PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter Opening and Its Effect on Disney World Parks

JoDisney
06-02-2010, 12:27 PM
My AAA travel agent said the uproar concerning Harry Potter is enormous. How do you think it will effect the Disney World Parks this Summer?

biodtl
06-02-2010, 12:39 PM
I don't think it's going to have a HUGE effect on WDW. I really don't think there will be a ton of people who forgo a WDW trip to go to Univeral.

I think instead, that people will either extend their WDW trip to visit Universal for a day or two. Or maybe replace a couple WDW days with Universal days, but not skip WDW completely.

disneykid@hrt
06-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Yeah we're adding 2 days to our trip to go check it out. (Against MY will, let me say...:gangster::rant:) But I would never skip Disney.

DizneyRox
06-02-2010, 12:55 PM
It won't have a negative effect... If anything, I bet you see attendence up a little this year at WDW. Not huge, but noticable.

Laughin' place
06-02-2010, 01:13 PM
I think there might be a slight increase in WDW attendance, as those who might not ordinarily go to Orlando come down for Potter, and then go to see WDW.
I think the greater impact will be long term.
The Potter "World/Park/Land" will end up being a huge disappointment and PR nightmare. Sounds like the E ticket ride will be great, but there are only tow other rides, and they are old rides in new paint and dress. While most press reports (and Universal pub) talk about a "new theme park", most of those who go will (in my opinion) feel misled and disappointed. There are three rides (one of which is the kiddie coaster coming to a county fair or parking lot near you this summer), some re-purposed shops, etc -- to many, this does not a park, land or World make. I predict that many will feel misled by Universal, and that WDW will only gain in prestige and attendance after the wool is removed from guests' eyes.

MaxPower
06-02-2010, 01:26 PM
I agree with the post above.

There will be HUGE interest in Harry Potter & Universal initially.

However, the general public is not as well-versed in the Orlando theme parks as the people here on Intercot.

The "Wizarding World of Harry Potter" in reality is a SMALL section of Islands of Adventure. I think that right out of the gate, we will be hearing about how crowded it is in Harry Potter's world.

There is basically one attraction. I hear it is fantastic - but I'm curious if it will make visitors plan Universal as part of each Orlando vacation .

The marketing makes people think that the Harry Potter section is huge with multiple attractions. When people get there and find massive crowds waiting for one attraction and several small shops, there may be more negative reaction than positive.

dobby2010
06-02-2010, 02:16 PM
I do think you will see an increase in visitors for this year, while the attraction is new. I know my family would not be coming down if it wasnt for the Harry Potter opening. I think a lot of potter fans like us will come down because of this new land and then extend our stay to visit disney while in the area. Though I don't think this will last more than the year, after the excitement has worn off.

elmjimmlm
06-02-2010, 03:08 PM
I hope it does the opening week... That's the week we will be there and I could go for some low wait times and the parks empty... :thedolls:

Spartan_Jeff
06-02-2010, 03:17 PM
I believe a family coming to WDW for a week and skipping a day at WDW and going to Universal instead is a big deal for Disney. Those are lost dollars being spent elsewhere on food, drinks, and souvineers.
I don't know how many people will switch from a Disney vacation to a Universal vacation, but every dollar lost to Universal has to be a concern.

joonyer
06-02-2010, 03:29 PM
I agree with the post above.

There will be HUGE interest in Harry Potter & Universal initially.

However, the general public is not as well-versed in the Orlando theme parks as the people here on Intercot.

The "Wizarding World of Harry Potter" in reality is a SMALL section of Islands of Adventure. I think that right out of the gate, we will be hearing about how crowded it is in Harry Potter's world.

There is basically one attraction. I hear it is fantastic - but I'm curious if it will make visitors plan Universal as part of each Orlando vacation .

The marketing makes people think that the Harry Potter section is huge with multiple attractions. When people get there and find massive crowds waiting for one attraction and several small shops, there may be more negative reaction than positive.

There is one NEW attraction at the WWoHP, but there are 2 other coasters that were Already at IOA as part of the Lost Continent that have been re-themed to fit the HP theme. And the shops are a re-creation of the village of Hogsmeade, which will be almost an attraction unto itself. (Think of Main Street USA as it used to be, before it was turned into one long store.)

Still it is a small area, much like one of the Lands at MK. It takes up about half of the former Lost Continent Island. The rest of Lost Continent is still there.

lightyearfan
06-02-2010, 03:43 PM
if anything i think that it will increase attendance. people who don't normally go to WDW but are going to Universal, will say hey were here lets goto WDW. me and dw are going to universal during our week stay in September, just to break up our routine a little. the last time we went to Universal was back in 95+96, and we've had no desire to go back. since the WWoHP will be new and me and dw like HP, thats what is getting us back to UNiversal, and just a note that on the day that we goto Universal me and dw will be going to MNNSHP that same night. so it will be Universal by day MK by night for a wonderfully put together MNNSHP

victor

FutureCorpsFan
06-02-2010, 03:50 PM
We've been going regularly since 2000. I have yet to make it to Universal. Just always seem to find some excuse not to go. Perhaps when our son (6) gets a little older. The price of tickets really dosent help much either.

DizneyRox
06-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Universal just isn't as much of a destination as WDW. Generally speaking, people go to Orlando for WDW. Maybe try to kill two birds with one stone, but those people think that "WDW" is a 4 day park, leave one day for Universal, and one day for SeaWorld. And on the seventh day they fly home.

For those, it's no harm no foul for Disney...

For those coming to Orlando for Universal, it's generally not a week's vacation so they will come to WDW in some capacity as well. Bonus for Disney!

I admit that I think IoA is the Disney parks that wasn't. It contains probably three of my top 5 rides in Orlando. But you know, I haven't been to Universal since about 2001. Just haven't gotten around to it. HP ain't getting me there this summer either.

I keep meaning to get back, I have old tickets burning a hole in my pocket, but my next trip of two weeks is quickly approaching and I'l still adding on restaurants at WDW to eat and making lists of things I need to do at WDW.

cetacean01
06-02-2010, 04:16 PM
While my family truly LOVES WDW.....this trip is specifically to check out WWoHP. We are well aware of what it entails......but Disney has been off its game for quite some time. It is time for them to step it up, fix what is broken, and improve upon what is not. They are falling behind on attractions.....focusing far too much on expanding in other countries and such. It is time for them to answer this with an improvement.......they should start with the studios.

divinedi
06-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Although we've loved all the HP books, and the movies too, we don't have much desire to visit the new HP park, from any previews I've seen, it doesn't look that fascinating and I don'tlike roller coasters, so someday in the future if we decide to go to US, then we'll do it then.

Gator
06-02-2010, 04:33 PM
My guess is that you'll see attendance drop slightly at DHS and AK. People on a trip will always hit MK and usually Epcot, but they'll skip the other two in order to catch a day or two at Universal.

azcavalier
06-03-2010, 10:35 AM
I believe a family coming to WDW for a week and skipping a day at WDW and going to Universal instead is a big deal for Disney. Those are lost dollars being spent elsewhere on food, drinks, and souvineers.
I don't know how many people will switch from a Disney vacation to a Universal vacation, but every dollar lost to Universal has to be a concern.

But on the other hand, there are families that would not have even made the trip to WDW otherwise that now will be coming to see the new WWoHP and see WDW at the same time. So that's increased revenue. I know of one coming from Utah that wouldn't have made the trip if it weren't for the interest in Harry Potter. But since they're going to Orlando, they're going to "Do it right" and stay on Disney Property, only visiting Universal for a day or two.

Yeah, I don't think it will have much of an impact at all, to be honest.

Imagineer1981
06-03-2010, 11:50 AM
While my family truly LOVES WDW.....this trip is specifically to check out WWoHP. We are well aware of what it entails......but Disney has been off its game for quite some time. It is time for them to step it up, fix what is broken, and improve upon what is not. They are falling behind on attractions.....focusing far too much on expanding in other countries and such. It is time for them to answer this with an improvement.......they should start with the studios.

