2010
08-02-2011, 12:03 AM
My family and friends all think im crazy. Thats why I go to intercot, everyone feels the same way I do!

Just a few weeks ago I sold my inlaws on a wdw trip! I was impressed with myself. :D They were dead set on spending the whole week at the beach, but I talked them into spending four nights at disney and then going to the beach!

wdwaggie
08-02-2011, 09:59 AM
As my signature states...From the outside looking in, you can't understand it. From the inside looking out you can't explain it.

My DW thought I was infected also, until her first trip, the planning and the reservations and the spreadsheet folded away in my pocket and the pennys and quarters in old film containers for the pressed machines... She now is the first to offer my services to anyone she runs into that might be going to WDW, I help them plan their trips too!!

Once my D Grandaughter was born, I vowed to be the first to take her to WDW.

My 40th birthday is next month and my DW surprised the heck out of me by telling me she sees how much I love WDW and that she couldn't think of any place better to take me that would make me any happier:cloud9::thumbsup:

Tygger7
08-02-2011, 10:21 AM
As my signature states...From the outside looking in, you can't understand it. From the inside looking out you can't explain it.

I LOVE that quote!!! Sums it up perfectly. Now excuse my while I grab my Disney purse and lunchbox & go eat lunch (yes, I'm almost 42)

brivers222
08-02-2011, 11:13 AM
My fiancee, while she is getting more into the spirit after our last trip, thinks i am totally nuts.

I told her you plan the wedding and I will plan the honeymoon.... both feel the other is equally insane for the amount of planning. I keep ribbing her, you know at least my plans are for longer than 7 hours ;) haha, i know, i know... i am involved in the wedding planning as well!

but what she will find out is that because of my planning 180+ days in advance i have strategically mapped out all of our dining reservations and threw in some "fun" stuff for her as well. Like lets say because i got my ADRs early i found a bit of time to add in a Fort Wilderness Sleigh Ride before our Dinner at the California Grill one night.

Now with the possibilty of free dining being offered for the last part of our trip I have us starting at the GF (theme park view) and on the day we switch hotels I have her getting a Swedish Message (with head, shoulder, arms add-on) while I go and check into Boardwalk.

So yeah i might be crazy, but she is surely going to benefit from it LOL :number1:

Disney Doll
08-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Oh yes. I have several friends planning their first trips. I want to be helpful and give advice when asked, but I don't want to be pushy. It's hard to convince people that you really must do some advanced planning to have a successful Disney vacation.

dizneydeb22
08-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Hi, My name is Debbie, and I am a Disney addict. Fortunately my DH is an enabler!! We are both Disney nuts and have been told as much. However, the same people that call us nuts are the very same people that want to hitchhike with us on trips or call me to help them plan theirs. I never throw it in their faces, as it's what I love to do. My DH and I just look at each and smile! Our next 'fix' is in 11 days and we aleady have $$ set aside for our bounceback offer and are on a waiting list for the Old Key West vacation club! We are traveling with our nephews and their girlfriends(newbies). They said they wanted their first trip to be with someone who knows Disney. My nephews(20,20, and 19) still go with us every year and we love it!! Disney addicts are people too!!:mickey: