PDA

View Full Version : Summer Day Trips.....The Greek Festival Part 2

NJGIRL
05-29-2010, 02:37 AM
We will be doing alot of day trips this summer so I thought I would post our experiences with everyone. Since many of us are watching our $$$$ I will post prices as well as personal experiences so everyone can decide for themselves whether the cost is worth it for them to make the trip.

While this is not really a trip I am posting about it to remind everyone that the festivals out there during the summer months can be very fun and entertaining.

We went to the annual Greek Festival in my home town. It is held at the Greek Church and is a four day/night event. We arrive at 5:30 pm and it was already crowded. They had a nice selection of amusment rides set up. There were also games of chance and vendors selling many different things, but the main draw for us was the "real" Greek food and the Greek entertainment.

The entertainment we went to see was the youth Greek dancers. They did many dances and the kids did a great job. Some of them have been dancing since they were 7 years old and it shows, they looked like pros. The performance was very energetic and they got the audience involved. It was fun. They also had a Greek band scheduled to play in the hall from 9pm to 1am so you could dance the traditional Greek dances.

They had a huge tent set up where they were serving real Greek food. The combo platters were $12.00 and they had a mound of food on them. I am not even going to try to spell any of these foods but everyone said the food was really good. I only had a Greek salad and rice wrapped in grape leaves and both were good. I made sure I left room for dessert. Just like the food all of the dessert was homemade. It was a little pricey at $3 for a small piece but it was very good. Most of the desserts were made with honey, nuts and flakey pastry. I'm not a big fan of honey but the desserts were really tasty and even though they all seemed to be made of the same things the few that I tried did taste different.

Total for food, dessert and soft drinks for two people $35.00

We were there for four hours and enjoyed ourselves.

Bethanymouse
05-31-2010, 08:31 PM
Sounds like a fun day. My husband is greek and would love to try one of these festivals. We are from Jersey as well and they seem to be popping up all over the place around this time of the year!

NJGIRL
06-01-2010, 06:57 AM
Sounds like a fun day. My husband is greek and would love to try one of these festivals. We are from Jersey as well and they seem to be popping up all over the place around this time of the year!

This summer I have planned to do alot of things in "my back yard". I think a lot of people (me included) forget all of the great things that are available to do so close to home. On the subject of "fairs", there are two really cool ones in PA not far from me. The Renaissance Faire in Manheim runs in Sept & Oct. The other is Bastille Day at the Eastern State Pen that is in June.

Bethanymouse
06-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Thanks for letting me know about the other "fairs" going on. We are in NJ also. We like to take a day trip to Ocean Grove- they have great shops and a nice beach. We also enjoy local county fair- NJ's largest fair in Northern NJ.