I would agree with this in the past, but Disney seems to be turning a page. The fantasyland expansion is a HUGE investment in the parks as well as the Star Tours refurb at DHS. They are actively trying to fix the Yeti and testing new interactive character experiences. I am hopeful that they will continue this path into the next few years

lightyearfan
06-03-2010, 12:38 PM

well im sorry but i have to disagree with ya on this one, WDW is doing allot of changes and they have over the years refurbed allot of attractions at each park. the rebuiding of fantasy land will be huge when its done, the enhacements made to haunted mansion, pirates, tiki room, just to name a few, DHS has imho one of the newest best rides ever in toy story mania, they've changed the drops in tot, american idol is a very fun attraction and i for 1 don't watch the tv show, epcot has had there fair of changes as well, not going to name them all, i mean these rides or attractions is what makes WDW to be WDW, they can't change every single ride and the ones that they have changed or refurbed are classic rides which i wouldn't want to see leave, universal is nice but it doesnt hold a match to WDW, there rides are very short in duration, i mean we waited over 2 hrs for jaws and the whole ride is about 1 min if that. now to be fare we haven't been back to universal since 96 and we are going to visit this Sept strictly for HP, we'll see what happens.

victor

BrerGnat
06-03-2010, 02:27 PM
I would agree with this in the past, but Disney seems to be turning a page. The fantasyland expansion is a HUGE investment in the parks as well as the Star Tours refurb at DHS. They are actively trying to fix the Yeti and testing new interactive character experiences. I am hopeful that they will continue this path into the next few years

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how this is any different (or better) than what Universal did with the Harry Potter area?

Sure, the Fantasyland refurb is very cool. BUT, it's still essentially the same thing! It is a re-theme of a land currently in existence. At the end of it all, there will be ONE new attraction (Little Mermaid). There will be THREE "rethemed" attractions--Dumbo, Kiddie Coaster, and Carousel. There will be additional "shops and eateries" added. Plus, a bunch of character meet areas (albeit well themed, they are still just that). I'm sure it will look fantastic. I'm sure it will be a lot of fun. And, I'm SURE it will bring in people by the droves to see it. Just like the WWOHP.

Also, fixing the Yeti doesn't count as a "check on the board" for Disney. It's sad that the Yeti is in its current state to begin with, and MORE sad that it's been that way for so long...

Ditto the Star Tours re-do. That should have been done a LONG time ago. Like, 5 or more years ago, considering they are primarily using the pod race scene from a movie that came out in 2000.... Again, nothing more than a re-theme.

I believe the WWOHP will affect Disney's bottom line in the short term. In fact, when I get to finally go back to IOA to see this, I think we will be staying on property for a couple nights, in order to get the front of the line priviledges for those parks while we are there. So, yeah, that's money Disney is losing...and I bet there are MANY more like it.

joonyer
06-03-2010, 05:30 PM
well im sorry but i have to disagree with ya on this one, WDW is doing allot of changes and they have over the years refurbed allot of attractions at each park. . . . . universal is nice but it doesnt hold a match to WDW, there rides are very short in duration, i mean we waited over 2 hrs for jaws and the whole ride is about 1 min if that. now to be fare we haven't been back to universal since 96 and we are going to visit this Sept strictly for HP, we'll see what happens.

Don't get me wrong, I love WDW, but if you haven't been to Universal since 1996, then you haven't ridden "Revenge of the Mummy" or Spiderman, and those are two attractions that are as good or better than anything WDW has to offer in the indoor dark ride category. And I think that the Forbidden Journey will top both of those. And Hollywood Rip-Ride & Rockit is a brand new coaster that rivals RnRC, (outdoors but with better sound and purchasable ride video available) No, Universal doesn't match the overall in-depth experience as the 4 WDW parks and resorts, you'd be hard pressed to spend a week there without repeating attraction over and over, unlike WDW where a week is barely enough. But that doesn't mean that the Fantasyland re-do at MY will keep WDW ahead in the game of state-of-the-art attractions. They are behind and struggling to keep up in that department.

And I have to agree that "Jaws" is not worth a 2 hour wait. But the ride actually lasts about 5 minutes, not just one.

Pirate Granny
06-03-2010, 07:42 PM
In all the years I've been going to Disney, only once did we take a day and go to Universal. We went to the original park got there at 9am and were done by 3pm...no lines...to be fair, I believe the new park had just opened, but I'm not a fan of coasters so we stuck with the original. NOW...I am going to Universal and taking my three adult daughters...we are all HP fans...and we will be staying three nights and have the HP Package...now, I expect to have plenty of time to just relax around the pool and have a nice vaca...BUT to be fair, I couldn't go to Orlando without going to Disney, SO...we arrive on Friday and will stay for the MNSSHP (or I think we will) on Saturday night, and take a cab over to Universal for our three night stay after the party...WHOHOO...my 999 posting...
:pirate:

Fastpasssteve
06-04-2010, 02:36 AM
I must say that I, too, was tempted to go over and see Harry Potterland or whatever...but when I get off the airplane in Orlando, I just want to get on Disney's Magical Express and get on Disney Property as soon as possible. When I get to WDW, I don't want to leave that immersive experience...I want to feel it all around me. I don't want to leave that magical, protective bubble...until that horrible day when I have to get back on that bus and fly away. The idea of leaving Disney property seems unthinkable to me.

TikiLounger
06-04-2010, 09:13 AM
My kids and I are HUGE Harry Potter fans (my husband likes all the magic of HP, but he not as crazily obsessed as the rest of us). That being said, my daughter and I are leaving for home from our upcoming Disney trip on the day that HP opens. When I asked if she wanted to try and extend our trip to take in the Wizarding World, she said, "Nah, I'm fine with just Disney". I'm sure that, at some point in the future, we'll check out the new attraction but really, nothing will ever compare to Disney World for us. We saw the travelling exhibit of all the props and "magic" of Harry Potter in Boston this past fall. It was so interesting and, well, cool. I guess that was a good enough "fix" for us and it will last us a while. Also, I am hoping that, since we'll be in Disney the week of the HP opening, park attendance will be down and we'll have the place all to ourselves. :secret: Oh, and I agree with the poster before me. I can't imagine spending time in Disney World and then leaving the property to take in another park. Never! If we ever do go to HP, we'll have to skip Disney and just stay in Universal...maybe take in Sea World or Cape Canaveral if Universal isn't enough to sustain a whole vacation.

lightyearfan
06-04-2010, 10:54 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love WDW, but if you haven't been to Universal since 1996, then you haven't ridden "Revenge of the Mummy" or Spiderman, and those are two attractions that are as good or better than anything WDW has to offer in the indoor dark ride category. No, Universal doesn't match the overall in-depth experience as the 4 WDW parks and resorts, you'd be hard pressed to spend a week there without repeating attraction over and over, unlike WDW where a week is barely enough. But that doesn't mean that the Fantasyland re-do at MY will keep WDW ahead in the game of state-of-the-art attractions. They are behind and struggling to keep up in that department.

And I have to agree that "Jaws" is not worth a 2 hour wait. But the ride actually lasts about 5 minutes, not just one.

you make some good points but to me and dw the whole atmosphere and treatment that you get WDW is second to none, sometimes it's not just about the rides, and since i get motion sickness and can't do allot of the coaster and dark rides anyway, this doesn't mean that i still cant enjoy myself, for the most part i can do pretty much everything at WDW, and not sure if people know this but the in the WWOHP 2 out of the 3 rides that they'll have are refurbed rides from the failed lost continent area of the park, so lets keep that in mind, and like i stated me and dw are looking forward going to UNiversal in Sept. and i will give a honest review of the parks when i get back. as far as jaws is concerned maybe they updated or made it longer but no way was it a 5 min ride back in 96 , if it was that was the fastes 5 minutes of my life

victor

Goes4FastPass
06-04-2010, 03:57 PM
... "Revenge of the Mummy" or Spiderman, and those are two attractions that are as good or better than anything WDW has to offer ...
That is true and I believe innovations at Universal Orlando are good for Central Florida tourism as a whole both as attractions and for keeping WDW on its toes.

