PDA

View Full Version : Harry POtter ride

ransam
05-31-2010, 02:18 AM
I heard a description about the new ride at the Harry potter land inside the school. It sounds like a "soarin'" type ride. does anyone know if that's true?

The Flying Dutchman
05-31-2010, 09:12 AM
From what I've read, this does seem to be the case. If you happen to have yesterday's paper still, there was an article on the park with some information on that specific ride in the Parade section.

cetacean01
05-31-2010, 09:15 AM
more "Spiderman" than "Soarin". Passengers are harnessed onto a robotic arm which allows for 360 degree motion in all directions, including inversions. From what is being written, it is unlike anything we have seen so far, and absolutely amazing in its seamless incorporation of video, projection, and animatronics. I sincerely hope that Disney will step up its game with more than just princesses in fantasyland after this.

The Flying Dutchman
05-31-2010, 09:28 AM
But from what I've read, the basic premise is very similar, in which you leave that portion of the ride feeling as if you were actually flying over the castle rather than sitting and watching a movie of it. From what I understand this is only a portion of this ride. (More details on the adventure in the article mentioned above.)
As to whether or not there are smells or anything like that (think the oranges in Soarin' :cloud9: )I would guess that they would have something similar but cannot say for sure.

I agree with cetacean01 as for hoping that Disney ups the ante to battle this new technology!

cetacean01
05-31-2010, 09:57 AM
quidditch plays a big part in it. I do know that the ride arms are on a track so it moves into different scenes......also the entire experience is supposed to be around an hour from entering Hogwarts to the final 5 minutes on the actual ride. I really hope that the imagineers are working on the Studios.....an entire new section based on the villains would be very neat!!!

John
05-31-2010, 10:56 AM
See robocoaster...

http://www.intercot.com/news/iaapa/2004/iaapa2.asp

Technology isn't new - using it in an actual ride is...

joonyer
06-01-2010, 03:30 PM
"Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey", the new attraction at the Wizarding world of Happy Potter in the Islands of Adventure theme park, has been open for the past few days for limited previews by on-site guests. According to reports posted by those who have ridden this new attraction, it takes you through numerous scenes from the books and movies by use of "robo-coaster" techonology using Kuka Arms (think robotic arm attached to a coaster track). This is an indoor dark ride along the lines of Spiderman but is not 3-D. The ride vehicles are "benches" that seat 4 persons each, using over the shoulder harnesses similar to those uses on big coasters. But it is not a true high speed thrill coaster and does not do inversions. It creates the sensation of flying through the different scenes, which use a combination of domed projection screens, animatronics and other special effects. It is contained in the large building that has the replica of Hogwarts castle on top. The queue is supposedly an attraction in itself, as it should be, because unless you are in line when it first opens, you can count on 1-2 hour wait times (or longer) this summer.

The "Wizarding World" also includes the new village of Hogsmeade with shops and restaurants and 2 other coasters that were previously part of the "Lost Continent" island but that have been re-themed to fit the new "island" Those are the mild family coaster "Flight of the Hippogriff" (formerly "Flight of the Unicorn") and Dragon Challenge (formerly
"Dueling Dragons") which is a true thrill coaster (actually 2 of them).

WDWfanatic742
06-02-2010, 07:05 PM
It's funny because from what I have read, the queue has been better than the actual ride itself. One review even has the ride ranked 4th just in Islands of Adventure alone. Granted the thing isn't even open yet and I'm are already reading reviews criticizing it. I still can't wait to ride the darn thing though :cool:

NJGIRL
06-03-2010, 07:11 PM
I have also heard a few bad reviews which is really upsetting to me. I really had high hopes for this ride. I know it's not even opened to the public yet but I have heard that alot of people will not be able to ride because the seats will not accomodate larger people.

wire0monkey
06-08-2010, 08:42 PM
There have also been some reviews which have stated that the ride is pretty limited in the size of passenger it can take. If you're very tall or very stout, you may not fit in the ride seats. It may have a weight limit of 250 pounds.

I tried to call US to get guidance on this issue for a 2011 trip I'm planning with my brother (6'6 and 260 lbs) and all customer service would tell us is that the ride has test seats outside the line. They weren't very helpful.

It's sort of frustrating because we were at US and IOA last August. If we can all go on the HP ride, we'll head over again. But if we can't all go on it, we don't really feel like heading over.

Goofy Pluto
06-09-2010, 10:21 AM
There have also been some reviews which have stated that the ride is pretty limited in the size of passenger it can take. If you're very tall or very stout, you may not fit in the ride seats. It may have a weight limit of 250 pounds.

Ugh. That's all I need to hear. I'm very tall and ... uh... over 250. It would really not be good if I couldn't fit into this ride. :(

PlutoPlanet
06-10-2010, 12:27 PM
What are they going to do, weigh people before they get on? Do they have a state-of-the-art Customer Service way to tell people, "You cannot ride?"

I wouldn't want that job.

NJGIRL
06-10-2010, 04:19 PM
What are they going to do, weigh people before they get on? Do they have a state-of-the-art Customer Service way to tell people, "You cannot ride?"

I wouldn't want that job.

From what I heard from someone that rode it.......There is a model of the ride vehicle before you even get into line. If you can't get the bar over you won't be able to ride. Once you get to the front of the line if the staff thinks that you are not going to fit they take you out of line and make you sit in another vehicle so they can determine if the bar will go down. This seems like a painful process for guests and staff. I can see alot of angry people. I can't understand why they would not make a new ride that can fit everyone. This does not make any sense and I am dissappionted in them.

PlutoPlanet
06-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Thanks NJGIRL.

I still would not want that job. Not even for $11 an hour.

WDWfanatic742
06-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Since the kuka arm being used has been said to be rated to hold over a ton of payload (people), it doesn't really seem like there is going to be a set weight to see if you will fit or not. It's more about your shape than anything else. I'm going to guess if you can fit on Hulk/the old Dueling Dragons/Mummy, you should be most likely okay to ride.

But I haven't really seen a defintive ride that is similar seat wise. Although I doubt there probably is one out there since this is brand new technology using a kuka arm on a track...