PDA

View Full Version : We have to skip our annual trip.....

tink2006
06-02-2010, 10:39 AM
We have been going to Disney every year since our DS17 was 2. The end of school was extended due to snow days, there are college visits (he is going to be a senior next year), soccer camps, science research and a summer job. Long story short, no time for Disney :pout: I always knew, in the back of my mind, that this would happen....Our DS is growing up. I am very proud of him and excited to help him plan for his future. However, did it have to happen so soon :confused:

My DH and I have been tossing around the idea of going for a short trip in August, just the two of us. DS heard us talking and was a little disappointed...Not sure if we want to do that to him just yet. I think he would go this summer if he did not have such a busy schedule.

There is always next time, whenever that may be.......

afowl1017
06-02-2010, 10:56 AM
I know it was hard when my parents started to go on vacations alone...boy did I want to go to but I had college and they deserved having a vacation after years of raising their two kids. So IMO go have fun just bring him back something he will love and maybe go together when the time is right for a big celebration....becoming a SENIOR, Graduation, going off to college. There is a lot to celebrate and lots more memories to make! :mickey:

diz_girl
06-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Sorry to hear that. Maybe next year you can take your son again after he graduates. Also, once he is in college, you might be able to take him on trips during less-crowded times of year. My college always had Christmas break from just before Christmas through mid-January. Early January is a great time to visit WDW. Yes, it may be a little cold, but you can walk on most rides. We also let out for the summer by the second week of May, which is also not quite as hot, humid and crowded as summer. Each college is different, but you might luck out.

Maybe it's not a good idea that you go off on your own in August. It probably would hurt him. You'll have plenty of time for your own trips when he away at college.

brownie
06-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Bummer! Perhaps a short trip for everyone would be better than no trip at all.

Disneymom4ever
06-02-2010, 12:16 PM
I completely understand! My DS is also 17, and a senior next year. He wants a job this summer, and we too, need to tour colleges.Isn't it amazing how fast this happened?! Part of me is so sad, but so proud at the same time. I'm actually planning a trip at Christmas break, which perhaps could be an option for you? Good luck with everything, and don't worry, Disney will always be there when you're ready. :mickey:

Ms. Mode
06-02-2010, 12:41 PM
Also, once he is in college, you might be able to take him on trips during less-crowded times of year. Early January is a great time to visit WDW. Yes, it may be a little cold, but you can walk on most rides.

When my DH and I discussed going to WDW without our DD last year she was very upset. That's why we went for New Year's this year during her semester break, and yes, it was very cold! But, we had the most wonderful time and the crowds were less than we had ever seen. We plan to go again this New Year's. :thumbsup:

I guess she's with us on vacation until she graduates college...that's ok....I love our family vacations. :mickey:

retiredfigment
06-02-2010, 12:54 PM
We went to Disney every other year or so until my DD and DS were in High school. When DD was senior, I remember walking around the park thinking it would be a long time until we went again. But magically something happened and we went again...and again. My DS is an adult now, and has no interest in going, but my DS who is all grown up and living on her own still loves to go with me. Once you 'hook' your kids they will always want to go back:) As a previous poster wrote, try for Christmas

BluewaterBrad
06-02-2010, 03:56 PM
That happened to me also. Varsity football, dances, student Gov. etc. You will be busy!!:mickey:

tink2006
06-03-2010, 09:34 PM
Thanks everybody...Some good suggestions. I am hoping that next summer we can make it back. I had not thought about the college academic schedule being slightly different - less crowds :mickey: :cloud9: I would love to see Disney during christmas but we go to Puerto Rico every year during the holidays. I think we have decided not to go in August by ourselves. I don't think DS is ready for us to go our happy place without him. Alas, another pincode to waste :(