SurferStitch
06-04-2010, 08:28 PM
It won't have a negative effect... If anything, I bet you see attendence up a little this year at WDW. Not huge, but noticable.

Yep... DH and I thought the same thing. People might be more interested in a Florida trip with HP opening, and would more than likely do WDW, too.

Mad About Mickey
06-05-2010, 03:28 PM
I think there will be an increase in attendence but some shortening of stays. We usually wait 2 to 3 years between trips to WDW and stay 8 days but we are going back early to check out WWOHP. So we will be going back at a time we usualy would not go down but we will only be at WDW for 5 days to spend 3 at US.

I must admit we are also going down early to let our DD 4 experience Fantsyland before the remodeling becomes too invasive. I must say we haven't been to US since 05 and are looking forward to checking out Simpsons, Rip Roaring Rocket, and the WWOHP. DD 13 is also psyched to ride Hulk, Mummy, Spiderman, and Dueling Dragons which she was too short to ride back in 05.

I think this year will be a boost to both WDW and US. But when the novelty of WWOHP and the Fantasyland remodeling intensifies next year both parks may see a dip in attendence offsetting this years gains.

JabberJaws
06-07-2010, 10:15 AM
The area looks amazingly well-themed, but I think you will see some MAJOR backlash after the immense opening. Early reviews have said the following: "The land is amazing, but A LOT smaller and more cramped than they thought." Word is that once it opens full-steam and the summer crowds kick in, the place will be a madhouse. Part of the detailed theming is the intimate design of the land/shops/rides and reportedly this will create a "perfect storm" of sorts when mixed w/ summer crowds.

Expect 1-3 hour waits for the big ride, and bumper to bumper, wall-to-wall people in each shop, eatery, etc.

I think that this is one case where the general confusion of people thinking it is a whole park unto itself will leave a sour-taste in people's mouths after the fact.

That being said, I want to go check it out myself so who knows!

JabberJaws
06-07-2010, 10:55 AM
I have to say,, while Uni does have some rides that are up there with Disney rides (Spiderman, Jurassic Park River Adventure, Mummy, presumably the new Harry Potter ride), the reason you don't see disney adding new rides every year is simply this.

For Universal (despite the few hotels there) it is pretty much all about the rides. That drives their attendance and therefore their profit.

For Disney, it is a huge, world-class resort. With the amount of hotels, restaurants, entertainment, etc. they have in addition to the rides in the parks, they have A LOT more that drives attendance and revenue than just rides.

Think about it, when mostly all you have are some rides (City Walk doesn't count as those are mostly 3rd party vendors who manage themselves. Also, the UO hotels are nice but not huge revenue streams for the parks), then you can focus a lot more capital on new and improved attractions. When you are diverse as the WDW resort, you have to diversify your capital expenditures, it is that simple.

Disney looks at what drives their revenue, and they put money into that. If they feel that adding a new value resort with family suites will boost revenue, they will do that (new animation hotel). If they think that adding a new DVC resort (building onto DAK lodge) will boost revenue, they will do that. If they think that adding a new e-ticket attraction will boost revenue (EE at DAK) they will do that.

Though UO is a big competitor to the WDW parks, it isn't a big competitor to the WDW resort, and the WDW resort makes a lot of money off of the "outside the parks" sections of the resort.

Disneyglamour
06-09-2010, 10:02 AM
From what I understand from people who have already experienced the new WWOHP during its "soft openings", people are impressed with the new Forbidden Journey ride but it does not stay open long because it keeps having technical difficulties. The line for the ride goes fast but when the ride breaks down, it takes 45min to an hour to get it back up and running again. If this continues to be the case, they'll be looking at LOOOONG wait times when the land finally opens, which will be a turn off for some people.