PDA

View Full Version : Infant Asthma

kdbianchini
05-27-2010, 04:48 PM
Hi,
My 4 month old son was just diagnosed with infant asthma. I was just wondering if anyone else had their child diagnosed with asthma at such a young age and if anyone had any tips.
Thanks!

jodijo
05-27-2010, 06:31 PM
My daughter was diagnosed around 6 weeks old. She was put on breathing treatments with an at home nebulizer. Fortunately, it got better. Hers was caused by being born premature with underdeveloped lungs. When she got older and stronger, it was less severe. Now she only has problems when she has colds.

Although she did not like the treatments, we tried to make it a special time. As she got older, I would sit and read to her or cuddle with her. It made the treatment more like special one-on-one time with mom instead of a medical procedure. I think we both enjoyed that.

Good luck with everything. Although it was overwhelming at first, we became accustomed to a new lifestyle of inhalers and treatments quickly. I know you will too.

DizneyRox
05-27-2010, 07:14 PM
Cold induced asthma symptoms here. Asthma plan of pulmacort twice a day and albuterol as necessary. It's been more than 6 months since we had to do a treatment, I think they are maybe growing out of it.

They aren't fun, especially the albuterol, it seems to take forever. At 2am it isn't high on my list of things I'd rather be doing.

kdbianchini
05-28-2010, 09:05 AM
Thank you for your replies. He doesn't like to sit still for the breathing treatments. I will have to take your advice Jodijo and make it a bonding moment for us. I really hope he grows out of it. His dr is confident that he will.

Jessie
05-31-2010, 11:33 PM
DD1 was hospitalized at 6 weeks due to complications from a cold that resulted in her being diagnosed with asthma. Very scary time for us. From that age until about 3.5 she would need neb treatments during most colds and flus. We did albuterol and pulmicort. We also were given a prescription for a faster acting treatment that we got from the ER, atriovent. We reserved that for the bad ones.

Now at almost 5 DD1 is doing MUCH better. She has a cold right now and has needed one treatment. She's had three between fall and now and didn't need a neb treatment during those. That was a huge step forward in her health.

One thing that her pediatrician recommended to me was that she not consume any dairy (or me while I was nursing) as that can exacerbate asthma symptoms.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I know how frustrating and scary it can be when your LO can't breath well.