PDA

View Full Version : I Pod Touch

rhonary
06-01-2010, 12:50 PM
We're thinking of getting an 8G I Pod Touch before we head to WDW in August...can you download APS for Disney for ride wait times...show times ect? If not there will be no need for us to get one bfore we go to Disney. Thanx for any input!

DizneyRox
06-01-2010, 01:27 PM
You will need Internet access (WiFi or 3G) in order to get updates, and since there is no public WiFi in the parks, it won't work for you.

An iPhone will work, WalMart just lowered the 3GS down to $97 with a contract, which is a STEAL! But it's not stolen!

Polynesian Dweller
06-01-2010, 01:31 PM
There are several such apps that work on the itouch. Park hours/showtimes can be downloaded the day before you leave and will be accurate for the week.

However, wait times require a wifi connection to work properly and there is no public wifi in the theme parks so the itouch won't be useful for that.

Widows Son
06-01-2010, 01:54 PM
My family & I just returned from WDW on this past Sunday.

Since we drive from the Northeast we carry our fair share of portable devices, IPODS, IPADS, DSI, Cellphones etc Deciding what was valuable to carry into the park became a no brainer. A cell phone with the disney/verizon app offerred real time information, like rides closing due to weather, wait times fast pass and so on.

Having said that past WDW the IPOD Touch/IPAD are massively useful devices for traveling but as someone else in the thread said wifi access is required.

TikiGoddess
06-01-2010, 02:52 PM
I have an ipod touch and use apps like Lines to check on waits while I am home... makes me feel like I'm there!

Anyway -- is there any company out there that you could get a mobile hotspot for an ipod touch, to bring with you in the parks?

I assume it would be some sort of data plan...

Kathy

ANG
06-01-2010, 03:39 PM
That would be pretty awesome. We don't use Verizon so we don't have the cell phone options

DizneyRox
06-01-2010, 04:57 PM
I have an ipod touch and use apps like Lines to check on waits while I am home... makes me feel like I'm there!

Anyway -- is there any company out there that you could get a mobile hotspot for an ipod touch, to bring with you in the parks?

I assume it would be some sort of data plan...

Kathy
My iPhone does that. It's called tethering, which basically turns your mobile device into a WiFi hotspot, you connect to it via WiFi and it forwards your requests out over it's Internet (3G, edge, etc)... I think Sprint has some device that does it so that you can connect up to 5 devices or something to that effect.

The 3G iPad would get you Internet connectivity as well.

drhama
06-01-2010, 07:31 PM
I have an iPod touch also. I love it and do check the wait times at home. Almost like being there. I bought a Cradlepoint with a Broadband2go (no contract - can purchase time as little as a week for $10) to create my own wifi hotspot anywhere you can get a Sprint cell signal for our upcoming crosscountry trip in August. This will be our first motorhome trip to visit Mickey. I'm so excited. Have read many reviews that say my wifi plan works very well. Can't say for sure right now but am pretty confident I will be able to use my computer and iPod touch on the road and in the parks.

Polynesian Dweller
06-01-2010, 07:31 PM
I think Sprint has some device that does it so that you can connect up to 5 devices or something to that effect.

Yep, the mifi. Problem is it costs $150USD and requires a minimum $60USD per month data contract. It's a second device to carry. Might as well get the iPhone.

DizneyRox
06-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Yep, the mifi. Problem is it costs $150USD and requires a minimum $60USD per month data contract. It's a second device to carry. Might as well get the iPhone.
Ouch, makes me glad I jailbroke my iPhone... :thumbsup:

WDWfanatic742
06-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Ouch, makes me glad I jailbroke my iPhone... :thumbsup:

Figured that's what you did since you can't tether iPhone's (officially anyway...) :cool: :D until 4.0 comes out this summer.

:hide::lurk::spy:

DizneyRox
06-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Figured that's what you did since you can't tether iPhone's (officially anyway...) :cool: :D until 4.0 comes out this summer.

:hide::lurk::spy:
That's an AT&T restriction, not a iPhone (hardware or firmware) restriction. AT&T just announced they are going to allow tethering (officially) for only $20 more a month, once you downgrade to the $25 data plan (which has a cap of 2 Gigs of data). In other words, $55 a month to tether and limited transfer amounts. This applies to the iPad 3G as well.

No thanks, I'm fine!

WDWfanatic742
06-03-2010, 04:45 AM
Yeah that's what I meant. Speaking of which, that new change with the unlimited data plans is going to be interesting to watch. I like knowing with Sprint that I won't get charged extra and not having a set limit.