PDA

View Full Version : Tea Cups question

DisneyMomx2
06-01-2010, 10:51 AM
OK. I admit I am a SUPER wimp when it comes to most rides so I have never done the tea cups in all my years of going to WDW. My DH is trying to get us all on it on our next trip but I am worried about all the spinnng. He said it only spins alot if you spin it. Is he telling me the truth? LOL

alicefan76
06-01-2010, 11:04 AM
The ride makes one large circle rotation. Then each tea cup can turn separately. Each tea cup has a wheel in the center that you can control how fast you spin the cup. If you don't touch it at all the cup still turns itself but not too fast.

I get sick on rides that spin in circles (like the tea cups). However we found that you can hold the wheel steady and even turn counterclockwise slightly to keep the tea cup from spinning. Then you are just turning in 1 slow circle. That way we get to enjoy the ride without getting :sick:

The big question is can you get DH NOT to spin the wheel fast LOL.

Disney4us2
06-01-2010, 11:07 AM
The ride makes one large circle rotation. Then each tea cup can turn separately. Each tea cup has a wheel in the center that you can control how fast you spin the cup. If you don't touch it at all the cup still turns itself but not too fast.

I get sick on rides that spin in circles (like the tea cups). However we found that you can hold the wheel steady and even turn counterclockwise slightly to keep the tea cup from spinning. Then you are just turning in 1 slow circle. That way we get to enjoy the ride without getting :sick:

The big question is can you get DH NOT to spin the wheel fast LOL.

Ditto.... well said

You could always get your own tea cup. That way you are in control of it.

gerald72
06-01-2010, 11:27 AM
The ride consists of three smaller turntables, each consisting of six tea cups, that spins counter-clockwise.
Those turntables are on one larger turntable, which spins clockwise.
You can also manually spin each tea cup. Or attempt to not let it spin.

SBETigg
06-01-2010, 11:34 AM
I get that sick feeling on the teacups no matter what. I can survive it, but I choose not to most of the time. It's not that wild or fast, so you'll make it if you try.

Mickey'sGirl
06-01-2010, 11:51 AM
I can't even look at them riding in the Teacups. If you get ill, don't ride them. They're pure evil. :thedolls:

btharvey
06-01-2010, 11:53 AM
I get that sick feeling on the teacups no matter what. I can survive it, but I choose not to most of the time. It's not that wild or fast, so you'll make it if you try.
As does DW ... there's still a circular ("figure-8?") motion for the path the teacup takes, so you may be successful in keeping it from rotating, but it still revolves. DW can't do teacups and can't do Mission Space (we found that out the hard way ... took her 45 minutes to recover).

If you are _very_ sensitive to motion (i.e., thinking about it sometimes gets to you), I would probably avoid it and _maybe_ try the carousel as the most audacious spinner.

mjm12000
06-01-2010, 11:58 AM
You can certainly control to a good degree the amount of spin your teacup has. With that said the floor itself is turning as does each of the smaller circles as everyone else mentioned. I too suffer motion sickness from spinning but I still go on them and spin them as fast as I can, cause I like the sensation. But I have also rode them without spinning the teacup to insanity and it was still fun with out being overwhelmingly nauseating.... so I say go on them they are a classis just like Dumbo you have to ride them at least once... I would say do it later in the evening when you are almost done for the day so they are less busy and if you do get ill you are not sick for the rest of your day.

DisneyMomx2
06-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the advice! You guys are awesome on here! I know I will always get quick, honest answers and get them fast!! :number1:

#1donaldfan
06-01-2010, 12:11 PM
...no spin if you don't want it....it'll rotate as the ride rotates, however YOU have to make it sping.....!!:cool:

SBETigg
06-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Also, a tip-- if spinning bothers you, focus on a point inside the cup, like the floor of the cup. The more you see the outside objects whizzing by, the sicker you might feel.

Pirate Granny
06-01-2010, 01:39 PM
DON'T get in a tea cup alone...most likely they always have a line and will let a few extra people on to 'join you'...that could result in your worst nightmare...although if you get sick, it could be the latecomers worst nightmare.
:pirate:

GreenB
06-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Hi.
I consider myself very brave and I have to tell you:
I ENJOY VERY MUCH the "fierce" rides. Roller coasters specially.
But please, don't make me ride a spinning ride because I get sick. Very very sick.
I always avoid even the Carrousel.
Having said that, I advise you NOT to ride the teacups. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Fastpasssteve
06-02-2010, 12:11 AM
It's funny how, over the years, one can become less tolerant of rides we used to love. I used to go on every spinning ride there was. Now...not so much. In fact, Mission Space was great the first time...not as great after lunch.

debandbub
06-02-2010, 07:08 AM
I LOVE the thrill rides, but spin rides are a whole other story. I always promise my SO one Teacup ride since she loves it so much. I take a dramamine and put on the "Sea-Bands", and occasionally I even have a sea-sickness patch. And I can do it and not get sick! Like a PP said, keep your focus on one thing, preferably in the cup, or even just keep your eyes on someone in your cup- it's almost comforting to see how much they are enjoying themselves and you can forget how you feel for a bit. Good Luck!

AJ Springfield
06-02-2010, 09:07 AM
Also, a tip-- if spinning bothers you, focus on a point inside the cup, like the floor of the cup. The more you see the outside objects whizzing by, the sicker you might feel.

Exactly what I was going to say. I do this on the carrousel as well. I get sick looking at the cups from the outside of the ride, but I am (usually) ok while on them. I keep focus on my family's faces. I did get woosy once, but sitting on the bench and drinking water helped. Good luck-- I love this ride due to the music and it's usually cool since it is covered.

CU Tiger
06-02-2010, 12:14 PM
You can only control the spinning of your tea cup, but it is still making big circles. Depending on your t olerances, this in itself can get you sick. We are the opposite. My DDs and I are usually the cup spinning the fastest.:mickey: