PDA

View Full Version : New Soarin ?

wedoada
05-30-2010, 09:44 PM
I've seen posts about a new Soarin "movie" that isn't just Cailf based.

Is this true and if so does anyone know when the new scenes would start ?

Thanks

RandyW

ransam
05-31-2010, 02:06 AM
any idea when this will go into the ride?

Dsnygirl
05-31-2010, 04:06 AM
Cool!! I just love Soarin', but I have to admit to wondering when they might update the scenery sometime... can't wait to see what they do!

Ed
05-31-2010, 06:41 AM
That's been rumored since the day that Soarin' opened in Florida. Personally, I'll believe it when I see it.

Superzeus84
05-31-2010, 08:47 AM
Yeah, I think has been a "rumor" since it first opened. I would be all about it, but im not gonna hold my breath.

johnO
05-31-2010, 11:16 AM
It would be nice to have footage from all over the U.S.

JPL
05-31-2010, 11:59 AM
This has been a long rumored change but most likely we won't see any changes until the rides popularity starts to decline. There is no reason to change the attraction and spend money on a new film while the ride still has 90 plus minutes waits.

Gator
05-31-2010, 12:45 PM
This has been a long rumored change but most likely we won't see any changes until the rides popularity starts to decline. There is no reason to change the attraction and spend money on a new film while the ride still has 90 plus minutes waits.

That's what I was thinking. It's a great ride and people still love it. They'll change it when it's NOT the top attraction at Epcot. Kinda like what they did with Tower of Terror.

Polynesian Dweller
05-31-2010, 01:59 PM
I kind of see the wait times as being due more to its being a slow loading attraction rather than popularity alone. There are only two theatres and and only so many people can get through in any 15 minute period (loading and unloading in that figure).

But I agree, there is little initiative to spend extra on a ride upgrade if it won't pull in more people.

LudwigVonDrake
05-31-2010, 09:39 PM
I shall believe it when I see it :mickey:

Tinker Fan
05-31-2010, 11:05 PM
Soarin is one of our favorite rides and go on it a few times while we are there, would be cool to see a different scenery.

Darbylew
05-31-2010, 11:09 PM
We love Soarin and never miss riding it when
we are at Epcot. We try to ride it more than
once while we are there. I would love to see
more!
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND GONG BACK IN
OCTOBER! :mickey::D

elmjimmlm
06-01-2010, 12:28 PM
It would be nice to see different scenes but keep the same music... I hope that will never change...:mickey:

MidnTPK
06-01-2010, 03:32 PM
From the unsubstantiated rumor department.....

I've read that there will likely be a Soarin added to DisneySea in Tokyo when that park has an expansion. The rumor was that Tokyo would be adding its own custom film. So I'm sure the plan was for the US parks to start using the new film sometime after it premiered in Tokyo.

The rumored expansion was going to be for DisneySea's 10 year anniversary, which is September 2011. Given that an expansion has not been announced, those plans must be on hold. Maybe Shanghai will be getting a new Soarin.

Which is a long way of saying that Disney is hoping to not have to pay full price for the attraction upgrade, since the foreign parks are all owned by other companies (with Disney as the licensor or joint venture partner).

Ian
06-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Let's not be too quick to pooh-pooh the idea of it getting a new film strictly based on the current perceived popularity of the attraction.

What's the most popular attraction in all of WDW right now?

Toy Story Mania.

What attraction was recently announced to be getting new content?

Toy Story Mania.

PopPhan
06-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Let's not be too quick to pooh-pooh the idea of it getting a new film strictly based on the current perceived popularity of the attraction.

What's the most popular attraction in all of WDW right now?

Toy Story Mania.

What attraction was recently announced to be getting new content?

Toy Story Mania.

Not that I don't agree with your premise, Ian, but I believe the TSMM change has more to do with new movie promotion than anything else. There is no movie or other promotion that would prompt a change/addition to the video in Soarin.

Ian
06-02-2010, 07:43 AM
Not that I don't agree with your premise, Ian, but I believe the TSMM change has more to do with new movie promotion than anything else. There is no movie or other promotion that would prompt a change/addition to the video in Soarin.True ... I'm sure you're right.

Also, I suspect the costs to develop a new game for TSM are probably significantly cheaper as compared to making a new Soarin' film.

5togetherWDW
06-02-2010, 08:21 AM
In the Ridley Pearson book, Kingdom Keepers 3, they are actively working on the new film for Soarin. Since that is the same book series that gives the true reasons for VMK being closed to the public -- it must be fact based :mickey: Unless the Overtakers do something to the film, it will surely be ready soon . . .
Seriously - I wonder if some of the rumour getting more press lately is from the readers of the Kingdom Keeper books. (We love the book series -- though this one being based in Epcot, we found more little flaws -- how can they describe umbrellas over the tables in the Land if Soarin is open ? ? ? . . . gee)

CaptainSad
06-02-2010, 09:12 AM
I would say the rumors could be true. I bet they already have different videos already done. The ride mechanisms are the kind they could program to follow the scenery of any film. There would not have to be refurb at all to do this. Just press for alternating films. It would not have to be the same one each time you ride it.

MushuGrl
06-02-2010, 11:05 AM
5togetherWDW beat me! I was about to mention KKIII and how neat it would be to have the Soarin' they are working on in the book come to life (not gonna say what it is for those that haven't read it yet...but GAAAAAAAAAW IT'D BE NEAT!)

kemps@wdw
06-05-2010, 11:08 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again! :humph: How about..."Soarin Over America" :flag:

JabberJaws
06-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Last I heard the idea was to create a "Soarin' over the World" theme to tie into the WS. Basically, you would "soar" over each of the 11 countries featured in the WS, ending in the US - flying into WDW and down over Epcot (similar to the DL ending it has now).

The inherent problem with this (and the reason why WDW used the DL footage originally) is the cost involved. For one, it is quite expensive to film using the IMAX style cameras needed for the ride's unique dome screen. Two, getting air-space and filming rights for flying over and filming in each of the countries needed would involve miles of red tape, money, time, etc.

It is one of those things w/ a plan in place but that has yet to make the budget cut. As long as the ride stays uber-popular w/ the current film, they won't change a thing.