PDA

View Full Version : Free Dining, Minimal dining reservations

jefftm
06-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Hi we are family of 5 and have reservations for the end of August that includes free dining(8 nights). As of right now we only have sit down reservations for about 3 restaurants. I do not feel like planning anymore. Is walk up seating out of the question while free dining is going on? We can be somewhat flexible where we eat but would still like try some nice places. Just let me know if I am really wrong by not having everyday planned. Thanks Jeff

KylesMom
06-02-2010, 03:44 PM
I do not feel like planning anymore. Is walk up seating out of the question while free dining is going on? In a nutshell, pretty much. Obviously the Free Dining promotion is very popular, and if you do not schedule ADRs, you may be hard-pressed to use all your credits - or you may be forced to eat at places you didn't really want to dine at. Obviously, the nicer (and more expensive) restaurant ADRs will go first, as folks want to get as much "bang for their buck" as possible. I would suggest that you enlist the assistance of a few of your family members - or INTERCOT members - to help you out in planning! Other times of the year, you may be able to get away with it if you were flexible in your times & dates, but not with "Free" dining offered.

DizneyRox
06-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Walk ups are pretty much out of the question on most TS locations these days. Before the DDP, there were just a couple.

If you want to eat, you need to make reservations. If you're unsure where, make multiples and cancel ones you don't need/want. "Free" DDP isn't really free, so you are paying for credits you have a good chance of not being able to use.

While it may not be your favorite way of vacationing, it's the reality now at WDW. You need to know what you'll be in the mood for 180 days in advance.

Ms. Mode
06-03-2010, 08:48 AM
You could call and find out the availablity of some of your favorite places, that will give you an idea of what you're looking at 3 months out. I imagine it will be filled up even at this time. Good luck:thumbsup:

magicofdisney
06-03-2010, 10:00 AM
With a small group it's much easier to do walk-up dining. A couple of years ago, during Free Dining, some friends of ours (family of 3) walked up at Crystal Palace and were seated within 20min (at around 2:00pm).

Last year my mom and aunt had a 9:00pm reservation at 'Ohana (during Free Dining). They decided they didn't want to eat that late so they headed over around 6:30 and were seated within about 30min. This may have been possible because they already had the ressies but I believe it was primarily due to the small group size.

KAT1811
06-03-2010, 11:35 AM
As all the pp stated walking up anywhere good during free dining is almost impossible. I'm sure if you throw out your already chosen dining plans along with what you like to eat those of us here could help you plan the rest of your dining. You can make ADRs and then change them/cancel them if you change your mind later on. It is best to have something planned so that you don't let your credits go to waste.

Tygger7
06-03-2010, 12:41 PM
I'll echo what the others have said....for a party of 5, I wouldn't risk not making ADR's. Even while we were at WDW a couple of weeks ago, there was only 1 instance where walk-ups were accomodated. All of the other people trying to get walk ups were turned away.

I do have a suggestion...to minimize the number of ADR's you have to book, maybe consider making a couple of 2 TS credit meals. Then, you can use QS on the days you don't have ADR's (or you can pay for a QS out of pocket). We did this and it ended up working out great.

renecat
06-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Have to agree with everyone else. You need to make ADR's. Many years ago even before the dinning plan my sister-in-law and her family came up from clearwater to do two days with us. I ask her to decide where she wanted to go so I could make reservations for those evenings. Well she never got back to me until we met in Florida. She wanted to go to MK the first day and Epcot the second day. The morning we arrived in the MK I went straight to make dinning reservations and couldn't get anything I wanted. I was even willing to leave the park and go to one of the resorts but they were booked. Needless to say we did counter service. The second night I did get ADR's in Mexico. Hope you at least take advantage of booking you TS meals.

alpro2
06-04-2010, 12:16 PM
At this point, you might have better luck using your TS credits for a late lunch, then using your CS at night. Just a thought.

BowTie7
06-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Most of the theme park restaurants, character meals and buffets will be difficult without an ADR, but you may be able to walk up (or call at the last minute) for some of the hotel restaurants. Last September, I remember the Captains Grill at the Yacht Club (near Epcot's International gateway) not being full at all. This may be a way to have a relaxing evening meal without having to plan the day around a meal time.

forever a child
06-04-2010, 10:15 PM
During our May trip we we able to do TS walk ups at Sci Fi, Rainforest Cafe at AK, and Tony's. We cancelled our ressies at Boma because we were having too much fun at MK and didn't want to leave. So we went to Tony's. We first went to Guest Services and they said Tony's was booked but that we should check directly at Tony's. So we walked to Tony's and they told us that they always accept walk ins. But we were only a party of 2. I would never chance it with a party of 5. I also realize that Tony's is not as popular as many other Disney TS restaurants either.;)

onjbj
06-07-2010, 03:27 PM
At this point, you might have better luck using your TS credits for a late lunch, then using your CS at night. Just a thought.

Interesting idea... I wouldn't have thought of that myself, but I think I may do that myself. Great to be able to get out of the hot sun, sit in the middle of the day. If you are going to have to use a CS anyway, why not use it for dinner.